Confessed Cheater Sues Valve Over Being Banned

Eroda

Ok So technically hes not suing because he got banned but because Valve recently changed its policy on Overwatch Bans making them permanent instead of temporary and then perm banned anyone who was banned for cheating since Overwatch started who was still currently banned

http://imgur.com/a/8s4G5

Admitting to Cheating - http://i.imgur.com/1IgmTFT.png

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

it must take some real genius to try and sue steam   

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

This guy is an idiot in the first place. Valve will win just on the basis that they can change their terms at any time they want and the end user has to accept that or not use the service. Cheat? Get banned. Simple as that.

Yea, he was cheating. He got temp banned. TEMP banned. Just because a policy changed does not warrant a change in punishment, especially since he was given the ban before the new ToS.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

He cheated

They banned him

Now he wants GabeN to come to court.

He obviously doesn't have anything better to do...

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

He's an idiot to begin with. Don't let him win, Valve.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Yea, he was cheating. He got temp banned. TEMP banned. Just because a policy changed does not warrant a change in punishment, especially since he was given the ban before the new ToS.

I agree. I don't believe that cheating in the first place is a good thing, but the fact that he was banned again after the temp ban was over only because a terms of service change is total bs on valves part. Its really kind of screwed up if you ask me.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

The reason for the suit is lost skins and the fact they have tarnished my 900+ game account.

Hacking with your main account. Smart guy here.  I would diagnose this as a major case of Maximus Butthurtus.

I agree. I don't believe that cheating in the first place is a good thing, but the fact that he was banned again after the temp ban was over only because a terms of service change is total bs on valves part. Its really kind of screwed up if you ask me.

I don't think cheaters deserve any less than a permanent ban. Also if the ToS had changed he must've accepted the change meaning he accepted the punishment he recieved.

I agree that it is wrong, but wouldn't it be cheaper to make a new account and buy the games again

I don't think he realizes that if he loses valve is going to push for all their lawyers time just for wasting theirs.. will be funny if it comes back to bite him in the ass

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

I don't care about his interests, if I found someone cheating in my game I'd permaban him immediately there would be no temporary banning to contest.

Fuck cheaters and fuck him I hate them with a passion.

I don't think cheaters deserve any less than a permanent ban. Also if the ToS had changed he must've accepted the change meaning he accepted the punishment he recieved.

Deserving has nothing to do with this: you cannot be retroactively be held accountable to terms of service that didn't apply at the time.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If GabeN doesn't show up, he'll have to pay $10,500 (supposedly). The man's worth 1 billion dollars I don't think that's enough to get his attention.

If he shows up I hope the judge asks if Halflife 3 is in the making.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Deserving has nothing to do with this: you cannot be retroactively be held accountable to terms of service that didn't apply at the time.

I am assuming the new ToS states they may reexamine previous ban ands extend those they deem fit due to this situation. Which he then would've had to accept the terms to. Regardless of if they were in circulation when he recieved punishment for his actions, if he accepted a ToS revision to the usage of Steam he is suceptable to any changes. If Valve decided they wanted the ability to take your games out of your library as payment for using thier service. If you accept the ToS revision they can do that. The other option is to stop using the service. Basically this is what the lawyers will say and this kid (or adult I don't even know) will lose.

I am assuming the new ToS states they may reexamine previous ban ands extend those they deem fit due to this situation. 

That doesn't makes it a legal contract. You cannot change terms and then apply them retroactively, period. Even if a contract reserves the right to change the terms they cannot be applied retroactively, the case has merits and Valve are fucking assholes for even attempting to enforce this.

-------

Current Rig

-------

That doesn't makes it a legal contract. You cannot change terms and then apply them retroactively, period. Even if a contract reserves the right to change the terms they cannot be applied retroactively, the case has merits and Valve are fucking assholes for even attempting to enforce this.

Valve is a company, it would be the legal department who are assholes which most people in any sort of legal profession usually are. regardless, Valve probably will win or just make an out of court settlement to this dude for the same amount of money.

EDIT: Perhaps I should re-word it, the way he explains it makes it seem the ToS was changed that Valve could revise current bans and extend them if deemed fit. I'm assuming the change in ToS was NOT changing the punishment for the act of cheating but allows Valve to re-evaluate previous bans and change the length of time the bans occur for. If we look at this from a different stand-point. If you owned a game server and you temporarily banned someone for breaking the rules but upon further examination came to the conclusion his offence warranted an extension or reduction it would not be wrong. Also if Valve revised his ban to be shorter do you think he would be complaining or sueing Valve? No. It's only because his ban was lengthened for something he never should of done in the first place. Furthermore the ToS probably states the Cheating is at the disgretion of Valve for the length of punishment and is not defined. Therefore an indefinitive is open-ended and Valve can lengthen or sorten the punishment as they see fit.

you are missing the point. Like i said before, I do not agree with the cheating, but the fact that they put these permanent bans in place because a user had a temporary ban in the past is all kinds of wrong. Imagine if you are going to college and when you enter they require a C or better on your high school transcripts to enter and you get a C in one class. So then you get in and after 4 years of hard work you get kicked out of the school because they now only want students that have a B or better on your transcripts. That is no different from what valve is doing here.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

you are missing the point. Like i said before, I do not agree with the cheating, but the fact that they put these permanent bans in place because a user had a temporary ban in the past is all kinds of wrong. Imagine if you are going to college and when you enter they require a C or better on your high school transcripts to enter and you get a C in one class. So then you get in and after 4 years of hard work you get kicked out of the school because they now only want students that have a B or better on your transcripts. That is no different from what valve is doing here.

It's very different, what Valve did is lengthen the ban of someone based on thier own discretion, something you have to comply to when using their service. Valve may choose the length of your ban and revise it as they wish. He states that his ban was lengthened due to a revision in the ToS which is possible however I find it highly more likely Valve just determined his actions warrented a much longer ban. Since the ban length is arbitrary and undefined Vavle has to come up with the definition of the ban length. If the ToS has a definitive "Overwatch bans are an 8 month ban" which was then revised to "Overwatch bans are now permanent" ina  later ToS. That's wrong, what I think is the issue is in the ToS there is surely something like this "Overwatch (or bans in general) are at the discrestion of VAC and Valve personnel" which means they may revise bans at thier own will. Which he accepted the possibility of.

EDIT: Regardless I don't wish to argue anymore so we will see how this turns out and whether I am right or wrong. I will accept either when this issue is resolved.

This guy is an idiot in the first place. Valve will win just on the basis that they can change their terms at any time they want and the end user has to accept that or not use the service. Cheat? Get banned. Simple as that.

Steam didn't need to change the terms of service. Cheating has always been against the terms of service. This guy is just a d*ck.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Steam didn't need to change the terms of service. Cheating has always been against the terms of service. This guy is just a d*ck.

Exactly, but even if they do change their ToS during a period of being banned or the like the person cannot argue with it.