Nvidia and AMD could easily stop this mining GPU issue

ToneStar

Just make it where you can only put 1 or 2 "gaming" GPUs in a system or they won't work, seems like it would be an easy solution, it would cost too much for them to build a system for every 1 or 2 GPUs.

They don't want to cause it keeps inflating the prices and the stock.

Why should a company care about how a GPU is used?

The way you mentioned wouldn't be actually achievable, and would also throw off tons of people that work with multiple GPUs at home.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Just now, yaboistar said:

people are allowed to do what they like with the products they've bought, whether you like what they're doing with it or not

Hmmm, not really. The obvious one is guns. You can't go buy a gun and murder someone. 

With that said, it's not up to the gpu makers to police usage. It's the government. (same as guns) 

That's opening up a new can of worms.

Not to mention that both companies would want to tackle as much of the mining market as possible, because it is potential revenue-driver in droves for either company. It really sucks for us, but that's the unfortunate reality.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

16 minutes ago, ToneStar said:

Wait, companies want to make money?!

tenor.gif

I think we all figured out Nvidia and AMD don't give a crap about gamers, they only care about selling videocards.

This has been made clear during the mining boom around 2017-2018 and even before that during the first Bitcoin mining boom around 2015.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

19 minutes ago, ToneStar said:

Just make it where you can only put 1 or 2 "gaming" GPUs in a system or they won't work, seems like it would be an easy solution, it would cost too much for them to build a system for every 1 or 2 GPUs.

So what happens if I put my GTX 650 Ti Boosts in SLI and then stick my 9400 GT in my bottom slot?

elephants

and then mining farms turn to cheap i3 CPUs and motherboards and they needa lot more of these since they can only fill them with 2 GPUs ... so now on top of GPU shortages, we would have affordable CPUs and mobo shortages.

It sucks, but there's a shortage, that happened 2 years ago and there was nothing we could do back then either.

Just wait and be patient.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, yaboistar said:

swat team 6 will break your door down and put a bullet in your head for illegal graphics card usage

How about running my 2 GTX 650 Ti Boosts in SLI and then putting my 9400 GT on the top of my case, not connected whatsoever?

elephants

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

Hmmm, not really. The obvious one is guns. You can't go buy a gun and murder someone. 

With that said, it's not up to the gpu makers to police usage. It's the government. (same as guns) 

You can buy a gun and murder someone... it happens a lot in countries with guns i.e US of A

Is there consequences of doing that YES but nothing stopping someone from doing that

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, ToneStar said:

Just make it where you can only put 1 or 2 "gaming" GPUs in a system or they won't work, seems like it would be an easy solution

Nope. One could always use PCIe - passthrough to pass those GPUs to multiple VMs, entirely getting around any such "solution," ergo your solution doesn't work.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, ToneStar said:

Why would they limit the sales of there GPUs? the main thing any company is wanting to do is sell there product. They don't care who to.

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

People do illegal stuff all the time, making something illegal ≠ people can't do it.

It's illegal to distribute (and in some jurisdictions, acquire also) copyrighted material, yet, you can easily search and find all of this on any search engines.

People CAN and will do what they want with their possessions, illegal or not.

And BTW, companies CAN put limits in place, they do it all the time ; amount of RAM limited depending on your Windows licence, limits on overclocking (Intel K SKU), restrict the update flexibility (Windows 10 updates), limitations with BIOS options like RAM speed selection or CPU restriction (good exemple is a laptop I had, it wouldn't accept some 2nd gen Intel CPU, but totally would work fine when you hacked it to add the relevant microcode), etc...

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 hours ago, igormp said:

Why should a company care about how a GPU is used?

To maximize profits.

Companies segment their product lines all the time, and price parts based on how they are used.

5 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

To maximize profits.

Mining cards were a thing, and those were actually cheaper than regular gaming ones due to the lack of video outputs and bulk sales, so selling regular gaming ones is actually a better deal since you're netting more revenue while also only needing to worry about a single product line.

7 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Companies segment their product lines all the time, and price parts based on how they are used.

They're slowly giving up on that though, since most people just used workarounds to use their products as they wanted. As an example, you can see how the current Ampere lineup has absorbed many features that used to be quadro-only.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

2 minutes ago, igormp said:

Mining cards were a thing, and those were actually cheaper than regular gaming ones due to the lack of video outputs and bulk sales, so selling regular gaming ones is actually a better deal since you're netting more revenue while also only needing to worry about a single product line.

Workstation and Data Centre GPUs and Gaming GPUs are segmented to maximize profit.

then that will hurt people using gpus for video rendering etc

7 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Workstation and Data Centre GPUs and Gaming GPUs are segmented to maximize profit.

They stopped doing that this generation, those 3 cards now have proper different hardware to justify each one.

Workstation cards (old Quadro lineup) lack GDDR6X, and have more VRAM since actual memory capacity is more important than bandwidth for most scenarios.

DC cards (old Tesla lineup) are pretty similar to the above, but are passively cooled since they go into servers.

If you're rendering at home, doing machine learning or whatnot, and a gaming GPU fits your budget whilst also giving you enough firepower, nvidia isn't stopping you from using those for a long time. CUDA has been available in all of those cards with no difference whatsoever 🤷‍♂️

Lenovo N23 Yoga

During the last big mining boom I saw someone suggest you shouldn't be able to buy a GPU unless you could prove you had a Steam account at least 6 months old or something. That's still the stupidest mining-related hot take I've seen, but this is close behind. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

During the last big mining boom I saw someone suggest you shouldn't be able to buy a GPU unless you could prove you had a Steam account at least 6 months old or something. That's still the stupidest mining-related hot take I've seen, but this is close behind. 

Gamuurrrss truly believe that their hobby is sacred and above anything else, that their sacred products meant solely to power games shouldn't be used for anything else, and that anyone doing so should go to jail

Lenovo N23 Yoga

3 hours ago, ToneStar said:

That isn’t a practical solution.

Any firmware locks will just be overridden with hacks, that’s what already happens with quadro/GeForce 

At best they could put a hardware block in where GeForce/Quadro parts do not power on unless there is a physical monitor attached, and require all 16 lanes to run at PCIe 4.0 spec at power-on. If you want to mine crypto coins with multiple cards then buy the HGX system, or gtfo.

7 minutes ago, igormp said:

Gamuurrrss truly believe that their hobby is sacred and above anything else, that their sacred products meant solely to power games shouldn't be used for anything else, and that anyone doing so should go to jail

But GAMER GPUs only produce electricity and are for the good of mankind 😃

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 minutes ago, Kisai said:

At best they could put a hardware block in where GeForce/Quadro parts do not power on unless there is a physical monitor attached

Nope, it's very easy to make a dongle that pretends it's a display. I have a bunch of HDMI - ones myself.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Besides that any attempt at locking down a card will just be hacked and ignored, it is just an opinion of yours (and many) that miners are bad or whatever. They could think were idiots for using our potentially money earning GPUs to try to run cyberpunk.

Not liking something and wanting it removed when it does no direct harm to you is a dangerous path to start down.

25 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Nope, it's very easy to make a dongle that pretends it's a display. I have a bunch of HDMI - ones myself.

That’s why I said “at best”, because anything attached is a trivial cost.

If it can’t however operate at 16 lanes, then it’s not being used in a gaming or workstation rig. Which has its own set of motherboard compatibility problems.

3 hours ago, yaboistar said:

swat team 6 will break your door down and put a bullet in your head for illegal graphics card usage

My point was they could stop it by making the last GPU disabled once you have above 1 or 2.  They could allow Tesla, Quadro, Radeon Pro or whatever.  Why not just disable it on Gaming GPUs, hell allow it on the 3090 and 6900xt but don't allow it on a 6800xt or 3080 since those cannot do SLI anyways.

They are just fucking gamers and in the long run with this mining thing is done people are going to hate these 2 companies.