It's Finally Out! iOS/iPadOS 14.5 has been released with the ability to block app (Facebook) tracking.

JLO64

Summary

iOS/iPadOS 14.5 has just been released this Monday with its biggest feature called "App Tracking Transparency" which will allow users to block apps from tracking them across other apps and websites which will seriously affect the ability for ad companies like Facebook and Google to serve personalized ads to users. Users will be prompted whether or not they want to allow a specific app to track them when it attempts to do so.  In this same prompt developers are given a paragraph to explain why users should allow themselves to be tracked. Additional settings to block app tracking are also available within the settings app. Apple has reportedly held back this update in order to allow developers to prepare for it and because of the backlash they faced from several companies, most notably Facebook.

Last year Facebook took out a full page ad in the Wall Street Journal proclaiming that this feature would hurt small businesses more than anybody else.

In the ad, Facebook says: "Many in the small business community have shared concerns about Apple's forced software update, which will limit businesses' ability to run personalized ads and reach their customers effectively."

Apple replied to this ad with this statement:

We believe that this is a simple matter of standing up for our users. Users should know when their data is being collected and shared across other apps and websites -- and they should have the choice to allow that or not. App Tracking Transparency in iOS 14 does not require Facebook to change its approach to tracking users and creating targeted advertising, it simply requires they give users a choice.

Other companies have publicly reacted to this feature (just not as loud as Facebook did) with Unity and Snapchat warning their respective investors that they will be impacted.

Unity Software said in its earnings report that the changes to IDFA will affect the way mobile game developers get new customers and “how they optimize lifetime customer value.” 

In prepared remarks, Snap chief financial officer Derek Andersen said the Apple changes would present a risk of interruption to demand after they’re implemented.

Finally, Apple has stated that they will punish developers who track users without permission.

And if tech players do track without permission, that means bad news for the apps they work with. Apple’s senior vice president of software engineering Craig Federighi said last week that starting in 2021, Apple will remove apps from its App Store that track users in ways that could be shared with other companies without receiving permission from the user.

My thoughts

It'll be interesting to see how Facebook and Google will react to these changes in the long run as this will impact core parts of their advertising business. While iPhone users don't have a market share as big as Android users, they are more likely on average to spend more than their counterparts. There will be a dent to both of these companies and they know it. What's most surprising to me is how little Google has been fighting this. My guess is that they won't be as affected by this as Facebook is since plenty of iPhone users use their services and apps (Google is the default search engine for Apple devices) and Apple can't block Google from tracking them there.

In any case once I finish posting this I'll be updating my iPad to it. I will be interested in seeing how the user experience is like for blocking app tracking.

Oh they also added the ability to unlock a Face ID equipped phone with a mask on if you have an Apple Watch, support for Apple's new Airtags, updated the podcasts app (I hate Spotify's podcast UI with a burning passion so yay), support for Xbox Series and PS5 controllers, and the ability to set Spotify as the default music player when using Siri.

Sources

https://www.inc.com/jason-aten/facebook-took-out-a-full-page-ad-slamming-apples-move-to-protect-user-privacy-it-didnt-go-well.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/26/apple-ios-14point5-iphone-update-is-out-now-heres-whats-new.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/04/snap-unity-warn-of-impact-from-apple-ios-14-idfa-privacy-changes.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/15/apples-seismic-change-to-the-mobile-ad-industry-draws-near.html

Arch is better than Ubuntu. Fight me peko.

Here is the offical Apple page on this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211808#145

And a more complete list of the new features (everything besides the minor bug fixes)

Spoiler
  • Ability to unlock your iPhone X and later with Apple Watch Series 3 and later when you attempt to use Face ID while wearing a face mask
  • Support for AirTag to keep track of and find your important items like your keys, wallet, backpack and more, privately and securely in the Find My app
  • Precision Finding uses visual, audible, and haptic feedback to guide you directly to your nearby AirTag using Ultra Wideband provided by the U1 chip on iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 models
  • AirTag can be located by playing a sound via the built-in speaker
  • The Find My network with hundreds of millions of devices can help you find your AirTag, even when it isn't nearby
  • Lost Mode notifies you when your AirTag is found, and you can enter a phone number where you can be contacted
  • Support for separate skin tones for each individual in all variations of the couple kissing emoji and couple with heart emoji
  • New face emojis, heart emojis, woman with a beard emoji
  • Siri now includes more diverse voice options
  • Incoming calls can be announced with Siri, including who is calling, when you're wearing your AirPods or compatible Beats headphones, and you can answer hands-free
  • Group FaceTime calls are supported by asking Siri to FaceTime a list of contacts or a group name from Messages
  • Emergency contacts can be called by asking Siri
  • App Tracking Transparency lets you control which apps are allowed to track your activity across other companies' apps and websites for ads or sharing with data brokers
  • Share your favorite lyrics using Messages, Facebook, and Instagram Stories, and subscribers can play the snippet in Messages without leaving the conversation
  • City charts showcase what's popular in over 100 cities from all over the world
  • Podcasts Show Pages are redesigned to make it easier to start listening
  • Option to save and download episodes, automatically adding them to your Library for quick access
  • Download behavior and notification settings can be customized on a show-by-show basis
  • Top Charts and popular categories in Search help you discover new shows
  • Dual SIM support enables 5G connectivity on the line that's using cellular data on iPhone 12 models
  • Smart Data Mode improvements further optimize your experience on 5G networks for better battery life and data usage on iPhone 12 models
  • 5G international roaming enabled on supported carriers on iPhone 12 models
  • Redesigned News+ tab enables Apple News+ subscribers to quickly find, download, and manage magazine and newspaper issues
  • All-new Search experience that helps you find relevant topics, channels, and stories
  • Accidents, hazards, or speed checks along your route can be reported by telling Siri on your iPhone or on CarPlay
  • Estimated time of arrival (ETA) can be shared when cycling or walking, in addition to driving, by asking Siri or tapping on the route card at the bottom of the screen, then tapping Share ETA
  • Ability to sort reminders by Title, Priority, Due Date, or Creation date
  • Option to print your reminder lists
  • Translation playback speed can be adjusted by long pressing the play button
  • Xbox Series X|S Wireless Controller or Sony PS5 DualSense™ Wireless Controller support
  • Ability to stream audio and video content from Apple Fitness+ workouts to AirPlay 2-enabled TVs and devices
  • ETA in Apple Maps can be easily shared while driving with new Siri or keyboard controls in CarPlay

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Here is the offical Apple page on this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211808#145

And a more complete list of the new features (everything besides the minor bug fixes)

Reveal hidden contents
  • Ability to unlock your iPhone X and later with Apple Watch Series 3 and later when you attempt to use Face ID while wearing a face mask
  • Support for AirTag to keep track of and find your important items like your keys, wallet, backpack and more, privately and securely in the Find My app
  • Precision Finding uses visual, audible, and haptic feedback to guide you directly to your nearby AirTag using Ultra Wideband provided by the U1 chip on iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 models
  • AirTag can be located by playing a sound via the built-in speaker
  • The Find My network with hundreds of millions of devices can help you find your AirTag, even when it isn't nearby
  • Lost Mode notifies you when your AirTag is found, and you can enter a phone number where you can be contacted
  • Support for separate skin tones for each individual in all variations of the couple kissing emoji and couple with heart emoji
  • New face emojis, heart emojis, woman with a beard emoji
  • Siri now includes more diverse voice options
  • Incoming calls can be announced with Siri, including who is calling, when you're wearing your AirPods or compatible Beats headphones, and you can answer hands-free
  • Group FaceTime calls are supported by asking Siri to FaceTime a list of contacts or a group name from Messages
  • Emergency contacts can be called by asking Siri
  • App Tracking Transparency lets you control which apps are allowed to track your activity across other companies' apps and websites for ads or sharing with data brokers
  • Share your favorite lyrics using Messages, Facebook, and Instagram Stories, and subscribers can play the snippet in Messages without leaving the conversation
  • City charts showcase what's popular in over 100 cities from all over the world
  • Podcasts Show Pages are redesigned to make it easier to start listening
  • Option to save and download episodes, automatically adding them to your Library for quick access
  • Download behavior and notification settings can be customized on a show-by-show basis
  • Top Charts and popular categories in Search help you discover new shows
  • Dual SIM support enables 5G connectivity on the line that's using cellular data on iPhone 12 models
  • Smart Data Mode improvements further optimize your experience on 5G networks for better battery life and data usage on iPhone 12 models
  • 5G international roaming enabled on supported carriers on iPhone 12 models
  • Redesigned News+ tab enables Apple News+ subscribers to quickly find, download, and manage magazine and newspaper issues
  • All-new Search experience that helps you find relevant topics, channels, and stories
  • Accidents, hazards, or speed checks along your route can be reported by telling Siri on your iPhone or on CarPlay
  • Estimated time of arrival (ETA) can be shared when cycling or walking, in addition to driving, by asking Siri or tapping on the route card at the bottom of the screen, then tapping Share ETA
  • Ability to sort reminders by Title, Priority, Due Date, or Creation date
  • Option to print your reminder lists
  • Translation playback speed can be adjusted by long pressing the play button
  • Xbox Series X|S Wireless Controller or Sony PS5 DualSense™ Wireless Controller support
  • Ability to stream audio and video content from Apple Fitness+ workouts to AirPlay 2-enabled TVs and devices
  • ETA in Apple Maps can be easily shared while driving with new Siri or keyboard controls in CarPlay

Honestly there are a bunch of QoL changes that I really like with this update, even without the major privacy stuff. This is waaay better than any of the updates I've gotten on my Samsung phone which I've been seriously thinking of switching from.

23 minutes ago, JLO64 said:

Summary

iOS/iPadOS 14.5 has just been released this Monday with its biggest feature called "App Tracking Transparency" which will allow users to block apps from tracking them across other apps and websites which will seriously affect the ability for ad companies like Facebook and Google to serve personalized ads to users. Users will be prompted whether or not they want to allow a specific app to track them when it attempts to do so.  In this same prompt developers are given a paragraph to explain why users should allow themselves to be tracked. Additional settings to block app tracking are also available within the settings app. Apple has reportedly held back this update in order to allow developers to prepare for it and because of the backlash they faced from several companies, most notably Facebook.

Last year Facebook took out a full page ad in the Wall Street Journal proclaiming that this feature would hurt small businesses more than anybody else.

Apple replied to this ad with this statement:

Other companies have publicly reacted to this feature (just not as loud as Facebook did) with Unity and Snapchat warning their respective investors that they will be impacted.

Finally, Apple has stated that they will punish developers who track users without permission.

My thoughts

It'll be interesting to see how Facebook and Google will react to these changes in the long run as this will impact core parts of their advertising business. While iPhone users don't have a market share as big as Android users, they are more likely on average to spend more than their counterparts. There will be a dent to both of these companies and they know it. What's most surprising to me is how little Google has been fighting this. My guess is that they won't be as affected by this as Facebook is since plenty of iPhone users use their services and apps (Google is the default search engine for Apple devices) and Apple can't block Google from tracking them there.

In any case once I finish posting this I'll be updating my iPad to it. I will be interested in seeing how the user experience is like for blocking app tracking.

Oh they also added the ability to unlock a Face ID equipped phone with a mask on if you have an Apple Watch, support for Apple's new Airtags, updated the podcasts app (I hate Spotify's podcast UI with a burning passion so yay), support for Xbox Series and PS5 controllers, and the ability to set Spotify as the default music player when using Siri.

Sources

https://www.inc.com/jason-aten/facebook-took-out-a-full-page-ad-slamming-apples-move-to-protect-user-privacy-it-didnt-go-well.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/26/apple-ios-14point5-iphone-update-is-out-now-heres-whats-new.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/04/snap-unity-warn-of-impact-from-apple-ios-14-idfa-privacy-changes.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/15/apples-seismic-change-to-the-mobile-ad-industry-draws-near.html

Mark won't be happy.

image.jpeg.69f19e5731f678169e39f77c09d50060.jpeg

Mark: Apple y U Do dis to me? v ver frens...

30 minutes ago, JLO64 said:

What's most surprising to me is how little Google has been fighting this. My guess is that they won't be as affected by this as Facebook is since plenty of iPhone users use their services and apps (Google is the default search engine for Apple devices) and Apple can't block Google from tracking them there.

Google already has a way around it and they even admitted as much. It's called FLoC Federated Learning of Cohorts. Basically it's an AI tracking system that just learns what you want to see before you tell it who you are. Basically Google laughed at Apple and said doesn't matter we have so much data already we know the user better than the user does. 

8 minutes ago, SlidewaysZ said:

Google already has a way around it and they even admitted as much. It's called FLoC Federated Learning of Cohorts. Basically it's an AI tracking system that just learns what you want to see before you tell it who you are. Basically Google laughed at Apple and said doesn't matter we have so much data already we know the user better than the user does. 

Google may as well put psychiatrists out of business then. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

11 minutes ago, SlidewaysZ said:

I remember reading about this (I was about to include it in my write up) but I was under the impression that it was theoretical and not production ready yet.  After a few quick searches it's progressed further along than I expected and Google does plan to retire cookies in Chrome (yay for FireFox?) in favor of this solution. In fact on its dev blog they flat out state:

However, many people are concerned about the privacy implications of tailored advertising, which currently relies on techniques such as tracking cookies and device fingerprinting which are used to track individual browsing behavior. The FLoC proposal aims to allow more effective ad selection without compromising privacy.

https://web.dev/floc/

15 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Mark won't be happy.

image.jpeg.69f19e5731f678169e39f77c09d50060.jpeg

Mark: Apple y U Do dis to me? v ver frens...

This pleases me greatly.😁

7 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Google may as well put psychiatrists out of business then. 

A psychiatrist can prescribe medication whereas Google can't.

I think you meant a psychologist? Regardless, that would require intelligence with cognitive self-awareness to harness the ability of introspection in order to be a viable therapist. AI isn't anywhere near that level of sophistication.

1 hour ago, JLO64 said:

I remember reading about this (I was about to include it in my write up) but I was under the impression that it was theoretical and not production ready yet.  After a few quick searches it's progressed further along than I expected and Google does plan to retire cookies in Chrome (yay for FireFox?) in favor of this solution. In fact on its dev blog they flat out state:

https://web.dev/floc/

See I feel like people get the wrong impression that this is somehow more privacy focused it's not it's even more scary than cookies and device fingerprinting. Like I said earlier it's Google laughing at Apple and their attempt at privacy. They are admitting they have so much data on you the users they can figure out exactly what you want to see. Just like when researchers proved by gathering enough anonymous data years ago you can figure out exactly who someone is. Keep in mind "anonymous data" was already broken in 2007 

https://www.wired.com/2007/12/why-anonymous-data-sometimes-isnt/

4 hours ago, JLO64 said:

My guess is that they won't be as affected by this as Facebook is since plenty of iPhone users use their services and apps (Google is the default search engine for Apple devices) and Apple can't block Google from tracking them there.

Actually, cross site tracking exists on iOS. Along with a decent content blocker and Google gets very little data from, of course besides what you search and any data that you willingly give them. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 hours ago, StDragon said:

A psychiatrist can prescribe medication whereas Google can't.

I think you meant a psychologist? Regardless, that would require intelligence with cognitive self-awareness to harness the ability of introspection in order to be a viable therapist. AI isn't anywhere near that level of sophistication.

My mistake there (again). I’m (sadly) on a roll with those lately. Glad I’m not popular on YouTube or anything like that. 😝

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

5 hours ago, JLO64 said:

good. glad apple is actually taking action.

5 hours ago, JLO64 said:

In the ad, Facebook says: "Many in the small business community have shared concerns about Apple's forced software update, which will limit businesses' ability to run personalized ads and reach their customers effectively."

This is BS IMO. if facebook really cared about small buissness, why are they only now defending something 'that helps them?' seems like marketing buzz IMO

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

5 hours ago, JLO64 said:

iOS/iPadOS 14.5 has just been released this Monday with its biggest feature called "App Tracking Transparency" which will allow users to block apps from tracking them across other apps and websites which will seriously affect the ability for ad companies like Facebook and Google to serve personalized ads to users.

this makes me very happy. id swap back to IOS when my oppo A52 ages more but i cant justify droping the cost of a new PC (something i need for my job) on a phone. Really hope apple continue into the lower cost sphere and actually challange some of the android big names.

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

The unlock-with-watch feature isn't working for me 😞, keeps saying "can't connect to watch" despite me being on the same wifi, and connected to the watch with bluetooth 😕 

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

1 hour ago, elfensky said:

The unlock-with-watch feature isn't working for me 😞, keeps saying "can't connect to watch" despite me being on the same wifi, and connected to the watch with bluetooth 😕 

Did you update the watch to watchOS 7.4?

13 hours ago, SlidewaysZ said:

I'm the last to laugh when I don't have anything Google on my iPhone. And I filter all my queries that go through phone. Google can stick their FLOC up theirs.

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I'm the last to laugh when I don't have anything Google on my iPhone. And I filter all my queries that go through phone. Google can stick their FLOC up theirs.

Well, if everyone was as smart as you, then Google would be flocced

3 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Well, if everyone was as smart as you, then Google would be flocced

Google won't be because people just want free shit and Google has tons of "free" shit.

FTR: I haven't updated iOS yet...I let others find the bugs for me 🙂 but i had a number of popups on my phone today about apps and tracking data permissions. Some seemed like the app itself asking, while one ("alexa has been using your location data for 3 days..do you want to let it, or only when you use it?") seemed to be the phone itself.

(That amazon has good knowledge of the location of my couch for 3 days, and then an hour at my local grocery doesn't concern me too much)

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

16 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

How does one go about filtering all queries?

That's an F in the profile pic

13 hours ago, mon1ka said:

this makes me very happy. id swap back to IOS when my oppo A52 ages more but i cant justify droping the cost of a new PC (something i need for my job) on a phone. Really hope apple continue into the lower cost sphere and actually challange some of the android big names.

Hopefully there's a new iPhone SE in 2022. As it stands, I'm happy that Apple has lowered the practical pricing of a flagship with the iPhone 12 instead of making you feel guilty for spending anything less than $999.

6 hours ago, Froody129 said:

How does one go about filtering all queries?

NextDNS magic baby. iOS even has native DNS support so you don't even have to run any app for it, you just load your profile with selected filters. And since all filtering is done on DNS level, your phone basically doesn't have to do much and has next to zero tax on battery.