Next version of Windows event... Windows 11 -> Ended

GoodBytes
3 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

So would one also need a stupid MS account to active W11 Pro or is that only for Home ?

For the 11 Pro leaked version just needs to be very careful not to agree to make an online version of an account.

So it does "support" local account.

I edit my posts more often than not

10 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

So would one also need a stupid MS account to active W11 Pro or is that only for Home ? Microsoft really rarely keeps their promises don't they... (talking about them saying that W10 was the last Windows).

You do not need a Microsoft account to activate Windows 11 on either Home or Pro.

You'll need a Microsoft account for creating an account under Windows 11 if you have Home. Pro is optional.

This is the same as Windows 10 as of end of 2019.

If one has a Microsoft account, the password cannot be changed via an external tool like it can with local accounts.

If the system is using BitLocker drive encryption feature, then using a Local account defeats the entire purpose of the feature. Same for securing passwords stored in, say, Edge. 

I took Win11 iso and ran it on a VM. Win11 will still activate with your old Win7 or higher key. Got my Win11 activated like that.

For Home, during the initial setup, you will have to create a Windows Live account, but after getting to the Desktop, you can then create a local account and delete your live one.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

7 hours ago, bilibili_simon said:

First of all, let me introduce myself. I am from China and I am 14 years old this year. I started watching LTT when I was in elementary school and assembled my first computer in my life. I personally think win11 is very pretty and of course I will update windows 11 as soon as possible,In China, many people think that Windows 11 is Windows 10 but changed the theme,What do you guys think?When it is time to update, will you choose to update?

Honestly I agree, I think some of the earlier windows 10 updates introduced more features than windows 11. Saying that, I probably still will upgrade if it's free

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

3 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I blame Apple for the centralized taskbar. I always despised that on Mac. They better have a way to switch it back. Never liked how every time you open apps it just keeps moving everything around.

oh yeah that, but how would it be if it was "fixed" and didn't move?

An interesting requirement not talked about:

Windows 11 requires OEMs to use a touchpad that works and comply with Microsoft Precision Touch drivers.

Microsoft wants to ensure that future laptops, all provide a least an OK touchpad experience and all gestures works as expected.

That means that HP can no longer sell premium laptop with dollar shop for a pack of 10 touchpads, and it means that OEMs can't save a penny on budget systems.

Source: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/minimum-hardware-requirements-overview

(Click on Windows 11. It's a PDF).

Please note: This is NOT a requirement to install or use Windows 11, this is for OEMs to be able to SALE a laptop WITH Windows 11.

No info on laptops sold with Windows 10, marketed as being Windows 11 supported (probably they don't require that)

So, I think this is good news! Some good news for consumers, at the very least.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows 11 requires OEMs to use a touchpad that works and comply with Microsoft Precision Touch drivers.

Microsoft wants to ensure that future laptops, all provide a least an OK touchpad experience and all gestures works as expected.

That means that HP can no longer sell premium laptop with dollar shop for a pack of 10 touchpads, and it means that OEMs can't save a penny on budget systems.

Source: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/minimum-hardware-requirements-overview

Please note: This is NOT a requirement to install or use Windows 11, this is for OEMs to be able to SALE a laptop WITH Windows 11.

No info on laptops sold with Windows 10, marketed as being Windows 11 supported (probably they don't require that)

There’s always good and bad.  It becomes a question of what and how big is the good, and what and how big is the bad? 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 6/26/2021 at 8:03 AM, GoodBytes said:

Windows Hello uses TPM chip if you have it. Remember your biometrics is stored locally, not on the cloud (which is good, but requires good security on your side to protect that info further than the 'typical' way). It can also be used (not sure if its already being used by Edge or something) to encrypt saved passwords.

Anyways, info is still coming in. Earlier in the day, this was published:

https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2021/06/25/windows-11-enables-security-by-design-from-the-chip-to-the-cloud/

But does it mean full disk encryption is now coming to the W11 Home? It wouldn't matter if biometric data for Windows Hello is stored locally on a TPM chip if an attacker can simply power off someone's PC, remove the HDD or SSD, and connect it to another computer and extract files that could be sensitive. Or boot the victim's PC from a USB drive containing another OS like a Linux distro and read the files from the main storage.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Will Windows 11 now be able to natively open HEVC videos and HEIF/HEIC images from every iPhone and Android phone without paying a $1 plugin from the Microsoft Store which can be a hit or miss? Apple had it since macOS High Sierra and iOS 11, Android had native support since Android 5.0 Lollipop. Why can't Windows have it?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

oh yeah that, but how would it be if it was "fixed" and didn't move?

That doesn't make sense. Every time you open a program it makes a new tile on the right and shuffles everything over to the left to remain centered. If it didn't do that it would start in the middle and run off the side of the taskbar.

#Muricaparrotgang

16 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

That doesn't make sense. Every time you open a program it makes a new tile on the right and shuffles everything over to the left to remain centered. If it didn't do that it would start in the middle and run off the side of the taskbar.

yes, but you could for example have it closer to the left/middle while other programs will be grouped maybe like on phones for grouping apps and you can disable it for certain ones or group common apps together. Not sure how good that would be, and like MMO's with many active abilites, multiple "toolbars" that could maybe be scrolled for with a locked start and can bring up a little window of all apps on the toolbar. But now I'm just ranting.

1 hour ago, CallumOKane said:

Annoyed that multi display task bars are bugged right now haha

Thinking randomly like a designer, The thing looks like it’s based on text justification though it may be done in a completely different way. Text center justification (instead of left or right justification) might be boilerplate code and it would have problems with multiple monitors. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 6/26/2021 at 5:51 PM, GoodBytes said:

Hopefully, that means we'll no longer get crap ass Synaptics touchpads that are the worst things to ever grace a computer that come with drivers that make me want to kick a puppy.

13 minutes ago, linkboy said:

Hopefully, that means we'll no longer get crap ass Synaptics touchpads that are the worst things to ever grace a computer that come with drivers that make me want to kick a puppy.

Oh no. Microsoft doesn't make touch pads. And you'll still have your Synaptics or Alps touchpad. But OEMs won't be able to choose the models that comes in a pack of 100 for dollar with 3 new cars. They'll be forced to get the better ones.

On a serious note, OEMs will always try to get the cheapest things and maximize profits. The consumer doesn't know and doesn't check for that... and we'll they can't. No info is given beside: 1TB drive, 8GB of RAM, and the model of the CPU. They have no idea on the CPU power mode set, no idea on the RAM timings, no idea if dual channel or not, and barely know if the drive is an SSD or HDD. They'll buy it, and not know the lack of performance they are missing out. As long as it faster than their old PC, they'll see it as "it is what it is". Very sad

Just saw a video from ... Gamer meld where it appears. 

ZEN 1 will not be supported by Windows 11.  Even the Surface Studio II will not be supported.  This is brand suicide. 

They say they are going to identify devices running on 7th gen intel and Zen 1 that "meet our principles".   What the, an OS should just run on what it can run on.  I'll bet their crummy SQ1 and Qualcomm ARM based PC's etc will be supported. 

Expecting someone with a PC that is less than three years old to upgrade in this day and age is just idiotic. 

55 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Just saw a video from ... Gamer meld where it appears. 

ZEN 1 will not be supported by Windows 11.  Even the Surface Studio II will not be supported.  This is brand suicide. 

They say they are going to identify devices running on 7th gen intel and Zen 1 that "meet our principles".   What the, an OS should just run on what it can run on.  I'll bet their crummy SQ1 and Qualcomm ARM based PC's etc will be supported. 

Expecting someone with a PC that is less than three years old to upgrade in this day and age is just idiotic. 

51 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Thanks.  I just wasn't sure what we are doing here.  

Are we keeping all the Win11 talk in one super thread?  Are we able to make threads about interesting aspects of it? 

Can anyone confirm that AutoHDR is included in the new Insider Preview build of Windows 11? 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1.TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

• 2 weeks later...

I feel really really good that windows 11 is coming out

hopefully my laptop supports it

Currently getting virtual box maybe I will try Windows 11!

• 1 month later...

Microsoft had a good design that made sense in Windows 7. Windows 10 (from a power user/techie point of view is an absolute mess. Mixture of Win7/Win8 GUI. Oftentimes I don't even bother clicking through 15 freaking links/menus to get where I want. Just keep direct shortcuts to things like Programs and Features, Network Adapter Settings, Windows Update, etc. Or if I remember the .msc or .exe, just open a cmd and type it out. The whole "settings" thing is a cluster fscked  mess.

Anyway M$ has been moving more and more towards Windows for Toddlers look and feel since Win 8.

"move on, get modern" they say. It's basically the same sh*t under the hood, just has some new features and a lot of eye candy and perhaps ridiculous restrictions.

I hate Flat UI, especially when trying to move a window. No borders, so easy to miss a window grab. Difficult to rezise a window. Simple annoying things like that.

I want to punch the inventor of Flat UI in the face lol (not really, but I do feel very strongly against Flat UI). Bring back skewomorphs and UI focused on usability and productivity.

If you've used Windows since v 3.1, you can understand my gripe. If you were born with an iPad in your hand, I'm just a cranky old man. lol

I will use desktop until either I die or desktop dies, but I want desktop to behave like a desktop, not a phone/tablet.

23+ yrs IT experience

MAIN SYSTEM

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1

Case

Antec Three Hundred Two Gaming

CPU

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz 12-Core 24-Thread

Motherboard

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

RAM

G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series 32GB

(2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600)

Graphics Card

Asus Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 Overclocked (Factory) 6GB GDDR6

Dual-Fan EVO Edition

Storage

2 × Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme (M.2 2280) SSD 1TB

2 × Samsung 860 QVO SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD 1TB (RAID1 Array 1)

2 × Hitachi UltraStar HDS721010CLA330 7200RPM SATA III 3.0Gb/s 1TB (RAID1 Array 2)

PSU

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold

Optical Drive

LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Rewriter

Displays

HP w2408 widescreen 16:10 1920x1200 @60Hz

HP w2207 widescreen 16:10 1680x1050 @60Hz

Keyboard/Mouse

Logitech MK200 Wired Keyboard/Mouse Combo Kit