Gigabyte claims 12900k 8GHz OC record; CPU-Z, Der8auer disputes claim

Spotty

Summary

After a horrendous year for Gigabyte with exploding power supplies and not one but two ransomware attacks, things were looking up for the Taiwanese company when their partner overclocker HiCookie managed to set an overclocking record on the newly released Intel 12900k hitting 8GHz overclock using Gigabyte's Z690 motherboard. Gigabyte was quick to use the opportunity to promote their motherboards and claim the crown as overclocking king promoting the impressive result on their social media accounts and in a press release statement. That was until CPU-Z validator's developer burst their bubble.

Quotes

GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS Breaks the Overclocking Records of Dual 8 GHz on i9-12900K CPU/ DDR5 Memory

Nov. 3rd, 2021 –GIGABYTE Technology, one of the top global manufacturers of motherboards, graphics cards, and hardware solutions, announces today Z690 AORUS TACHYON motherboard with the latest 12th generation Intel® Core™ i9 12900K processor and LN2 liquid nitrogen heat dissipation set the world-leading overclocking records of dual 8GHz, which is 8000MHz on i9-12900K CPU and 8300MHz on DDR5 memories. GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS TACHYON motherboard designed by world-famous overclocker equips with plenty functions exclusively for extreme overclockers, which promise overclockers higher scores with easier operation, establishing GIGABYTE’s leading role in overclocking on the Z690 motherboards.

Gigabyte's press release https://www.gigabyte.com/jp/Press/News/1947

The impressive result was also covered by news outlets, with Tom's Hardware (among others) reporting on the 'impressive' overclock.

Overclocking maestro HiCookie (courtesy of Aorus Spain's Twitter) has overclocked Intel's flagship Core i9-12900K Alder Lake to an impressive 8 GHz with liquid nitrogen (LN2). And not only that, but he also pushed his DDR5 memory from 4,800 MHz to 8,300 MHz.

Since the overclocker was backed by Gigabyte, it wasn't a surprise that HiCookie used the manufacturer's hardware to achieve the feat. On the motherboard end, the overclocker employed the Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Tachyon, which is tailored to hardcore overclocking.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i912900k-just-hit-8ghz-along-with-ddr5-8300

However CPU-Z Validator developer, the tool used to validate overclocking results, was quick to call bullshit on Gigabyte's claims.

Doc TB
@d0cTB
Almost everyone reported that 8 GHz overclocking on Alder Lake, supported by screenshots from the CPU-Z Validator. Well, here is why it's very unlikely that this CPU really reached 8 GHz.
PS: I'm the developer of the CPU-Z Validator.

Twitter user Doc TB, the person who developed the CPU-Z Validator, has debunked Gigabyte's 8 GHz world record with Intel's Core i9-12900K processor. The developer believes that Intel's new flagship Alder Lake likely didn't hit 8 GHz at all.

According to the developer, the team started to see fake overclocks spanning from 8 GHz to 12 GHz on early Alder Lake samples. Apparently, a silicon errata exists with the ratio when set above 63. In some cases, the internal CPU PLL fails to stick, so it remains at the previously configured ratio while still reporting the new one.

Doc TB has since provided some statistics on Alder Lake overclocking. Apparently, 7 GHz on all cores is possible , however, the ceiling for single-core overclocks ranges from 7.5 GHz to 7.6 GHz. As a matter of fact, many processors struggle to get to 7.5 GHz, and overclockers were one-upping each other by a few MHz at best. We're talking about 100+ samples. It certainly raised a red flag when Gigabyte started promoting its 8 GHz overclock on social media and in a press release.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cpu-z-dev-throws-cold-water-on-gigabyte-8ghz-world-record

TLDR;

Simplistic explanation is there is a bug in alder lake CPUs where if an overclock fails it will revert to previous safe settings but still report the failed overclock values, which can allow you to validate at much higher clock speed than the CPU is actually running at.

My thoughts

Gigabyte just isn't having a good year.

The question is did Gigabyte know that its overclocking result was likely a bogus result or were they not aware of the issue? I'd wager they weren't aware of the issue and the moment the overclocker announced their impressive overclocking results Gigabyte's PR team ran with it.

Edit: The more I look in to it, the more likely it is Gigabyte knew that the 8GHz result was not valid.

Der8auer has also done a video discussing Alder Lake extreme overclocking and also called out Gigabyte for using invalid results.

Discussion starts around the 14 minute mark.

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cpu-z-dev-throws-cold-water-on-gigabyte-8ghz-world-record

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i912900k-just-hit-8ghz-along-with-ddr5-8300

https://twitter.com/d0cTB/status/1456253859228045314

https://twitter.com/AorusOfficial/status/1456025963855327235

https://www.gigabyte.com/jp/Press/News/1947

Edited by Spotty
Added der8auer video

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

More Than Gigabyte, whose rep is pretty much in taters. I'm more concerned about the OCer themself. To quote Tom's Hardware

If Gigabyte's overclock ends up having been a PR stunt, it'll not only hurt the company's credibility, but also tarnish HiCookie's (who is one of the more respected personalities in the extreme overclocking scene) reputation.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

8 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Der8auer also called them out on it.

Here's the video for anyone interested. Discussion about the bug with the OC results and Gigabyte's OC results starts at around 14 minutes.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Sounds similar to the Ryzen windows bug on waking from sleep early on and the massive reports of CPU clock speeds in CPUz. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Well as long as i dont buy new stuff or atleast the psus i think ill stick with gigabyte, better than this pos p5q that gets beaten by my g31m s2c in max fsb (540 p5q, 542 g31m), not to mention this g31 is prob not even at its limit yet, once i voltmod it then itll just smush the p5q

I wonder what horrendous things lay ahead of gigabyte thatll really trash their reputation, or maybe next year theyll have a good year and theyre reputation will improve

im gonna bet on the next thing for gigabyte is another pr trashing incident cause they have had a pretty bad time this year

Gigabyte has too many corrupted gigabytes. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Gigabyte shooting itself in the foot..

Why they does this move when their rep is already bad.. Don't understand that company 🙄

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

19 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Why would Gigabyte claim something so stupid and so easily debunkable?

They need to sell a lot of motherboards to pay their latest ransomware ransom.

This may also be in part an issue with the board too, I've seen boards report weird stuff before when really pushed to the limit and in Gigashiite's case I woudn't doubt it.
In any case it was being pushed hard to even take a shot at this, time will tell and reveal more and if there really is an issue with the board instead of it all being on the CPU itself.
Errata isn't anything new and it's no suprise here - What is (Not?) is that Gigashiite just ran with it, screaming from the hill tops it's board made it all possible without doing some checking of their own to at least pump the brakes on this before making a huge deal about it.

Yeah, the marketing/sales guys have alot of say and influence about anywhere you go and they really dropped the ball on this one concerning PR for the company.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Sounds like the same old issue on a new chipset and cpu. 

I'll repeat that this type of thing isn't new to the OC industry.

Like some competitive overclockers, some people aim to cheat, not claimed by accident.

I bet all those engineers at Gigabyte are stuck in a constant facepalm motion and that blunder was probably due to some PR people.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Sounds like the same old issue on a new chipset and cpu. 

I'll repeat that this type of thing isn't new to the OC industry.

Like some competitive overclockers, some people aim to cheat, not claimed by accident.

Yep - It's not like all that's never happened before. 

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 minute ago, Beerzerker said:

Yep - It's not like all that's never happened before. 

Pretty much just about every release of new hardware (cpu/chipset) and why I ALWAYS take the pre-release leaks for a grain of salt.

Would this be the right time to admit we've done this also, just without submitting it?

For a company to immediately boast about their product claiming "world record" without fact checking or verifying themselves says a lot about them.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

" The developer believes that Intel's new flagship Alder Lake likely didn't hit 8 GHz at all."

Likely

Non objective. Not fact. Not debunked.

That's not debunking.

Tired of the misinformation being presented as facts, no one has a real clue, but lets shit on a company and kick them whilst they are down because why not?

It's like the sibling when you are younger who gets the blame for things not even their fault and not in their control.

Even worse, experienced and long time users on this site seem to lack basic understanding of logic.

Vans UltraRange EXO SE

8 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Sounds similar to the Ryzen windows bug on waking from sleep early on and the massive reports of CPU clock speeds in CPUz. 

But there you knew it's a bug because there is no way any CPU can run at 6GHz on air cooling or water cooling. Anyone who has ever done any overclocking can and will know that. Here it was running in LH (Liquid helium) even and you kinda expect it to actually go very high, but the question is if it's just a boot or actual bench. You can often boot at stupid clocks, but as soon as you put any load on it it's gone and crashes.

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

For a company to immediately boast about their product claiming "world record" without fact checking or verifying themselves says a lot about them.

16 minutes ago, OneOfYas said:

" The developer believes that Intel's new flagship Alder Lake likely didn't hit 8 GHz at all."

Likely

Non objective. Not fact. Not debunked.

That's not debunking.

Tired of the misinformation being presented as facts, no one has a real clue, but lets shit on a company and kick them whilst they are down because why not?

It's like the sibling when you are younger who gets the blame for things not even their fault and not in their control.

Even worse, experienced and long time users on this site seem to lack basic understanding of logic.

Pot and kettle calling each other black or something...

Vans UltraRange EXO SE

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

But there you knew it's a bug because there is no way any CPU can run at 6GHz on air cooling or water cooling. Anyone who has ever done any overclocking can and will know that. Here it was running in LH (Liquid helium) even and you kinda expect it to actually go very high, but the question is if it's just a boot or actual bench. You can often boot at stupid clocks, but as soon as you put any load on it it's gone and crashes.

Right, but they manually tweak every last little number in the BIOS to get there scores, so they had to know without a doubt what numbers they set and had. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

6 hours ago, OneOfYas said:

Pot and kettle calling each other black or something...

That fact no one else has been able to get within more than around 400mhz of the claimed overclock however makes it exceedingly unlikely in the extreme. My guess is HiCookie himself just hadn't heard of the bug when he posted the results and Gigabyte then ran with it without waiting for the kind of feedback and intercommunication that goes on with somthing like this amongst the OC community.

17 hours ago, Arika S said:

That's quite easy:

- There is no such thing as bad publicity.

- Gigabyte advertises their "record speed" (see picture below, taken 21-11-08)

- It can be easily blamed on CPU-Z and is not at all and never has been the fault of Gigabyte.

- What are the consequences? There will be most likely none at all.

grafik.thumb.png.6daf4b8075b4f227be3a0b11b8002719.png

17 hours ago, Arika S said:

Never underestimate the ability to not know anything about the situation, never assume a company PR/Marketing team is aware of or checked anything when you see something from them.

Ignorance is almost always the answer.