Computer Repair Techs - How often have you seen bad/failed processors?

Pickles von Brine

How many times have you seen a bad processor?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. In the past few years, how many times have you seen a bad/failed processor?

• Once
    • Twice
    • A few times
    • I don't know. Pretty rare.
    • Other (please explain in a post below)
    • None

I work as a repair tech (been one for a few years now) in the consumer market. I have ran into 2 failed processors in about a year or so. First one was with my own personal system. My Ryzen 3600X just died. Black screen, fans kick up, no post. Doesn't help the X570 Aorus Elite has no post LEDs on it and I didn't have a speaker... Second processor to fail was with a client (just fixed). He had a Ryzen 3600. Would fail under low loads. Bios update did not fix this issue. At first thought it was a power supply, didn't work. Then replaced the board. Didn't work. Then finally tried an old Ryzen 1400 and system worked fine. Replaced with a new Ryzen 3600. No issues. 

How often have you guys seen processors fail? Honestly, I cannot think of too many times. Maybe 5-6 years ago, i would see some AMD processors fail in laptops, but even then it was unusual. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

If my enthusiast level "tech" experience over the last ~15-20 years or so is of any value to you, that number comes to a total of one. if we're including systems that were so heavily outdated that it really didn't matter, that number is ~3-4. I've had some really old hardware die on me out of age, but it was expected, not running anything important.

The only CPU I've had die on me unexpectedly was an FX-8150. It lasted about a year and bit the dust, swapped with an 8350 that's still working last known.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I personally cracked dies of two 3570ks. Other than my own fuck up, never and I worked at a local repair center when I was in highschool. We would get laptops with chipsets or GPUs dead every other day.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I don't think I've ever had a CPU I can prove go bad. I did have a laptop fail, and only managed to narrow it down to the main board (soldered CPU) but can't diagnose further.

I recall in the P4 era I was worried about SNDS if anyone remembers that. Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome. Was apparently happening often enough to get a name, but I didn't experience it myself, even on my sample I used with a phase cooler.

I did have stability problems with a 3700X, but I'm 99% sure that's a mobo thing. It seemed ok one one, but unstable on another. On that board, a positive voltage offset seemed to help. The mobo seemed fine with a 2600 in it. It might just be worst case tolerances meaning that particular sample combo didn't work.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I have had one...

that has bent pins that aren't possible to bend back without godlike skills.

I broke it.

elephants

I have a small box of em so gonna list the ones I put in a word doc as I don't know where that box is:

Pentium 4 2.66ghz x2

Pentium 4 HT 3.06ghz

Pentium 4 2.4 ghz

Pentium 4 530 x3

Pentium D 915

Pentium dual core E2140 x5 (cuz you could oc that poor little 1.6ghz thingy to 3ghz+ no issue but of course people would go overboard with the voltage and poof)

Athlon II x2 250

Amd phenom 8750 x2 (probably tri core to quad core unlock failures)

Core 2 duo e8400

I3 540

Sempron 145 x4 (mining boom got a lot of motherboards from that and these were a very popular choice)

i7 2700k

i5 3550p

Fx 9590

Fx 8320 x2

Xeon e5 2697v2 ( a dud from ebay)

i7 5820k

i5 4440

pentium g3258 x2

Amd 7800k

i5 6500t x11 (office giant aquarium fail systems fried and I got them for almost nothing lots of dead ones obviously)

Ryzen 1400

I9 9980x

Ryzen 2700x

I've never seen a bad chip before. But the amount of PCs/Laptops that I've built/serviced is still pretty small. I would think the most likely thing to see would be bent pins/pads rather than actually dead chips. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

We just upgraded all of our systems company wide, out of like 4-500 systems, and the ~10 that didnt work, none of them were the cpu

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I've seen a PSU kill a CPU but never the actually chip fail for a reason other than bent pins by the end user.

In my experience as a tech and in personal life, I've had zero "fail."

Now, there have been some that had odd quirks in regards to under-performance, or strangeness in regards to their voltages / clocks that led to certain behaviors. But to outright stop working without something else intervening (like a PSU issue or an overclock)? Hasn't happened to me or in my travels; would just be rare on its own.

I’ve never killed a cpu with or without voltage. I have only seen one dead cpu.. a dead 3770K that came with my z77 oc formula. It still has conformal pads in the socket area so I can only assume it died in sub zero conditions. Killed a few boards, a few gpus, a few psus but never a cpu lol. I did try once or twice but obviously not hard enough because I’m yella.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

Not counting user error (bent pins, pads lifting up, etc.) or obvious damage from other components (i.e. electrical surge), it's quite rare, but it does happen.

It's one of the last things one would suspect to be damaged and I'd say most users will never encounter such damage.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Where is the 'none' choice?

I haven't seen a single CPU die (pun!).

I'm not a "tech" by any means but I do the odd builds for others...that said in the oh, 25 years I've probably built about 200ish systems, only had one CPU go bad on me and that was in one of my own rigs and that was a i7 7700K. Found it odd but yeah, only CPU I've ever seen fail.

52 minutes ago, unsorted said:

Where is the 'none' choice?

I haven't seen a single CPU die (pun!).

Added.

9 hours ago, jaslion said:

I have a small box of em so gonna list the ones I put in a word doc as I don't know where that box is:

Pentium 4 2.66ghz x2

Pentium 4 HT 3.06ghz

Pentium 4 2.4 ghz

Pentium 4 530 x3

Pentium D 915

Pentium dual core E2140 x5 (cuz you could oc that poor little 1.6ghz thingy to 3ghz+ no issue but of course people would go overboard with the voltage and poof)

Athlon II x2 250

Amd phenom 8750 x2 (probably tri core to quad core unlock failures)

Core 2 duo e8400

I3 540

Sempron 145 x4 (mining boom got a lot of motherboards from that and these were a very popular choice)

i7 2700k

i5 3550p

Fx 9590

Fx 8320 x2

Xeon e5 2697v2 ( a dud from ebay)

i7 5820k

i5 4440

pentium g3258 x2

Amd 7800k

i5 6500t x11 (office giant aquarium fail systems fried and I got them for almost nothing lots of dead ones obviously)

Ryzen 1400

I9 9980x

Ryzen 2700x

How? OC?

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Killed two 5820k CPUs.

Both were covered under RMA from Intel.

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

11 hours ago, jaslion said:

list snip

Yeah, looks like my list :P 

Killed a couple from de-lidding

A couple from lost pins.

Dropped one smashed the corner in.

have ruined 9590 memory controller channel from HT overclocking 4ghz+

Have received a few dead chips in the mail. 

Had a 3.2ghz opteron 165 die as I used it. After 5 reboots clocking even blow stock freq. poof. no more posting. 

Seen a few in this forum for sure. Mostly AMD chips too. 

Think I've killed or damaged a chip in just about every AMD platform lol.

Boards too. A good stack of them. Recenty just pitched an M4A79 deluxe (AM2+) it will only post if you clear the cmos.... every single restart. I've tried everything short of baking it for a reflow, but meh. The only fun chips where unlockers and Windsor and Brisbane Athlons imo. AM3 was a different story. 

Here's a 4100 I got too hot during a de-lid. It popped! :P

a_a7_a7810284_IMG_0003.thumb.jpg.2f4bedb8a042f1eb496110b55cccbfc9.jpg

3_37_37306665_IMG_0004.thumb.jpg.2a290d193fa243d35434fc3028a4e9be.jpg

been doing this for about half a year. 

broken processors : zero 

broken PSUs : a plenty 

broken mobos: more than you'd think! 

broken HDDs : a many 

broken laptop hinge: one... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Not a repair tech, but I guess my info might be helpful.
Ive killed a couple laptops cpus, cracked one, gouged the other (dachshunds+ laptops = mess)

Was trying to delid a c2d e8300, took a chunck out of the die with my knife.

dropped a pentium 4 (pga one) and the carpet caught like 1/2 the pins.

and to top it off, I threw a p4 that was fried by psu (like sparks and burnt off pads) into a fire.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Pickles - One of the Jar said:

Added.

How? OC?

I repaired systems for years. I don't remember much for most but some were obvious where the psu or board has a catastrophic failure and thus the whole system dies or certain parts.

Like, twice. A LONG time ago in the Pentium 3/Pentium 4 era.

And even there, it was usually broken CPU pins.These days it's mostly bent pins in the socket.

I do remember once that someone had tried overclocking their CPU too much and basically fried everything by pushing way more voltage in there than necessary. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Not a repair tech but I've been an enthusiast for 22 years. I have never seen a CPU that failed on it's own.

Lian Li O11  Dynamic XL  | Ryzen 9 5900X (on pre-order) | ASUS ROG Strix X570 E | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3600 64GB (4x16GB)| ADATA SX8 M.2 1TB | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD| Samsung 850 Evo 2TB SSD| EVGA HX 850W | EK D5 PWM Pump | EK Quantum Distro Plate | EK Lignum CPU Block | Manjaro Gnome Edition

Personal Website