XFX RX 7600 big problem with auto boosting itself to the point of crashing

Hey there, I'm not entirely new to this forum, but it is my first time posting anything after just making this account just to post about this horrible issue I've had with this GPU.

In a nutshell, the XFX RX 7600 that I brought a few weeks ago had started having some big issues where the card would try to overclock itself to 2900+ mhz and crashing completely (At first I thought it would've have to be the shitty PSU I had, but I changed it to a Corsair RM750E (after seeing LTT video about First POV on how to build a computer) and triple checked that everything was connected correctly.

I could eventually solve the issue by downloading the drivers with the minimal version of adrenalin and having MSI afterburner downclock the gpu to 2300 mhz, but here is where the big annoyance that almost caused me to have a heart-attack while solving the issue comes from:

. Adrenalin NEEDS to be minimal version, if the full version was installed, the settings that adrenalin has for DEFAULT would still enable the gpu to overclock and shit itself to bed.

. MSI afterburner NEEDS to be open (or at least minimized), if I ever decided to have it closed, even in minimal version, it would overclock and crash.

. OCCT would crash my PC if I ran the power test, because it would also bypass MSI afterburner and crash my pc once my gpu reached 2900+ mhz.

This is the issue I've been having and that made me raise a ticket to the page I brought the GPU from to get it changed.

I'm pretty sure I could have also solved the issue by giving more voltage to the card, but I don't know about overvolting nor do I want to mess with it.

Wanted to let that be known, and if you have had this issue also please tell me so I know I'm not the only one and going crazy over it.

Since it's automatically overclocking adrenaline could be doing that. Is the auto overclock setting turned on? If not try turning it to the auto undervolt and see if that works. If none of those works delete afterburner DDU the drivers and re-install. I have a 6700 XT and have never had this issue.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

I've already done all of that, auto undervolt if anything made my issues worse, because the GPU would have less power and would crash sooner. I've already DDU'd tens of times to solve the issue, and I was running on default settings on adrenaline (I would have tried to underclock from there, but AMD took that option away long ago). Like I already explained, the only way to get adrenaline to not fuck my GPU was by having minimum mode adrenalin which didn't had the tuning software and therefore it wouldn't mess with MSI afterburner. I would've have used driver only, but I have a Freesync monitor and it wouldn't work without adrenalin installed.

The problem with Adrenalin was that It never tried to stop my GPU from running faster than it could at default voltage. (I blame XFX there for trying to factory overclock the hell out of the RX 7600 QICK 308)

3 minutes ago, JCLVossler said:

I've already done all of that, auto undervolt if anything made my issues worse, because the GPU would have less power and would crash sooner. I've already DDU'd tens of times to solve the issue, and I was running on default settings on adrenaline (I would have tried to underclock from there, but AMD took that option away long ago). Like I already explained, the only way to get adrenaline to not fuck my GPU was by having minimum mode adrenalin which didn't had the tuning software and therefore it wouldn't mess with MSI afterburner. I would've have used driver only, but I have a Freesync monitor and it wouldn't work without adrenalin installed.

The problem with Adrenalin was that It never tried to stop my GPU from running faster than it could at default voltage. (I blame XFX there for trying to factory overclock the hell out of the RX 7600 QICK 308)

The QICK 308 has 2 BIOSes, the behavior happens on both BIOS?

big man big w!

Just now, ProBottler said:

The QICK 308 has 2 BIOSes, the behavior happens on both BIOS?

Yep, I believe the second one is a mining BIOS? it didn't change a thing either way.

Just to note, this issue started happening after the most recent windows update, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it.

Right now increased the speed of the GPU to 2550 and it holds up, I guess if I just went to 2650 approx., it would still work as it should, so it gives me more confidence that what was happening was the factory overclocking being fucked.

1 minute ago, JCLVossler said:

Just to note, this issue started happening after the most recent windows update, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it.

Right now increased the speed of the GPU to 2550 and it holds up, I guess if I just went to 2650 approx., it would still work as it should, so it gives me more confidence that what was happening was the factory overclocking being fucked.

If the only thing that changed is the Windows Update, I would suspect that being the culprit atm. But still, there's little info to confirm.

big man big w!

3 hours ago, JCLVossler said:

The 7600 should not be allowed to boost beyond 2800Mhz.

Set Max frequency in Adrenaline to 2800 or lower.

Delete all overclock profiles and disable Apply at startup in Afterburner. This is to avoid conflicting OC configuration

You can still set a custom fan curve and play with overlay settings in Afterburner. If you set a framerate cap, apply through one but not both Adrenaline and Afterburner.

As a last resort, reduce the power limit % in Adrenaline so that the GPU will not boost to a frequency that requires more power than you have allowed.

9 hours ago, Salted Spinach said:

The 7600 should not be allowed to boost beyond 2800Mhz.

Set Max frequency in Adrenaline to 2800 or lower.

Delete all overclock profiles and disable Apply at startup in Afterburner. This is to avoid conflicting OC configuration

You can still set a custom fan curve and play with overlay settings in Afterburner. If you set a framerate cap, apply through one but not both Adrenaline and Afterburner.

As a last resort, reduce the power limit % in Adrenaline so that the GPU will not boost to a frequency that requires more power than you have allowed.

Thats the thing, Adrenalin no longer allows you to set clock speed for the gpu in custom tuning, it only allows you to modify the fan speed, memory module speed, and voltage. At least the most recent version.

HEY THERE!

Wanted to re-open the topic with a big discovery I made!

I said in the post, OCCT would crash my pc and reboot.

But in truth, not only was OCCT running in the background all along, I was able to run both Cinebench (multi-core) and Furmark 2 simultaneously (to put the PSU at full load), and it WOULD NOT crash.

What the F*** is going on here? so that should sort out a PSU or energy delivery problem entirely right?

As an added bonus, I also reset CMOS battery and nothing changed, It HAS to be a GPU problem at this point, right? What could OCCT Power test be doing that Furmark 2 and Cinebench r23 are not doing?

Leaving videos I uploaded to onedrive on the tests.

VID_20240518_185116.mp4

VID_20240518_185954.mp4