What's a tech term you hate?

da na
3 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Rig in reference to a PC / setup. Idk why it bothers me, it just does.

"Battle station" falls in the same category for me. I hate it.

There was also a trend when everyone called their PC "warmachine" if i recall right.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

"Battle station" falls in the same category for me. I hate it.

There was also a trend when everyone called their PC "warmachine" if i recall right.

I don't remember war machine, but battle station bothers me in the same way as rig, I agree. It's not an intense hatred, more like a very slight cringe.

Free

You mean Free with premium features?

Free as in I can do what I want with the product?

The product itself is Free of charge?

The product is Free but it's basically a NSA spy device?

Could we come up with a better term please?

• 2 weeks later...

This is not really something I hate at all but I think it's worth mentioning. Software licensed under the GNU GPL license is called "free software" and I often see people mixing the term with "freeware"

"free software" and "freeware" are totally different things:-

Free software under GPL:- You have complete rights to the software a.k.a you can modify anything or even sell that software.

Freeware:- you have next to no rights to the software other than just using it (it's closed source, You can't redistribute it etc.).

I think FSF should have come with a better name like "libre software" which means the exact same thing as "free software" but it is much hard to mix up.

1 hour ago, WickedThunder86 said:

This is not really something I hate at all but I think it's worth mentioning. Software licensed under the GNU GPL license is called "free software" and I often see people mixing the term with "freeware"

"free software" and "freeware" are totally different things:-

Free software under GPL:- You have complete rights to the software a.k.a you can modify anything or even sell that software.

Freeware:- you have next to no rights to the software other than just using it (it's closed source, You can't redistribute it etc.).

I think FSF should have come with a better name like "libre software" which means the exact same thing as "free software" but it is much hard to mix up.

what about shareware?  😛

People calling cables "iPhone Cable" or "Samsung Cable"
ITS NOT TO HARD TO LEARN HOW A LIGHTNING, 30 PIN, MICRO USB AND TYPE C CABLE LOOKS LIKE AND IS CALLED

Also: People assuming every smartphone is either a Samsung or iPhone

And the worst: Calling every console in existence "a Nintendo"

I hate dealing with tech ignorant people, young or old. I JUST EXPLAINED TO YOU 5 MINUTES AGO WHAT IT IS CALLED

I like custom keyboards
Keyboard: IDOBAO ID80 V2 ISO White, 3203 lubed Glorious Pandas, Durock v2 stabs lubed and holee modded, Tai Hao Bright Miami PBT keycaps
Laptop: HP Spectre Pro x360 G2 (i5-6200U, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SATA M2)

Tablet: iPad 8th gen 128GB + Apple Pen
My PC:
Corsair 5000D Airflow White
ASRock x570 Taichi
Ryzen 9 3900X stock
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
4x8GB Patriot Viper RGB White 3200Mhz CL16
ASUS TUF 3070 V2 OC LHR
Intel 600p 1TB NVME (GAME DRIVE)
Silicon Power A80 1TB NVME (GAME DRIVE)
Sabrent Rocket Gen3 1TB NVME (OS DRIVE)
2x640GB WD Caviar Blue 7200rpm (manufactured Nov2008)
3x Arctic P12 White

3x Arctic P12 ARGB

4x LianLi Unifans 120
BeQuiet! StraightPower11 850W 80+ Gold
Windows 11 Insider Build, Zorin OS in dual boot config

1 minute ago, AlexandraYume said:

People calling cables "iPhone Cable" or "Samsung Cable"
ITS NOT TO HARD TO LEARN HOW A LIGHTNING, 30 PIN, MICRO USB AND TYPE C CABLE LOOKS LIKE AND IS CALLED

My grandmother has tried so many times to put a lightning into a micro usb and type c port and...it annoys me. I tried to teach her but she says "it isnt hurting anything"

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

1 minute ago, XGoodGuyFitz said:

My grandmother has tried so many times to put a lightning into a micro usb and type c port and...it annoys me. I tried to teach her but she says "it isnt hurting anything"

it pisses me off to be honest. They know how a zillion actors, musicians and such are called and know every minor detail of their lives. or know 3496191562934241 useless facts, but then refuse to learn something so simple yet important.

Its not hard. Its not difficult. They are just to arrogant/ignorant to care and just make other people suffer by asking them for help a million times a day

I like custom keyboards
Keyboard: IDOBAO ID80 V2 ISO White, 3203 lubed Glorious Pandas, Durock v2 stabs lubed and holee modded, Tai Hao Bright Miami PBT keycaps

My PC:
ASRock x570 Taichi
Ryzen 9 3900X stock
ASUS TUF 3070 V2 OC LHR
3x Arctic P12 White

3x Arctic P12 ARGB

4x LianLi Unifans 120

it pisses me off to be honest. They know how a zillion actors, musicians and such are called and know every minor detail of their lives. or know 3496191562934241 useless facts, but then refuse to learn something so simple yet important.

Its not hard. Its not difficult. They are just to arrogant/ignorant to care and just make other people suffer by asking them for help a million times a day

Another thing I hate is when parents get onto you for being on a device even when they tell you that you are allowed. "You will not learn anything from those nintendos" well yes i will people technology is the future you guys will be clueless when everything switches over completely. 

Don't ask to ask. 
Thanks!

2 minutes ago, XGoodGuyFitz said:

Another thing I hate is when parents get onto you for being on a device even when they tell you that you are allowed. "You will not learn anything from those nintendos" well yes i will people technology is the future you guys will be clueless when everything switches over completely. 

you literally just described my grandmother.

She constantly was like that in my childhood and now she wants to go with the time and have a smartphone and tablet. She kept annoying her housband like crazy (he knows tech well, he daily drives OpenSUSE and knows tech well, thanks to my uncle) and he just gave up. She is to arrogant/ignorant to listen to you or take you seriously when you sacrifice your time to teach her stuff. She just expects family to teach her everything over and over so she doesnt have to learn.
Well bad luck for her. Noone cares anymore to do that. She ruined it everyone. Now she refuses to even touch her iPhone and iPad since she refused to learn how to use it when we were teaching her

I like custom keyboards

My PC:
ASRock x570 Taichi
Ryzen 9 3900X stock
ASUS TUF 3070 V2 OC LHR
3x Arctic P12 White

3x Arctic P12 ARGB

4x LianLi Unifans 120

you literally just described my grandmother.

She constantly was like that in my childhood and now she wants to go with the time and have a smartphone and tablet. She kept annoying her housband like crazy (he knows tech well, he daily drives OpenSUSE and knows tech well, thanks to my uncle) and he just gave up. She is to arrogant/ignorant to listen to you or take you seriously when you sacrifice your time to teach her stuff. She just expects family to teach her everything over and over so she doesnt have to learn.
Well bad luck for her. Noone cares anymore to do that. She ruined it everyone. Now she refuses to even touch her iPhone and iPad since she refused to learn how to use it when we were teaching her

Thats sad. Why do they do that? My parents tell me i dont do anything(which i really dont, but i am not unhealthy, just not good at sports)

Don't ask to ask. 
Thanks!

1 minute ago, XGoodGuyFitz said:

Thats sad. Why do they do that? My parents tell me i dont do anything(which i really dont, but i am not unhealthy, just not good at sports)

I dont wanna delve deeper into it, but TLDR my whole family is full of fucked up people. Especially my parents, grandmother and my sister. I am glad I moved out and ghosted them when I turned 18.

I like custom keyboards

My PC:
ASRock x570 Taichi
Ryzen 9 3900X stock
ASUS TUF 3070 V2 OC LHR
3x Arctic P12 White

3x Arctic P12 ARGB

4x LianLi Unifans 120

25 minutes ago, AlexandraYume said:

If you are continuing the topic of calling charging cables “iPhone cable” or “Samsung cable”, maybe it seems simple and important to you but for other people it really doesn’t matter. If they can tell the cables apart, why is it critical for them to know the name of the connectors? 

If you aren’t a car enthusiast, a mechanic would be able to say the same thing about you in regard to hundreds of different things. How could you not know what a part is called when it is so simple yet important? 

When you know more about a topic than the average person or are just passionate about it, whether it is tech, cars, or whatever, you can forget that most people don’t share your interests and just don’t care. As long as it works, they don’t care or want to remember that this connector is called a  Lightening connector, while this one is called a USB Micro B connector. 

16 minutes ago, The_russian said:

If you are continuing the topic of calling charging cables “iPhone cable” or “Samsung cable”, maybe it seems simple and important to you but for other people it really doesn’t matter. If they can tell the cables apart, why is it critical for them to know the name of the connectors? 

If you aren’t a car enthusiast, a mechanic would be able to say the same thing about you in regard to hundreds of different things. How could you not know what a part is called when it is so simple yet important? 

When you know more about a topic than the average person or are just passionate about it, whether it is tech, cars, or whatever, you can forget that most people don’t share your interests and just don’t care. As long as it works, they don’t care or want to remember that this connector is called a  Lightening connector, while this one is called a USB Micro B connector. 

The issue is, a "Samsung Connector" in my family can mean either A. Micro USB Cable B. Type-C Cable C. That weird 3.0 Micro USB Cable of the Samsung Galaxy S5 D. A proprietary Camera charging Cable E. a 12V Barrel Jack

Do you see the issue why it grinds my gears?
Also how it caused confusion, frustration and anger?

I like custom keyboards

My PC:
ASRock x570 Taichi
Ryzen 9 3900X stock
ASUS TUF 3070 V2 OC LHR
3x Arctic P12 White

3x Arctic P12 ARGB

4x LianLi Unifans 120

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2021 at 6:38 PM, AlexandraYume said:

And the worst: Calling every console in existence "a Nintendo"

My mother calls every Nintendo in existence "Nintendo".

I have like 3 of them

Products being labeled "pro" even they are clearly intended for users that could be farther away from being a professional. Same with "enterprise grade". Most of the time its just marketing bs...

If you need recommendations for a new printer (the ones that use paper) you can tag me, i should be able to help 🙂

2 hours ago, Aderalia said:

Products being labeled "pro" even they are clearly intended for users that could be farther away from being a professional. Same with "enterprise grade". Most of the time its just marketing bs...

Like the iphone compared to say, the Xperia?

Kind of yeah 🙂

If you need recommendations for a new printer (the ones that use paper) you can tag me, i should be able to help 🙂

4 hours ago, Aderalia said:

There is also a category called “prosumer” which often means “some enterprise level features but not all of them” which often avoids basic reliability stuff like build quality.   This is also often called “pro” as well. The iPhone pro seems to fall into this one.   

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 hours ago, Aderalia said:

To be fair the entire use of "pro" on tech forums regarding computers is just stupid. I mean apparently I'm not a "pro" computer user because I just do some AutoCAD, excel, mail and other stuff on the computers I use. Doesn't matter that I use these machines in my "pro"-fession and make money from using them.  

In marketing "pro" is used in the play ground sense as in "wow Sven, you play football (soccer for you americans) as a pro". No Sven is not a professional football player, Sven is 7 years old and his friends are just impressed and use the "pro" moniker as a superlative. 

People should realize that "pro" is just a marketing moniker for "better, in whatever minuscule way, than this other product that we sell". Just as 20-25 years ago every other product had "2000" in their names or that about 40 years ago everything had "turbo" in its name, I've yet to see a shaving kit that actually packs a real turbine. 

Any time someone takes a universally agreed upon definition and twists it to try to make themselves look right. 

Seen that happen a few times in this tread. It doesn’t make you right, it just makes you look like you don’t know what you’re talking about. 

"My personal rig". Has always annoyed the absolute jeffries out of me. "My personal personal computer" /roll eyes.

How many special people change?
How many lives are livin' strange?
Where were you while we were getting high?

6 minutes ago, AlienALX said:

"My personal rig". Has always annoyed the absolute jeffries out of me. "My personal personal computer" /roll eyes.

Why?  Absolutely nothing wrong with the term rig.