Hyundai buys Robotic Spot.... oh and the rest of Boston Dynamics too

rcmaehl

Summary

A Sonata for you Robotic Spot? Hyundai has purchased Boston Dynamics for $921M. An interesting acquisition to say the least.

Quotes

Boston Dynamics,... according to a report published Wednesday by The Korea Economic Daily,... got bought by Hyundai for around $921 million. Yes, the very same Hyundai that's hammering out...affordable automobiles for you to buy will now be getting deeper into the robot business with an eye on future mobility. Does this mean we'll get self-driving cars sooner, or will we get a robot to help us pedal our tandem bikes? Who knows? In reality, this will probably be a leg up for the company in designing industrial robots or robots meant for use in logistics. This acquisition is the first to be helmed by Hyundai's new chairperson Chung Euisun since he took the job back in October, and rumors of the buyout have been circulating since early November.

Softbank has agreed to sell the robot maker for 1 trillion won (US$917 million). The companies have been discussing a sale since at least early November, based on a previous report by Bloomberg. Boston Dynamics is known for its nightmare-inducing (or oddly adorable, depending on your perspective) robotic dog Spot, which it started selling in mid—2020 for $75,000. The company is also behind the humanoid robot Atlas that’s agile enough to do handstands and parkour. Hyundai Motor has been investing heavily in robotics over the past couple of years and vowed to invest up to 1.5 trillion won (US$1.4 billion) in the industry by 2025. It has mostly focused on manufacturing wheeled robots for factory use, though, instead designing machines as interesting as Spot and Atlas.

My thoughts

For some reason I was confusing Boston Dynamics for Global Dynamics at first and was surprised that, one, a defense contractor got bought out by a South Korean Company, and two, that it sold for so little. Thankfully, that's not the case. I think it'll be pretty interesting to see the Boston Dynamics robots with the Hyundai logo in the future. Regardless, Boston Dynamics seems to have some of the most widely known robots and I would have funded or bought them too if I was a company needing to invest in robots like Hyundai is.

Sources

CNet (First quote)

Engadget (Second quote)

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Just now, TempestCatto said:

So does that mean they'll start including a robo  doggo with every purchase of a brand new Hyundai car? I'll gladly sell my kidneys for that!

Only in the Genesis brand cars though.

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

So does that mean they'll start including a robo  doggo with every purchase of a brand new Hyundai car? I'll gladly sell my kidneys for that!

Pretty sure a Boston Dynamics dog costs more than most of Hyundai's cars. Buy two Spot's and you get a free Hyundai Elantra.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

It mean the robots that build you car are going to continue to have jobs.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Pretty sure a Boston Dynamics dog costs more than most of Hyundai's cars. Buy two Spot's and you get a free Hyundai Elantra.

I know your game. The Elantra is going to be the base or fleet model with like no features > : ( 

6 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Hyundai preparing for world domination with Transformers. :D

I wonder why. Google and Softbank both bought and then sold the company after just a few years. This seems like a company that obviously has no immediate source of income and almost purely a research company, so I'd think google and softbank would buy it with that understood and keep it for decades. So i'm not sure the logic of buying and then selling a few years later.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Two dogs could power an Elantra. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

19 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

The very same Hyundai shoving out mediocre CVT transmissions that fail within 10,000 miles?

I mean, if you look at something incredibly specific and absurd, you'll find every company failing at things. Must be American thing since everything is automatic there. Also CVT's are yuck in general, but if I remember KBB review right, Hyundai's CVT's were the least annoying compared to other droning whining ones.

2 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

That robot is probably more expensive than the average Hyundai car :P

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

921M for the most advanced robotics company on earth seems kind of cheap no?

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Maybe its just a marketing ploy to put robots in the cars to drive them around in order to advertise their new products.

SPEC LIST:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x w/ AMD Wraith Stock Cooler

MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B-450F

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32gb 3200mhz (2x16gb)

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 Super FE

PSU: Corsair 750x 80plus Gold 

FANS: Dual Corsair LL Series LL140mm Dual Light Loop RGB

MONITORS: BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 24 Inch FHD LED 144Hz (DP)
Lenovo - G25-10 24.5" LED FHD 144HZ Monitor (HDMI)

PATIENCE: NOT CURRENTLY INSTALLED

P.S: STILL REALLY WANTING TO FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN CARRY ME TO GRAND CHAMPION IN ROCKET LEAGUE :)

P.P.S: I NO LONGER NEED TO BE CARRIED TO GRAND CHAMPION AS I HAVE MADE IT ON MY OWN 😁

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

I mean, if you look at something incredibly specific and absurd, you'll find every company failing at things. Must be American thing since everything is automatic there. Also CVT's are yuck in general, but if I remember KBB review right, Hyundai's CVT's were the least annoying compared to other droning whining ones.

I'm not just trying to pick on Hyundai. Every automaker has bad shit in their lineup, Toyota included. That doesn't mean I can't make fun of the fact that Hyundai's CVTs are appearing to be comically unreliable or the fact that they tend to have rather high engine repair rates. 

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, S w a t s o n said:

921M for the most advanced robotics company on earth seems kind of cheap no?

they don't make very much money, if any. (yet)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, poochyena said:

I wonder why. Google and Softbank both bought and then sold the company after just a few years. This seems like a company that obviously has no immediate source of income and almost purely a research company, so I'd think google and softbank would buy it with that understood and keep it for decades. So i'm not sure the logic of buying and then selling a few years later.

Hyundai makes a lot of industrial automation robots, from my understanding. So I suspect they bought Boston Dynamics to improve their industrial business.

https://www.hyundai-robotics.com/english/

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

they don't make very much money, if any. (yet)

They're currently forecast to make a little shy of $50M in revenue for 2020 so they are making money.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

15 minutes ago, Blade of Grass said:

Hyundai makes a lot of industrial automation robots, from my understanding. So I suspect they bought Boston Dynamics to improve their industrial business.

https://www.hyundai-robotics.com/english/

also korean and japanesse car companies are famous for doing other interesting industries like millatery contracts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_Republic_of_Korea_Army#Tanks

also samsung does millatery contracts

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

24 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

They're currently forecast to make a little shy of $50M in revenue for 2020 so they are making money.

$50M revenue on a almost $1Bn valuation is almost nothing, none the less does it speak to profitability. Amazon is only valued at about ~5 times revenue, Apple at ~8 revenue. Boston Dynamics was bought for 20x revenue. Puts it into the Tesla realm of astronomical valuations. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

10 minutes ago, Blade of Grass said:

$50M revenue on a almost $1Bn valuation is almost nothing, none the less does it speak to profitability. Amazon is only valued at about ~5 times revenue, Apple at ~8 revenue. Boston Dynamics was bought for 20x revenue. Puts it into the Tesla realm of astronomical valuations. 

Totally fair.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

When a voxel game is worth more than a robotic research company

3cd8a33a.png

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Hyundai is a massive South Korean chaebol or conglomerate, with business activities in a variety of business sectors beyond cars. It's the second biggest chaebol after Samsung by valuation I believe.

So yeah, not totally out of whack of what the company's interests and capabilities are, since they have a hand in almost everything.

I'm guessing neither Softbank nor Google have the industrial support to grow Boston Dynamics so that's why they got sold off.

Can't wait for a Hyundai robo horse.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition