How many PCs do you have in your household?

Mister Woof

I don't have too many hobbies anymore, so PC assembly is kind of my only real fun expensive hobby. Especially since the lockdowns and staying home more.

I've got a total of 6 desktop PCs (3x 8th gen intel, 1x 9th gen, 1x 10th gen, 1x 1st gen ryzen), 4 laptops (2 personal, (skylake and haswell), 2 work (both skylake), and 2 chromebooks (kids school, personally owned).

And between all of those not counting the integrated screens, that's also 10 dedicated computer displays.

How many other people have just accumulated a ton of computers in their homes?

I know a lot of folks collect guns, cars, models, etc.....but I just have computers now.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

7 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I don't have too many hobbies anymore, so PC assembly is kind of my only real fun expensive hobby. Especially since the lockdowns and staying home more.

I've got a total of 6 desktop PCs (3x 8th gen intel, 1x 9th gen, 1x 10th gen, 1x 1st gen ryzen), 4 laptops (2 personal, (skylake and haswell), 2 work (both skylake), and 2 chromebooks (kids school, personally owned).

And between all of those not counting the integrated screens, that's also 10 dedicated computer displays.

I know a lot of folks collect guns, cars, models, etc.....but I just have computers now.

Well, I've got 10 (4 have been killed for their parts):

1. Mac Mini 2011 (Core i5, iGPU)

2. LIVA X Mini PC
3. iMac G5

4. Minecraft server (Phenom II X4 955)

5. Pentium III/legacy build

6. Raspberry Pi 2 B+
7. Power Mac G4 400 MHz PCI graphics

8. 486 build

9. Desktop-TJ84TBK

EDIT (added this):

10. Toshiba Satellite L25-S1192 (XP)

elephants

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I think Im at like 25 total. I really need to start selling old systems, a lot are just boring old core 2 duo desktops.

Scrap them for their parts and then toss/sell the cases.

It's what I've done.

elephants

Lemme gather this all in my mind:

1. My main desktop
  2. My main HP laptop
  3. HP desktop from 2006
  4. IBM ThinkPad T23
  5. Older brother's desktop
  6. Older brother's laptop
  7. Younger brother's desktop
  8. Mom's laptop
  9. Dad's laptop

That's all I can think of that reasonably runs (or can be set up to run with no cost) right now. I also have my old Ryzen 7 1700X desktop (and a Phenom II X3 desktop) sitting around, but unfortunately, I need RAM and a power supply to run it properly.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I guess it's five. The three in my signature, my wife's PC, and my work laptop that I use only occasionally. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

4 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Scrap them for their parts and then toss/sell the cases.

It's what I've done.

My best luck has been selling them as cheap pcs on craigslist, get about 40 bucks a pop, and they I don't have to deal with the case. I have a few more I can sell, but have been lazy and busy with work.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

My best luck has been selling them as cheap pcs on craigslist, get about 40 bucks a pop, and they I don't have to deal with the case. I have a few more I can sell, but have been lazy and busy with work.

LGA775 C2D's look cool as keychain accessories.

elephants

8 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

My husband has a laptop and a desktop. I have...6 desktops, 6 laptops, two different mini-PCs, one running a Pentium N4200 and the other running a Celeron J4115, plus a bunch of ARM-based SBCs as well. No kids or other adults in the household.

You didn't specify whether non-x86 computers count, so: I own 14 out of total 16 x86-compatible computers in the household 😅

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Well lets see what I have...

• My main rig, Resonance Cascade
  • Mac Pro 1,1 (Seller was trying to install OSX El Capitan but failed.I pulled drive from 2,1 and it still boots).
  • Mac Pro 2,1
  • Mac Pro 3,1  
  • Mac Pro 4,1-> 5.1 
  • MacBook Pro 13 mid-2014
  • MacBook Pro 15 mid-2012 1TB SSD, 16GB DDR3
  • MSI gaming laptop 

I also have the parts from my first PC I ever built back in their retail boxes from 2015. I'm tempted to rebuild it for my dad, who is currently using this HP desktop that is slow as molasses with a A8-5500 from 2013. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, SpiderMan said:

Mac Pro 1,1 (Seller was trying to install OSX El Capitan but failed.I pulled drive from 2,1 and it still boots).

Mac Pro 2,1

Mac Pro 3,1  

Mac Pro 4,1-> 5.1 

I'm curious - what do you do with them all?

elephants

31 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I think Im at like 25 total. I really need to start selling old systems, a lot are just boring old core 2 duo desktops.

ill buy some  c2d desktops

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

I'm curious - what do you do with them all?

The Mac Pro 4,1 is on my desk (You'll see it in the "Show off your build" section). I tinkered around with it and got it upgraded to macOS Mojave with a RX 480 blower and 64GB RAM. It is one of the dual socket trays and the seller for that works at an Apple store and used to be her father's computer. It has an Apple RAID card but the battery is dead and the original HDDs are starting to wear out, but it does have an OWC 128GB SSD tucked away in the lower 5.25" bay. 

The 1,1 I cleaned out and repasted the CPUs. i was planning on gutting the case for a laser hive mATX conversion kit that I got last summer. I just feel bad about cutting into it. I also figured for spare parts I can use them. Was $40 but didn't come with the side panel, so I ordered one on eBay.

The 2,1 I got that I felt was slightly more than I was willing to pay. Cleaned and repasted this machine as well and it came with an Apple keyboard. This one was $190 with a power cable and keyboard.

The 3,1 I got for real cheap with 2 Cinema Display monitors but they were totally scrapped/harvested for parts and didn't come with the necessary display/power cables. I took the monitors to my county recycling center on my way back from college. I cleaned and repasted this machine as well. Was $80 for the Mac Pro, 2 displays, and power cable. 

Overall, I was thinking of selling the older machines such as the 1,1 through 3,1 as they really just take up space. The 4,1 I sometimes go and and just have fun with it. I'm kinda a Mac Pro collector right now but again, no so sure what to do with those machines. I did buy a used Apple wired keyboard and mouse for $20 all together as the seller was moving and just needed to sell that. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

4 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

The Mac Pro 4,1 is on my desk (You'll see it in the "Show off your build" section). I tinkered around with it and got it upgraded to macOS Mojave with a RX 480 blower and 64GB RAM. It is one of the dual socket trays and the seller for that works at an Apple store and used to be her father's computer. It has an Apple RAID card but the battery is dead and the original HDDs are starting to wear out, but it does have an OWC 128GB SSD tucked away in the lower 5.25" bay. 

The 1,1 I cleaned out and repasted the CPUs. i was planning on gutting the case for a laser hive mATX conversion kit that I got last summer. I just feel bad about cutting into it. I also figured for spare parts I can use them. Was $40 but didn't come with the side panel, so I ordered one on eBay.

The 2,1 I got that I felt was slightly more than I was willing to pay. Cleaned and repasted this machine as well and it came with an Apple keyboard. This one was $190 with a power cable and keyboard.

The 3,1 I got for real cheap with 2 Cinema Display monitors but they were totally scrapped/harvested for parts and didn't come with the necessary display/power cables. I took the monitors to my county recycling center on my way back from college. I cleaned and repasted this machine as well. Was $80 for the Mac Pro, 2 displays, and power cable. 

Overall, I was thinking of selling the older machines such as the 1,1 through 3,1 as they really just take up space. The 4,1 I sometimes go and and just have fun with it. I'm kinda a Mac Pro collector right now but again, no so sure what to do with those machines. I did buy a used Apple wired keyboard and mouse for $20 all together as the seller was moving and just needed to sell that. 

If my parents would let me (they won't) I'd probably take one of the three.

But I'm not allowed to get any more machines right now.

Maybe once I move out in 4-6 years.

elephants

8 total that you can consider "PC's", but a lot of rpi 0's used for very specific purposes...

(2) PC's I built - wifes: Ryzen 5 2400g, RX 570, 16 gb RAM, 128 gb m.2 ssd boot drive, 1 TB HDD, 500 gb HDD - really only used for her cricut machine

mine: Ryzen 5 1600af OC'd to 4ghz, RX 5700 (non-XT), 16 gb RAM, 240 gb ssd, 500 gb HDD, Oculus Rift

(1) slow ass dual core macbook air that's about 5+ years old, only my wife uses it

(3) rpi 0w's - 1 as a front door surveillance server, 1 running retropie to play NES, SNES and Genesis games, 1 running pi-hole ad blocker

(1) rpi3 - currently being used as a thin client to remote into a Win10 VM, but this changes every few months when I find projects to do =)

(1) ipad mini (2, I think?) that is about 10 years old - mounted on wall above my computer monitor, used to monitor front door surveillance system while I am working. I've also used it for zoom meetings as it it makes it a lot easier to work on my PC during the meetings without having a zoom window taking up screen real estate.

hmm

Main PC 

Old Main PC (needs ssd)

I think an old pentium, not sure what cpu tho

Parents PC

Dad's CNC PC

Dad's other CNC PC

My school laptop

My Old damaged school Laptop

My cheap school laptop

Two...I mean too many

3 Ryzen desktops

1 FX desktop

1 Ivybridge desktop

1 Skylake desktop

1 Coffelake laptop

1 Haswell laptop

1 AMD (A8) laptop

1 Westmere laptop

1 dual socket Opteron server

I think that covers them

Edit - forgot 1, added it in

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1. My main desktop (Custom Build in signature)
  2. My school laptop (HP Envy x360)
  3. My Windows XP machine (Dell Dimension 4500S)
  4. My brother's desktop (Old Dell server machine with various upgrades. He's building his own PC soon)
  5. My brother's laptop (Acer Aspire E15)
  6. My brother's school-given Chromebook
  7. My sister's laptop (some sort of HP)
  8. My mom's laptop (old macbook air - don't know which model)
  9. Old Dell laptop running private Minecraft server

I also have two other old laptops that are out of commission and are primarily being used for scrap components.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

4 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

1 9th gen Intel desktop- mine- i3 9100f and rx 5600 xt

1 10th gen Intel desktop- my brothers- i3 10100 and old hd 6870

dad's home computer surface laptop 3- ryzen 7 with integrated gpu

dad's work computer surface book 2- i5 with integrated gpu

mom's old computer dell laptop- core i5 integrated gpu

mom's new thinkpad- i7 and Quadro graphics

Dad's Old thinkpad- core 2 duo i think

Dad's old Powermac G4- i have no clue at all this things like 20 years old

Edit- Made it more interesting lol

Edited by Avocado417

If you're including computers that aren't in active use then I don't have a clue. It's too many, I can tell you that. I'll list the systems I'm actively using below:

Desktops:

Main desktop (custom build, Ryzen 7 2700)

Dell Precision T3500 (Xeon X5675)

Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 (Core i5-4430)

2011 27" iMac (Core i5-2400)

2010 21.5" iMac (Core i3)

Older custom build (York in signature, Core i7-2600)

Late 2009 Mac mini (Core 2 Duo)

Dell OptiPlex 990 SFF (Core i5-2400)

Dell OptiPlex 755 MT (Core 2 Duo E8500)

HP Compaq 8200 Elite CMT (Core i5-2400)

2006 17" iMac (Core 2 Duo)

Power Mac G4 MDD (FW800 model, 1x 1GHz G4)

Laptops:

MacBook Pro 13" (2017 nTB)

MacBook Pro 13" (Late 2013, only occasionally works)

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

It would be good if Brian the electrician would list every pc he has ahahahah

My count is 9:
My main rig (r5 3600 + 1660s)

My main laptop (i5-7200u + 920m)

Pre-built Insys (i3-9100F + GT 710)

Toshiba satellite a-300 

Fujitsu siemens espresso mobile

A XP desktop

2 Win 95 Desktops

1 Win 98 Desktop  

Current Rig:

Mobo - MSI B450 Pro-Max VDH | CPU - Ryzen 5 3600 (AMD duh) | GPU - GTX 1660 Super (MSI) | WAM - 2 x 8GB 3200MHz (G.SKILLS Ripjaws)Storage - 1 x 256GB SSD (Crucial MX500) + 1 x 2TB | HDD 7200RPM (Seagate Barracuda) | PSU - Cooler Master 450W | Case - Cooler Master Q300L | Display - Asus VP248QG (Main) + AOC 24B1W1 | Other Stuff - Bloody B120 (Keyboard) + HP X220 Gaming Mouse + Asus A541UJ (Laptop)

i have 6 in total

2 active

my main rig ryzen 5 2600 with a 1660s

and my main rig at my other house phenom ii x4 925 with a gtx 650 ti in it

and i have like 4 broken

some sff hp with a nvs 510 and a core i7-2600

lenovo thinkcentre with a core i3-2500 in it and intergrated graphics

some old dell with a core 2 duo and some un named graphics card with 512mb of VRam (edit: oh yeah i swapped it out with a gtx 710 1gb version and  i salavged the 512mb one and used it somewhere else)

and another dell with a core i3-3220 in it with some old geforce preinstalled card with 1gb ddr3 vram

and i think that covers it

Edited by Zob
forgot