How Could They Mess Up This Bad... Again - $1500 PC Secret Shopper 2 Part 1

jakkuh_t
4 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

as per the replies from @Lamothe and @darknessblade, Dell did charge for all the stuff that was refused, and that is 100% illegal here in Canada, especially with the itemized quote without the price for every items.

That rep wasn't helpful, ended up with an illegal quote, and is it just me or did she mentioned Alienware R11 and R10 at the beginning of the call, but didn't sell them an Alienware PC ???

We can only wait and see what Dells reaction would be in Part 2 of the Secret shopper 2020 video.

Even here in the EU up-selling without permission and not showing the price on a Itemized "Custom" build, is 100% illegal.

Luckily Dell has NO GEO-blockade on their site, allowing people from outside the Region to browse like normal.

I know that a few PC stores in Canada/USA did not allow out of Region buyers to customize a build, using their PC builder "like PC parts picker". Not sure if they still have that GEO blockade up. {was when the Ryzen's where just released, and not available in the EU yet}

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

2 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

However that is not what you said. Intended and what was stated are 2 completely different things, and the original post about all this didn't even go in that direction in any form whatsoever. Instead it went directly to the EU, if it went to Canada or Mexico then I could understand where you where coming from but it didn't.

Right, I was using Canada as an example because we too have consumer rights laws, different in many ways but what Dell did in the video is very likely illegal here as well, plus also wrong contracting out doesn't absolve them of their legal responsibilities towards their clients and regulations surrounding them. Plus the link I gave clearly shows they got fined in New York and not Canada, unfortunately trying to find further information about it including possibly where call centers during that time where is going to be too much hassle due to the accounting scandal they did not too long ago.

Argument does work, you are just denying it for self protection, and what assumptions? Assumption I know how to read and understand English? Because that isn't an assumption, it is a fact. You said what you said and how you said it was profiling based on how one sounded and made the assumption they didn't reside within a body of land because of it, would you have stated that the same way if it was a native English speaking person? Probably not, in fact I wager you wouldn't have, that is where you went wrong in that sentence, you can not transfer that sentence to place said person into North America and can only place them out of it. You breakdown your own sentence for me if you think I'm wrong then, to prove me wrong. Maybe then you'll see what I mean.

Also profiling is still part of my original argument of "You don't need to have a accent from a country to be in said country." I decided to use the word to make my life easier.

So simply put Dell can have their call centers on Mars paying their workers 1 cent a day, but regardless of contracts or who they hire they are still obligated to uphold their obligations in the countries they serve. Failing to do that can result in fines, and have resulted in fines in the past, esp in the USA. That is because the normal consumer sees a number on Dells local site and gets transferred to Mars, but they wouldn't know it unless disclosed and can easily assume they are in the same country, however even if it was disclosed the Martian would still have to uphold the laws of the land the caller is in because they are being paid by a company within that land to do a job for them, and that includes not breaking any local laws that could get them fined.

Now don't bother quoting or replying back to me unless you have tangible evidence I have done/said something wrong, because I would love that if that was the case, but I can't see that actually happening. Because all you have given is anecdotal evidence of things you should have said originally or trying to twist my words while claiming I twisted yours in claiming I have done things wrong, either that you don't even bother reading my replies, in which case what's the answer to life the universe and everything

tenor.gif

Side note: I don't think you can use conceptual and assumption in the same sentence describing a person or actions of, if you can you are the first.

Re: but that is not what you said

No.  it’s what I said.  You chose to interpret it in an unintended way.

re: canada

but that’s not how you used it.   Canada is a reasonable point in that the call was to a person IN Canada, and the previous posts to the original actually reference that.  The original question was how the US law may or may not be different from Canadian law.  I was responding to that.  Dell is a company based in the US, and follows US laws and practices. 

re: claiming you wouldn’t reply

well look how that worked out.  I see this kind of behavior a lot in US political right wing discourse. Make a flawed argument, declare victory for yourself based on that flawed argument and then claim to refuse to speak further since the argument made is so clearly effective and unflawed.  I notice you seem to be trying it again.  This time with video and orders. Rule one of such things is never comply with such a demand.   You accuse me of bad behavior, then claim that I must have evidence (which I seem to have produced at every round of this so far) acceptable to you as self appointed arbiter (which seems to have still happened) then claim I must produce additional evidence To accuse you of wrongdoing.  I’m not accusing you of wrongdoing. Incompetent argument perhaps, but wrongdoing no. I don’t CARE whether your argument attempts make you look foolish or not. My concern was replying to your accusation about MY behavior.  We appear to have agreed that that was crap, hence my interest ends.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Well.... I'm working for one of the companies in that video and boy.... that was a hard video to watch...

Those of us on Floatplane will probably be piling onto Dell even more later on...

But yeah, that phone sales experience with Dell was brutal. Completely unethical and not helpful at all. Overcharged, poorly specced (even Alienware would have been a better deal), and an overall piss poor experience.

I wonder if the video has gotten to someone at Dell internally at a senior level, and they've reached out to Linus already to try to figure out what happened. This isn't good publicity for them to be seen basically scamming unwitting people, as this could lead to government agencies taking a closer look at Dell's business practices, leading to potential fines.

4 minutes ago, Orange1 said:

Who is the old guy in the thumbnail picture? Some employees dad?

It’s a stock photo. Often know as hide the pain Harold 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

7 minutes ago, Orange1 said:

Who is the old guy in the thumbnail picture? Some employees dad?

Harold.

Is this the first time in years that LTT has not uploaded a video in over 24 hours?

I just cant remember any other instance

3 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

Is this the first time in years that LTT has not uploaded a video in over 24 hours?

I just cant remember any other instance

I am also puzzled. What is going on?

16 hours ago, darknessblade said:

We can only wait and see what Dells reaction would be in Part 2 of the Secret shopper 2020 video.

No official replies from them as of now (forgot I have Floatplane, part 2 and 3 are already out on FP :D ), not going to spoil anything, but this isn't the only blunder Dell did ... it's pretty pathetic.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

26 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

No official replies from them as of now (forgot I have Floatplane, part 2 and 3 are already out on FP :D ), not going to spoil anything, but this isn't the only blunder Dell did ... it's pretty pathetic.

tbh i would probably hang up right when she said

"dell.... canada"

the pause is a red flag and i would double confirm if i got the correct number

and her having an indian accent doesnt help much either

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

Can you shed any light on LTT Youtube not uploading something in nearly 48 hours now?

1 minute ago, BaidDSB said:

Can you shed any light on LTT Youtube not uploading something in nearly 48 hours now?

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

huh. i dont have twitter.

Ok thanks :)

5 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

huh. i dont have twitter.

Ok thanks :)

dito. would be nice to announce such things a bit more prominently here in this sub-forum.

On 11/8/2020 at 6:39 PM, Sakuriru said:

Oof Dell. I can imagine the flurry of emails that are going to be sent after watching this lmao

Dude, dell in the UK has terrible after sales support. I bought an xps using the student offer and they didn't credit me with the rewards points. Called customer service and they basically just said "lol" and hung up. Don't even start me in Corsair lol

21 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Well then I think we need a Part 4. where DELL is being Burned at the stakes, Having Linus Face-time the CEO him/Herself and ask for clearing out, what the issue is that they did not do anything since the last secret shopper, and it has gotten worse.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Man the dell one was painful to watch / listen to.   

Even worse, of all these companies, it is almost a guarantee that a "normie" non-tech enthusiast, if they were going to pick an SI to call, they would certainly default to dell.  They are one of the biggest names when you go to a big box store, have had a really long reputation with the public in selling desktops, and the most name recognition.  On top of that,  you can see dell/alienware branding at walmart, target, bestbuy etc.  Definitely a huge name out there.

To hear that rep push the warranty that much, and push financing that much...man that made me want to purposefully call all my older family members and let them know if they ever need to use an SI to avoid dell like the plague.  Predatory stuff.

Bummer on Ibuypower, as they have a special place in my heart.  I got my first pre-built from them that I ended up upgrading myself (adding an SSD and GPU upgrade), which is what got me hooked on PC building.  At the time (dont know if still true) but the fee was so low to have it built through them, the price was legit so close to buying the parts only.  Like 40 bucks more.  Was a crazy good deal at the time.  Might have changed since then.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

Also funny to see so many default to "i5 or i7", right to the CPU, and right to a price sku that probably isnt good for that budget.  Anyone worth their salt, at the time this was made, should have been going immediately to a 3600 for what she was asking and putting every cent possible into a GPU.  Gotta wonder if they have some incentives to upsell some of the CPUs to move product?  

2070 Super should have been absolute minimum spec, really could fit a 2080 Super in that budget.  Very sad to see

Unrelated to the content but is anyone else getting stuttering on Linus and Jake's cam throughout the latter half of the video? I thought it was my setup but Sarah's cam and other videos seem to be playing fine.

Will have to give ibuypower some more props (not on the performance on video 1, but on their value).

Just out of curiosity went to try and use the suggested build / customizer on both Origin PC and Ibuypower

Origin PC - gave me an intel 10400 and 1660ti for 1500 USD!!!!   Holy crap what an absolutely bad deal.  Can play with things and get a 2060 and ryzen 3600, but at that point well over 1600 USD.  The upcharge for this SI is absolutely bananas!

Ibuypower - just clicked BF5 at 1440p and it gave me a 3700x + 2070 Super for 1499$.  With 2 seconds worth of customization, went down to ryzen 3600 and up to RTX 3070 (which they have in stock!) for 1530 USD.  Also 16 gb 3200 memory, X570 mobo, 500 gbnvme SSD.  Very happy to see Ibuypower is still a pretty good deal (although clearly they have lots of work to do with customer service and their billing).

“The pigeon never double takes.”

@LinusTech So tell me what you think of Moonraker? And, perhaps, what name you went by on alt.fan.james-bond.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

9:01 ... The dell option is like india tech knowledge reading from a notepad, wow..

edit: Watching the HP, 2k grand.. I7 and 2060? Canada must be an expensive country, 2k in norway would atleast get you a 2070S..

edit2: Thank god they offered a 2070 x)

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

I'm guessing I should call memory express instead?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 11/11/2020 at 5:42 AM, Zberg said:

Gotta wonder if they have some incentives to upsell some of the CPUs to move product?  

Of course they have incentives to upsell, of course!