I Spent a THOUSAND Dollars on HDMI Cables.. for Science

ColinLTT

Download seams not to work for me?

Can someone please copy the Exel sheet to a google doc or up-lode it somware?

Thanks

On 12/5/2022 at 8:16 AM, AV_Integrated said:

This is one of my favorite tests the LTT has run.  I am looking forward to them updating it.  Hopefully early 2023 will see the Labs produce a new document and a new video about HDMI cables a year+ down the road.

There are several areas of improvement to the results which really need to happen.

1:  Links and an original part number clearly shown.

2.  Pricing should come direct from the manufacturer if possible.  USA pricing at Monoprice was less than half of what was listed on the test page.  But, Canadian Ruples and USA dollars may not match up. 😄

3. Separate lengths into different tabs.  Calling out Monoprice, when the ONLY 15 foot cables tested were from Monoprice is BS.  Especially when their 6' cables did jus as well as every other company's 6' cable.

4. Include test results for 4K (18Gb/s) as well as 8K (48Gb/s).  So, for those fine with 4K solutions, they will be confident in their purchase.

5. Test more brands at longer lengths.  The one thing that was abundantly clear, is that 6ft/2m lengths tended to be fine from most of the popular manufacturers.

6. People want cheap cables.  It's great to test expensive models, if they are made available, but read what people are looking to purchase and see if you get can get and test them.

7.  Try a way to test/try out, longer cables that are active.  I know the tester can't do it at all, but perhaps a VTG that can throw a signal at different data rates and see what cables support it when connected to a full 8K display.

8.  Test longer cables which are copper.  People want to know if anything works at those longer lengths.

Be careful using the data this machine produced.

They never actually demonstrate any consistent issue with cables that are out of spec.

The way 'science' should work is that they see an issue with a cable, predict why they think it's failing, hook it up to their machine, then check to see if they are correct.

During the video, there are a bunch of cables that they declare to be bad exclusively because they don't conform to whatever random battery of tests the overpriced machine is giving them.

Maybe cables don't need to conform to the spec exactly to work well? Most of my cables come from the $1 bin at the thrift store and I have never experienced an issue.

I would love to see something where they actually demonstrate a performance issue with a cable that can be directly correlated to a value their machine is spitting out.

LTT needs to hire a data scientist. A bunch of the tests from the 'lab' don't seem to have good methodology behind them.

You bring up a good point with the 15 foot cable issue. There's not enough data to draw conclusions, yet they think there is. These people are just internet personalities and engineers(not meant as an insult), not researchers.

I guess the whole point is just to drive clicks and get people to watch videos, which is certainly working. Even though I mostly hate-watch, I'm still here engaging.

4 hours ago, pstrick2 said:

Be careful using the data this machine produced.

They never actually demonstrate any consistent issue with cables that are out of spec.

The way 'science' should work is that they see an issue with a cable, predict why they think it's failing, hook it up to their machine, then check to see if they are correct.

During the video, there are a bunch of cables that they declare to be bad exclusively because they don't conform to whatever random battery of tests the overpriced machine is giving them.

Maybe cables don't need to conform to the spec exactly to work well? Most of my cables come from the $1 bin at the thrift store and I have never experienced an issue.

I would love to see something where they actually demonstrate a performance issue with a cable that can be directly correlated to a value their machine is spitting out.

LTT needs to hire a data scientist. A bunch of the tests from the 'lab' don't seem to have good methodology behind them.

You bring up a good point with the 15 foot cable issue. There's not enough data to draw conclusions, yet they think there is. These people are just internet personalities and engineers(not meant as an insult), not researchers.

I guess the whole point is just to drive clicks and get people to watch videos, which is certainly working. Even though I mostly hate-watch, I'm still here engaging.

No, the data in the video did exactly what they set out to do:

See if the cables met the specs they were advertised to meet.  And a bunch of them did not.

You don't need complicated data analysis to show that "A cable advertised to do XXXX doesn't do it."

Also, @ColinLTTthe download links are borked?  IDK where they went wrong, but they def did.

18 hours ago, tkitch said:

You don't need complicated data analysis to show that "A cable advertised to do XXXX doesn't do it."

Also, @ColinLTTthe download links are borked?  IDK where they went wrong, but they def did.

That's my point. You actually do need data analysis.

I say this as someone who does data analysis every day.

What is something the cables were supposed to do the cables were unable to do?

I'm fine with them saying a cable doesn't match some meaningless ideal spec.

Does that actually translate into any repeatable issue with the cable?

Simply put:

Do cables need to match the spec to perform 100% of needed functions for the end user?

Without finding that data, this machine is useless. In fact, it's anti-consumer for LTT to state that one cable is inferior to another if LTT can't actually demonstrate an issue with an out of spec cable.

On 12/9/2022 at 12:23 PM, hxwxd said:

Do you still have the excel file available? I tried the link and am getting an error.

On 12/12/2022 at 8:26 AM, quater said:

Download seams not to work for me?

Can someone please copy the Exel sheet to a google doc or up-lode it somware?

Thanks

On 12/13/2022 at 11:23 PM, tkitch said:

No, the data in the video did exactly what they set out to do:

See if the cables met the specs they were advertised to meet.  And a bunch of them did not.

Luckily for you guys, I spent a minute repairing the broken s3 url (seems the signature explicated in the url is invalid, throwing a 403 error back.)

TL;DR method - Attachments are reattached here. Check next reply for part 2 of the 7z archive.

Edit: Apparently even my re-uploads are broken as well. So much for one click solution for you guys

Alt method if you're curious: use these links (fixed versions of their original ones)

7z archive

.xlsx spreadsheet

-- Both of these will download files that have an _ followed by the 7z or .xlsx extension in the middle of the file name. Either trim everything after the extension (and edit the _ to a .)  out from the filename, or don't - a 7z archive is still an archive; it extracted just fine.

"I don't trust random forum posts with file links" method:

- Click the original attachments from OP

- when you get the "This website at ... might be temporarily down" error on chrome, copy the link it is stating**

- Remove everything after and including the first ? symbol.

- Go to link, auto-downloads

**This showed up on chrome, though my firefox nightly simply opened an empty new tab instead of any error message.

47392656_HDMICableTestingResults.xlsx 461598053_HDMICabletestingdata.7z.001

7 minutes ago, Defiect said:

Luckily for you guys, I spent a minute repairing the broken s3 url (seems the signature explicated in the url is invalid, throwing a 403 error back.)

TL;DR method - Attachments are reattached here. Check next reply for part 2 of the 7z archive.

Alt method if you're curious: use these links (fixed versions of their original ones)

7z archive

.xlsx spreadsheet

-- Both of these will download files that have an _ followed by the 7z or .xlsx extension in the middle of the file name. Either trim everything after the extension (and edit the _ to a .)  out from the filename, or don't - a 7z archive is still an archive; it extracted just fine.

- when you get the "This website at ... might be temporarily down" error on chrome, copy the link it is stating**

**This showed up on chrome, though my firefox nightly simply opened an empty new tab instead of any error message.

47392656_HDMICableTestingResults.xlsx 74.33 kB · 0 downloads 461598053_HDMICabletestingdata.7z.001 17.17 MB · 0 downloads

Kinda sucks that I have to be data capped at 20MB when I'm doing this instead of forum/LMG staff

Edit: lol never mind, these attachments are broken as well. See my other method above.

461598053_HDMICabletestingdata.7z.002

• 2 weeks later...

Same for me. Links arent working.

Edit: nvm this post is working.

On 12/17/2022 at 2:39 AM, Defiect said:

Edit: Apparently even my re-uploads are broken as well. So much for one click solution for you guys

7z archive

.xlsx spreadsheet

47392656_HDMICableTestingResults.xlsx 74.33 kB · 141 downloads 461598053_HDMICabletestingdata.7z.001 17.17 MB · 36 downloads

Hi guys. Just purchased an LG G2 and I'm trying to invest wisely in functional HDMI 2.1 cables. I want to go optical to get the quicker switching and I also don't want to spend 200$ per cable for Monster cables. I will be getting 3 cables for Apple TV 4K, eARC soundbar and PS5 so I'll need a solid performer that'll do 4K@120hz, with Dolby Vision etc.

I know your video is a bit outdated @LinusTech @ColinLTTbut I loved the testing done and would still appreciate being able to view the Excel file.

I keep getting this error.

image.png.21acabe58990f7e52e8334c41418cc77.png

What gives?

For others considering this, here is another resource that we could cross-reference with Linus' data. https://padlet.com/technodad55/TestedHDMI

FYI There is a bug report for this, and the team is aware and working on the attachment issue:

I don’t think it’s fixed yet but we can wait patiently. Does anyone know if the Cable Matters fiber optic hdmi 2.1 cable is any good? And the ruipro 8k?

On 11/8/2021 at 12:00 PM, ColinLTT said:

We told you we’d do it, and here it is! Testing a whackload of HDMI 2.1 and 2.0 cables to find out if you’ve been wasting your money on cables for no good reason. 

Data from tests is attached to this post. If you are an educator or otherwise have a legitimate reason for wanting to look at the .json files from each test I will provide them, but shoot me a DM. For most people the PDF results will be more than enough. 

461598053_HDMICabletestingdata.7z 47.2 MB · 11,716 downloads HDMI Cable Testing Results.xlsx 74.33 kB · 50,603 downloads

The link is broken? can someone please send me the list?

8MqyRZT.png

• 2 weeks later...

I only receive basically empty .xml-files. Am I doing something worng? The results as a PDF would be great. Thank you

FYI: Safari v16.2 on MacOS v13.1

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone suggest a 40-50ft cable?

I'm guessing I'm going to need to go AOC or power cable.

• 1 month later...

anyone know what ugreen DP cables are like?  

https://www.amazon.com.au/UGREEN-Displayport-DisplayPort-Braided-32-4Gbps/dp/B088H46Q3Y/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1OUHAO71P65VG&keywords=ugreen%2Bdp%2Bcables&qid=1679878466&sprefix=ugreen%2Bdp%2Bcabl%2Caps%2C308&sr=8-5&th=1 

Looking for a good DP cable and I have sone ugreen usb cables and they have been great

So, you have the tester. Can I ship you cables, and have them shipped back with test results? Or buy verified cables from you? I need verified cables rather than hoping a cable didnt slip past QC. The $15k for the tester isnt viable for my use case. 

• 7 months later...

Hello 

Found this today, very interesting test , results.

Was wonder if there is simmilar video but comparing 1.4 ,2.0 and 2.1 cables but from construction point of view.it would be really nice to know what exactly the differences inside the cable.

i did some checks but nothing obvious founded between good quality 1.4 cable and certified 2.1 cable . From what i have seen assembly, terminations , shielding , twisting etc.. were simmilar way done.

the only difference was that one had 4 and another had 5 shielded twisted pairs .

So the main question is what exactly the difference is between 1.4 High speed good quality cable and 2.1 Ultra High Speed  cable which make the 2.1 capable of transfer 48Gbps ?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

So are we ever going to find out which cable was used in the test and whether the cable companies updated their cables?

Intel Core i5-10600KF @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.25V

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi BIOS v17

XPG D50 32GB DDR4-3200 16-19-9-36 2T (Samsung M-Die)

XPG S11 Pro 1TB and Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB

ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC

Corsair RM650x

Phantek P360A with Noctua Exhaust Fans

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2023 at 10:48 PM, geokilla said:

So are we ever going to find out which cable was used in the test and whether the cable companies updated their cables?

That's funny.