I Spent a THOUSAND Dollars on HDMI Cables.. for Science

ColinLTT

statistically speaking one failure in three is already a pattern. the p-estimate for binomial probabilities would then obviously be 0.33. but the exact 1-0.05 confidence interval for said test is [0.00840 0.90570]. the true probability of the cable type/brand failing could as well be 90%. one would have to test for 0 out of 36 to be confident (0.95) that more than 90% [0 0.09739] of all the cables would pass the test.

r-code attached:

library(Hmisc)

binconf(x=1, n=3, alpha=.05, method="exact")
binconf(x=0, n=36, alpha=.05, method="exact")

---------------------------------------------------------------

format.pval, units

PointEst       Lower     		Upper
 0.3333333 		0.008403759 	0.9057007
 PointEst 		Lower      		Upper
 0     			0 				0.09739376

On 11/9/2021 at 6:10 AM, IPD said:

My takeaway from this is that I should pretty much look for companies that have proven 25' (or even 50') HDMI 2.1 cables; because if they are quality at 25', their shorter 2.1 cables will likely be up to snuff as well.  (i.e. company is unlikely to use 2 different specs of cable to make different lengths of HDMI).

On that note, anyone know if the maximum length for non-active 2.1 cables has changed from previous specs?

I actually don't believe this to be the case. After cutting a fair few of these cables open its clear to see that conductor gauge changes with length. Anyone using a conductor that's thick enough for 25 foot runs for a 5 foot run is going to end up with a more expensive (and less competitive) cable. That's not to say they don't exist (they DO have use cases) but I wouldn't bet on the above assumption. 

1 hour ago, ColinLTT said:

I actually don't believe this to be the case. After cutting a fair few of these cables open its clear to see that conductor gauge changes with length. Anyone using a conductor that's thick enough for 25 foot runs for a 5 foot run is going to end up with a more expensive (and less competitive) cable. That's not to say they don't exist (they DO have use cases) but I wouldn't bet on the above assumption. 

Wow, thanks for the info!  Would not have suspected that.  Good to know.

Still in for a review of Blue Jeans Cable.

I'd love to see some professional branded cables be tested for comparison. IE Extron, Crestron or Kramer. Brands that are used in professional AV setups rather than consumer level. I know its not in lots of viewers price point to buy a $200 HDMI cable, but it would be interesting to see the value /$ difference.

I know where I used to work we had very low failure rate with Extron cables, and one of our tech had a pair of wire snips and would destroy any monoprice type cables because they would cause so many tickets to be issues for odd video quality issues when connecting to a 25ft cable extension for example.

I've noticed that amazon has 2 differently looking AmazonBasics braided HDMI cables, which one was tested?

613ji7xh+PL._AC_SL1420_.jpg

61YaqGbQvjL._AC_SL1121_.jpg

On 11/8/2021 at 1:00 PM, ColinLTT said:

We told you we’d do it, and here it is! Testing a whackload of HDMI 2.1 and 2.0 cables to find out if you’ve been wasting your money on cables for no good reason. 

Data from tests is attached to this post. If you are an educator or otherwise have a legitimate reason for wanting to look at the .json files from each test I will provide them, but shoot me a DM. For most people the PDF results will be more than enough. 

461598053_HDMICabletestingdata.7z 47.2 MB · 4,750 downloads HDMI Cable Testing Results.xlsx 74.33 kB · 18,891 downloads

I usually use Twisted Veins for my cables and was curious to know what your thoughts on them were.

So I have a possibility dumb question.

I just got gifted a 4 k capture card for my birthday but my PC is roughly 6 feet away after running the cables nicely.

Do I bite the bullet and just get 6 foot hdmi 2.1 cables and redo the whole computer setup orientation or go with hdmi 2.0 Amazon basics 10 foot  cables ? 

I am having a hard time deciding even after watching the video and was hoping my fellow nerds could help me with some advice.

So what do I do if I need longer than 10 ft... With my computer to my tv setup and running the cable in wall 15' is the bare minimum I need, I bought a 25' mono price and I only need HDMI 2.0... Are there came extensions if I just bought two 10' cables? 

On 11/16/2021 at 5:31 PM, patriciadiaz1919 said:

This confusing where do I get links to buy and what the longest it can do.

What part is confusing?  It's fairly simple.  

• 3 weeks later...

They said they tested best buy brands but I did not see rocket fish. Was curious if rocket fish cables are any good. Also does the wire itself really matter like solid vs stranded? An is there any difference between 3ft vs 6ft?

Stouchi 10ft 2.1 cable off amazon is failing 4k 120hz - can't even get windows/nvidia control panel to show it.  I am connecting it between a Asus Strix 3090 and a Samsung QN90a 85 inch QLED TV.   It negotiated 4k 120hz for like a split second when i first plugged it in but then it black screened on me and I had to power cycle PC to get video back on that port.  Afterwards I never got 120hz again.  Samsung HDMI 1 Input Signal Plus is turned on.  Still doesn't work.  i think this cable is fail.

I'm from the UK and cant get hold of any of those suggested haha. 

I have a few Syncwire cables would be interested to know what they are like when tested? 

• 2 weeks later...

@ColinLTT It's been a few months and not all the cables you tested have links, model numbers, or any way of knowing which cable was tested. Is there any way that we can get the list filled out, especially the amazon basics cables that passed 2.1 since they're so cheap! Amazon has multiple braided HDMI cables, so I'm not sure which ones were tested and passed.

Could you also test Anker's HDMI cable, I'm a big fan of the brand and trust them, but based on your testing, brand doens't mean anything!

What about chinese cables like UGREEN and Blitzwolf..i have blitzwolf BW-HDC5 HDMI 2.1 8K cable its good or not.. i think that UGREEN is littlebit better but cant find it.

Blitzwolf cable is about 10$ on banggood.

1643047247581.jpg

1643047247576.jpg

Super great video which was quite informative about what to look out when buying HDMI cables... 

I'm looking to test some HDMI cables in the same way to check if a supplier is providing a quality cable. Can you recommend a company/person/place where I can have these tests done? 

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2022 at 2:52 PM, Mr.Sassaman said:

@ColinLTT It's been a few months and not all the cables you tested have links, model numbers, or any way of knowing which cable was tested. Is there any way that we can get the list filled out, especially the amazon basics cables that passed 2.1 since they're so cheap! Amazon has multiple braided HDMI cables, so I'm not sure which ones were tested and passed.

Could you also test Anker's HDMI cable, I'm a big fan of the brand and trust them, but based on your testing, brand doens't mean anything!

This is where I am at. The reply that Colin made to someone else earlier in this thread was that the PDFs match the numbers in the excel sheet, but then the excel sheet has no product link, ASIN number, or anything that actually helps delineate the product. Even if I can use all the context clues to find that product, there is no way to know if the product has changed in the interim.

• 1 month later...

I just purchased a new TV - I got suckered into grabbing the new QD-OLED QN65S95B from Samsung. I guess if I want "to get the most" out of the TV I need all new HDMI cables, as I have mainly "High speed" and only 1 Premium, with no "Ultra High Speed"

The difference is that UHS is the only one capable of carrying HDMI 2.1

If I'm wrong please correct me I need to know.

So it seems I need all new cables

2x 4' for the Xbox and PS

1x 12' for the PC *I'm not sure this is even viable but I'm hoping it is

1x 2' for the HDMI switch

Without access to the type of tester LTT used in their video what would indicate a cable is failing? Artifacts?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

In order to guarantee performance over long distance (15ft) at the end of the video Linus suggests an active cable.. is the Amazon basics active cable a good enough choice? I'm looking to get 4k@120hz from an evga 3080 to samsung QN90B

• 1 month later...

So, which was the absolute winner for 10 feet or under? 

• 1 month later...

This is one of my favorite tests the LTT has run.  I am looking forward to them updating it.  Hopefully early 2023 will see the Labs produce a new document and a new video about HDMI cables a year+ down the road.

There are several areas of improvement to the results which really need to happen.

1:  Links and an original part number clearly shown.

2.  Pricing should come direct from the manufacturer if possible.  USA pricing at Monoprice was less than half of what was listed on the test page.  But, Canadian Ruples and USA dollars may not match up. 😄

3. Separate lengths into different tabs.  Calling out Monoprice, when the ONLY 15 foot cables tested were from Monoprice is BS.  Especially when their 6' cables did jus as well as every other company's 6' cable.

4. Include test results for 4K (18Gb/s) as well as 8K (48Gb/s).  So, for those fine with 4K solutions, they will be confident in their purchase.

5. Test more brands at longer lengths.  The one thing that was abundantly clear, is that 6ft/2m lengths tended to be fine from most of the popular manufacturers.

6. People want cheap cables.  It's great to test expensive models, if they are made available, but read what people are looking to purchase and see if you get can get and test them.

7.  Try a way to test/try out, longer cables that are active.  I know the tester can't do it at all, but perhaps a VTG that can throw a signal at different data rates and see what cables support it when connected to a full 8K display.

8.  Test longer cables which are copper.  People want to know if anything works at those longer lengths.