[Update: Hostile takeover of Gentoo, others] Freenode Staff quit en-masse after secret ownership changes

rcmaehl

Update: Credit @HarryNyquist

Linux Distro Gentoo and Mobile OS GrapheneOS have both reported to have their channels forcibly taken from them by the new staff:

Today (2021-05-26) a large number of Gentoo channels have been hijacked by Freenode staff, including channels that were not yet migrated to Libera.chat. We cannot perceive this otherwise than as an open act of hostility and we have effectively left Freenode. Please note that at this point the only official Gentoo IRC channels, as well as developer accounts, can be found on Libera Chat.

Summary

Freenode staff have quit en-masse after the owners of the holding company took over the network.

Quotes

Staff at the freenode IRC network have resigned en-masse after control of it passed. Resignation letters piled up from Fuchs, Ed Kellett, Emīls Piņķis, Jessica Sophie Porter and others, capping weeks of drama in the FOSS world's biggest chatbox. Aaron Jones details the sequence of events and concludes that "a hostile entity is now in operational control over the network, and is in posession [sic] of your data." Svante Bengtson, puts it succinctly: During the past few months in general, and last weeks in particular, it has become increasingly clear that the owners of the holding company freenode Ltd have been planning a hostile takeover of the freenode network. That takeover is now about to happen, and I cannot in good faith volunteer for this "new" freenode. freenode Ltd's current owners' values do not align with the values freenode the network was founded on and operated under up until now.  Marco d'Itri, puts it in still-blunter terms: "To make a long story short, the former freenode head of staff secretly "sold" the network to this person even if it was not hers to sell, and our lawyers have advised us that there is not much that we can do about it without some of us risking financial ruin." The new owner's side of the story, which describes an ongoing battle for control: Given the millions I have injected into freenode thus far, the fact I own it and the fact that I protected the freenode staff with professional legal work and funding when they needed help and they could still lie and slander like this… says a lot about who they are. It saddens me that christel was forced out, and I wish she'd feel safe returning. I'm frustrated that tomaw's hostile takeover seems likely to succeed, in spite of all. I simply want freenode to keep on being a great IRC network, and to support it financially and legally as I have for a long time now. A number of those resigning have established a new IRC network, libera.chat.

My thoughts

While this won't matter for a lot of younger folks, those who grew up in the early years of the internet remember IRC as one of the early mediums for chat. It is a shame to see such drama in the community, but it's understandable considering the network was sold out from underneath them.

Sources

BoingBoing (quote source)

Boft.it

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Whatever messy situation that's going on, I wish the best for those who resigned and those who are working on libera.chat.

Okay kids, 'IRC' is 'Millennial Discord', understand?

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

1 minute ago, StDragon said:

You're too old to know what a BBS is, amiright? 😉

I know of them but I have no personal experience with a dial up BBS, no. 😛

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

17 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

I have never felt so attacked but 100% accurate

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I remember the old pirate channels like #fairlight where you would get announcements and stuff.  Even Strider was on it before he retired.

Pretty sure IRC was bigger with respect to # of users (versus total people online) than Discord ever was (not talking about montiezation).  IRC and Usenet were as important to the internet back then as the WWW.  Back then, everyone was on IRC and everyone used USENET.

There was only Quakenet in my mIRC world.

1 minute ago, Guyver1 said:

There was only Quakenet in my mIRC world.

@rcmaehl slaps @Guyver1 around a bit with a large trout

It's, probably, worth mentioning that the Freenode was taken over by founder of Private Internet Access

For me as an open source software engineer who uses Freenode almost every day and has public weekly meetings there, the overall situation is scary.  I'm not sure what is actually happened, but all this is very unhealthy at the very least.  Just sent out an email to discuss moving of the primary channel to Libera.Chat.  And we seems to be migrating starting from tomorrow.

Some projects already migrated, some are in the middle of discussion.  Some links to resignation statements and moving announcements:

https://blog.bofh.it/debian/id_461
https://blog.centos.org/2021/05/centos-irc-channels-moving-to-irc-libera-chat/
https://sourcehut.org/blog/2021-05-19-liberachat/
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-community/2021q2/006888.html

18 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

But without calls, videos, markdown, maybe not even emoji.

You, text and emotionless screen

Also what exactly was Usenet every info around it is so vague.

BBS is still in some places like inkscape, notpron, indie video game devs
 etc. etc.

13 minutes ago, RicenShine said:

Usenet is still operational.  Though instead of being used for messaging it's now used for high speed automated piracy.

38 minutes ago, RicenShine said:

Basically a massIve BBS masquerading as a newsletter or reddit of the 80's

19 hours ago, StDragon said:

You're too old to know what a BBS is, amiright? 😉

You're too old to know of a time when modems were only sold by att to the military, amirite?

3 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

You're too old to know of a time when modems were only sold by att to the military, amirite?

I’m to young to have used one but I have seen those old modems where you put the phone in IRL..

12 minutes ago, Spindel said:

I’m to young to have used one but I have seen those old modems where you put the phone in IRL..

my parents still used that modem until 2 years ago

1 hour ago, RicenShine said:

yeah, it was simpler, and that made it better in some ways, you also didnt have people constantly misinterpreting things because "its hard to convey emotions over the internet" the stuff used ("text emojis") was a lot more distinct.

And people were a lot more careful about simply making stuff up because  in a way it was also easier to call them out on their bs and trolls didnt already have figured out a million ways to play the "victim card".

Btw, I never used "usenet" but similar early forms of internet communication (we used to call it "chat") 😛

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

56 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

No, not that old, and I'm not sure about the whole military exclusive thing (at least in America).

My dialup BBS days goes back to the 14.4K US Robotics modem.

7 minutes ago, StDragon said:

No, not that old, and I'm not sure about the whole military exclusive thing (at least in America).

My dialup BBS days goes back to the 14.4K US Robotics modem.

Not military exclusive. They were just so phreaking(geddit?) expensive due to the monopoly of the AT&T.

My days went back to a 56k modem. I used to hang around on the BASIC usenet group and some irc chatrooms. I still remember being blown off by chatzilla, bitchx and erc(the emacs irc client)

10 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

I used to hang around on the BASIC usenet group and some irc chatrooms. I still remember being blown off by chatzilla, bitchx and erc(the emacs irc client)

I would dial into BBS's such as the ones hosted by the Renegade platform. Door / MUD games, downloads, chat, etc.

You can still host from a Windows machine via Synchronet, but it's a kludge last I looked. Maybe there's a newer platform for BBS hosting? I wouldn't mind starting another and connecting via SSH. 

6 hours ago, RicenShine said:

You, text and emotionless screen

Much better imo.

Can we go back to that? Specially the no emoji, no stickers part

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 5/19/2021 at 2:14 PM, CerealExperimentsLain said:

LOL, 'Gen x discord', you get Myspace. 

2 minutes ago, Heliian said:

LOL, 'Gen x discord', you get Myspace. 

My LIVE JOURNAL is offended.

@suicidalfranco
@Mark Kaine

While there is a certain charm to text only systems, IRC's biggest pains was logging in, saving stuff, catching up later. It honestly feels like one of the worst accessibility nightmare. With everything being command line and there is no indication on how to sign up, how to login, how to change nick(all of which the client maker could have implemented but none did), it's simply unusable at it's current stage