How long has it been since you used/had physical cash?

MultiGamerClub

Cash is something I handle on a weekly basis, because work. Most people pay by card/online payment, but there are still plenty of people who pay with cash. Of course during a time in 2020, we didn't accept cash, but that is long since over.

Personally I really only use a card to pay, not really cash. Unless we're talking about flea markets though, where cash is still the main payment form. Although flea markets haven't been a thing for the last year and a half or so.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Pretty much every in-person payment is in cash for me. But that's mostly food as i order most of my stuff online using paypal as my main payment method.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I think that was Saturday morning at the bakery... I use cash regularly, usually at least once or twice per week.

I use cash when I need something right in the moment and then go to overpriced local shop, and cards are not welcomed because they like to evade;

also when I go to buy food, for the sane reason

except for food then most of my purchases are done online, though now most of the time even for food I'm buying online, even though it does cost more, because they do ship stuff in your home, and meanwhile I can do something else

for what I care, then almost all local shop could fail, but you know you can get away with it if your population is made up by boomers; boomer's economy, stealing from kids, then complaining how kids nowdays do nothing

I tend to keep anywhere from $5 to $40 in cash on hand, usually just in my wallet.

Hardly ever use it though - it's just there in case I need to go somewhere that accepts cash only on short notice.

The vast vast vast majority of time (I'm talking something like 99.999%), I pay with a Card of some kind or another. In Canada - or rather, at least in Ontario, you can pretty much go anywhere and pay with Interac (Debit Card) or Credit Card. Even the vast majority of local shops will accept one or both. Even some of the Mennonite shops take card now.

Very very rare a situation where you'd need physical cash.

And I prefer it that way. It's a goddamn hassle to constantly be getting more cash from an ATM or the bank. Especially since now these days you can deposit cheques remotely using your banking app, plus with how common Direct Deposit is, there's essentially no reason to ever go to the bank.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago. I use cash for <$10 purchase at convenience shop. I usually carry $10-$20 in my pocket. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Today.

I pay pretty much everything using cash because I feel that I can keep track on my weekly and monthly spending a lot better that way.

Whats pretty funny, when you buy something more valuable (like a car or a TV) and they ask you how you wanna pay and you say cash they always look at you like you just came out of a spaceship.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

I use cash frequently and generally have some on me. As others said buying things from other individuals is still usually done with cash but using electronic transfers is on the rise for that. I always ask before I go meet someone if they prefer cash or etransfer.

i keep 40$ in my glove box just in case i forgot my card, or it isn't working, and i need gas.

Interesting to see different perspectives on this, ever since i had to return a phone cover ive looked at my 500 NOK bill in disgust lol.

No idea what i want to spend it on, either a new cover or diesel prices OOF.

It's gonna lay in my pocket until i remember it one day.. or forget i even have it, the latter is more likely unless someone pings me about this haha.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

The only time I pay cash, is when I pay my rent in cash(there are reasons for this) and maybe the once a year delivery I order out and the dude forgets to bring his card processor to the door (I always keep at least $40 in cash at home for things like that).

That's it. No other reason.

Other than for these two scenarios, I have not used cash in a store in at least 5 years now.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I've seen plenty of people use cash at my job... tbh I prefer when people do because the Domino's order entry system takes forever to process CC (terminal only) payments.

Personally, I keep cash on hand but only really have it for emergencies. It's pretty much been that way for me since I got a bank account and debit card.

Main PC: Ryzen 1600 @4GHz, 16GB 2933 MHz DDR4, 1060 6GB blower card.

Laptop: ThinkPad T580 (i5, iGPU, FHD, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD+1TB HDD). Used with both the regular and extended-run batteries (RIP power bridge).

The only time I ever pay digitally is for online purchases. I always prefer a physical store if possible, even if it costs more.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

I use cash all the time whether it be local or online purchase.

1 day ago, as here in the EU we need to put a coin in the shopping carts.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

13 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

1 day ago, as here in the EU we need to put a coin in the shopping carts.

You can actually buy fake coins specifically for this purpose (as you get the coin back when you return the cart) - they're usually just coin shaped and often on a keychain.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

You can actually buy fake coins specifically for this purpose (as you get the coin back when you return the cart) - they're usually just coin shaped and often on a keychain.

I know which ones you're talking about

Some stores give those coins for free.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

14 hours ago, WickedThunder86 said:

I use cash all the time whether it be local or online purchase.

(emphasis mine)

Photo Deposit

(https://xkcd.com/2335/)

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB /

TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

1 hour ago, AbydosOne said:

(emphasis mine)

Photo Deposit

(https://xkcd.com/2335/)

Always room for a good Xkcd.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

Yesterday.

I still get cash.

I payed for my camera on cash.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Last time I used cash was when I was in Japan, so spring 2019. Before that? No idea. Probably several years.

Regular stores? Card payments, always. A lot of stores don't even accept cash so even IF (big if) I wanted to, I couldn't.

Small things like markets out in the middle of nowhere? We in Sweden have a system for phone payments called "Swish" that everyone uses. You just put in the phone number of whoever you want to send money to, put in the amount and authorize it through our digital ID (BankID). Swish is also used for things payments between friends ("can you buy me a drink? I'll swish you later") or for things like second hand trading (when I bought my Galaxy Watch on Facebook Marketplace, I paid with Swish in-person, and thus could also verify the phone number and name of the person who sold it, and had the transaction logged).

OP you're from Norway and apparently got a similar system called Vipps.

There are apparently a lot of these European mobile payment systems (Swish, Vipps, MobilePay, BLIK, PLICK, etc) are compatible with one another thanks to the EMPSA.

I see zero benefits with cash so I avoid it like the plague. Bulky to carry, a security risk if I were to ever get robbed, annoying to count when I'm going to pay for something, no tracking of what I spend money on (unlike my card which even has an app that shows what I bought, where, for how much, and categorizes it like "restaurant", "grocery store", "transportation", "entertainment" etc). 

The last time I used cash is yesterday when I bought food

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Yesterday. And after yesterday's experience I'll probably keep it that way. Out of the few times I used a mobile app to pay for groceries, it has failed me three times. When it works, it is super convenient, quicker than paying with an actual card or cash, and during covid times also more hygienic. The latter was exactly the reason why I applied for all of this.

I didn't trust this system yet and had cash with me when this happened the first time. The second time this happened was, when the app got a visual overhaul, no notificationwhatsoever, and I had to re-register my card/account again. Impossible under stress, right at the checkout. Luckily a friend who was right behind me paid for it in the meantime.

Yesterday I stood at the checkout, the line filled with groceries, with several people behind me, and the mobile pay app of my bank didn't work.I didn't have any issues the days before so I trusted the app to work "as usual".  Well, I didn't have any cash with me, nor a car, so you can imagine how shitty this situation was. 

And while a debit- or credit card would definitely be handy, I'm not trusting myself with not getting into unwanted financial dilemmas.