PSA: don't buy aliexpress PCI adapters.

18 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

What an intelligently designed fire extinguisher then /s. The whole point of a fire extinguisher is to minimize damage (and save lives). Kind of kicks itself in the ass if it puts out the fire but kills all nearby electronics in the process.

The whole point is the minimize FIRE damage AND save lives, fuck the stuff. Seriously, are you that daft? Should it instead ask the fire nicely or should nanobots be summoned to put out the fire and rebuild your stuff or should the neighbor have just let the fire go so WATER could have been sprayed all over the place when the fire department got there along with even more damage in the mean time? To say a FIRE EXTINGUISHER should magically not harm inanimate objects while trying to put out a FIRE is beyond moronic.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

32 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

What an intelligently designed fire extinguisher then /s. The whole point of a fire extinguisher is to minimize damage (and save lives). Kind of kicks itself in the ass if it puts out the fire but kills all nearby electronics in the process.

I disagree, in an emergency situation, possessions shouldn't be cared for

If the powder had to be corrosive to be effective against fire to increase the odds of survival, so be it

But if it was corrosive for no good reason then i would agree, it would be a bad design if better alternatives were available

Nonetheless, lives comes first and what's done has been done

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

The whole point is the minimize FIRE damage AND save lives, fuck the stuff. Seriously, are you that daft? Should it instead ask the fire nicely or should nanobots be summoned to put out the fire and rebuild your stuff or should the neighbor have just let the fire go so WATER could have been sprayed all over the place when the fire department got there along with even more damage in the mean time? To say a FIRE EXTINGUISHER should magically not harm inanimate objects while trying to put out a FIRE is beyond moronic.

Woah, calm down there Lurick. Nobody likes a keyboard warrior.

1. I did say "and save lives". It's in parentheses.
  2. In the absence of people in danger they're meant to minimize fire damage yes but it adds insult to injury when the fire suppressor causes more damage in the process. We have CO2 fire extinguishers. The situation could have turned out less-bad with one.

Now that's just in hindsight, of course things would have been exponentially worse all around had the neighbor done nothing but I'm making an observational statement how the situation could have turned out better I'm not trying to be an asshole who cares more about material possessions than human life.

That is frightening. Glad no one was hurt and the fire area was minimized with an extinguisher, but what a huge loss of hardware.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

-snip-

Sorry but the way you said it makes it sound like human life is an afterthought and that possessions should be saved above all else. I'm not trying to be an asshole but the entire way you wrote the post was very tone deaf at the least.

I'm glad OP and everyone else is safe though, sure it sucks to lose stuff but at least it wasn't worse.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Sorry but the way you said it makes it sound like human life is an afterthought and that possessions should be saved above all else. I'm not trying to be an asshole but the entire way you wrote the post was very tone deaf at the least.

This isn't anything new for me. I have a tendency to get fixed on one thing and forget the bigger picture. This is only one of many quirks I have that seem to get me in trouble once in a while.

Gotta say though, never thought I'd get an ear-full from you. I always took you for the level-headed type...

Sorry.

52 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I disagree, in an emergency situation, possessions shouldn't be cared for

personal safety comes first

possessions go second (unless its PPE)

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

4 hours ago, RollinLower said:

So I have a little warning for all of you guys looking at these:

Be careful people!

<goes and hastily throws away the few sets of these he has left>

3 hours ago, akio123008 said:

Hmm well it's possible for sure. Especially since it's unlikely anything else caught fire in there. Shame we don't have some footage of it happening, I'm quite curious what exactly happened in there. 

I actually really am looking for my little stockpile of them to throw them away. If I can track them down, I'll peel the foam off and take a look at how janky everything behind it is.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

I mean, I get it, but I'd rather have a home with no computer than no home with no computer 😆

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

5 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

If I can track them down, I'll peel the foam off and take a look at how janky everything behind it is.

Do show, I wanna see how thin those traces are that's supposed to carry 10A

Shit, sorry to hear that happened. That foam was waiting for the opportunity to strike, it seems.

The idea of re-routing the cables underneath was cool on paper, but clearly in practise, it's gone exactly how 2020 would have wanted it go.

Happy to hear your stuff is insured though, 2020 can't take away absolutely everything.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

31 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I can't find them anywhere, and it's driving me nuts. If I come across them tonight, I'll peel the foam off of whatever I have so we can all marvel at the level of firebending they can achieve.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

OMG, luckily no one was hurt. RIP PC and server. Hopefully you got insurance. Just a bad time to replace all that stuff. I feel for you. :/

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Wow, a real horror story... I'm sorry for your hardware but I'm glad your entire house didn't go up in flames...

I wonder if perhaps the loop leaked and caused the short? It seems weird that a simple part like this would just do that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Where do you live? Will you be held responsible to pay back the insurance company? Thats how it works here if you import stuff yourself. You can of course go to China and sue them :D

27 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Found the pictures! That was running a P106-100 at 120W.

Looks like they cheaped out on the cable itself and it couldn't handle the current that was passing through it. That's rough... That's the thing with cheap cabling from China... They often cheap out on the copper, while putting a thick plastic sleeve. This gives the illusion that the gauge is bigger than it really is. Seen a few of those in the past year during my electronic classes. Cables claiming to be 20AWG, but in reality are closer to 26AWG. They basically became heating elements after putting much power through them than they could handle, melting the sleeves.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Oops I thought I already Replied to this Topic but it doesn't look l did.

OP thank you for starting this Topic and informing us about what happen. Not that ever ordered anything from that Company before or that matter China. Now I am thinking think I will never do either.

Aside from a Chinese MIPS based laptop or MiniPC. Preferably not from the same Company that the OP got his adapters from.

However I much get a RISC-5 based computer instead.

7 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Not that ever ordered anything from that Company before or that matter China

most computer components sadly come from china

its on the companies rep for good

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

36 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Looks like they cheaped out on the cable itself and it couldn't handle the current that was passing through it. That's rough... That's the thing with cheap cabling from China... They often cheap out on the copper, while putting a thick plastic sleeve. This gives the illusion that the gauge is bigger than it really is. Seen a few of those in the past year during my electronic classes. Cables claiming to be 20AWG, but in reality are closer to 26AWG. They basically became heating elements after putting much power through them than they could handle, melting the sleeves.

I never took pictures of my TEC roasting cables. # 12715. I've had a few of them. 2 super important things I noticed with big draw, The connections need to be solid and wire gauge.  I've never left a TEC unattended, and never will. 

Good on the OP! Thanks for posting this! And damn sweet looking rig too. What a shame. :(

So now that I'm at an actual keyboard I can type.

Likely what happened is the contacts in the power bridges or the traces on the circuit board were woefully inadequate for the power being drawn. I would suspect the contact terminals as they'll heat cycle and get loose over time and then burn a little, create high resistance, then get really hot and start to melt things or catch them on fire even at fairly low power draw. I see this ALL THE TIME in cars actually, and at around 12V too! They probably did not use any fire retardant chemicals in the plastics of the connectors and I'm sure the foam backing and it's adhesive wasn't fire retardant either.

So was your cat OK?

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

Huge images in spoiler. The two I found use different designs, as you'll see.

Spoiler

20201231_002810207_iOS.thumb.jpg.fbb650cc331624ce10feddb51ccba5c9.jpg

20201231_002856992_iOS.thumb.jpg.1a5a06a0673659488c0c420dbb978135.jpg

20201231_003215271_iOS.thumb.jpg.17cb41cc2d656355a5341c12c51b7675.jpg

No idea where the rest are, if I have any left at all.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Huge images in spoiler. The two I found use different designs, as you'll see.

Hide contents

20201231_002810207_iOS.thumb.jpg.fbb650cc331624ce10feddb51ccba5c9.jpg

20201231_002856992_iOS.thumb.jpg.1a5a06a0673659488c0c420dbb978135.jpg

20201231_003215271_iOS.thumb.jpg.17cb41cc2d656355a5341c12c51b7675.jpg

No idea where the rest are, if I have any left at all.

Honestly the traces themselves doesn't look too bad, but they're awfully close to one another

OP's might've bridged and shorted, causing the fire

Because he said it was at idle so the current through the pins wasn't too high anyways

But I'm curious as to why the OCP in psu didn't trip...

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Honestly the traces themselves doesn't look too bad, but they're awfully close to one another

OP's might've bridged and shorted, causing the fire

Because he said it was at idle so the current through the pins wasn't too high anyways

But I'm curious as to why the OCP in psu didn't trip...

Where are the traces on the smooth-backed one?

Also, the foam is definitely flammable. Don't ask me how I found that out.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Where are the traces on the smooth-backed one?

Now that you mentioned it... Where is it

Is it in the other side?