[Update: Hostile takeover of Gentoo, others] Freenode Staff quit en-masse after secret ownership changes

rcmaehl
1 hour ago, RicenShine said:

@suicidalfranco
@Mark Kaine

While there is a certain charm to text only systems, IRC's biggest pains was logging in, saving stuff, catching up later. It honestly feels like one of the worst accessibility nightmare. With everything being command line and there is no indication on how to sign up, how to login, how to change nick(all of which the client maker could have implemented but none did), it's simply unusable at it's current stage

Ya, Im not saying we should go back to that, just specifc about "emojis" they seem indeed to be made for a group of people who dont understand them (and dont use them therefore)

Only thing where it really works is "discord" (probably also because people can easily make their own) and that yet again is an extremely volatile platform, have you ever tried to look something up thats a couple of months old? Oof…

Its possible, but its a pain and idk how far back it really goes.

Thats also the charm of early chat forms, once you close it, its gone… people behave different if they know that, its kinda weird (but often preferable imo)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

This whole thread is giving me a serious "What year is it?" Vibe. I was pretty big into IRC at the turn of the millenium but around 2004 or so I left and never want back. I even worked at a few servers for awhile. I remember everyone and their grandma using that Invision script I think it was to customize their mIRC client. Nerds brandishing their e-peen with the PC spec reporting script to see who had the most ram. XDCC bots were the place for people to pirate movies and music. I remember getting a full 5kbps one time on my dialup connection.

What year is it?

On 5/20/2021 at 9:24 PM, suicidalfranco said:

Much better imo.

Can we go back to that? Specially the no emoji, no stickers part

no 😔😕🙃😒😞😞🙃😝😝🤑😖🙁🙁😕😕😜🙃😖🤑😞🤕😡😈🤒🤒🤒😡😻😼💩🤖👺

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

17 minutes ago, Sauron said:

no 😔😕🙃😒😞😞🙃😝😝🤑😖🙁🙁😕😕😜🙃😖🤑😞🤕😡😈🤒🤒🤒😡😻😼💩🤖👺

disgusting -_-

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 5/20/2021 at 9:45 AM, Spindel said:

I’m to young to have used one but I have seen those old modems where you put the phone in IRL..

It not a modem per-say, it's an Acoustic coupler and my dad's craftsman lawnmower would over power the acoustic dampener box and I would lose like half my speed.

13 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

disgusting -_-

😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎 succumb to the emojis 😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

✨FNIGE✨

Even better, Andrew Lee is also the founder of Shells (which is a new LTT sponsor), which supposedly provides secure cloud-based desktop PC services, and the CTO of Shells is Mike “Let Mt. Gox get looted and then tried to cover it up” Karpelès. More on Ars Technica.

On 5/20/2021 at 4:34 AM, igsilya said:

It's, probably, worth mentioning that the Freenode was taken over by founder of Private Internet Access

For me as an open source software engineer who uses Freenode almost every day and has public weekly meetings there, the overall situation is scary.  I'm not sure what is actually happened, but all this is very unhealthy at the very least.  Just sent out an email to discuss moving of the primary channel to Libera.Chat.  And we seems to be migrating starting from tomorrow.

Some projects already migrated, some are in the middle of discussion.  Some links to resignation statements and moving announcements:

https://blog.bofh.it/debian/id_461
https://blog.centos.org/2021/05/centos-irc-channels-moving-to-irc-libera-chat/
https://sourcehut.org/blog/2021-05-19-liberachat/
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-community/2021q2/006888.html

14 hours ago, roanialdessatete said:

Even better, Andrew Lee is also the founder of Shells (which is a new LTT sponsor), which supposedly provides secure cloud-based desktop PC services, and the CTO of Shells is Mike “Let Mt. Gox get looted and then tried to cover it up” Karpelès. More on Ars Technica.

i HIGHLY doubt ltt will ever address this, even on the RING sponsorship back then they are just gone super silent without even answering my question to them here or on the reddit. /shrug

plus at this point - with them not addressing ring back then - ive already considered that ltt will accept any kind of sponsorship anyway no matter what, since they need to pay for their staff :)

11 hours ago, faketruth said:

i HIGHLY doubt ltt will ever address this, even on the RING sponsorship back then they are just gone super silent without even answering my question to them here or on the reddit. /shrug

plus at this point - with them not addressing ring back then - ive already considered that ltt will accept any kind of sponsorship anyway no matter what, since they need to pay for their staff 🙂

If the forums have a riot over it they'll address it, but the entire LTT fanbase will be looped in. Just like last time a company got bought out/was shady.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

This LTT sponsor also just took control over a gaming-related channel I've been an admin of for 14 years, along with more than 700 other channels. The channel was renamed, a redirect replaced the old name, and all admins lost their privileges to the renamed channel. Any channel mentioning Libera in their topics have been taken over. Good thing the community moved even before I knew what was happening.

Edited by JockeTF
Better formatting and minor correction.

7 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

If the forums have a riot over it they'll address it, but the entire LTT fanbase will be looped in. Just like last time a company got bought out/was shady.

yep, if there is a riot, but i doubt majority of llt fan will ever bother with this anyway, just like how is it with RING back then. in other word, they will never address it.

just saw linus looking for details on.. twitter, so they are probably gonna at least talk about it? dunno lol

Edited by faketruth
added twitter details

2 hours ago, JockeTF said:

This LTT sponsor also just took control over a gaming-related channel I've been an admin of for 14 years, along with more than 700 other channels. The channel was renamed, a redirect replaced the old name, and all admins lost their privileges to the renamed channel. Any channel mentioning Libera in their topics have been taken over. Good thing the community moved even before I knew what was happening.

I can confirm this.  Our channel was taken over today.

On 5/23/2021 at 10:03 PM, TigerHawk said:

This whole thread is giving me a serious "What year is it?" Vibe. I was pretty big into IRC at the turn of the millenium but around 2004 or so I left and never want back. I even worked at a few servers for awhile. I remember everyone and their grandma using that Invision script I think it was to customize their mIRC client. Nerds brandishing their e-peen with the PC spec reporting script to see who had the most ram. XDCC bots were the place for people to pirate movies and music. I remember getting a full 5kbps one time on my dialup connection.

What year is it?

Well, maybe majority of people are not using IRC today, but it's a pretty big thing for open-source software communities.  Users are asking for guidance, developers are asking questions to maintainers and discussing ways to fix some bugs.  We have weekly meetings on IRC to communicate and keep in sync with developers from different companies all over the world.  One big advantage of IRC is wide availability of open-source clients including command line clients as not everyone likes to run blobs on their systems or likes to use extensive graphic interfaces.  XMPP for some reason is not that popular in FOSS communities, but it's not a modern thing either.  Matrix gets some traction for a last couple of years, but it's not that common now as IRC.

40 minutes ago, igsilya said:

XMPP for some reason is not that popular in FOSS communities

XMPP is incredibly complex to set up properly. IRC requires starting a daemon or two and you're basically good to go.

EDIT: just saw this official statement from Gentoo 

Gentoo Freenode channels have been hijacked – Gentoo Linux

And this from GrapheneOS 

GrapheneOS on Twitter: "Freenode admins hijacked the #grapheneos and #grapheneos-offtopic channels due to us migrating to Matrix rooms: https://t.co/6FQGghonyx They removed our channel moderation privileges, changed the topic and set the channel to invite-only preventing users from joining/rejoining. https://t.co/bwj930TICX" / Twitter

So, what's the end game here?  I'm not questioning if this is happening I'm just puzzled as to why.  Can FreeNode be used a profit generator somehow?  Even if they take over channels, while it'll def harm communities, they'll migrate to other servers or even set up their own possibly.  So what's the assumed goal?

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

4 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

So, what's the end game here?  I'm not questioning if this is happening I'm just puzzled as to why.  Can FreeNode be used a profit generator somehow?  Even if they take over channels, while it'll def harm communities, they'll migrate to other servers or even set up their own possibly.  So what's the assumed goal?

Good question … how many active users des IRC / freenode have approximately? That would maybe give us a hint…  

PS: and who actually took over aka "hostile entity"? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

PS: and who actually took over aka "hostile entity"? 

Andrew Lee, the founder of Private Internet Access.

The articles are rather sparse on info, likely reflecting the lack of info we have overall. The speculation is that he slowly seized more and more power over Freenode Limited (their holding corp) until he took full control recently.

@GabenJr Any chance we can get your opinion on this?

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

On 5/20/2021 at 3:41 PM, StDragon said:

No, not that old, and I'm not sure about the whole military exclusive thing (at least in America).

ARPANET was created by ARPA which was a department of the US DoD and until the late 70s was used mostly by the military (though I believe not exclusively). In the very early 80s the National Science Foundation funded a project to expand the network to scientific institutes which was when it really went full public access.

ARPANET established many of the networking fundamentals we still use today including FTP, Email, TCP/IP, packet switching and without it we wouldn't have the modern internet at all.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

ARPANET was created by ARPA which was a department of the US DoD and until the late 70s was used mostly by the military (though I believe not exclusively). In the very early 80s the National Science Foundation funded a project to expand the network to scientific institutes which was when it really went full public access.

ARPANET established many of the networking fundamentals we still use today including FTP, Email, TCP/IP, packet switching and without it we wouldn't have the modern internet at all.

I was responding to what @WolframaticAlpha Said "You're too old to know of a time when modems were only sold by att to the military, amirite?

That is to say, at least in the US you could purchase a 2400 baud modem to dial into a privately run BBS. At that time, TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, and NetBEUI weren't even used in the session. In fact, file transfer was via XMODEM, YMODEM, and ZMODEM.

40 minutes ago, StDragon said:

I was responding to what @WolframaticAlpha Said "You're too old to know of a time when modems were only sold by att to the military, amirite?

That is to say, at least in the US you could purchase a 2400 baud modem to dial into a privately run BBS. At that time, TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, and NetBEUI weren't even used in the session. In fact, file transfer was via XMODEM, YMODEM, and ZMODEM.

Oh I'm aware, heck remember the movie War Games from the early 80s? BBS was around in the 70s and you could get those weird modems where you plug the handset of the phone on top of the thing and dial the number yourself, unfortunately here in the UK we're a bunch of luddites and AFAIK there was nothing going on here until the late 80s/early 90s. I remember the year I first got internet access was 1995 (it might have been early 96) and we had it pretty early by UK standards as my Mum was a college tutor and needed to be able to dial in to her work account from home.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Oh I'm aware, heck remember the movie War Games from the early 80s? BBS was around in the 70s and you could get those weird modems where you plug the handset of the phone on top of the thing and dial the number yourself, unfortunately here in the UK we're a bunch of luddites and AFAIK there was nothing going on here until the late 80s/early 90s. I remember the year I first got internet access was 1995 (it might have been early 96) and we had it pretty early by UK standards as my Mum was a college tutor and needed to be able to dial in to her work account from home.

Back before the Internet (TCP/IP) as we know it with HTML via Windows 95, there was Prodigy and CompuServe. AOL was its own thing, but it ran on Win95 and had gateway access to the broader internet, but really served up inTRAnet content. Microsoft's MSN was a direct competitor to AOL, but wasn't nearly as content rich despite first attempting to bake it into the OS. 

But prior to that 90's era,  the dial-up terminal BBS was extremely popular with Atomic Cafe having a huge following in Houston, TX. Some BBS access you had to pay a subscription for, but the vast majority were independently ran on people's 286 and newer at home. But it was kept local because anything else would incur long distant phone charges; and the parents wouldn't be too happy about that bill. Unfortunately those only had one phone line dedicated to them, so only one user at a time could connect.  But we could leave messages with other members or directly with the sysop. Then there was MUD games and warez including upload/download quotas.

Add me to a list of very confused forum members. The OP feels like a mess, (not a stab at the OP it's the available info that seems to be causing this). Apparently a holding company that owns the service has come in and started changing things without informing anyone and apparently bypassing the owner of the company. How exactly both from a security standpoint and an ownership standpoint did this happen. Good security should have required someone to go through the existing employee's to do this, and how did they go through the existing owner to get control of the holding company without his knowledge.

Then there's the question of terms of service and terms of employment. I suspect the employees are in the US and so are out of luck, but just taking over like that, especially when dealing with a huge amount of data is on very shaky ground, (GDPR alone would eat them alive).

1 hour ago, CarlBar said:

How exactly both from a security standpoint and an ownership standpoint did this happen.

Legal Strong arming and hidden agreements. 

To make a long story short, the former freenode head of staff secretly "sold" the network to this person even if it was not hers to sell, and our lawyers have advised us that there is not much that we can do about it without some of us risking financial ruin.

PIA and Andrew Lee are worth multiple millions, while freenode is mostly ran by volunteers and paid by donations.