Whelp, are ALL hardware releases just going to be like this now?

pipnina

Much like with the 30 series GPUs, the Zen3 processors all sold out on the day they released in the UK, and won't be back in stock until December according to retailers. meanwhile ebay has 5600x being bid on for £500 (almost 5900x retail price) and 5950x being bid on for £1400. I refreshed scan's website at exactly 14:00 (the release time) and immediately saw "89 people buying" on the *motherboard combos* alone.

I'd consider myself a patient person by enthusiast's standards but not knowing if or when I'll realistically be able to buy a current gen CPU or GPU is kinda sad. Especially since my 6700k just can't handle screen sharing games in 1080p on discord while playing (especially in VR) so I do really want an upgrade, and I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat of just wanting some level of certainty and not "pre-order" or "out of stock, back sometime".

I think we all hoped AMD wouldn't have supply issues, but deep down we knew what would happen... This release was so heavily hyped.

Most releases I can remember had stock issues at first. It's just that the last few releases weren't that spectacular, so fewer people felt the need to upgrade and the whole pandemic thing is further impacting the situation. Some people stuck at home looking for stuff to do probably isn't helping either.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Well covid affected even apple' iphone release, they released only half of the new models a month after schedule, and they were considered the most accurate till now. The other big issue is that covid made people buying hardware more than ever before, you gotta see cameras that are now 4 times more expensive than they were before, the same exact model. If we will continue to the same route on working from home, and we will to a point, things will get better eventually, but it will take time

I suspect that due to the current situation, supply chain strategies used until now are insufficient to meet the demand for online orders. Crucial products have the priority when it comes to on-time and reliable deliveries. Unless the infrastructure changes, and more resources are dedicated to supply chain optimization and management, more and more newly released tech products (usually manufactured in Asia) will be out of stock soon after release.

Releases need a lot of work, they need to realise that some people will pay to be first and other will just wait.

Consumers also need to realise if they can’t wait they will have to pay for something quickly, otherwise they just need to wait.

We just can’t have it both ways.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Until the situation normalizes I would answer that with a resounding most likely, probably, yes! 

6 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

We just can’t have it both ways.

Oh, yeah, new consoles launch will be fun, just glad I'm not interested (in the eco system) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I saw the scalpers on ebay and amazon, sure, but i actually saw them on facebook as well. They were advertising 5600x cpus in a group. They had 6 in stock. In the uk, the 5600x is selling for around £280 but these scalpers were wanting £499 for them! It begs the question, who would be stupid enough? Well obviously some are because these people wouldn't be doing it if they couldn't get them sold.

Scalpers moved away from toilet paper, to the newest tech product with a high demand during the confinement. 

Starting to think we might all need to do what scalpers do and employ ai bots to automatically buy the damn thing for us. Even out the playing field a bit.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Yeah it sucks but don't give up hope. 

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

45 minutes ago, Digideath said:

I saw the scalpers on ebay and amazon, sure, but i actually saw them on facebook as well. They were advertising 5600x cpus in a group. They had 6 in stock. In the uk, the 5600x is selling for around £280 but these scalpers were wanting £499 for them! It begs the question, who would be stupid enough? Well obviously some are because these people wouldn't be doing it if they couldn't get them sold.

I know! This seriously bugs me, why are people paying (in theory at least) £500 for a 6 core CPU, and £1400 for the 5950? Especially since one of the big selling points for ryzen generally is the price/performance...

The rise of gaming popularity and launch hype not only attracts legit customers but scalpers as well.

RTX 3000 series scalped,Ryzen 5000 series scalped,Playstation 5 scalped,XBOX Series X scalped.

It's affecting the gaming industry as a whole,It didn't affect the recent launch of the iPhone 12 for example.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Just wait. Day even month 1 drivers and software aren't perfect.

Its been this way for years that most launches get sold out instantly

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

OH GOD,IT'S EVERYWHERE!!!!!

It's spreading like cancer now:

Scalpers are already selling Tesla Tequila for $500-$1000 on eBay

And if you are in Canada:

road test appointments so hard to come by that they’re being scalped like concert tickets

Houston Marathon Threatens Ban to Deter Scalpers

Currys PC World charging £2449 for Xbox Series X to put off scalpers

Demand for flu vaccine soars in China, prices triple on scalpers' market

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

This isn’t new. It’s been like this for for decades going all the way back to the infancy of gaming. 

You’re probably only noticing now because you’re new to the experience.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

45 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

This isn’t new. It’s been like this for for decades going all the way back to the infancy of gaming. 

You’re probably only noticing now because you’re new to the experience.

I have seen about a decade of launches and have never seen anything like it on such scale.

Why can't the store just use something like a captcha to avoid Scalper bots, you know like rotate the image till it is right side up

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

Houston Marathon Threatens Ban to Deter Scalpers

????? What?

Please don't tell me people are buying up participation tickets to a marathon, only to resell them.... ?

4 minutes ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

Why can't the store just use something like a captcha to avoid Scalper bots, you know like rotate the image till it is right side up

Captcha will just introduce more hassle for the legitimate customers. That and even if they do, it's easy enough for them to just set it up so it warns them, they input it manually and everything else goes through in a matter of seconds.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, Justaphysicsnerd said:

They can also limit sales to 2 units per account and IP address.

Just now, Vishera said:

They can just get an accomplices or two in, like their family members or close friends.

VPNs are also a thing. If VPNs are somehow banned too, cheap mobile phones with a dirt cheap mobile internet access plan are also a thing.

Privacy.com is a thing (in the US anyway) to get multiple credit card number from a single one.

4 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

????? What?

Please don't tell me people are buying up participation tickets to a marathon, only to resell them.... ?

Captcha will just introduce more hassle for the legitimate customers. That and even if they do, it's easy enough for them to just set it up so it warns them, they input it manually and everything else goes through in a matter of seconds.

This tbh. Captcha is probably circumventable by some % of bots at any given time. I hear the term "cat and mouse" thrown around a lot with regards to it.

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Maybe they already do? I haven't checked but it's quite possible that demand was so high or supply so low that even a few scalpers buying one per store front lets them suck up a big chunk of the market.

9 hours ago, Vishera said:

I have seen about a decade of launches and have never seen anything like it on such scale.

Ryzen 3000 series was a pain to get too. I wanted a 3900 and on launch the only thing available was a 3600, was several months before the 3900 was available with any kinda regularity. Console launches have been like this as well. This isnt anything new.

another point of view, sold out immediately = good product

of cause with exception , eg apple 

I don't even get excited for new hardware releases anymore because of the bots and scalpers, I just wait till the next black friday sale when the stuff is almost a year old and get it then. Almost new is new enough for me!