How did you guys save up for your PC?

Go to solution Solved by lani100,

Work, Repair some stuff for family and friends and ask some money for the jobs and I buy some used hardware and build computers and sell them with a llittle profit.

I have no friends ... Nor I care about my birthday . Birthday for me is a sad day because I get older each year :(

My birthdays like any other just get a gift or some money

My birthdays like any other just get a gift or some money

I got nothing ... Because : 

1. They don't remember my birthday even If I told them at the start of the year . ( By them I mean Classmates )

2. If they do remember , It's after my birthday 

3. My closest friend has the same birthday as mine , so can imagine how the conversation goes 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

I got nothing ... Because :

1. They don't remember my birthday even If I told them at the start of the year . ( By them I mean Classmates )

2. If they do remember , It's after my birthday

3. My closest friend has the same birthday as mine , so can imagine how the conversation goes

I don't really bring it up because most people will give me b day beats and end up brusing my arm

Earned mine from working as an underground hard rock miner

cost about 9k for everything on my desk

Used to travel through Sudbury as a kid back in the 70's (heading to the UP from Buffalo.)   A few years later when I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy my mental image of Mordor was Sudbury.

Heard it looks a lot better now. 

I already spent around 600EUR on Motherboard, SSD, CPU and Ram. Got all of them by hard manual work. And one birthday :P

I should get another 200EUR by selling my computer without the HDDs.

Lucky me, I have a pretty good notebook... so I will be able to hand on without it for some time.

Yesterday i asked for some tips about case, psu and air cooling. Should have asked saying that my budged is around 500 more euros. 

(the whole thing should be around 1100EUR, maybe a bit more getting and upgrade for a SLI configuration)

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.00Ghz - Motherboard: ASRock Z97X Killer - RAM: HyperX Savage Kit 2 x 4 GB - GPU: Inno3D iChill Geforce GTX 970 Ultra - Case: NZXT Noctis 450 - Storage (1st): Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB - Storage (2nd): Seagate 2TB HDD - PSU: Evga Supernova 750 G2 80+ Gold

• 3 months later...

I am new to the this, and watch some of linus's vids. I see that most laptop vids and pcs, are expensive and most can't afford. I want to ask all you people that have i7-4960x and gtx titan x and game on 4k, how do you get enough money to biuld a deacent gaming pc withouht having to fast for a couple of days?

work all the time and when it is something that you really enjoy then it does not seem like such a huge investment.  priorities 

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

If you're an average Joe with a job, the answer is simple: Saving up, and patience.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

I am new to the this, and watch some of linus's vids. I see that most laptop vids and pcs, are expensive and most can't afford. I want to ask all you people that have i7-4960x and gtx titan x and game on 4k, how do you get enough money to biuld a deacent gaming pc withouht having to fast for a couple of days?

People with those build have them either because A. They need the horsepower for work as much as play - so of course you will drop the $$$ on it. Or B. They just have jobs, save your money, tada. 

For me, I can justify spending some extra on my PC because I work from my PC. So something fast and snappy helps me get my work done. Obviously I dont have a 6+ core monster - that would be a complete waste of money for me. I game for a couple hours a week, and need the money for a wedding......

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

You really have to save up. 

I know a lot of people who just spend whatever they make that fortnight.

It takes patience, but you will get there.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Okay, well

#1 Parents, gifts, holidays ect.

My parents put twords more then 1000 dollars and the other 400 at the time, I came up with

#2 Jobs, I can get a job, parents dont want me to get a job, so they payed for my PC

If your not going crazy price wise(more than 5000 rigs) then its all where you spend your money. You could have a new car or a aswome computer. Or a starbucks drink every morning or a computer. Its not how much money you make its how you spend it.

abbcaa9ddfe856683cda20e6ee5757bb3783c01a

Your parents don't want you to get a job......so they bought you a PC?

yep. When I get a job, all my money will go into 980Ti's and 5930k's ect thats mainly the reason

Job and saving. Having budget for parts to upgrade per year. Only your first complete build will require much money. And that isn't supposed to be high end. You can always upgrade, which is why PC hobby is so great.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Selling yo.........    Actually get a Job and wait to like christmas and get money or something.

The bulk of my current build was from a combination of tax refund check and a magical paycheck that came in between my rent and other bills checks, so I had about $1100 just from that. The rest was patience.

"Ghost"

Intel i5-4690k 4.6 GHz 1.25v | NZXT Kraken x61 | Asus Z97-AR | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW DT 2050 MHz

NZXT h440 White | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GS | 2x Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB  |Asus VG248QE  | Win 10

Grandparents, 20-50 bgn every time I go there and there are 500 bgn+700 and there are the 1200(600€) for my gaming PC.

Now it's from pocket money, I am not hungry anyway, ~1€ a day, sometimes 2.5€, I got 100€ and bought my Toxic 280X, now saving for a good cheap power supply, like a evga 430w.

Bulgarian, WoT nick- ivelinv8, War Thunder- BEST_NOOB_BG, GAMING PC: FX-4170; R9 280X TOXIC; 16 GB RAM; Fortron Raider 750W; Raidmax Helios case; WD Green 1TB. 50Mb/s + 50% bonus

Well, I help everyone in my town with their computers. I had 40+ customers in the 2ndd week 

|Intel Core i5-4670K| |Gigabyte Z97P-D3| |Seagate 1TB SSHD| |Fractal Design Define S| |Corsair CS650M| |Asus PB278Q| |Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Bundle|

Hey fellow tech heads, I have a simple question for you guys. How did you guys save up for you PC? By that I mean did you have a part time job and save 20% or did you walk the dog and saved forever? I'm looking for ideas to buy some computer parts. I'm almost going be in jail for murder with this crappy laptop. Thanks!

working at a restaurant bussing tables and bartending on weekends. i made about $1,300 a week after tip-out. my PC when I first ordered all the parts before I upgraded was around $1500, took me about 2 months to save up because of bills and life and stuff. total, i've probably spent close to $6000 on my PC from upgrades. it feels much much better to save up the money yourself for your own PC instead of having your parents give the money to you, feels way more rewarding  :D best of luck!

CPU: Core i7 4790k - CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - GPU: Asus GTX 980Ti - Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming - Ram: 20GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Storage: ADATA 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD & WD 1TB HDD 7200RPM - PSU: NZXT Hale90 V2 1000W Gold+ - Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo Black Exterior/White Interior - Display: Samsung 29" Curved Ultra Wide - Keyboard & Mouse: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate & Roccat Tyon - Sound: Razer Kraken USB Headphones, Blue Yeti, Logitech z313 Speakers

I've always bought bits and pieces cheaply, second hand, whenever I've had the money.

I've never tried to save for an entire system, but I never WANTED the cutting edge stuff, I just wanted a PC - I wasn't bothered how old it was.

My system is fairly "current" now, but that's because I work full time and my wife and I always have spare money, but I still never would buy an entire outfit of components - especially at brand new prices.

I sold my iPhone 6 plus and my laptop in order to afford parts for my rig as well as saving a bit of cash on the side including collaborating with my younger brother, we share the machine for gaming.