How did you guys save up for your PC?

Go to solution Solved by lani100,

Work, Repair some stuff for family and friends and ask some money for the jobs and I buy some used hardware and build computers and sell them with a llittle profit.

I saved birthday money, and I guess what could be considered allowance for a while, and then convinced my mom and grandparents to get me some things for Christmas and my birthday. It all worked out pretty well! :) 

How did you earn the money you needed for your build? (Job, allowance, etc.) How much did it cost?

At the time I recently started living with my dad, just moved out of my apartment and had a little extra cash to spend. I went half and half with my dad as a graduation present to myself to have a serious computer for the first time in my life. The computer cost about 2k total. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Christmas, Birthday and allowance money, and Dad kindly paying for the CPU

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

$500 Christmas money

$300 from selling TV

$400 from selling Xbox

$300 from savings from old job

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Since next year I'll be an intern at an IT company (don't have that much info yet, except it will happen), there's a big chance I will get a compensation (since I will basically 'work' there). Teachers already mentioned that the compensation won't be 'THAT bad' (sure, it'll pay less than a full time job at age 17/18, but I can't wait).

Currently I have to save up for mere euro's per month for working at a farm. That makes approx. 5-10€ per two weeks.

As for my current laptop, that was funded by my parents. LAN rig was 100% my expenses.

Laptop: Intel Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce 840M

Desktop: Intel Core i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti

I auctioned off my food stamps

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck

Robbed a convenient store.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Craigslist and working. Its amazing some of the deals you can find on craigslist when you look around enough.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Well i get £5 a week of my grandparents as well as adding this with bday and xmas money.

I may have sold my sisters iphone when it got 'lost'

A job. Don't have many expenses so not really difficult to get the stuff. However, I'm frugal so because of that I really only get the minimum of what will make me happy. So I got a $200 used desktop with a core2quad to which I added an ssd, 750ti, an extra 1TB hdd i had and hooked it up to a new 1080 monitor I bought for it. So far it had done everything I need it to do and wouldnt upgrade in two or three years but I'm so hyped about VR I will be upgrading everything once that hits.

I have unfortunately spent around $1600 over the past 3 years because I had my main PC and I have been slowly putting together another one. I work over the summer and put about $20 a week towards it. Saving for a build can take a long time but it is well worth it.

I've had 4 or 5 builds. But all have been from my own money from work.

Though, my current i5 2500k was purchased new with my dad's money, because he was in a good mood. 

A combination of allowance, christmas and birthday checks, my job, and the stock market.

Will Barnes

Radeon Master Race Club Member

I helped my dad out by doing all the things he can't do, Spreadsheets in Excel, Databases in Access, Documents in Publisher... That kinda thing... he payed handsomely and I ended up paying £600 ish pounds on my computer and, It's Great! (But Steam Sales really didn't help my bank balance :D)

Saved for a year... poor me

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

How did you earn the money you needed for your build? (Job, allowance, etc.) How much did it cost?

My Dad, selling things, free GTX 780, really long story... in total about $1000 then $1500 with peripherals 

I go to BTEC and get £30 a week. plus money i've saved. Need to sell some things though. 

Didn't ask my parents for any money. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

From working, I have 2 "savings" accounts.  One that is ACTUALLY savings, and one that is "play" money.  I throw £400 in the play money one each month and that's what I buy my fun stuff with.  If I have nothing I'm actually wanting to buy that costs more than £1k and the play money is above that, I put the extra into actual savings along with the money I put into savings anyway.

But yes.  Working is the answer.

I go to BTEC and get £30 a week. plus money i've saved. Need to sell some things though. 

Didn't ask my parents for any money. 

Holy shit I only just realized you are from Belfast too... :o

Holy shit I only just realized you are from Belfast too... :o

From but not living in though. Heard your voice on TS. Knew you're from Northern Ireland just from the sound :D

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III