Star Trek or Star Wars?

Lord Szechenyi
Go to solution Solved by Drama Lama,
3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

politics

Oh no, I'm not brave enough for politics. Blank Template ...

Star Trek or Star Wars  

75 members have voted

1. 1. (question above)

1 hour ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

wow, that is SO unrelated to Star Trek/Orville i wonder how you confused it

i have no idea. my brain just went *poof*

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

To borrow from the commercial: ¿Por que no los dos?

Star Trek is good as social commentary; Star Wars is classic Errol Flynn-style swashbuckling with a trace of Greek epic about it (the whole Anakin-Luke thing). I don't have to consider one of them lesser to enjoy the other.

As a kid I watched Star Trek because that was all that was on the TV, (we only had 3 TV channels in the 1970's for you youngsters). I was always bothered by the fact that every alien that they encountered was bipedal and mostly human looking. Even as a child, I found this to be unbelievable and lacking imagination. All of the aliens were red, green or blue! WTF? Some had an antenna, but otherwise human. When I went to see the original Star Wars in the theater and saw the cantina scene, with different non=human bodies, I was hooked. 

Although this brings up a question that I asked as a kid, what type of sun would produce the red, green and blue skin tones found in Star Trek?

There's enough room in my life for both, and they're not really comparable with one another.

At its best, Star Trek is hard science fiction series sprinkled with social commentary that contains incredibly well written and likeable characters. At its worst, it's dumb monster of the week plots that can be pretty bad. Generally, the good episodes make up for the stinkers. The secondary and supporting characters are amazing. I learned a lot about life from Star Trek, and I can pretty much find a quote from someone in Star Trek that can almost 100% fit a circumstance in a discussion. The expanded universe really kind of sucks. Star Trek is mostly past it's prime, without having anything actually good since the ending of DS9.

Star Wars was originally a Lord of the Rings fantasy that revolves around space wizards. The actual primary media of Star Wars stopped being good after 1983, but the expanded universe of Star Wars is simply amazing. The video games, animated TV series, and novels are a million times better than the same from Star Trek. They propel it further than just a fantasy series, and the fan base and expanded universe really takes off with the harder science fiction aspect of the IP. I love space battles. Interestingly enough for me, the best parts of Star Wars are about the characters that aren't space wizards.

IMO, watch Star Trek, play Star Wars.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I really like both, I have watched most of Star Trek (no ST discovery or Picard) but I am much more invested in Star Wars, there are some amazing games and novels. Really liked the Mandolorian, I watched the first episode of Bad batch and enjoyed it. The sequel trilogy was “entertaining” to watch but I hate it for what it does to the canon.

but I agree with the sentiment of “Why can’t we have both?”

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

On 4/26/2021 at 11:42 AM, airborne spoon said:

its hard to make a TV show like that and the mando was crap since the episodes were only 15 min so it falls into the comedy slot of showtimes.

What do you mean the mandolorian was 15 mins? They were ~40 minutes. Or am I missing something?

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

On 4/30/2021 at 2:46 PM, Action_Johnson said:

Episode's 1-3 when George Lucas was still involved, were genuinely some of the worst movies I've ever seen. 

Curious, what’s you opinion on the Sequel trilogy?

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

9 hours ago, Tog Driver said:

Curious, what’s you opinion on the Sequel trilogy?

I think what Disney is doing with it is gold. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

21 hours ago, zogthegreat said:

I think that this clip describes my position!

(mumble grumble), bleeping TrekKie Bitches!

what movie is this

21 hours ago, Commodus said:

To borrow from the commercial: ¿Por que no los dos?

what commercial?

20 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

watch Star Trek, play Star Wars.

100% agree, if only star trek had a game like KOTOR

7 hours ago, Action_Johnson said:

I think what Disney is doing with it is gold. 

Gold humor that is, funniest shit i've ever seen.

I wonder which one is better, The Room or the Sequel Trilogy

Babylon 5

Spoiler

/s my parents loved that show, never seen it myself.

On 5/4/2021 at 10:02 PM, divito said:

Voyager above DS9 and TNG?? 

I'm probably a minority, but I could never really get into Voyager compared to TNG and even DS9.

It's a difficult choice IMO, Voyager was a great show but so was DS9, but both rank above TNG, IMHO (even though I'm a hardcore fan of TNG and started a 3rd rewatch of the whole series with my 9yo daughter ! 😄 )

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

It's a difficult choice IMO, Voyager was a great show but so was DS9, but both rank above TNG, IMHO (even though I'm a hardcore fan of TNG and started a 3rd rewatch of the whole series with my 9yo daughter ! 😄 )

It felt like DS9 and Voyager had a lot in common at the time... including commanders who, when they got mad, sounded like they were about 30 seconds away from breaking your kneecaps.

6 minutes ago, Commodus said:

It felt like DS9 and Voyager had a lot in common at the time... including commanders who, when they got mad, sounded like they were about 30 seconds away from breaking your kneecaps.

😄 so true !

BTW, here's a great summary of TNG ;

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

7 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

started a 3rd rewatch of the whole series with my 9yo daughter

no offense but i think that's too young for TNG

Can I be that guy and say "The Expanse"?

I'd 100% choose ST over SW though, Star Wars was never that good, the first 3 films are average at best, I've never actually finished any of the prequel trilogy and the latest trilogy is Disney at its best, they're gonna be still flogging that horse after its bones have turned to dust (though honestly, I don't think Rogue One and Solo were that bad).

TNG is my fave, Voyager comes second and honestly, I don't really like DS9. ToS is just silly and I've never seen Enterprise or that recent one (that wasn't Picard). Picard looks like it could be OK but IMO its still not really ST, the format is all wrong.

The problem with ST now is Alex Kurtzman. Its like he's trying to copy all the other popular sci fi shows instead of making actual star trek.

I'm in the minority who actually quite enjoyed the recent movie reboot trilogy though they did get progressively worse through the 3.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Can I be that guy and say "The Expanse"?

No

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm in the minority who actually quite enjoyed the recent movie reboot trilogy

That's not a minority. that's a majority

7 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

That's not a minority. that's a majority

Really? I thought they garnered a fair bit of hate, especially from the die hard trekkies.

Also it wouldn't be fair to have a discussion about modern Star Trek without asking what everyone thinks of The Orville?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Really? I thought they garnered a fair bit of hate, especially from the die hard trekkies.

the exception is Into Darkness, but both Reboot and Beyond are generally seen as "good".

which i find ironic because i hate all 3 of them but my least painful to watch is Into Darkness

Also it wouldn't be fair to have a discussion about modern Star Trek without asking what everyone thinks of The Orville?

It's good, waiting for season 3 (which seems to be the last one since Macfarlane had enough)

On 5/6/2021 at 5:55 AM, Lord Szechenyi said:

have to disagree here, only season 1 is terrible (and even then has some good episodes).

Season 2, with the exception of Shades of Grey, is quite solid.

Pulaski still beats Crusher anyday

You are dead to me...LOL. Dr. Crusher >> Pulaski.

It's been a minute since I've watched TNG...Perhaps season 2 wasn't as bad as I remembered. Right now, I'm rewatching Voyager. IMO, TNG really found its way around season 3.

This blows peoples tits when I say this: I have never seen a Star War. Never. At all. Not a single one. Have I seen tidbits from memes? Well obviously yes. I know I'd love it if I watched it, but I pride myself in never having seen it. So I will live my whole life never having watched it purely out of spite (because people hype it too much).