Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Can you make a useful and cheap hardware video for old people like hearing aid for people who had hearing problem and smart watch for people who need to check their diabetes or blood pressure on every day.

On 2/25/2021 at 4:14 PM, DBrower said:

I stumbled on this company called "framework" today. Their goal is to make repairable, upgradeable, and customizable laptops. https://frame.work/

I'd love to see a review of these when they're available in the summer. 

I'll second that.  It's like the Delorean, the car your could own for life, only a laptop. I wonder if the government will try to set the ceo up and have him sent to jail or breaking the corporate code of making cheap stuff to maximize profits.

Looks cool indeed, but...

Along with socketed storage, WiFi, and two slots of memory, the entire mainboard can be swapped to boost performance as we launch updated versions with new CPU generations.

Everyone in the past who's promised that in the past never followed up, so I wouldn't count on it. Spare parts might last a while, but upgrades... the company's usually gone the way of the dodo before that can happen, or they realize they would if they tried.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 2/25/2021 at 1:42 PM, Beardie said:

Hey Guys,

I work for a company in Scotland where we 3D print a lot of materials. This includes copper. I wondered if you have ever designed your own heatsinc from the ground up (even water cooled) and tested if you can achieve better results having a custom designed sinc that is 3D printed over traditional over the counter units?

Keep it up!

5e440bcda951df113d8bd34c_copper-heatsink-1.jpg

They did try to make their own heat sink by sawing a chunk of metal with a Sawzall. LOLOL

Can you all please review some 3D printers? My fiance is wants to buy one to make her own custom ink stamps for her crafting hobby. I see you have reviewed a few in the past but nothing lately.

Give me one for free, and ill sure review it. 😄

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

I posted a question somewere else on the forum. It could be an interisting video tho. 

Ill just copy the link from the other thread to here, hope thats ok 😄 

i have an idea or video suggestion!! how about a vid about whether a full mono block on a motherboard is better or worse temps than having just a cpu block,seems like monoblocks that cool VRM and even Chipset would not be too good as a cpu cooler specially if overclocking.

a friend of mine is planning on buying a BIG PC
i am talking like Threadripper, 3090, RGB, Hardlined Watercooling.
a budget of arround 7 to 10K ₤
we were interested if you would want to make that Build. and make a video from it
love to hear your response

Can you change a CPU cooler while the PC is running?

1. Test to see if its possible to change a CPU cooler while the PC is still running without it crashing.
  2. See if any CPU cooler can be hot-swapped live!

1 hour ago, TomLewis said:

Can you change a CPU cooler while the PC is running?

1. Test to see if its possible to change a CPU cooler while the PC is still running without it crashing.
  2. See if any CPU cooler can be hot-swapped live!

That would be fun as a competition between Linus and several staff members.

On 3/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Video idea: just how BIG can radiators and their cooling fans go, and is big better?

With the insane amount of heat being thrown out by modern CPUs like AMD 64 core threadripper, and potentially a couple of overclocked RTX3090s in a single water cooling loop, how about a video looking at the best way to water cool these, testing 3 factors:

1. Cost for initial purchase of the cooling equipment - if you look at the volume of cooling provided for your buck, wouldn't fewer "big" units (like three 200mm fans on a 600mm radiator) be cheaper than lots of "smaller" units (like five 120mm fans on a 600mm radiator)?

2. Electricity consumption per hour to run - as radiators can provide passive cooling, and bigger fans can run slower, is bigger cheaper to run? 

3. Noise - as bigger fans can run much more slowly, and bigger radiators should provide more passive cooling even when fans aren't running, would bigger also mean quieter? 

What would make it doubly interesting is if you tested in this mix not only 120mm and 140mm based radiator setups, but also 200mm fan based radiators - so radiators which are 200mm wide with lengths of 200mm, 400mm, or 600mm. Which would be connected to 1, 2 or 3 200mm fans. As radiators provide passive constant cooling, even when the fans aren't running, and because bigger fans can run at much lower speeds, is it not the case that bigger is better? There are many even medium size cases which come with two 200mm fans on front or top. 

Raijitek said they were going to make these larger radiators back in 2019, especially as they would pair so well with their Eris Evo case, which could fit at least two 600mm radiators in. You can hear their rep "promise" these 600mm radiators (to be cooled by 3 x 200mm fans) will be available "soon" in this video at 7mins 35sec in - that was in June 2019 but if they make them, but I can't find them on their website: 

This chap also reports that Raijitek had 200mm by 200mm Radiator, 200mm by 400mm Radiator, and a 200mm by 600mm Radiators, cooled by 1, 2, or 3 X 200mm fans. https://www.hwhound.com/cooling/raijintek-king-of-liquid-cooling-200mm-rad/#more-3301 

And if the answer is "YES, bigger is better!", then shouldn't more case manufacturers be looking to make their cases fit these bigger 200mm based combos fit? Is it unreasonable to ask that even mid tower cases should be able to at least fit a couple of 200mm by 400mm radiators based on 200mm fans (one in the top and one on the side or front)? Why are we being restricted to less efficient 120 or 140mm based fans? 

Hope you like the idea and make the show - I am certain it would be a big hit with "gaming enthusiasts". 

Cheers, 

Tim Longson 

Edited by TimLongson
Found more evidence that these 200mm fan based radiators exist.

On 3/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

I’m a M1 MacBook Pro 13” (16gb RAM, 256gb SSD) owner. This morning my Mac stopped working when I disconnected it from my USB-C dock. It just went black and when I tried turning it back on, it made a ticking noise. A quick google search and you find people with the same exact ticking noise and problem. Apparently disconnecting de USB-C dock from the Mac causes a short-circuit and the logic board, Touch ID and screen get basically fried. I called Apple support and explained to them that I’m not the only one having this problem but they were not aware of this issue. Hope you tackle this issue in a video. 

You once did a video about replacing the cooling fans on a GPU.  This was several generations of GPU before the 10 series.  It might be a good idea to do that with how to replace the fans on the 10 and 20 series cards.  Since the 10 series cards are coming up on their designed for life time and will start to fail more often with replacements unavailable and unobtainable. 

Please consider a video on 8k TVs as monitors.  In 2021 we're almost in the same place for 8k as we were in 2014 for 4k.  What I mean by that is that there are monitors and TV screens that support 8k, but actually getting an 8k desktop working with full color fidelity (4:4:4) requires just the right bits on both the graphics card and the screen (e.g. hdmi 2.1 with DSC).  You can buy an 8k 55 inch TV to use for the same price or less than a professional 4k monitor... But will it work?

13 minutes ago, dmayle said:

Please consider a video on 8k TVs as monitors.  In 2021 we're almost in the same place for 8k as we were in 2014 for 4k.  What I mean by that is that there are monitors and TV screens that support 8k, but actually getting an 8k desktop working with full color fidelity (4:4:4) requires just the right bits on both the graphics card and the screen (e.g. hdmi 2.1 with DSC).  You can buy an 8k 55 inch TV to use for the same price or less than a professional 4k monitor... But will it work?

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Linus Tech Tips

Hey Linus,

I saw you video regarding Opera Gx Browser and how we really can't be sure about our privacy while using it. 

Today I woke up to my opera Gx browser's history containing a lot of weird and suspicious website accesses at night while my computer was hibernated. 

I wasn't sure of what to do, so instead I took the snippets of the whole history and decided to post them here. 

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

3 hours ago, Mayank Ahuja said:

Hey Linus,

I saw you video regarding Opera Gx Browser and how we really can't be sure about our privacy while using it. 

Today I woke up to my opera Gx browser's history containing a lot of weird and suspicious website accesses at night while my computer was hibernated. 

I wasn't sure of what to do, so instead I took the snippets of the whole history and decided to post them here. 

Spoiler

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

please use spoiler, and could be a lot of other reasons. Until there is more about opera, this can't really be used as an example and if it is about opera at all.

I've got an awful idea, custom water-cool a phone system (particularly the Nortel BCM50) they have an AWFUL sounding fan, and they run pretty warm. I mean, it can't be too different from a PC, it runs LINUX!

Heck I've got one that I'd be willing to sacrifice for a video 🙂

It would be cool to see a Pc Case made out of CPUs, MOBOs, GPUs, or some other Pc component.

Review for these cheaper gaming bed setups:

https://www.amazon.com/AW-4-Wheel-Rolling-Computer-Workstation/dp/B0109Y3CCE

https://www.amazon.com/AW-Rolling-25x22x69-Computer-Workstation/dp/B017VMYMY4

I own the one in the picture and the aliexpress one if you need more info. I'm bedridden and hoping more people like me can find these

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000685061660.html

battlestation.thumb.jpg.de8830e40fa3f27ce69d389e6cf996b9.jpg