Search from Brave?! Updated: Now in beta!

Summary

Just as google announces new privacy measures, Brave the new kid on the block, is rolling out its own search engine. Supposedly, the engine will focus on Privacy. Brave announced the acquisition of Tailcat, the open search engine developed by the team formerly responsible for the privacy search and browser products at Cliqz, a holding of Hubert Burda Media. Tailcat will become the foundation of Brave Search. Brave claims that this will be "the first private alternative to Google Search and Google Chrome on both mobile and desktop", as DuckDuckGo and Qwant repackage Google and Bing search results. The browser maker also intends to pay people for using its new search engine. Brave will rely on some google tech, but will probably use its own webmaster tools and results. 

Edit 24/06/21: Brave search has entered beta(search.brave.com)

Brave goes after Google with privacy-first search engine

Quotes

The startup hopes to pay users for seeing the ads, like it does with its flagship browser. Brave's existing browser-based ad system pays 70% of ad revenue to Brave users who opt into the system, called Brave Rewards.

“The only way to counter Big Tech with its bad habit of collecting personal data is to develop a robust, independent, and privacy-preserving search engine that delivers the quality users have come to expect,”

said Dr. Joseph M. Pujol, head of the Tailcat project.

image.png.d56443244ab5457fa491bd286ea56b5c.png 

My thoughts

Another search engine? I don't think that brave will attain huge success with this. DDG hasn't been as successful as we wanted it to be. And now brave expects people to use their search engine, after google took serious privacy measures. Sigh, I hope that brave isn't biting off more than it can chew, because the browser is pretty nice, and I would hate to see them go down.

EditL The thing looks slick. Much better than the duck. Showed everything that I wanted and seems genuinely better than even google.

FunFact

On Wednesday, Google said that starting next year, it'll stop tracking individuals as they visit different websites. The executive who made the announcement was David Temkin, director of product management for ads privacy and trust at Google. Previously he was Brave's chief product officer.

Sources

New sources https://techcrunch.com/2021/06/22/braves-non-tracking-search-engine-is-now-in-beta/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/braves-new-privacy-focused-search-engine-takes-aim-at-google/

Old Sources

Brave takes on Google with privacy-focused search engine - CNET

Brave goes after Google with privacy-first search engine (xda-developers.com)

Search | Brave Browser

DuckDuckGo not being as successful as we wanted it to be? I disagree since over 2 years ago. I've had DDG as primary search engine for several years now and not once I thought "gee, I need to open Google to find something". Not once. It's working great and it's serving me great. It's people's dumb fixation that only Google exists and only Google can find everything.Which is total bull.

5 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

DuckDuckGo not being as successful as we wanted it to be? I disagree since over 2 years ago. I've had DDG as primary search engine for several years now and not once I thought "gee, I need to open Google to find something". Not once. It's working great and it's serving me great. It's people's dumb fixation that only Google exists and only Google can find everything.Which is total bull.

Yes, I switched to StartPage (another DDG competitor) a while ago. The only case in which I've used Google has been to search my own username to see if my website shows up, and that's only because I know many others use Google! For personal use, it's not been an issue.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Geez, I am not saying that it is not good. On the contrary, I use duckduckgo. But everyone that I see still uses Google. Google still holds a huge market share and I wish that ddg dethrones it in the same way chrome dethroned internet explorer

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

duckduckgo never returns proper results for me in dutch... so i'm stuck with google. 

She/Her

41 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Geez, I am not saying that it is not good. On the contrary, I use duckduckgo. But everyone that I see still uses Google. Google still holds a huge market share and I wish that ddg dethrones it in the same way chrome dethroned internet explorer

A small company with no headstart is going to dethrone a multibillion corporation that's a synonymous with search? I like DDG, but your expectations are way too high.

9 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

A small company with no headstart is going to dethrone a multibillion corporation that's a synonymous with search? I like DDG, but your expectations are way too high.

Well, Google was a startup and dethroned Alta vista and yahoo....

Yeah, I agree. My expectations are way too high. I apologize.

2 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Well, Google was a startup and dethroned Alta vista and yahoo....

Yeah, I agree. My expectations are way too high. I apologize.

Back then they were simpler times and basically anyone could dethrone anyone. Trying it now is a much different thing. I don't think any of those was so focused on search and just being best of the best. They were sort of "just there". I could be remembering those squeaky beep beep times differently tho.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I have been using DDG for a year now and for some results in my native language or just finding something i had to switch to Google for that, so for not native English speakers sometimes you still need to take a step back to Google unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Would be nice if it is named Bold.

That sounds like a quick Cease and Desist 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

43 minutes ago, Kadzo said:

I have been using DDG for a year now and for some results in my native language or just finding something i had to switch to Google for that, so for not native English speakers sometimes you still need to take a step back to Google unfortunately.

Actually they have improved localized search significantly. It's still off with some search results, but now it's searching within my local domains and language where before I got anything but.

5 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Actually they have improved localized search significantly. It's still off with some search results, but now it's searching within my local domains and language where before I got anything but.

And i completely agree with you on that, but for some reason if you try to find a store or just a local pub (in Serbia especially in smaller cities) you will have a hard time for some reason. Also i noticed if you need a location on the DDG (again in Serbia) you are close to screwed 😄 

16 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

duckduckgo never returns proper results for me in dutch... so i'm stuck with google. 

DDG doesn't even give me what i'm looking for in english a lot of the time

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 3/4/2021 at 2:17 AM, RejZoR said:

Speaking as someone who primaries DDG: It's far better than most people think, but I still end up hitting the !g (google search shortcut) quite a bit, mostly when looking up something technical. Finding that one random reddit thread where someone is having a similar issue is difficult, but somewhat more consistent on google.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

Not sure this will have much of an impact, even if its as interesting and seemingly novel as it appears to be.

As for DDG, it's been awhile since I trialed it for a bit, but I always remember having to alter my terms a few times before getting the results I was looking for, whereas with Google, I can be more succinct and still arrive at my intended information or page.

19 minutes ago, Superbatninja said:

according to one page on some random site which also classes almost every other browser as spyware...

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, Superbatninja said:

Well almost every other browser IS spyware, sad how it is like this.

If that's how you consider things, then essentially every piece of proprietary software available today is spyware.

However, the article you have linked, as well as being from an entirely unreputable source, talks a lot of nonsense.

There's an entire paragraph about automated updates. How does this relate to being spyware? It doesn't. In fact, not having automatic updates would make the user more susceptible to spyware via unpatched security vulnerabilities.

It also complains about Google being the default search engine. Perhaps that's just because they know what people generally use, and they're trying to make the experience of switching to the browser as frictionless as possible? If Brave really wanted to give user data to Google, there's a lot more they could do than just set Google as the default search engine.

I don't believe that Brave is any worse than Firefox or Chrome regarding spyware.

pythonmegapixel

On 3/4/2021 at 2:17 AM, RejZoR said:

I just can't stand the way it looks and the stupid duck logo. At least Bing has some sick new wallpaper every day.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

I just can't stand the way it looks and the stupid duck logo. At least Bing has some sick new wallpaper every day.

If I'd want wallpapers, I'd go to a site that has wallpapers, not a search engine that's suppose to load quickly and find things for me. You have weird priorities. Same reason I can't stand Brave. If you use dynamic random wallpapers it takes too long to load and if you don't it defaults to some ugly ass bright gradient background on home page.

41 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

If you use dynamic random wallpapers it takes too long to load and if you don't it defaults to some ugly ass bright gradient background on home page.

Not for me it doesn't:

image.thumb.png.cfbec499c5e11cf022c6483db1a7d03d.png

pythonmegapixel

On 3/7/2021 at 12:57 PM, RejZoR said:

If I'd want wallpapers, I'd go to a site that has wallpapers, not a search engine that's suppose to load quickly and find things for me. You have weird priorities. Same reason I can't stand Brave. If you use dynamic random wallpapers it takes too long to load and if you don't it defaults to some ugly ass bright gradient background on home page.

Google is just a word on white, I'm fine with that. DuckDuck is a stupid logo on a weird gray.

I don't use Bing, I was just saying they have cool backgrounds. And it loads pretty much instantly so I don't see the problem. Matter of fact loading a few different tabs with Bing and Google I'd say Bing loads faster even with it's extra stuff.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

Google is just a word on white, I'm fine with that. DuckDuck is a stupid logo on a weird gray.

I don't use Bing, I was just saying they have cool backgrounds. And it loads pretty much instantly so I don't see the problem. Matter of fact loading a few different tabs with Bing and Google I'd say Bing loads faster even with it's extra stuff.

https://lite.duckduckgo.com

18 hours ago, RejZoR said:

That's even worse. There's no formatting at all. Even the search results don't have formatting.

And now I'm thinking that "google it" has become a phrase. If Duckduckgo (Whose name is way too long) became popular, would people tell each other "Just duck it?" Then the autocorrect would really freak the hell out.

#Muricaparrotgang

I remember Google search last in year 2012 and heard that news said Google company is doing something to collection our information and personal when use Google search. That's creepy and nasty. That's why, because Google company want to nose on all people info. We know Google company doing something wrong.

I was forced to use StartPage instead of Google search and make more safe for us.

StartPage forever for me to use everyday and I love it. No issues so far. 🙂

My old computer list:

HP H8-1360T: Intel Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz, 16 GB (2 x 8 GB, 2 free slots left - max support 32 GB) DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz, Nvidia Geforce GT 630 @ 2 GB DDR3 (4th - Kepler family, 192 Cuda cores - Work fine on SpellForce 3 with NoPostFX-Mode for removal of all FX-Effects and shaders in the game to improve FPS speed), Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 Bit.