Gigabyte claims 12900k 8GHz OC record; CPU-Z, Der8auer disputes claim

Spotty

The marketing around this is great of Gigabyte and if things escalate they can just push blame to CPU-Z.  In the meantime they'll sell motherboards with outrageous 8ghz claims.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

"meh"

LN2 overclocking has been a worthless thing forever.  Zero correlation to actual real world overclocking.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

5 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

At this point the have everything to gain and nothing to lose 😄

Sadly.. Really wished they werent this bad.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

5 hours ago, BetteBalterZen said:

True dat. I'm never buying anything from Gigabyte again. 

If their GPU's werent so thicc i wouldnt.. But im not against going for their XTREME or MASTER 3090 cards xD

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

Actually Hardware Overclocking (Buildzoid) also did a video on Gigabyte's overclocking claims, also claiming it to be fake.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

"meh"

LN2 overclocking has been a worthless thing forever.  Zero correlation to actual real world overclocking.

Then you don't really know what overclocking is.
The Ln2 stuff - That kind of overclocking happens in the real world too, just maybe not in your part of it.

For what's done with typical setups for everyday use no, you won't see it in use BUT it's as much a part of OC'ing as any other method since it's doing the same, exact thing - Just beyond the limits of a typical setup.

I watched BZ's vid and he does go into several reasons why it was debunked and explains things in at least some detail.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

5 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

The Ln2 stuff - That kind of overclocking happens in the real world too, just maybe not in your part of it.

For what's done with typical setups for everyday use no, you won't see it in use BUT it's as much a part of OC'ing as any other method since it's doing the same, exact thing - Just beyond the limits of a typical setup.

I watched BZ's vid and he does go into several reasons why it was debunked and explains things in at least some detail.

Tell me about how the FX-8350 is the greatest CPU in the world because for the longest time it had the world OC record for highest clock speed.  Silicon behavior changes drastically at deep sub zero that isn't replicated by anything you can realistically run 24/7.  Not to mention all these records aren't stable at all and have every useful processor feature turned off to just get a single run to pass.

Although shoutout Kingpin for actually trying to make LN2 a 24/7 thing with automatic feed and air purging.   Everyone else still doing thermos pours can fuck off with their lame shit.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

8 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Tell me about how the FX-8350 is the greatest CPU in the world because for the longest time it had the world OC record for highest clock speed.  Silicon behavior changes drastically at deep sub zero that isn't replicated by anything you can realistically run 24/7.  Not to mention all these records aren't stable at all and have every useful processor feature turned off to just get a single run to pass.

Although shoutout Kingpin for actually trying to make LN2 a 24/7 thing with automatic feed and air purging.   Everyone else still doing thermos pours can fuck off with their lame shit.

If they can do it, whatever it is it's all good and I'll still sleep just fine tonight over it, even if you can't.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

7 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

If they can do it, whatever it is it's all good and I'll still sleep just fine tonight over it, even if you can't.

@AnonymousGuy might be coming on a little strong with his statements, but I agree with his general sentiment.  LN2 OC'ing might be interesting for bragging rights, but it has absolutely nothing to do with everyday usage that 99.999% of users will care about.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

@AnonymousGuy might be coming on a little strong with his statements, but I agree with his general sentiment.  LN2 OC'ing might be interesting for bragging rights, but it has absolutely nothing to do with everyday usage that 99.999% of users will care about.

I'm not disagreeing with that at all, I don't see any legitimate need to take a big stinky dump all over what someone else is doing whether you're into it or not yourself.
If they don't like it that's good enough and simply saying so, minus the derrogatory parts are more than sufficient. 

On 11/11/2021 at 6:42 PM, Beerzerker said:

I'm not disagreeing with that at all,

Ah, what did you mean then? I don't see this useful outside of super niche cases, which probably don't even have anything to do with overclocking (quantum computing research for example)

Personally I have nothing against ln2 overclocking,  I just realize it's not really useful in everyday usage.

Nitrogen is one of my fav elements anyway,  but im also aware it doesn't come without downsides. 

Edited by Mark Kaine

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/11/2021 at 3:05 AM, Beerzerker said:

No one runs games or does rendering on CPU cooled by LN. So, no, it doesn't correlate to anything real world.

Only thing that does is phase change cooling where you're essentially running a more powerful freezer compressor on it and where you can still get insane stable clocks for actual 24/7 use. You'll still be facing never ending issues with condensation...