How did you guys save up for your PC?

Go to solution Solved by lani100,

Work, Repair some stuff for family and friends and ask some money for the jobs and I buy some used hardware and build computers and sell them with a llittle profit.

I started saving after about $600 suddenly fell in my lap from an unexpected student grant. My girlfriend works while I go to school but she was kind enough to put any spare money into our "PC savings fund." Within 2 months we had $1700 saved. It was enough to buy a pretty good computer but not nearly enough for what I wanted. Once I reached 2 grand I talked to my Dad who said he would match anything we had saved up as a reward for my straight A's in college. Next thing I know I had 4 grand. The biggest financial mistake I made was with my custom loop. The first round I spent $650 to get the loop up and running. I then spent another $300 a few months later to upgrade it and put custom sleeving in. Now I'm saving up to upgrade to hardline PETG tubing. Had I just went this route to begin with I could have saved a good $500 bucks. You live and you learn though. I just wasn't comfortable enough to jump right into hardline tubing for my first loop.

Custom Loop

4790K - Titan X - 16GB Vengeance 1866 - Asus Vii Hero - EVGA G2 850w - Samsung Evo 500gb - Corsair 760T - ROG SWIFT

Recently took a chance to purchase an ultra wide monitor for a nice discount - but it wasn't planned. And it was from outside the country AND didn't have the money at hand to pay up.

So i opted to get a loan from my parents as they live nearby (plus they wont ask for upfront or interest).

How do you people pay for expensive stuff?

Bank loan? Special budget taken from every paycheck? 

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

Save money or get a credit card. Layaway is a good option too. It's kind of the opposite of a credit card which is why the credit card companies wanted to get rid of it. 

Since I am 14 and have no bills I literally save every penny I get. $1400 more to go.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Money?

Something I will never do, and something my parents always said not to do, is get a loan other than a student loan or a mortgage. 

If i don't have the money in my bank account to pay for it, then i don't have it. 

You save, and don't take loans (at least, not from companies). Borrowing from family is okay, but it's not a great habit to get into. 

If a deal comes up and you can't afford it, then it's too bad. Not worth paying the interest of a loan and getting involved with that sort of thing. 

EDIT: Some loans are okay (and necessary). Like when buying a house, car, or paying something huge, rather than a material purchase, like a monitor. I have my student loans that I'll have to pay off. 

Paypal or CC. Saving up money from having job helps.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Generally just save my money for the purchase ahead of time. If the money isn't there, don't buy it. Impulse buys are a thing of the past once bills take over.

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

I just save. Although $1000 a month is kinda hard to get things like a 980ti ):

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Just save money. Having a loan is the worst thing ever. I would be stressed as f.

Technology Entertainment Creativity

Technology Electricity Control

Technology Electronics Computers

I usually just save up. Then I go through paypal.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

When I needed to buy my PC and monitor setup I saved up the cash for it. No messing around with bank loans for me. Only for college.

Git Gud.

getting a bankloan is putting urself only in more trouble then u already are , never take a loan... how do u think they can afford loan's to ppl... ( cuz u pay them for taking a loan )

save money or start washing some cars( go to ppl their house. ring the doorbell and ask if they want their car washed for 10-20buck? lel )

u gotta do somthing for ur buck (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) money dont grow on trees, neither can u shit it out of ur bum

(◑‿◐)

I save up my money. On principle, I never buy on credit.

The only loan that I have, is the one for my house. And that loan is through my inlaws, so they don't charge intersts.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Usually I just wait until I have the money (college student btw.). Although this spring I

needed a new laptop urgently and didn't have enough money, so I borrowed some from one of

my brothers. But as long as it's not urgent (and by that I mean I need it ASAP, not

want :D ) I just wait until I can afford something. Hell, I've been working on my

current PC project for several years now due to that.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

i usually just safe up some money. i make quite a lot of money tough, compared to my classmates. so i can usually buy stuff faster.

i guess that's the advantage of working in the weekends :P

If I can't afford to buy something, I dont.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Save your money and get it when you can. You will enjoy it much more because of the wait, than you will if you just go get into debt via a credit card.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I assume money, but some places accept chickens as a transaction.

>be me

>2015

>not using chickens for the intended purpose. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Save money for it then buy it once I have enough.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W