Windows xp's leaked code is compiled.... and video of compiling taken down

Summary

Windows XP's code that was leaked on 4chan was compiled by YouTube user NTDEV.  code was incomplete (things like drivers were missing), but NTDEV managed to compile it. NTDEVs video later got taken down and he privatised his Twitter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IyW-bwGQTQ). There is still a lot of videos with theme of compiling XP left untouched.

Quotes

"Well, the reports were indeed true. It seems that there are some components missing, such as winlogon.exe and lots of drivers" said NTDEV

My thoughts

Microsoft was a bit greedy here. There is still a reason for that, ofc, with main one being the fact that code was copyrighted by Microsoft.

Sources

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-xp-leak-confirmed-after-user-compiles-the-leaked-code-into-a-working-os/

https://mobile.twitter.com/NTDEV_/status/1311030848632885248

Edited by pm128

Ryzen 3 1200

8GB DDR4

1050Ti

#animeaspfpgang

At this point I wish MS would just opensource the windows XP code and let community have at it.

(I have a theory that in the 5 years or so, MS will buy canonical and windows will simply be a linux distro that you have to pay a monthly/yearly fee to get secuirty updates and support for. the same way redhat does it)

Awesome! I hope that it can and will serve as foundation for an ongoing community project to create a usable modern and secure alternative to Windows 10, at least for some things.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

4 minutes ago, pm128 said:

There are still reasons to have ntfs OS... A lot of reasons

I mean, linux can read and write NTFS

Holy shit that is a major accomplishment.

There are still some issues left with the build according to the guide I found (not sure if I am allowed to post it) but this confirms that the source is legitimate and can now be used for other stuff.

NTDEV has made their Twitter account private, and a YouTube video they uploaded about compiling the XP source code has been removed after a copyright claim by Microsoft.

https://twitter.com/NTDEV_/status/1311030848632885248

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IyW-bwGQTQ

NTDev's YT page: https://www.youtube.com/c/NTDEV/videos

There's another video on YT showing the source code for Windows Server 2003 and XP compiling.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

44 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Awesome! I hope that it can and will serve as foundation for an ongoing community project to create a usable modern and secure alternative to Windows 10, at least for some things.

Not possible. The code is copyrighted, so using it for any project would taint the project and be a copyright-violation.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Not possible. The code is copyrighted, so using it for any project would taint the project and be a copyright-violation.

Yeah, Microsoft would do what they could to stop usage of their code. But just like how people sharing the code is a copyright violation but it gets shared anyway, I'm presuming there might be ways to develop a project in spite of Microsoft's opposition.

Cool. Though yeah very old OS by far now still anyway.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

Yeah, Microsoft would do what they could to stop usage of their code. But just like how people sharing the code is a copyright violation but it gets shared anyway, I'm presuming there might be ways to develop a project in spite of Microsoft's opposition.

Of course, if you are willing to knowingly be in violation of copyright-laws.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I wonder what the legality of creating patches for XP would be, if the patches were developed using this source code.

For example someone discovering a vulnerability in Windows XP, looking at the source code, writing a program that injects some code into the vulnerable program/library and then distributing it.

15 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Of course, if you are willing to knowingly be in violation of copyright-laws.

Of course, many people are OK with that - evidenced by the reported millions who have downloaded and / or shared the source files. And there are many non-sanctioned actions that people do online, enabled by anonymization.

But, as LAwLz brings attention to, it's possible to develop without distributing the source code or the OS itself. With the source code, it might be possible to develop patches that apply to an existing Windows XP ISO to transform it into something else, and so run a community development project that way. The development of a project could assume that contributing developers have the source code without distributing the source code to them - or, so I'm presuming.

If NTDEV would add DirectX12 to their compiled version of XP, that would be great.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

8 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Technically that's ReactOS, but for some reason MS doesn't have an issue with it. It's technically reverse engineered OS based on Windows. It's probably too basic and to limited for MS to really care.

12 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Of course, many people are OK with that - evidenced by the reported millions who have downloaded and / or shared the source files. And there are many non-sanctioned actions that people do online, enabled by anonymization.

But, as LAwLz brings attention to, it's possible to develop without distributing the source code or the OS itself. With the source code, it might be possible to develop patches that apply to an existing Windows XP ISO to transform it into something else, and so run a community development project that way. The development of a project could assume that contributing developers have the source code without distributing the source code to them - or, so I'm presuming.

Sure, for personal use, do whatever you want. But as soon as you start distributing the binaries based on said stuff, you'll have MS lawyers on your neck.

29 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

The code can be looked up and rewritten from scratch, that's basically what ReactOS does.

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

Just now, Parideboy said:

The code can be looked up and rewritten from scratch, that's basically what ReactOS does.

No, they are looking at the API and descriptions, not the actual code. Looking at the code and reimplementing it would be a copyright-violation.

50 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Technically that's ReactOS, but for some reason MS doesn't have an issue with it. It's technically reverse engineered OS based on Windows. It's probably too basic and to limited for MS to really care.

As ReactOS is a reverse-engineering project, it doesn't violate Microsoft's copyrights. So long as they are making and distributing their own code and not Microsoft's, they're in the clear.

Community projects made possible by having access to Windows XP's source code also don't have to distribute Microsoft's code - they can distribute their own code that is to be applied to Windows XP. The question is, can community work that doesn't distribute Microsoft's code be effective at transforming XP into a modern-esque OS? Or, if a project does distribute Microsoft's code, can its contributors operate anonymously and with hosting that can't be threatened by Microsoft?

30 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

As ReactOS is a reverse-engineering project, it doesn't violate Microsoft's copyrights. So long as they are making and distributing their own code and not Microsoft's, they're in the clear.

Community projects made possible by having access to Windows XP's source code also don't have to distribute Microsoft's code. The question is, can community work that doesn't distribute Microsoft's code be effective at transforming XP into a modern-esque OS? Or, if a project does distribute Microsoft's code, can its contributors operate anonymously and with hosting that can't be threatened by Microsoft?

Exactly

Ryzen 3 1200

8GB DDR4

1050Ti

#animeaspfpgang

I wonder if anyone is working on a full recompilation with the scource code. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

53 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

No, they are looking at the API and descriptions, not the actual code. Looking at the code and reimplementing it would be a copyright-violation.

In theory. In practice, you can make car wheel only that much different from the patented one held by company X. If something requires a specific line of code, you can say you made it up yoursel for was copy pasted from MS's source, it won't matter, the code will be the same or similar enough.

12 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

In theory. In practice, you can make car wheel only that much different from the patented one held by company X. If something requires a specific line of code, you can say you made it up yoursel for was copy pasted from MS's source, it won't matter, the code will be the same or similar enough.

You'd be surprised by how many functions in Win32 have undocumented functionality and bugs and how much trouble that causes for e.g. ReactOS-devs.

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

Community projects made possible by having access to Windows XP's source code also don't have to distribute Microsoft's code - they can distribute their own code that is to be applied to Windows XP. The question is, can community work that doesn't distribute Microsoft's code be effective at transforming XP into a modern-esque OS? Or, if a project does distribute Microsoft's code, can its contributors operate anonymously and with hosting that can't be threatened by Microsoft?

That's not how the copyright system works.  If you base your source code off of the original work you will get in legal trouble.  Things such as WINE are very careful to keep the de compiling/documenting people separate from the implementors.  Imagine a movie analogy; I could rebuild a movie shot for shot and def. would get sued for copyright infringement (you are deriving the work).  If I only had a description of what the movie was and made the movie, it would require a lot more legal footwork to win in a suit.  (Which is why places like WINE go that route...what they do may still potentially fall on copyright, but it would be marred with a bunch of extra work proving so...and that's assuming they were successful)

29 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

In practice all MS would have to do is show you looked at the source to determine how to write your source.  (As a note, patents aren't a great example, given that if a company successfully patents an idea even if there isn't any other way of doing it they still hold the patent and could sue).

In practice, it would be about what steps an individual took to implement something to avoid copying a work.  By decompiling and documenting an API, and having another team write the work but ending up with the same code is drastically different than seeing the source and rewriting it only to discover you can only implement it one way.  In the first case it's possible to say that the code written wasn't copied but rather a result of it being the most logical way to program it...in the latter case it's copying work and claiming there wasn't any other way (but it's still copied)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef