Are fast-paced games gone ?

Defective_Soul

I think there is more and more trend to making games more slow so they will be more accsesable to all, one of exampels of not-so-fast game is "Me friend pedo" wich taggeed as nearly by all as fast paced but baely can be fast
The only games wich i can call fast-paced actyaly are 2 indie games ffrom itch (Anger foot & white) with few "big" games like metal gear rising, katana zero & fury
So... are fast-paced games dying/dead in you opinion and if no can you give some recomendations about projects/games with you count as fast-paced ? 

I would consider most competitive games 'fast paced'. 

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

2 minutes ago, Defective_Soul said:

can you give some recomendations about projects/games with you count as fast-paced ?

does rhythm game count?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

does rhythm game count?

OSU fast-paced-nes depends on map

Just now, Murasaki said:

I'm sure anything can be fast paced if you give it to a speedrunner

that's not about walking fast walking sim, it's about game beeng fast in first place, games wich make make you do 200 actions in one second and all those actions unique etc

4 minutes ago, Defective_Soul said:

that's why it's perfect, you can play whatever difficulty you want, from easy to stupid

my last fast paced non-rhythm game is probably dragon nest, and it's a dead MMO by now probably

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

my last fast paced non-rhythm game is probably dragon nest, and it's a dead MMO by now probably

IMHO blade&sould will look more fun to play, especialy with it's douges & dashes

1 minute ago, Defective_Soul said:

IMHO blade&sould will look more fun to play, especialy with it's douges & dashes

i never played it even though most DN player went to BnS

because it's mainly focused on PvP and it's P2W x-x

Hades
Mr Shifty

Titanfall 2 PVP 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

uhhhh... have you heard of this small indie game called

Spoiler

DOOM Eternal

there are plenty of fast paced games around, you just need to find them.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Many fast-paced taged games not so fast-paced... so that's an iusse

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:
Spoiler

DOOM Eternal

locations look small for a truly fast-paced potential + dusk can easly be a way faste, especialy with those huge maps and some pickups like fast fire + there is side jumping

What classifies as fast paced? And what is your point of comparison? What genre?

One of my biggest complaints, having been a halo player for most of my life, is that the modern halo games are too fast paced. 343 transitioned the weapons into all viable kill options, making them all feel the same. Added universal sprint, fancy gliding abilities, and aiming down sights. There's a lot of appeal in slower paced shooters, more methodical and strategic. Hopefully Halo infinite brings back the slow pace.

Call of duty, the immortal franchise, is just as fast paced as it ever was. Mainstream competitive games like rocket league and counter strike are pretty fast paced, lots of action on screen. Look at games like Doom and Rainbow 6 Siege. I struggle to think of many multiplayer games in the mainstream that are slow paced these days. Dark souls comes to mind but not much else.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

37 minutes ago, Defective_Soul said:

Many fast-paced taged games not so fast-paced... so that's an iusse

locations look small for a truly fast-paced potential + dusk can easly be a way faste, especialy with those huge maps and some pickups like fast fire + there is side jumping

...have you played DOOM Eternal? If you're good at it and play at a high difficulty it's extremely fast, even more so than most old school FPS games. Can't comment on Dusk because I haven't played it yet but you can jump and dash (twice) in any direction in DE.

Also Dusk is a pretty recent game so... if you consider it fast you're kind of disproving your point, aren't you?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Fast-paced?
First game that comes to mind is Crypt of the Necrodancer.

It's a silly game where you move around to the beat of music. Look it up, it's quite fun (especially if you get it for the Switch and get the Amplified DLC).

elephants

1 hour ago, Defective_Soul said:

When you first start a lot of the maps feel fast and it really depends on the beatmap.

another fast paced IMO is planet side 2 when you get into a firefight.

58 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Titanfall 2 PVP 

iirc planetside 2 is kinda like titian fall

another game is a couple of milatery simulations

insurgency (actually any insurgency)

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

2 hours ago, sub68 said:

iirc planetside 2 is kinda like titian fall

It's not, at all. 

Milsim games also tend to be the opposite of fast-paced. Too much "fog of war" and emphasis on communication and coordination for everyone to just run around. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

6 minutes ago, Middcore said:

It's not, at all. 

Milsim games also tend to be the opposite of fast-paced. Too much "fog of war" and emphasis on communication and coordination for everyone to just run around. 

I am mostly talking about insurgancy that is fast paced and very intreasting

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

11 hours ago, Defective_Soul said:

So... are fast-paced games dying/dead in you opinion and if no can you give some recomendations about projects/games with you count as fast-paced ?

I think they're just rather niche games.

I second DOOM Eternal. Put it on Ultra Violence or harder and prepare for fast paced slaying. Hades perhaps as well. Not always super fast, but can get intense.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

8 hours ago, sub68 said:

I am mostly talking about insurgancy that is fast paced and very intreasting

Can confirm, especially the Source version of Insurgency with all the community servers it has, a good number of those can get absolutely mental. Sandstorm also has its moments, but it only really gets properly chaotic with some of the limited-time game modes. Though I'm sure there are community servers that crank it up, I've just never dipped my toes into that aspect of it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

By fast paced i understand games like Quake 2, Sin or the original Unreal Tournament and such multiplayer games of the past where you can jump into a gunfight and you have to move in order to stay alive. And yes, they are becoming extinct for two reasons. First - every developer aims to make the game as realistic as possible especially with the physics, which just makes it harder and harder to keep the pace AND the level of detail. And second - the public is waaaay different than it used to be some 10-15-20 years ago. Back in the day we didn't care how the game was running as long as it was able to run on the machine. If it was hard we just invested more and more time in order to get better. Today people cry over everything basically. DLC and microtransactions just replaced the skill requirement and this is how we end with games for dummies and spoilt brats. One of the best games to come out in the last 15 years (Cyberpunk 2077) was basically dragged down to hell, simply because people now are so much more spoiled and pretentious. I remember playing StarCraft: Brood War on a Pentium I with about 1 or 2 FPS, 5FPS in the menusa and about 7 minutes of loading time and i was being bestoked it was running at all. And thanks to the reaction it had from the public no developer would take the risk again of trying something new and exciting, when old and boring sells so much better.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

22 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

I remember playing StarCraft: Brood War on a Pentium I with about 1 or 2 FPS, 5FPS in the menusa and about 7 minutes of loading time and i was being bestoked it was running at all. And thanks to the reaction it had from the public no developer would take the risk again of trying something new and exciting, when old and boring sells so much better.

Yep I will keep saying we need more Crysis-level games that are super hard to run at maxed out settings. Coarsely said I'd say take High to be the limit of current hardware, Medium, Low and Potato for lower and previous gen cards and leave Ultra to be the eyecandy for when you upgrade. A 3080 level card feels empty and hard to justify if (overgeneralised of course) compromised are made to run at 4k 120 FPS on a 3060 anyway.

22 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

First - every developer aims to make the game as realistic as possible especially with the physics, which just makes it harder and harder to keep the pace AND the level of detail.

I often feel level of detail and physics have suffered a bit in general. Don't get me wrong, games look gorgeous nowadays, but sometimes if feels like stuff was much more interactable in the past. In Crysis you could mow down palm trees, destroy the beach huts etc. Now in Resident Evil Village you have all these weird invisible walls in front of rocks and edges that keep you unnaturally far away from the edge.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

• 3 months later...
On 6/1/2021 at 3:29 PM, Sauron said:

Well... i finded ultrakill for myself
Is there anything else that Funkie ain't reviewed in https://youtu.be/oRTh2aMgPY4 ?

No, I don't think so at all, but it will depend on the genres you're looking at... also the simple fact that twitchy shooters where you can run around at 300mph (even though your character is only floating arms and a weapon) are super hip (ala call of duty, valorant,  etc... *insert endless list of generic "competitive" shooters*) says the opposite,  fast paced games oversaturate the market... btw i love fast paced games i just can't stand generic shooters (if you haven't guessed already)

On 6/3/2021 at 5:33 PM, tikker said:

In Crysis you could mow down palm trees, destroy the beach huts etc. Now in Resident Evil Village you have all these weird invisible walls in front of rocks and edges that keep you unnaturally far away from the edge.

i haven't played crysis and neither village (Resident Evil is my favorite series,  but it died when they made it first person, its not RE at all anymore) but I agree,  games are regressing,  during ps3 era there was a glimpse of what was to come with more compute power,  but instead of improving interactivity and physics (and graphics) they put everything in higher resolutions *sigh*

I play a lot of ps3 games... the only difference is they look a bit more blurry,  characters, environments didn't change much at all since, I'd even say they've been regressing on average. 

BTW, "fast paced", i recently played Lollipop Chainsaw (again) this time at 60fps, boy, not only is it one of the best paced games, its also really fast, and she has so many combos it never gets boring (I haven't really noticed this when I played it the first time) and actually the graphics aren't even that blurry either, that game is something else. Total trip while still being somewhat serious (as far that's possible for a zombie hunting chainsaw weilding cheerleader game lol)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity