Star Trek or Star Wars?

Lord Szechenyi
Go to solution Solved by Drama Lama,
3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

politics

Oh no, I'm not brave enough for politics. Blank Template ...

Star Trek or Star Wars  

75 members have voted

1. 1. (question above)

26 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I prefer Stargate SG1 🙃, it's closer to our current reality for me and easier to get in.

Like how aliens all know English ? 😛

I love how they went about it in the movie, but then completely dropped that for the TV show ! 😄

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I want a R rated version of Star Trek, think Deadpool but with Starships.  

Red Dwarf got kind of close.

Give the hero crew a starship with a massive phaser that ONLY fires when the captain crotch thrusts the viewscreen. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

love Red Dwarf when i was younger, was an excellent series, also loved firefly

Tried the Expanse, and it seems to be a nice series, but the main cast, the crew of the rosanante, they just seem weak, there is no character in any of them, the only one with a bit of acting chops there, got written off, because of a off screen issue with sexual harrasment.. and that is fair.

the fun thing is, of the full lenght movies of star trek with Patrick Steward, i think i like on of the most unpopular of them... i LOVE Insurrection, just from the calmeness the bit of detective work, and the protection of a species. 

6 minutes ago, RasmusDC said:

i think i like on of the most unpopular of them

that'd be Nemesis.

Insurrection is often seen as the 2nd best

I prefer Star Trek, but I must admit I didn't watch anything from Star Wars until a few years ago.

My favourite aspects of Star Trek are the more believable technologies along with a (mostly) consistent technobabble, including a few nice technologies like the "Heisenberg compensator". It just shows that the makers of the shows hired real scientists to make the show a bit more "realistic". I also like the fact that some stories in Star Trek tackle deep issues in a sophisticated way. On top of that, I really like most actors on the shows, my favourite ones being Sir Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner who both have done some excellent performances.

22 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Not really sure where to start with it all.

The Cage (TOS)

Where No Man Has Gone Before (TOS)

Balance of Terror (TOS)

Space Seed (TOS)

Errand of Mercy (TOS)

The Trouble with Tribbles (TOS)

The City on the Edge of Forever (TOS)

Let That Be Your Last Battlefield (TOS)

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

Star Trek IV: The One with the Whales

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

*Note on TNG: Although I like it quite a bit, I just straight up do not know most of this series. My general rule is if an episode has Q or the Borg in it, watch it, because that's really the stuff that gets carried over. You can pretty much skip most of the first and second seasons aside from the Q and Borg stuff, because the show was terrible until Riker grew a beard in season 3.

*Note on DS9: this is the finest example of Trek out there. I highly, highly recommend watching the entire series to appreciate the best writers, the best stories, the best characters, the best development and the best work Star Trek ever put out there. I'm not going to recommend episodes because there are lots of average ones but very few stinkers. If you don't want to sit through the whole show, most of seasons 1 and 2 can be skipped. During that stretch, it's basically the Major Kira show and, while Kira is a great character, entire seasons dedicated to Bajoran politics really wasn't my thing.

After DS9:

Star Trek: First Contact

*Note on Voyager: Fuck this show. It didn't happen. Watch the one where Janeway decides that coffee is more important than the Prime Directive and the crew lines up to take giant shits on Harry Kim. Oh wait, that's every episode. Seriously, fuck this show. Maybe watch a few Seven of Nine episodes because she's important in Picard. And because she's really hot.

*Note on Enterprise: There's really not a lot of point to this one. It's a largely forgettable show with minimal importance to anything else. It had some good episodes every now and then, and Captain Sam is lots of fun, but it lacked any real direction early, lacked any interesting plot after that, then went through a phase where it had mini-marathon arcs to explain everything from why Data's father's name was so similar to Khan Noonien Singh and why Klingons in TOS had smooth foreheads. Some of those exposition dump arcs in the third season weren't half bad, so if you want to watch anything from here, those would be my recommendation. Oh, and definitely watch the series finale. It's basically a lost episode of TNG, and a terrible one at that.

Star Trek: Nemesis (yes, it's terrible, but it actually manages to be relevant)

All of Lower Decks

Star Trek (2009)--I hate this movie, but lots of people love it so...

Star Trek Beyond--I love this movie, but lots of people hate it so...

Note the absence of Star Trek Into Darkness because fuck that movie everyone hates it

Discovery seasons 2 and 3 (you're not missing much with S1, although the Mirror Universe episodes are a lot of fun)

Picard season 1 (slooooooooooooooooooooooow but with a good payoff)

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I prefer Star Trek when I actually want something with more substance. DS9 and TNG hit in a way that Star Wars never did and probably will for me. 

Star Wars is fun, but after they de-canonized most of the expanded universe, they really killed the kid in me. The new trilogy being mega mediocre at best doesnt help.

I did enjoy Mando though.  

11 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Trekkies are nerdier than SW enthusiants bro. Some even speak Klingon. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Star Wars. I've very much enjoyed the few Star Trek episodes, both old and new, plus the movies, but I also never really got into them so I didn't continue past a casual viewing. Whereas I was raised on Star Wars, and used to be very deep into the lore (that later bled into Destiny and other sci-fi/fantasy universes). Funnily enough, I'll sit down and watch various YouTubers break down lore or technology from almost any sci-fi/fantasy stuff even if I never watched the shows or played the games. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

As opposed to the SW fans that can read Aurebesh and speak Huttese? 😋

43 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

39 minutes ago, Mutoh said:

that can read Aurebesh and speak Huttese

lmao i don't even know wtf is that

33 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

I'm wondering if the masters at Time / Warner remastered the episodes

what do you mean? of course they did, we got the remastered TOS in 2006

2 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

lmao i don't even know wtf is that

Aurebesh is the written language prevailent in most of the core worlds and outer rim. Huttese is Huttspeak but is what most people speak when underworld dealing (like spice etc...) so smugglers and people in that world are quite proficient at it. 

Basic is what "English" is in the SW universe.

Okay Ill see myself out now LOL

53 minutes ago, Mutoh said:

Aurebesh is the written language prevailent in most of the core worlds and outer rim. Huttese is Huttspeak but is what most people speak when underworld dealing (like spice etc...) so smugglers and people in that world are quite proficient at it. 

Basic is what "English" is in the SW universe.

Okay Ill see myself out now LOL

Basic? basic what? like microsoft basic?

Anyway, aurebesh is matrix text and huttspeak is greedo and jabbah, got it.

What about wookies?

You forgot one 

Stargate.

Soooo... Yes, to all 3 for me. 👍

Spoiler

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

You forgot one 

Stargate.

Soooo... Yes, to all 3 for me. 👍

Reveal hidden contents

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

i didn't forget Stargate, it's just not as popular as Star Wars or Star Trek.

it needs to fight in an other league.

I like both,

I prefer Star Wars though,

I'm the few that enjoyed the new movies lol

I grew up reading the Star Wars Graphic Novels(I have most of the Dark Horse ones) 

When Disney took over and made most of them non canon I was gutted BUT there was some trash in the expanded universe.

I did growup with SG1 and also love that oh and Babylon 5

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

On 4/27/2021 at 8:50 AM, shaz2sxy said:

I did growup with SG1 and also love that oh and Babylon 5

Babylon 5 the original DS9. 👍

Gonna add this to my Vudu account soon as I can.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Wars is the best of the 2.
But stargate sg1 is the super choice over all (series) except for next gen and Voyager.

So its:

Wars

Next gen 

Voyager

Sg1

The rest of trek

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Personally, I dig both but haven't really watched either in recent years.

But if I could only have one it would be Star Trek. I prefer the episodic nature of the series and having a new story every episode. But is comparing a movie series to a television series even fair in the first place? Idk. Maybe, maybe not. I know what I like though.

15 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

But is comparing a movie series to a television series even fair in the first place?

All Good Things is technically 2 episodes, but i can tell you that it's lengthy enough to be considered as a movie, and it beats ANY of the star trek movies

I grew up in a Star Trek house, but I like both. 

Star Wars is fun in a "Cowboy's in space" kind of way. Solo and Rogue One were surprisingly good IMO, Mandalorian was great. Really liked the last of the Saga movies, I think Star Wars is headed to exciting places and what Disney's been doing with the franchise is really great, actually!

Episode's 1-3 when George Lucas was still involved, were genuinely some of the worst movies I've ever seen. 

Speaking of some of the worst movies I've ever seen, it's a damn miracle 14 movies were spun off of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Unequivocally the worst movie I've seen. 

ST DS9 when Sisko gets a beard, is the pinnacle of Star Trek IMO.

ST Voyager I thought was good, if not a little repetitive 

ST TNG is classic

ST TOS is a little too old and campy for me

ST Enterprise I could never get into

ST 6 The Undiscovered Country is my favorite out of all the Star Trek Movies

First Contact made no sense why the Borg Queen was such a Ho for Data.. That was actually kind of gross IMO

ST Disco got great when Pike showed up, mixed feelings about the spore drive. I'm pretty excited about the pike spin off

ST Picard is fine.. kind of lost interest, I think the sexy Romulan angle is kinda weird, and the thing where the guy got his eye popped out was really graphic for ST

Kelvin timeline? Couldn't give half a fuck if you put a gun to my head. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

On 4/25/2021 at 11:05 PM, IkeaGnome said:

Not really sure where to start with it all.

Should start with episode 1 of the original , the original series is by far the best, imo, it has also aged much better , and if the first couple of episodes don't do it for you its probably not your thing.

There are some fillers for sure but they all help to make the whole Star Trek universe more logical and lively for sure , it's overall rather comedic, sometimes on purpose , sometimes not, but its generally just pretty self aware with some of the best acting ever, whereas TNG etc is basically just Picard ,and maybe Data who are really good actors (of the main cast)

Just imo of course, but i just love the original series, its so over the top 60s(70s?) 🙂

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity