I Spent a THOUSAND Dollars on HDMI Cables.. for Science

ColinLTT

After looking through this data I'm wondering if LMG could do testing on Audioquest's (or Magnolia, depending on your region) HDMI 2.1 cables and either [most likely] debunk or prove if there is a difference between them at all, and what percentage of it is purely marketing.

For those of you who don't know, Audioquest released a TON of HDMI 2.1 cables when the spec was finalized.

Here is their entire lineup (all prices are from Best Buy in the US for the 5-foot (1.7-meter) cable):

Audioquest Blueberry - $39.95

Audioquest Pearl - $49.98

Audioquest Ocean - $49.99

Audioquest Forest - $99.95

Audioquest Sky - $99.95

Audioquest Cinnamon - $169.95

Audioquest Carbon - $279.95

Audioquest Vodka - $499.98

Audioquest Thunderbird - $895.00

Audioquest Firebird - $1,895.00

Audioquest Dragon - $2,995.00

That's right folks, you can purchase your very own 5-foot HDMI 2.1 cable for ONLY $2,995! Or, get the 10-foot version for $4,495!

That's $600/foot and $500/foot respectively.

Reminder: ever single one of these is a 5-foot HDMI 2.1 cable. There is no other significant difference that the average consumer would be able to detect.

Shock and horror aside, I actually have a few 15-foot cables of the Ocean version (and  am very happy with them) but in the video today Linus said that signal degradation at those speeds becomes a problem once you cross the 10-foot threshold. So, personally, I would find it very interesting if LMG would test at least one of every type from Audioquest (Magnolia) for the 5-foot version and then also the largest cable length available for each series and see what the difference is...if any, let's be real here.

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

An Active HDMI cable like they said for those kinds of lengths. You'll need to look up your own reviews in terms of reliability since they are not covered in this video

It's in the first post

image.png.bafc1dd1aec89adb5307659a640323b8.png

you can open it using google sheets or libreoffice you if you don't have MS Excel

My apologize, I didn't recognize the format file and went and download open office. 
This kind of review could have helped me to find which company is the most reliable, but ... the way the script of these video are made are not straight to the point and failed to deliver the expectation from a viewer point of view when it come the need to buy hdmi and need help to know which one.
It's unfortunate there's no amazonbasic 2.1 (yet)

6 hours ago, geokilla said:

As a Canadian and Linus being Canadian, I'm surprised they didn't test PrimeCables.

Isn't PrimeCables the Canadian brand for Monoprice?

5 hours ago, captcrunch said:

I was really hoping to see some Prime Cables brand on this list. To see if they were any good I just picked up some 2.1 "certified" cables. 

Pretty sure PrimeCables is Monoprice rebranded.  Someone can correct me if i'm wrong...

2 hours ago, Connerq said:

Don't misunderstand, I'm not stating the difference was light and day. Each time we'd listen it sounded incredible! From the very beginning it was awesome! 6k in speakers with like a 3k amp and speaker wire that I would buy a graphics card for? It was amazing. But just changing out the HDMI was able to push the envelope just a little bit more until we got to diminishing returns. Thinking it over I think they started with at the time the Forrest cables -> Cinnamon -> Carbon. They made a big jump looking at the audioquest lineup now from Cinnamon to Carbon so we would still hear a difference and it didn't start to get muddied. After this I personally invested into some of their cheaper Ocean cables a little after this and I've not gotten a better picture. But my stereo equipment I'm fairly convinced is just a little bit cleaner. And its normally what I recommend to other people, just better than basic cables and stop there, you'll get a little more out of it and you don't need to empty the wallet to get tangible benefits.

The $1000 HDMI they tested years ago was the first video I was disappointed in personally since they didn't test it as I've outlined here. They're right, its not like its a faster cable. IMO, you're only gonna hear the difference. I'm pretty sure it was garbage anyways, the gauge on it was pretty pathetic for a $100 much less 10x.

I understand what you're saying, and it makes sense when sending audio via analog. But that shouldn't be possible when sending audio via digital. A bit is a bit and should always produce the same sound as long as the received signal is intact.

I did a bit of research and the only possible issue I found is ground loop hum, which is quite a specific thing, and probably not what you're mentioning here. I also found people stating the same thing as I am.

I also had a look at https://www.audioquest.com/page/aq-hdmi.html and I didn't see anything about why the audio would be better. I mean yeah they mention it, but then they only talk about how their cables are fast and how they do better than the HDMI certification, which probably means faster speeds and less jitter. But jitter doesn't really matter as long as it does not modify the signal sent.

I honestly hope you do hear a nice difference if you spent more on that HDMI cable. But unfortunately I think it might be a placebo effect. Regarding what happened at Best Buy during the demo, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if they faked it in some way.

16 minutes ago, Fezzik said:

I never said it wasn't. I was just making the data available for people to see without going to another site. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

My 7z wont open this with 7 console. I have to r.click to get it to semi works. And, it makes about 50+ pdf, which open in edge, with nothing but pass/fail data. No indication as to what brand, length, 2.0 or 2.1 cable. And when i open my 7z console it list 4 Fallout folders that are not on my pc. what's going on? How can i get a list of the cable brand names that pass/fail?

I have a much simpler test.

Will it run Far Cry 5 bench without the screen going black on a LG OLED TV.

After watching another LTT video I bought 2 LG B9 OLED TVs. With them I bought 2 HDMI 2.1 cables. They did great with my 20 series cards(4k 60hz, 1440p 120hz) but when I finally got 30 series cards they failed with screen going black in some games. 

With Far Cry 5 bench the failure not only happened at 4k 120hz but 1080p as well. 

To get cables that do work I followed the advice of the TV reviewing channel HDTVTest. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

5 minutes ago, Thrill Killer said:

My 7z wont open this with 7 console. I have to r.click to get it to semi works. And, it makes about 50+ pdf, which open in edge, with nothing but pass/fail data. No indication as to what brand, length, 2.0 or 2.1 cable. And when i open my 7z console it list 4 Fallout folders that are not on my pc. what's going on? How can i get a list of the cable brand names that pass/fail?

The attached excel file list matches the pdf's.

26 minutes ago, Hito_kun said:

The attached excel file list matches the pdf's.

Mine has no attached excel file. I can't get them to open. 7z won't open them. There are 2 files in the op. I can't open the second one. I deleted the first one as it's all pdf that open in edge. I don't want edge, so i just got rid of the file. i'd rather lose the file than use edge. how do i view the results without edge and my 7z doing jack shit.

4 minutes ago, Thrill Killer said:

Mine has no attached excel file. I can't get them to open. 7z won't open them. There are 2 files in the op. I can't open the second one. I deleted the first one as it's all pdf that open in edge. I don't want edge, so i just got rid of the file. i'd rather lose the file than use edge. how do i view the results without edge and my 7z doing jack shit.

I have no idea why your pdfs open on Edge. You need an app that can open xlsx files to see the second file (MS Office, Office.com LibreOffice, Drag the file to GDocs). The 7z worked just fine for me, so I can't comment on the issues you're having.

If you go back in the thread, you'll can also find attached screenshots of the table, may be more convenient in your case.

Just now, Hito_kun said:

I have no idea why your pdfs open on Edge. You need an app that can open xlsx files to see the second file (MS Office, Office.com LibreOffice, Drag the file to GDocs). The 7z worked just fine for me, so I can't comment on the issues you're having.

If you go back in the thread, you'll can also find attached screenshots of the table, may be more convenient in your case.

I just did that. Thanks.

I posted about this on the video to but on this topic, DisplayPort cables are a massive issue as well.  

I got "VESA certified" DisplayPort 1.2 cables from my local store which were absolutely terrible. They were 2M (6.6ft) and my screens just kept blinking randomly, especially in heavy motion. They were approx US$12ea (about $40 NZD for 2)  I eventually upgraded to some other "branded" 1.4 cables which while much better, my primary monitor still kept blinking during games. These cost me US$35ea (about $100 NZD for 2). 

I since got some "VESA certified" DP 1.4 cables from Amazon which were just some random off brand. These cost me approx $80 NZD for 2. 

They are 3M (10ft) ones which actually fit my desk better since I have a standing desk...means I can actually raise it now. But the big win is that i've had absolutey zero issues with these. They looks nice, are nicely braided, a quality connector housing and just over all extremely happy with them. Sometimes going for the brands isn't the best option. 

I switched to DisplayPort from HDMI when I moved to 1440p and 4K monitors, so have been on DisplayPort for about 7 years now.

I honestly find it to be much worse than HDMI for finding decent cables that work without problems.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Hello! Thank you @ColinLTT for putting in all of the work, collecting the data, and sharing it with us!
Excel nerd here. You can save yourself a bunch of hassle in this kind of project by formatting your table as a table in Excel. It will do a lot of work for you automatically, it just doesn't know it's a table until you say so.

When you're in a cell in an existing table you can hit Ctrl+A, Ctrl+T, Enter.
It will recognize the headers as headers, filtering is available automatically. You can name the table, and pick a style if you don't like the default one. Critically, everything keeps working when you add rows and columns. You don't have to drag your format down ahead of time, or copy formulas down after adding rows. You can move the table around on the sheet, or to a different sheet, delete or rearrange the columns, and nothing breaks. Formulas use column names instead of absolute locations. Helps a ton when you want to refer to one table from another, and start using more of the smart junk they keep adding to Excel.

Here's a version of your sheet formatted that way. Formulas are updated as if it was a table to start with. Just play with the toggles and options in the "Table Design" tab, and add some new rows. HDMI Cable Testing Results - 1S2A1B Table Formatting.xlsx

Doing this as soon as you start making a table makes a huge difference in ease of use. I have lots more to say but I'm trying to keep it short. Tables! Try it!

HDMI Cable Testing Results - 1S2A1B Table Formatting.xlsx

not enough RGB or Cowbell! So what I learned to day: things manufacturers say...super sus.

Unless it's our sponsor: SugerMa, Pa and Pimps Incorperated. Becase LTT store.com won't pay for itself. 

Shade much on Monoprice? lol not that i'm surprised. 

7 hours ago, ColinLTT said:

Just order from Amazon and return it if it doesn't work. Active cables are not compatible with the TotalPhase Cable Tester unfortunately. 

Hey Colin, 

Am I missing something here? Looking at the spreadsheet you guys only tested six 15 foot cables all from Monoprice which was having problems even getting their short cables to pass. Based on this information you guys are saying that using a passive cable over 10 feet "is asking for trouble". Is there some other piece of information you guys have beside this that was not presented in the video? If not you guys really need to test more 15 foot cables to validate your recommendation because 6 cables from one company is not nearly enough information to make such a claim.

Sooo which one is the best performance for HDMI 2.1? I want to know that because the spreadsheet doesn't speak to me about it, 

Conveniently, my dad just wanted to buy a new HDMI because our is old and does not support 4k 120hz. 

Please let me know, thanks!

10 minutes ago, tokarin1910 said:

Sooo which one is the best performance for HDMI 2.1? I want to know that because the spreadsheet doesn't speak to me about it, 

Conveniently, my dad just wanted to buy a new HDMI because our is old and does not support 4k 120hz. 

Please let me know, thanks!

Basically just pick any cable from the list that says HDMI 2.1 and has a green pass next to it. It's a digital signal so as long as it passes it will perform the same as any other cable that passes.

Would it be possible for you guys to test brands like Ugreen and Baseus? Cause these are the 2 "most relevant" recommendation when I shop online and I am planning to buy one in the near future. Thanks. Also, will there be a testing on DP in the future as well?

11 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

I'm wondering if DP 2.0 cables are as bad.

I really do believe they are even worse, I had more issues with DP cables than others, combined. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

11 hours ago, darknessblade said:

Anyone else remembering the 1000$ hdmi cable video after watching the Test video of all those HDMI cables?

Soo sad linus did not test this one

Ahahaha!  I just watched the video, and had the exactly same thought, but I made an entire thread on it.  I really, really, really, want them to test out that cable!

Thread is Here, if you care to bump it.

I am writing to you... from SPACE!  I live in the middle of nowhere Northern California, and have Starlink.

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900KF

Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate (My PC can kick your PC's ass, apparently... According to Lyle...)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3600 C18

GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Ti (Acquired from the Newegg Raffle program)

Storage: Samsung 970 PRO 1TB (Boot), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Samsung 860 PRO 1TB, WD Gold 10TB

Case: CM Trooper SE

1 minute ago, Senkon said:

Ahahaha!  I just watched the video, and had the exactly same thought, but I made an entire thread on it.  I really, really, really, want them to test out that cable!

Thread is Here, if you care to bump it.

If you see the post from Colin on the previous page LTT no longer has the cable.

11 hours ago, ColinLTT said:

We dont have it any more 😞

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If you see the post from Colin on the previous page LTT no longer has the cable.

Daaaaamn!  I'd say it would be worth re-buying the cable... For science! 

Thinking about it, you could probably find it used for cheap?  🤷‍♂️

I am writing to you... from SPACE!  I live in the middle of nowhere Northern California, and have Starlink.

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900KF

Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate (My PC can kick your PC's ass, apparently... According to Lyle...)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3600 C18

GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Ti (Acquired from the Newegg Raffle program)

Storage: Samsung 970 PRO 1TB (Boot), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Samsung 860 PRO 1TB, WD Gold 10TB

Case: CM Trooper SE

Monoprice is good because it's cheap and their warranty is pretty hassle free.   And since we're talking digital...if it doesn't work you notice pretty quickly and yeet it back to them.

It's pretty useless recommendation but I've had good luck with CableMatters brand on Amazon across the board with every cable I've bought from them.  HDMI, DP, SATA, etc.

Be interested in seeing DisplayPort tested too.  That's way more likely to need high bandwidth 5K 144Hz 4:4:4 10bit HDR and probably longer lengths than HDMI people need where that's stuck with 4K120 HDR at best.  Plus DP 2.0 is probably on the horizon with the 4000 series.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)