Don't wait for the Switch Pro, Buy This Today!

ivycomb

Powerful handheld console-style gaming PCs are popping up on the market trying to get a slice of the Nintendo Switches pie. Today we've got a BIG one here to try out and play some games on!

Check out the ONE XPLAYER at https://geni.us/azYnMV

i do the writing of things hello | they/them

This sounds so much like an advertisement that I was about to report this as advertising on the forum until I realized it was an LMG staff. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

I love how on their page they boast 2560x1600 HD then the fps figures are asterisked to 720p. I mean sure at the size of the screen it wont be a big deal but... that was kinda pointless.

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

Arent these things just borderline ewaste that get unsupported extremely quickly with proprietary parts that are hard to find due to the low sales numbers?

They'll always be too niche to become anything big, hence why they're always on a kickstarter website. And every time I see them I can't help but roll my eyes 🙄

That's a chunky boi.

Even Linus has trouble holding it up and needs to prop it down to be comfortable.
Considering Yuzu doesn't work, I don't see this replacing a Switch. But it might be ok for older games... That said, I would prefer the smaller GPD device.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

30 minutes ago, JBee said:

Check out the ONE XPLAYER at https://geni.us/azYnMV

1. Advertising your bosses own YouTube channel
  2. Shortened link
  3. Crowdfunding link

You're on thin ice buddy /s

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

20 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

But can it run Mario Maker 2?

Peobably.

Switch emulation is already near full speed on some games

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Would love a video comparing these kind of devices to an iPad Pro or portable laptop using moonlight (iPad/android game streaming) or GeForce in home streaming from a desktop. I personally use moonlight on my iPad Pro to do 120 FPS game streaming a couple times a week.

3 hours ago, Murasaki said:

I love how on their page they boast 2560x1600 HD then the fps figures are asterisked to 720p. I mean sure at the size of the screen it wont be a big deal but... that was kinda pointless.

They'll always be too niche to become anything big, hence why they're always on a kickstarter website. And every time I see them I can't help but roll my eyes 🙄

I'm with you here.  2560x1600 is a great resolution but the hardware is only ideal for running 2D things or very old 3D games like that.  So you're going to be scaling lower res renders up to the native resolution of the display.  1080p would be a more suitable compromise considering the hardware in the machine.

That said, I wonder how many people would see the display resolution as a 'selling factor' despite many games not making good use of it.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

why do they have Deus Ex: Mankind Divided on every system that they test but they never show it or mention the benchmark of it?

This could have been done with the original 8 inch Surface Go if only Microsoft would have made it THICKER - all this obsession with thin has left mobile devices a painful compromise between battery life and processing performance. Even on my 4 year old Samsung 8 inch Galaxy Tab I cringe every time I need to recharge, because for just 4mm more thickness they could have DOUBLED the battery life. with only a marginal impact on size/weight. Tech companies follow a bad formula: Marketing > Engineering = Stupid.

With that out of the way I do have to question if this is to be considered a product review or just a marketing plug. Shame on you Linus. It's not a finished product, you cannot buy it retail and the only information available on it is through a link to a crowdfunding campaign. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these fall into two categories: (1) get rich quick schemes for the initiators who pocket big $$$ and ship out one production run of first gen product never to be heard of again, or (2) vaporware that never takes off in the first place. The fact that they have to crowd source their funding doesn't inspire confidence - are they on such shaky ground that they cannot find an investor long-term or finance their operation themselves?

As for GPD, while they have a solid record, the fact that they still use crowdfunding to launch their products dismisses them from serious consideration. They are at the point now where they should have a retail presence with a proper online store. Viliv was a company that made similar products to GPD maybe 8-10 years ago and I remember seeing their booth as CES. That one flopped as well, although to give them some slack, the handheld market was Atom or nothing back then.

The "weird controller behavior", is a behavior of lots of games and USB controllers.

On this video he realizes the Intel Xe drivers are not up to the task when he tries to run Pers0na on RPCS3

however after speaking to the folks at the emulator forum they let me know that the correct settings will

get the emulator to work fine on that platform.

I'm just wondering if we could let Linus know that the folks at RPCS3 emailed him about the issue with

instructions on how to get it working correctly on that handheld based on Xe.

Assuming he gets tons of emails on a daily basis it would be nice if someone could let him know that

such email was sent to him and perhaps he can give it a try next time he tests a similar hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52vo1g4VBbc

19 hours ago, Paul2021 said:

On this video he realizes the Intel Xe drivers are not up to the task when he tries to run Pers0na on RPCS3

however after speaking to the folks at the emulator forum they let me know that the correct settings will

get the emulator to work fine on that platform.

I'm just wondering if we could let Linus know that the folks at RPCS3 emailed him about the issue with

instructions on how to get it working correctly on that handheld based on Xe.

Assuming he gets tons of emails on a daily basis it would be nice if someone could let him know that

such email was sent to him and perhaps he can give it a try next time he tests a similar hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52vo1g4VBbc

Merged to official video thread (usually these are linked in video description).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv