What's a tech term you hate?

da na
3 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Why?  Absolutely nothing wrong with the term rig.

I don't think you understood that. Rig = PC right? PC = personal computer. So when someone says, smugly (usually) "Hi I'm Tarquin and this is my personal rig" (closes eyes as he says the last two words) what he is saying is "This is my personal personal computer".

It's the most silly "upcycled" name for a computer ever. Can't just say "this is my PC". No. It has to be personalised even more than it is already 😄

How many special people change?
How many lives are livin' strange?
Where were you while we were getting high?

1 minute ago, AlienALX said:

I don't think you understood that. Rig = PC right? PC = personal computer. So when someone says, smugly (usually) "Hi I'm Tarquin and this is my personal rig" (closes eyes as he says the last two words) what he is saying is "This is my personal personal computer".

It's the most silly "upcycled" name for a computer ever. Can't just say "this is my PC". No. It has to be personalised even more than it is already 😄

Theres a public pc at a library

theres a personal pc at home

makes sense to me

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Haven't popped in on this thread in a few months. 

I hate how laptops are referred to as separate from PCs and PCs are only the thing on the desk. Like, even if it's a laptop it's still a personal computer! By extension this could be referring to Windows machines as PCs and Apple computers not, but that's more understandable and I'm fine with it honestly. Goes back to the 80s. 

3 hours ago, Spindel said:

To be fair the entire use of "pro" on tech forums regarding computers is just stupid.

"Pro" in some senses is fine. Like, for example, AMD's whole line called Radeon Pro designed for professionals that have a legitimate need for different hardware than the filthy plebian gamers. Or Ryzen Pro, designed for businesses. Or even Xeons, designed for creative professionals. However, the term "pro" or worse "pro gamer" being chucked around meaninglessly is sorta like using "hacker" to describe someone who's just good at a game. I quite prefer the term 'power user' for people who do work deserving of 'pro' hardware. 

On 9/30/2021 at 10:14 AM, Mojo-Jojo said:

"Molex connector" as if it's a single type of connector.

Not many people realize this, but Molex is a manufacturer of many, many different types of connectors or even simple pin-headers. In fact, most connectors inside the PC are Molex' Microfit connectors. This includes the 4/8-pin, 24-pin connectors as well as the PCIE power-connectors.

Yep. 

Molex even invented DMS-59, so we've got that to scream at them thank them for. I've got several cables lying around labeled Molex. Most internal but a few not. 

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

There is also a category called “prosumer” which often means “some enterprise level features but not all of them” which often avoids basic reliability stuff like build quality.   This is also often called “pro” as well. The iPhone pro seems to fall into this one.   

Like the difference between a Radeon Pro and a Quadro IMO. 

Radeon Pro cards? I like them, but it's literally a reference board gaming card with a blue blower cooler, different BIOS, perhaps different display outputs and some shader cores disabled (generally).

Quadros? At the top end, 4x as expensive as Radeon Pros... but much better built. You really get what you pay for though - fantastic cooler design, great thermals, very quiet. And some actually have features that gaming cards don't. 

22 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

*snip*…'power user' for people who do work deserving of 'pro' hardware. 

Hey let me just fetch a PowerMac with a PowerPC cpu.

45 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Ugh... got me there

Another similar term that is used is “commercial”.  That one got used a lot with kitchen equipment.    It wound up getting bastardized too though.  Name inflation.  “Enterprise” seems to me to be the current term in computing. There are all manners of griddles by size and weight, but a fry cook in a restaurant will often use a griddle made of a 3/4” cast iron plate that is so heavy it cannot be lifted without equipment.  Commonly a very very old one.  They don’t wear out very fast,  they’re an incredible pita to install, and technology just hasn’t changed all that much there. Something made in 1915 will work just as well as something made in 2015,  generally they go out of use because of economic changes or the valves for the heating system can no longer be replaced and have worn away.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 hours ago, AlienALX said:

"My personal rig". Has always annoyed the absolute jeffries out of me. "My personal personal computer" /roll eyes.

Does it also annoy you when people refer to their headphones as "Cans"?

17 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Another similar term that is used is “commercial”.  That one got used a lot with kitchen equipment.    It wound up getting bastardized too though.  Name inflation.  “Enterprise” seems to me to be the current term in computing. There are all manners of griddles by size and weight, but a fry cook in a restaurant will often use a griddle made of a 3/4” cast iron plate that is so heavy it cannot be lifted without equipment.  Commonly a very very old one.  They don’t wear out very fast,  they’re an incredible pita to install, and technology just hasn’t changed all that much there. Something made in 1915 will work just as well as something made in 2015,  generally they go out of use because of economic changes or the valves for the heating system can no longer be replaced and have worn away.

I refer to boob lights and chrome faucets with clear acrylic knobs as examples of "contractor grade" crap that gets installed in homes.  Things that are of low quality and often come in large packs of multiple items. 

2 hours ago, IPD said:

Does it also annoy you when people refer to their headphones as "Cans"?

Not particularly. At least it's one word. I'm a bit of a grammar nazi, being autistic, so things that don't read correctly piss me off more than anything. Like personal personal rig.

That said I would never refer to either my RS2E or T5P merely as "cans". They are musical instruments 🙂

On 5/7/2021 at 9:32 PM, Jurrunio said:

Calling 1440p "2K"

Fuuuuuuuckkkkkk this bothers me so much. 1440p could be described as 2.5K at best. 2K means "roughly 2000 horizontal pixels", or more specifically refers to the DCI Cinema 2K standard (2048 x 1080).

1920 x 1080 can also be referred to as 2K, though for some reason this seems to bother people too.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

People thinking the only web browser that exists is Chrome.

23 hours ago, AlienALX said:

2 hours ago, AlienALX said:

Not particularly. At least it's one word. I'm a bit of a grammar nazi, being autistic, so things that don't read correctly piss me off more than anything. Like personal personal rig.

They're not, that's not how synonyms work. Sure it's slang, but rig is its own noun referring to your computer, so saying "personal rig" is not saying "personal personal computer". Saying "personal PC" would be more double.

2 hours ago, AlienALX said:

That said I would never refer to either my RS2E or T5P merely as "cans". They are musical instruments

Well if you're going to be pedantic about "personal rig" you better stop calling your audio devices "musical instruments" 😉 You can't play a pair of headphones.

I guess a recent one of mine is not necessarily tech. It is using commits as versions. It's probably right in the sense that it is a version of the thing, but please give me a properly released "version 3.14" and not a "version ad3784c".

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

9 hours ago, IPD said:

I refer to boob lights and chrome faucets with clear acrylic knobs as examples of "contractor grade" crap that gets installed in homes.  Things that are of low quality and often come in large packs of multiple items. 

I was going to bring up contractor grade. Another similar one is milspec or military grade. It’s a completely meaningless term unless it’s actually been reviewed and approved by the military. No, your Ford F-150 does not have a “milspec chassis.” It also doesn’t mean it’s tough, it just means it’s built to the exact specifications outlined by the military. 

1 hour ago, InstantNewt said:

I was going to bring up contractor grade. Another similar one is milspec or military grade. It’s a completely meaningless term unless it’s actually been reviewed and approved by the military. No, your Ford F-150 does not have a “milspec chassis.” It also doesn’t mean it’s tough, it just means it’s built to the exact specifications outlined by the military. 

They actually call the aluminum "military grade", not--i think--the shape it is formed into.  Which is disingenuous because that's basically saying "this alloy is used in some military applications".  And also, is that the US military, North Korea's military, Chile's Military?  Heck "military spec" probably should literally mean "Not COTS friendly and therefore proprietary and p*$$ expensive".

Almost as meaningless as the "Trail Rated" badges that get slapped on Jeep's TO THIS DAY.  I hate Jeeps with a visceral passion.  Stop putting "Willys" on your bloody Jeep.  You'd be better off putting "FORD" on them--because at least historically that would make more sense.

lol a lot. especially when it turns into tech babble: the most recent ones:

-Enhanced

-"Efficiency core"

-"performancy core"

-TPT2 and TPT 1.2

-GPU: you you meen the graphics card? 'no I meen the GpU'  -_-.

-Sponsor in the context of youtube: It's a adveriser who wants LMG. Or what ever channel to actually admit they are being pimped out.  It's  $$. it's also sold somones soul.

I fucking hate the word: Bitcoin miner. right now because all that means is now some pretenous dick that can't drop his/her fake money crack in the middle of a god damn pandemic where all parts, and raw materials are just but raped for availability. 

Seperately: Bassicaly  all of MS's alphabet soup of jiberies for acronyms for example IE (as in iEEEEEEEE. the web browser).  MSIE, MSSP.  etc. etc.

For me it's CPU when referring to the whole computer. Really rustles the jimmies.

MAIN SYSTEM: Intel i9 10850K | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4-3600C16 | RTX 3070 FE | MSI Z490 Gaming Carbon WIFI | Corsair H100i Pro 240mm AIO | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSDs | EVGA SuperNova 850 P2 | Fractal Design Meshify C | Razer Cynosa V2 | Corsair Scimitar Elite | Gigabyte G27Q

Other Devices: iPhone 12 128GB | Nintendo Switch | Surface Pro 7+ (work device)

On 11/5/2021 at 2:04 PM, Mel0nMan said:

Yep. 

Molex even invented DMS-59, so we've got that to scream at them thank them for. I've got several cables lying around labeled Molex. Most internal but a few not. 

I think I remember my father calling every connector in this computer 4 or 8 pin molex, but I haven't heard the term since for anything other than the connectors used for hard drives before SATA power

18 hours ago, tikker said:

They're not, that's not how synonyms work. Sure it's slang, but rig is its own noun referring to your computer, so saying "personal rig" is not saying "personal personal computer". Saying "personal PC" would be more double.

Well if you're going to be pedantic about "personal rig" you better stop calling your audio devices "musical instruments" 😉 You can't play a pair of headphones.

I guess a recent one of mine is not necessarily tech. It is using commits as versions. It's probably right in the sense that it is a version of the thing, but please give me a properly released "version 3.14" and not a "version ad3784c".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_instrument

A musical instrument is a device created or adapted to make musical sounds. In principle, any object that produces sound can be considered a musical instrument

I'm fortunate enough to have a pair of Sonus Faber. On the box it says "Precision Musical Instrument".

So ner.

25 minutes ago, AlienALX said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_instrument

A musical instrument is a device created or adapted to make musical sounds. In principle, any object that produces sound can be considered a musical instrument

I'm fortunate enough to have a pair of Sonus Faber. On the box it says "Precision Musical Instrument".

So ner.

Wikipedia continues with "A person who plays a musical instrument is known as an instrumentalist". You don't play your Sonus Faber's. They only reproduce sound. Granted, if you hit them with a stick they become percussive instruments.

Definitions in the Oxord and Cambridge dictionaries also imply headphones aren't instruments:

Spoiler

instrument noun [C] (MUSIC)

(also musical instrument)

an object, such as a piano, guitar, or drum, that is played to produce musical sounds:

musical instrument

noun

/ˌmjuːzɪkl ˈɪnstrəmənt/

/ˌmjuːzɪkl ˈɪnstrəmənt/
(also instrument)
  1. an object used for producing musical sounds, for example a piano or a drum

10 hours ago, Gork said:

-"Efficiency core"

-"performancy core"

What's the gripe with these, as that's literally what they are?

10 hours ago, Gork said:

-GPU: you you meen the graphics card? 'no I meen the GpU'  -_-.

Curious about this one as well. Are you annoyed that the GPU is technically the chip on the board?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Now who's being pedantic 😉