Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

This is sort of a continuation of my previous post here, a PC powered by shockwaves from repeated explosions.

An explosion could be set off, the shockwave from that explosion would then hit a drum, which would vibrate back and forth against a mechanism that would begin to spin an electromagnet, then powering the PC from the magnet.

I'm not an explosive engineer and I have no idea what type of explosives are legal for consumers in Canada. I also am not sure how far from the explosion the drum would need to be in order to effectively be hit by the shockwave without destroying the other components. I'm also not sure how many restrictions would need to be placed on the electromagnet to prevent an overload or too high a variation in power.

All I know is that this would be stupidly awesome.

IMG_20200302_092945-01.jpeg

This is going to sound very selfish but I have been looking everywhere trying to find an answer with no luck.

From a video ltt did a few years ago I upgraded my asus g20cb with an m.2

By all means it's still a good system but it's time to upgrade.

A video showing if this old computer can be upgraded to an i9 9900, rtx 2080 and 64gb of 2666mhz ram would be amazing. 

I know it's the right socket but am worried about bios and heat issues.

Make a PC Case completely out of Case fans. Do the complete opposite to what Case manufacturers are doing right now with blocking most of the air flow by tempered glass on the front and top in favour of looks. Build a "spine" out of steel pipes to hold all of the components and fans in place. @AlexTheGreatish @LinusTech 

Part of this idea is courtesy of @Gegger

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

1 hour ago, Pascal... said:

Make a PC Case completely out of Case fans. Do the complete opposite to what Case manufacturers are doing right now with blocking most of the air flow by tempered glass on the front and top in favour of looks. Build a "spine" out of steel pipes to hold all of the components and fans in place. @AlexTheGreatish @LinusTech 

Better yet, a PC made entirely out of functional RAM.

1 hour ago, Pascal... said:

Basically already did it

4 hours ago, FakeCIA said:

This is sort of a continuation of my previous post here, a PC powered by shockwaves from repeated explosions.

An explosion could be set off, the shockwave from that explosion would then hit a drum, which would vibrate back and forth against a mechanism that would begin to spin an electromagnet, then powering the PC from the magnet.

I'm not an explosive engineer and I have no idea what type of explosives are legal for consumers in Canada. I also am not sure how far from the explosion the drum would need to be in order to effectively be hit by the shockwave without destroying the other components.

Far enough that there won't be any meaningful energy to harvest.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

You coud do like a nvidia vs amd graphicscards and also cover the last 10 to 15 years so we see the head to head competition.

sorry for the bad englisch , im from germany?

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

I saw your UPS fried and there was mention of a major issue to replace...

I think you should build a glass enclosed white room data centre set for server/networking/storage videos, with a rack or two with your production/office gear.... but make it a set/background and not just a tiny closet

Edited by ToboRobot

4 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

but make it a set/background and not just a tiny closet

When you see a set with server hardware for the looks it's dummy stuff and not actually in production... Running servers are so loud you can't record sound anywhere near, or even do any kind of work since it's so obnoxious.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

5 hours ago, Kilrah said:

When you see a set with server hardware for the looks it's dummy stuff and not actually in production... Running servers are so loud you can't record sound anywhere near, or even do any kind of work since it's so obnoxious.

Sorry there was a typo that made it unclear.  Enclose the “data centre” racks in a small room enclosed in clear glass for a view that confines the sound and heat.  

Just watched a YT video on the Tech Ingredients channel about custom made thermal paste. Would love to see a collaboration or recreation by the LTT staff to test/verify their results. Obviously not practical for most PCs, but then again either is the concrete cooling experiment I saw on LTT! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MOTMq9g8Nk

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J6A6H74/ref=ods_gw_evg_gwd_h4_smp_fr?pf_rd_p=dea21a15-7b90-4d78-8827-93da7a931ae8&pf_rd_r=JRYSHKC7TMMFKS8RTP34&th=1

Amazon has this new "DVR box for cord cutters" but man does it have some issues. Max resolution output is 720p. Some users report resolution can dip down as low as 360p when there's a lot of action on screen. It doesn't look like you can get big name channels on it either, rather it relies on an antenna for reception - the same kind one would use that only gets locally aired channels.

This thing, to me, seems like scam and half. All it seems to allow one to do is record whatever over the air local channels you can receive in your area.

But that's all I gather from reading the product page and a few questions and reviews. I'd love to see LTT play with this thing and try and find any value in it. I mean, if I wanted to record TV shows from either the cable box or the antenna, there's plenty of easy ways to do so on just about any computer these days.

15 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J6A6H74/ref=ods_gw_evg_gwd_h4_smp_fr?pf_rd_p=dea21a15-7b90-4d78-8827-93da7a931ae8&pf_rd_r=JRYSHKC7TMMFKS8RTP34&th=1

Amazon has this new "DVR box for cord cutters" but man does it have some issues. Max resolution output is 720p. Some users report resolution can dip down as low as 360p when there's a lot of action on screen. It doesn't look like you can get big name channels on it either, rather it relies on an antenna for reception - the same kind one would use that only gets locally aired channels.

This thing, to me, seems like scam and half. All it seems to allow one to do is record whatever over the air local channels you can receive in your area.

It's not a scam if it lists everything right there in the product description

•  

• Fire TV Recast is a DVR that lets you watch and record over-the-air TV at home with Fire TV or Echo Show, or on-the-go with a compatible mobile device—with no monthly fees.
  • Enjoy live sports, local news, late night shows, and other can’t miss TV from channels available through an HD antenna (sold separately).
  • Record up to 2 shows at once. Plus, store up to 75 hours of HD programming.
  • With a compatible Alexa-enabled device, use your voice to search for shows, control the channel guide, and manage recordings.
  • The most reliable video streams over Wi-Fi of any over-the-air DVR.

What output resolution does Fire TV Recast support?

Fire TV Recast is capable of receiving all ATSC broadcast resolutions, including 1080i and 720p. When streaming to other devices, Fire TV Recast transcodes 1080i streams to a resolution up to 1440x720p using H.264 to ensure that all Fire TV streaming media players work with Fire TV Recast, and to deliver more reliable video streams over Wi-Fi.

You're free to buy a refurbished laptop for 100-150$ and a usb tuner and watch and record tv and basically do what that box does.

here's some tuners (random search results with good rating)

Amazon.com: HAUPPAUGE WinTV-DualHD Dual USB 2.0 HD TV Tuner for Windows PC 1595,Black: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner for Xbox One TV Tuners and Video Capture 1578: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: AVerMedia AVerTV Volar Hybrid Q, USB TV Tuner, ATSC, Clear QAM HDTV & FM Radio, Supports Windows & Android TV 7.0 or above (H837): Computers & Accessories

Software to stream to devices is free, just have to search for it.

26 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It's not a scam if it lists everything right there in the product description

I'm calling it a scam because it's 20damn20 we have 8K TV's and gaming computers that can spit out 144hz at 1440p resolutions all while doing encoding or streaming. I don't think this product should have such limitations in this day and age, thus shouldn't be sold.

Try and cool a PC using thermal mass alone. In the UK, a 350 litre water butt is the same price as a triple radiator. It would be pretty neat (but completely impractical) to see if plumbing the waterblocks directly to a couple of waterbutts and 700litres of water is actually worthwhile at providing better temps. You could even put the pumps in the waterbutts and the waterbutts outside to get rid of the noise completely. Might need a bit of antifreeze though in Canada.

It's been like 5 years since the last RAM Disk video, revisiting that with new gen tech would be interesting. 

Take it to the next step and have a server host off of RAM and have people running off of RAM connect to it for multiplayer.

32 minutes ago, Jetfighter808 said:

Try and cool a PC using thermal mass alone. In the UK, a 350 litre water butt is the same price as a triple radiator. It would be pretty neat (but completely impractical) to see if plumbing the waterblocks directly to a couple of waterbutts and 700litres of water is actually worthwhile at providing better temps. You could even put the pumps in the waterbutts and the waterbutts outside to get rid of the noise completely. Might need a bit of antifreeze though in Canada.

What is a waterbutt?

3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

All it seems to allow one to do is record whatever over the air local channels you can receive in your area.

It's not advertised to be doing anything else than that. Allows recording OTA TV and streaming it to your devices.

2 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

I'm calling it a scam because it's 20damn20 we have 8K TV's and gaming computers that can spit out 144hz at 1440p resolutions all while doing encoding or streaming. I don't think this product should have such limitations in this day and age, thus shouldn't be sold.

It takes OTA TV, which is either 720p already or 1080i which isn't much better. No point doing more.

F@H

GPD Win 2

I was looking around on alibaba and I found this weird motherboard with a gtx 950ti. First of all gtx 950ti? and it is soldered on a motherboard. It is very interesting and I think linus should make a video about it.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/NVD-GTX-950-ti-LGA-1150_60672113580.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.194927cfO91cUO

HTB1byZ3RVXXXXX1apXXq6xXFXXXJ.jpg

23 minutes ago, GOBBLE.GOBBLE said:

I was looking around on alibaba and I found this weird motherboard with a gtx 950ti. First of all gtx 950ti? and it is soldered on a motherboard. It is very interesting and I think linus should make a video about it.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/NVD-GTX-950-ti-LGA-1150_60672113580.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.194927cfO91cUO

It's socket 1150 mb... cpus for that socket suck. ddr3 only... bonus for 19v dc in but otherwise meh. expensive...

Something like this would be much more interesting to review:

https://www.asrockind.com/overview.us.asp?Model=IMB-V1000

IMB-V1000(L3).thumb.jpg.0ac71af4b64e807f3f818a590ca66df0.jpg

- AMD Ryzen™ Embedded V-Series
-IMB-V1000P(V1807B, QC, 3.35GHz, 35-54W)
-IMB-V1000M(V1605B, QC, 2GHz, 12-25W)
-IMB-V1000V(V1202B, DC, 2.3GHz, 12-25W)

• PCIe
    - 1 xPCIe x8
  • Mini-PCIe
    - 1 x Full/Half mini-PCIe with PCIe x1 and USB 2.0
  • M.2
    - 1x M.2 (Key E, 2230) with PCIe x1 and USB2.0 for Wireless
    - 1x M.2 (Key M, 2242/2260/2280) with PCIe x2 and SATA for SSD
Memory
  • Technology
    - Dual Channel DDR4 3200MHz
  • Max.
    - 32GB
  • Socket
    - 2 x SO-DIMM
Graphics
  • VGA
    - Supports max resolution up to 1920x1200
  • DVI
    - N/A
  • LVDS
    - Dual Channel 24-bit, max resolution up to 1920x1200@60Hz
  • HDMI
    - N/A
  • DisplayPort
    - Max resolution up to 3840x2160@60Hz
  • MultiDisplay
    - Quad Display
  • eDP
    - Max resolution up to 3840x2160@60Hz
Ethernet
  • Ethernet
    - 10/100/1000 Mbps
  • Controller
    - 2 x Realtek RTL8111G
Storage
  • SATA
    - 2 x SATA3 (6.0Gb/s) Red header shared with M.2 Key M SATA signal.
Rear I/O
  • DisplayPort
    - 4 x DP 1.3 ( Support DP++)
  • Ethernet
  • USB
    - 2 x USB3.1 ( Gen 2), 2 x USB2.0
  • Audio
    - 2 (Mic-in. Line-out)
  • Serial
    - 2 x COM (RS-232/422/485)
Internal Connector
  • USB
    - 4 x USB2.0, 1 x USB 2.0(Type A)
  • LVDS / inverter
    - 1 (Shared with DP)
  • eDP
    - 1 (Shared with DP)
  • VGA
    - 1 (Shared with DP)
  • Serial
    - 4 x COM (RS-232, COM6 shared with ccTalk)
  • SATA
    - 2 x SATA3 (6.0Gb/s) Red header shared with M.2 Key M SATA signal.
  • GPIO
    - 8 x GPI, 8 x GPO (Shared with LPT)
  • SATA PWR Output
Power Requirements
  • Input PWR
    - 12V/19V~28V DC-in (DC Jack/ 4-pin ATX PWR Con.)
  • Power On
    - AT/ATX Supported
    - AT : Directly PWR on as power input ready
    - ATX : Press button to PWR on after power input ready

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

It takes OTA TV, which is either 720p already or 1080i which isn't much better. No point doing more.

OTA TV in my area is 1080p, some channels might even be higher than that (but I wouldn't know, I only have a 1080p TV). This device seems pointless, or at least very niche.

I'm astounded you guys haven't done a video on bass shakers, or the more subtle "stealth subwoofer for people with roommates/families" Subpac S2.

A lot of gamers would be seriously interested in this stuff if they only knew about it.

Are "gaming" motherboards actually performing better for gamers over their more (budget-friendly) basic boards? If so, by how much and is that worth the extra money?

Case in point: my 'local' supplier (Alternate) offers the MSI X570-A Pro for 160 of our banknotes, the Gaming Plus version of the same chipset and socket is a tenner dearer while the Gaming Edge WiFi (again, same chipset & socket) is 200. Having said that, the MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE (also AM4) requires handing over 690 to the seller. Yes, I'm aware of the various levels of peripherals supplied in various price ranges, but are the boards actually value for money at all.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

15 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Are "gaming" motherboards actually performing better for gamers over their more (budget-friendly) basic boards? If so, by how much and is that worth the extra money?

Case in point: my 'local' supplier (Alternate) offers the MSI X570-A Pro for 160 of our banknotes, the Gaming Plus version of the same chipset and socket is a tenner dearer while the Gaming Edge WiFi (again, same chipset & socket) is 200. Having said that, the MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE (also AM4) requires handing over 690 to the seller. Yes, I'm aware of the various levels of peripherals supplied in various price ranges, but are the boards actually value for money at all.

The differences are in the features they offer (how many usb connectors on the io shield and how many types of usb), spacing between pci-e x16 slots, number of m.2 connectors and so on.

There's also savings in the VRM, the dc-dc converter used to power the processor, and the heatsink used to cool this circuit.

A cheaper VRM can result in a reduced ability for the processor to automatically overclock itself if its temperature is low enough and in rare cases it can even mean that after some time (like let's say 1-2 hours of heavy use), the processor may have to reduce its frequencies by a tiny amount in order to consume less power and give the motherboard a bit of help in staying cool.

Higher end motherboards may also allow you to reach higher frequencies with ram sticks ... cheaper ones may only do up to 3800-4000 Mhz, higher end ones may do 4500-5000 Mhz, if someone really wants to. High end boards may also have more complex bioses with more options for overclocking when you use extreme cooling methods like ice and liquid nitrogen.

Adding gaming to mb could be in some cases a way to differentiate the board from others. For example one tagged with WS may mean the manufacturer thinks of this board as "Workstation" ... as in maybe it has 10gbps network card and/or ECC support for memory and costs more for this reason, and this fancy network card wouldn't do anything for gaming.

anyway, in general "gaming" tag is just marketing, a board is not better just because it says gaming on it.

How about seeing if you can get video going about some cool stuff Pure is doing in the flash storage space:
https://www.purestorage.com/

They make super high speed flash storage and super fast, high capacity SSD storage solutions. 

There //X90 NVME storage array have the following specs:

Up to 3.3PB / 3003.1TiB effective capacity**

Up to 878TB / 768.3TiB raw capacity†

3U – 6U; 1160 – 1446 Watts (nominal – peak)

97 lbs (44 kg) fully loaded; 5.12” x 18.94” x 29.72”

As far as i know they do super custom stuff to make their storage super fast and high capacity. 

Or maybe even seeing if you can talk about stuff like NVMe-oF (NVMe over fiber). 

Could be a cool episode for holy $hit. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD