How far in advance are products finalized?

TrainFan475

idk if this is a dumb question, but how long does amd/nvidia wait to announce their products after actually completing them? like could there already be an rtx 4080 prototype somewhere in nvidia's labs? (i know probably not, just an example)

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

5 minutes ago, TrainFan2020 said:

idk if this is a dumb question, but how long does amd/nvidia wait to announce their products after actually completing them? like for example could there already be an rtx 4080 prototype somewhere in nvidia's labs?

PRoduct launches have a lot of factors in play.
You want to release at a time where your product will be compelling to buyers when comparing to both your competition and your previous lineup. 

You also want to launch at the appropriate time in the year. No one is gonna shell out thousands on new equipment in January, arguably the biggest down time of the year for most companies.

Some companies can afford not to release immediately if their competition is not catching up (say, Nvidia VS AMD here and there) and they can wait, giving them more time for R&D into their next product or refining the current one and prolonging the life of their current lineup. 

Other companies & product like the Xbox & PlayStation consoles, can't afford to release at an off-beat pattern. When one of them release, you better have your own product ready. Otherwise you'll miss out on the next-gen panic/hype.

On the other hand, I doubt Nvidia is really holding back anything. There is more than enough demand all over the world for their products that it would be absurd not to take that cash.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Products can be in various degrees of "completeness". It isn't a binary done or not done. Don't know who said it, but perfect is the enemy of good enough. They have to decide when a product is ready enough to be sold. Sometimes that doesn't go smoothly if they release early to hit certain dates for example.

Products aren't made sequentially. Large organisations will have multiple teams doing different things going into future products. For example, you have to support what is being sold right now. You actively work on what will be the next release. You will be researching what to put in the release after that. You may have another team looking even further forward at what technologies that don't even exist yet, but will impact the products further out. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

There very likely is a 4000 series GPU in early stages of design somewhere. Most companies start design work on stuff like this many years in advance. 

Cell phones, I think it's around 6 or 7 months prior to launch. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

With very limited knowledge (some documentaries, like one of LEGO) of manufacturing process, I think 6 months from finished to launch. Maybe less, since all the leaks start to come like 3 months prior.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

There are far too many factors for it to be a matter-of-fact time. Something that affects CPUs and GPUs specifically is not only the platform and fabrication, but there is R&D being done well in advance before the technology and materials to actually create and assemble products starts to take shape into a product.

no, they're announcing them far before finalizing them. 

sometimes they also release them before finalizing them.

see Nvidia 30xx

it's called "paper launch" apparently.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I'd actually like to know how far in advance products start development, research, design, "coming up with the idea in someone's dream", etc, even before the CEO knows the details or even the name of said product.

For example, did (whoever at Intel then) start thinking of whatever would become the i9-10900K when, say, the Q6600 was launched, or was it not until the i7-7700K was EOL?

Was Jensen Huang brainstorming what would become the RTX 3090 when Nvidia was launching the Riva TNT?

Was Lisa Su (or whoever) thinking of what they wanted from what would become the Ryzen 9 5950X or Radeon 5900 XT when the AMD K6 architecture or ATI CGA/EGA/VGA Wonder series reigned supreme? 😃

22 hours ago, TrainFan2020 said:

idk if this is a dumb question, but how long does amd/nvidia wait to announce their products after actually completing them? like could there already be an rtx 4080 prototype somewhere in nvidia's labs? (i know probably not, just an example)

So there is a different between having a prototype to finilazing a design. Romers say that AMD waited on Nvidia 30x0 luch to finilaze their "big navy" GPU's but that was only some very minor tweeks, they probably finalated around 95% of it and just left some stuf to match Nvidia. And if i would have to guess I would say that everyone does what AMD did which means that they finilaze the complete final design around 2-3 weeks before lunch event because a finalazted product that is just sittin in the lab is a waste of money becasen if they had the RTX 4080 finilazed they would release it and capture the whole market because they will have a big prefornace advantage. 

14 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I'd actually like to know how far in advance products start development, research, design, "coming up with the idea in someone's dream", etc, even before the CEO knows the details or even the name of said product.

For example, did (whoever at Intel then) start thinking of whatever would become the i9-10900K when, say, the Q6600 was launched, or was it not until the i7-7700K was EOL?

Was Jensen Huang brainstorming what would become the RTX 3090 when Nvidia was launching the Riva TNT?

Was Lisa Su (or whoever) thinking of what they wanted from what would become the Ryzen 9 5950X or Radeon 5900 XT when the AMD K6 architecture or ATI CGA/EGA/VGA Wonder series reigned supreme? 😃

The PC industry is a vey generatianal one and new products are not that far off in overall disgn from the products from the year and even 10 years before, so every company has thier own pace but because of the "modular" nature of the products i would guess that first ideas and sketches are around 2-4 years before lunch and serious work is stared between 1.5-2 years before 

I remember Jen-Hsun Huang walking on stage with a prototype Pascal or Maxwell (I forget which) PCB like 2 or 3 years before release. I wish I could remember which event it was so I could link it. I remember him joking around that it was the most valuable card in existence and someone could buy it if they really wanted to for a fortune... or something along the lines of that.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

i will just say that samsung is working on 6G :)
as soon as a product is out, research team is searching on the new line up, and another smaller team is doing software updates for the previous generation