Food & Cooking

whm1974
1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

1977? Man you are much older then I am...

To be fair it wasn’t a new machine.  It belonged to the science teacher.  The actual science room had trs80 model 3s.  Would have been early-mid 80’s.  It was the most capable machine at the school though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

i think its just snake oil like those fish oil pills etc

18 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

i think its just snake oil like those fish oil pills etc

Fish oil is only sort of snake oil.  It’s got vitamin d3 in it which is helpful if you live in far northern latitudes (like Minnesota or all of Canada) and don’t get enough sun for your skin to make enough vitamin D.  It’s also a “good” cholesterol.  Unfortunately that has been leveraged into all sorts of wild claims.  For  Vitamin D3 can in fact help with depression. IF you have SADS, and IF you happen to live in one of those northern latitudes.  There’s a big can and several ifs though, which marketers like to leave out. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Fish oil is only sort of snake oil.  It’s got vitamin d3 in it which is helpful if you live in far northern latitudes (like Minnesota or all of Canada) and don’t get enough sun for your skin to make enough vitamin D.  It’s also a “good” cholesterol.  Unfortunately that has been leveraged into all sorts of wild claims.  For  Vitamin D3 can in fact help with depression. IF you have SADS, and IF you happen to live in one of those northern latitudes.  There’s a big can and several ifs though, which marketers like to leave out. 

Well it is way better then taking teaspoons of Cod Liver Oil... Blah Nasty Stuff...

useful as a black coloring but beyond that its best kept in the medical field to combat poisoning.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

2 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

useful as a black coloring but beyond that its best kept in the medical field to combat poisoning.

I am going to have to check, but what about reducing Gas? I do sometimes tend to be rather, well Gaseous.

4 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Well then I am older then you. When I was in HS there was no such such thing as Smartphones. And CPU clockspeed was still in the double digits...

Probably. Smart phones were BRAND new then, and only the last year. We cracked the 1ghz barrier my 2nd year I think.

Just now, whm1974 said:

I am going to have to check, but what about reducing Gas? I do sometimes tend to be rather, well Gaseous.

Well the problem is there are no major studies in its use but it has been shown to have certain side effects when not used as just a emergency poison absorbent.

E.G

Constipation

Vomiting

Diarrhea

And ofc it can eventual turn ur tongue black and, not that it particularly matters but, ull be sh*ting black bricks effectively.

Its apparently shown 'some' signs of reducing internal gas build up ,e.g around the kidneys, in those who suffer from that, thus reducing stomach pains, but thats not the type of gas ur on about.

If u do try it, its not something u should take over a long period, and u dont need much, the substance itself is incredibly absorbent, it has more surface area in a teaspoon than an entire football field.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Probably. Smart phones were BRAND new then, and only the last year. We cracked the 1ghz barrier my 2nd year I think.

If I recall I upgrade my AMD Duron 700Mhz CPU to a AMD Athlon T-bird 1400Mhz one in 2001. The Year before I built the Duron system.

27 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

If I recall I upgrade my AMD Duron 700Mhz CPU to a AMD Athlon T-bird 1400Mhz one in 2001. The Year before I built the Duron system.

I think highschool was early 2000's, I'm bad at years so I use events I remember to help me date when things were. Matrix was out, but I think that was the year before HS. Maybe. Babylon 5 was on UPN. Oh yeah, UPN was still a channel. Maybe it was pre UPN, what was it called before...it was channel 50 here in Chicago. 

So I read some articles and watched a few YouTube Videos about doing this. It looks easy enough. Just mix the ingredients and leave out for a day or two. Afterwards put in Oven for a few fours or however long it takes to bake bread...

This supposes to be the healthiest way to eat bread. BTW the really ancient way to bear uses something quite similar. Mix grain with water and leave out...  

One of the few things I know about sourdough bread is that very soft water makes really good sourdough. That's why san francisco makes really good sourdough, they have very soft water. And why philly makes really good rolls is that the super hard water we have here helps get you that nice soft characteristic tear and the nice firm structure is aided by the minerals in the water. So if you want an edge in your sourdough bread, make sure you have soft water.

2 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

One of the few things I know about sourdough bread is that very soft water makes really good sourdough. That's why san francisco makes really good sourdough, they have very soft water. And why philly makes really good rolls is that the super hard water we have here helps get you that nice soft characteristic tear and the nice firm structure is aided by the minerals in the water. So if you want an edge in your sourdough bread, make sure you have soft water.

I'm don't know what kind of water We have here where I live. And yes you can use Sourdough Starter to brew Beer...

https://www.kissmybrew.com/sourdough-starter/

If you live near mountains you are likely to have very hard water, so if you live in like oklahoma or the american southwest you should have pretty soft water.

1 minute ago, BiotechBen said:

If you live near mountains you are likely to have very hard water, so if you live in like oklahoma or the american southwest you should have pretty soft water.

I see. Well Southern IL.

You should be pretty okay then for great sourdough, it's relatively flat out there. If you know anything about your local geology, if you have not very much limestone you are gonna have soft water.

Sourdough can actually be quite difficult to make. I've been making it for over a year now and it does require quite a bit of work.  Here's a good article: https://www.theperfectloaf.com/beginners-sourdough-bread/

I've tried using both a stand mixer and doing it the folding technique shown in the link I gave. The fold technique is by far the better method. The stand mixer doesn't seem to have the same effect as far as the gluten formation goes. In the mixer, the dough doesn't get jiggly and I'll have to add more flour to bring the hydration down to like 60% before the dough becomes sturdy enough to work with. With the folding technique, I have the hydration at more like 75% and after the second fold, it'll be jiggly and will stick together. When I do the third fold, it will be really jiggly and hold together well. The dough is very sticky, but it will behave as dough and not thick batter like it would in the mixer.

The sourdough yeast behaves differently than commercial yeast and you have to maintain it. I'll keep my starter in the fridge so I only have to feed it once a week. But, when I go to use it, I'll have to take it out of the fridge the day before and feed it at least twice while it's at room temperature in order for it to regain it's full vigor. It doesn't rise as quickly as commercial yeast, it usually takes something like 4 hours for the rise time instead of 1 hour, but it could be more like 6 hours (or more) if it's colder in your house. I had to get an ice chest and put a light bulb in it on a temperature controller because my house can get down in the mid 60s during winter and you want the temperature to be more like 75, temperature is very important.

Well I watched this 20 Minute Video and if I wasn't convinced before, I am now.

Note: I only had real Sourdough a mere few times, but enjoyed the taste.

19 hours ago, whm1974 said:

So I read some articles and watched a few YouTube Videos about doing this. It looks easy enough. Just mix the ingredients and leave out for a day or two. Afterwards put in Oven for a few fours or however long it takes to bake bread...

This supposes to be the healthiest way to eat bread. BTW the really ancient way to bear uses something quite similar. Mix grain with water and leave out...  

Well yeah it is easy, such as most of other dishes, there are just a few dishes that are uneasy to made such as the industrial compounds for cakes, they will aways beat every sheffs because their recipe is made by some well paid chemistricians and co

Ps: if you add lard into the bread mixture it will became supersoft

3 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

This article mentions a quick method of making sourdough using white flour and very active Starter:

https://tasteofartisan.com/no-knead-sourdough-bread/

Does White Bread Sourdough taste better then Regular White Breads? Personally I highly perfer whole grain breads, the darker the better...

Frankly I don't like brown bread, it tastes like the peel of the dried fruits, unless it's not heavily mixed with some other dried fruit/seeds and co..

21 minutes ago, Lii said:

Frankly I don't like brown bread, it tastes like the peel of the dried fruits, unless it's not heavily mixed with some other dried fruit/seeds and co..

There types of bread called Brown Bread... One has Malt added to the flour and the other uses Blackstrap...

You need to proof the bread for a long long time, then it tastes delicious.

14 minutes ago, Orange1 said:

You need to proof the bread for a long long time, then it tastes delicious.

Kneed the dough? For how long?