What kind of names did you rename your computers/devices/etc? Why that name?

DankDoodles

Random curiosity time! What kind of names have you come up with when you renamed your computer(s) and or devices(s)?

Curious on what kind of names people have created and see if they have a meaning to that name or a reason why they picked it.

It can be anything, celestial, some kind of formatting to organize devices, or whatever!

Spoiler

Reason for this is to steal some ideas be inspired by the names people pick so I can use that theft inspiration to name my three computers (Main PC, Old PC, & my laptop) 😛

Update: I want to thank you all who replied to this forum post! The amount of answers and special replies I am seeing are amazing. Thank you all for the influence! Those who are reading this, don't feel like you shouldn't keep posting names! Who knows, maybe someone in the future will look back at this post and get influenced from your creative/boring/etc names! Those who are looking name ideas for their devices, hope you find something interesting to your liking!

• My main PC is called Herculean (It took a lot of effort and strength to build it, and now it's super strong/powerful!)
  • My laptop is called Briskly (My laptop is quick yet easily able to carry along)
  • My server/media/small PC is called Mini-PC (I lost creative ideas for this one so since it is a small pc I called it Mini-PC :p)
Edited by DankDoodles
Included updated information including my device names

I typically use the greek alphabet.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Currently Isthmus. 
it's made to be slim and portable. to be taken from one place to another. 
it's also designed to take me into VR. 

Previously;
FoeHammer. 
it was meant to go to LAN parties. 

Atomsk. 

it was back in my major pirate days and Atomsk was the pirate king from FLCL

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

All birds, (family is poultry farmers)

Server: Chicken

PC: Rooster

Mom PC: MotherHen

Kids PC: LittleChicks

Colour Printer: Parrot

Black and White Printer: Penquin

NAS: Nestegg (It backs up the server)

Router: BirdSanctuary

AP's, streaming boxes all have simular names.

I name my computers based on something about them.

My Pentium III machine that runs Windows 2000 I named Y2K, since it runs Windows 2000 and most (if not all) of its parts were produced before 2000.

My upcoming Pentium 4 build I named P4HT, since it's simple, easy to remember, and symbolizes the heart of the build - a P4HT CPU.

A dreamish build with an X399M Taichi and a Threadripper 1920X inside an Optiplex 3020 MT case will be named Agent 3020, because it's an externally unmodified Optiplex 3020 MT case with powerful insides.

My Minecraft server is named Phenom because it has a Phenom II X4 955 in it. Very creative, I know.

Main desktop is called Desktop-TJ84TBK because that's what Windows named it when my dad installed Windows 7 Home Premium on it back in 2010, and I like the name. There's not really a better name in my mind.

elephants

I think it's weird to name replaceable inanimate objects  

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

6 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

This dude has never owned a pet rock before

But in all seriousness, yeah it can be weird but it's something fun to do if you have nothing else to do. Have too many devices connected to the internet that are too similar? Make up names for them! Tired of seeing DESKTOP-(Insert random things here)? Rename it! Don't know which device you are trying to share a file to? Renaming the devices beforehand would allowed you to easily tell which is which. There can be a lot of reasons of naming inanimate objects, and the fun part of it is that it's your preference/choosing! 

Edited by DankDoodles

All the systems/printers/NAS in my house are named after places from SLA Industries.

Mort, Salvation Tower, Cannibal Sector One, Meny, Orange Krush, etc.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Usually something like “This thing” “That thing” “Thing 1”, you get the idea.

but I’ve started to name things after Doom Levels

my phone is “Exaultia”, my Linux laptop is “TerrasNabad” (I can’t remember how to spell them)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

my Linux laptop is “TerrasNabad” (I can’t remember how to spell them)

Isn't it Taras Nabad?

"Tetra-Phone"
and
"DESKTOP-U9K5692"

It used to be "Tetra-PC", but I formatted and never changed it. Now I don't care.

I'm very original.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I use names of some of my favorite authors. Primary rig is Salinger. WiFi is Kerouac, etc.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

main desktop i use the name Yggdrasil ,mostly because i was kinda fascinated by the depiction in the Ah My Goddess anime XD 

My main rig has been named "Supreme Monster" for quite some time in various incarnations from an i7 950 based rig thru to a 7700K machine to it's current build powered by a Ryzen 9 5950X. 

I used to name my machines after Dance Parties back when I was a huge cyber raver in the early 00's. My machines were the likes of Gatecrasher, GodsKitchen, Slinky, MinistryOfSound, etc....

These days they're more purpose oriented: Jarsky-PC, Jarsky-Server, Jarsky-S20Ultra, JarskyNAS, Ubuntu-TestServer, Win7-Dev, WinXP-Dev, etc....

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

I name all my devices 'pen15' (Obviously had IS not 15, but forum rules mean no explicit). I love the new iOS feature that mentions when my device is left behind, unlocked by Apple Watch, or connected. 

My gaming rig is still DESKTOP-<whatever Windows decided here> (what even determines this, is it literally just a random string?)

All my other devices are fruits. At my old university department workstations were named after astronomers. My current one names them after national rivers.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 7/5/2021 at 9:38 PM, Action_Johnson said:

Yeah but it's way easier to write and remember //EUGEO/ than //UNRAIDSERVERNUMBERTWO/

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

Desky: my main desktop

Beddie: used to be bedside rig, i noticed it's not healthy so i no longer have it at my bedside, it's been moved and is mining, though contemplating now because i want to consume animu again and i do it from my bed

Mining rigs: Miney, Money 01, Money 02, Muney

and legendary Benchie

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

11 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Beddie: used to be bedside rig, i noticed it's not healthy so i no longer have it at my bedside, it's been moved and is mining, though contemplating now because i want to consume animu again and i do it from my bed

Like, hooked up a bedroom TV as a sorta HTPC... Or like... Right next to the bed so you just sit up and it's a desktop?

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

1 minute ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Like, hooked up a bedroom TV as a sorta HTPC... Or like... Right next to the bed so you just sit up and it's a desktop?

Hooked up to 2 monitors and a projector that projects anime to my ceiling so I can watch it while laying down kind of setup

Deaky's setup is already in my room, just at my desk top

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately