My GPU Fans Are Stopping Working While Gaming

Curesto
1 minute ago, Levent said:

That is because your card is also missing 2 fans and currently has 1 wrong sized fan trying to cool a 250w card.

Take it apart, clean it, buy appropriate fans, apply fresh thermal paste, apply fresh thermal pads, assemble it, use it.

Waste of money. Get the 3 OEM fans listed instead if you are looking to splurge.

Fans sometimes starts spinning but it still overheats.

Also for broken fans, i'm thinking about the get 2 85mm Dual-X fans for side fans. No idea about middle fan.

1 minute ago, Levent said:

We been through this many many many times.

That is because your card is also missing 2 fans and currently has 1 wrong sized fan trying to cool a 250w card.

Ahem @Curesto, obviously you need to get rid of the dust, but if this is true, what in the heck are you expecting lmao

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Dust will do that.

I'm sorry what?

They have been following my posts. Yes, my GPU has wrong sized middle fan and failing side fans.

Just now, Curesto said:

They have been following my posts. Yes, my GPU has wrong sized middle fan and failing side fans.

Then get new ones. If you expect good thermals with wrong/broken/wrong sized fans you're wrong

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Dust will do that.

I'm sorry what?

Two original fans are dead. Middle one is not original and is the only left working. OP constantly rejects getting fans instead looks at "alternative medicine" type of solutions

4 minutes ago, Curesto said:

Fans sometimes starts spinning but it still overheats.

Also for broken fans, i'm thinking about the get 2 85mm Dual-X fans for side fans. No idea about middle fan.

for the 4th time, your card has 3 95mm fans from factory. I have even listed oe replacement ones the thread above. All your graphics card related issues are due to the state of this card. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I wouldn't be too afraid of replacing paste.  You're just unscrewing a few things, removing some fan headers, doing the paste, then backing out of everything you just did.  Just get some instructions for which screws have to be removed and it's about as simple a job as it gets.  One pointer: keep an eye on the cooling pads that bridge the VRMs to the cooler.  If they move, make sure to put them back (I would NOT replace them unless you know exactly how thick they're supposed to be).

But yes, replace the fans while you're disassembling the thing.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

4 minutes ago, Levent said:

Two original fans are dead. Middle one is not original and is the only left working. OP constantly rejects getting fans instead looks at "alternative medicine" type of solutions

for the 4th time, your card has 3 95mm fans from factory. I have even listed oe replacement ones the thread above. All your graphics card related issues are due to the state of this card. 

I'm currenly not have enough money to replace the fans, i think best thing to do now is not gaming and try to save money for replacement fans.

Also judging by the TDP's website, the middle fan looks little bit smaller than the side fans.

2708-front.small.jpg.d895e35d1a02c22f649b4a9568e61f39.jpg

5 minutes ago, Curesto said:

I'm currenly not have enough money to replace the fans, i think best thing to do now is not gaming and try to save money for replacement fans.

Sure, then save up. But stop asking about as @Leventputs it "alternative medicine" (good one btw lol) solutions. Clean the card and get new fans. Easy as that.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Curesto said:

I'm currenly not have enough money to replace the fans

But you have enough to pay someone to clean and repaste your card?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

19 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

But you have enough to pay someone to clean and repaste your card?

Not sure about that.

1 hour ago, Curesto said:

Homie, re-pasting your card isn't going to fix it. You need fans.

1 hour ago, Levent said:

Oh my god.

You need to safe up for more fans. you can also dust the gpu with any electric duster for example.

if you have only 1 working fan in the middle damage can and probably has been done. middle fan probably only cools the gpu core. not the memory or the VRM. 

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

1 hour ago, SavageNeo said:

You need to safe up for more fans. you can also dust the gpu with any electric duster for example.

if you have only 1 working fan in the middle damage can and probably has been done. middle fan probably only cools the gpu core. not the memory or the VRM. 

I agree. It's impossible to gaming with that GPU at the moment, only able to play Terraria and CS at the moment.

Hi, i want to clean and change my GPU'S thermal paste.

What should i do?

GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 

IMG_20210421_170103_353.thumb.jpg.28fcbc87cf6aa4c432d1b8da45ad055c.jpg

IMG_20210421_170111_430.thumb.jpg.76529464b67535ae3beceba0b9a963f5.jpg

Start by taking the screws out of the backplate and then go from there. Just look at what the screws hold and take out the ones you need to. You should make sure that you know where to put the screws when putting it back tohether. Make a quick drawing on paper and place the screws on the point where you took them out for example.

You can also check out GamersNexus on youtube. They have many GPU teardowns on their channel. While there might not be one for your specific GPU, they mostly use the same few methods of mounting a cooler. So watch a few of these videos and you should be ready to try it.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

7 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Start by taking the screws out of the backplate and then go from there. Just look at what the screws hold and take out the ones you need to. You should make sure that you know where to put the screws when putting it back tohether. Make a quick drawing on paper and place the screws on the point where you took them out for example.

You can also check out GamersNexus on youtube. They have many GPU teardowns on their channel. While there might not be one for your specific GPU, they mostly use the same few methods of mounting a cooler. So watch a few of these videos and you should be ready to try it.

Thanks. I wasn't able to remove screws on the backplate. None of my screwdrivers was able to fit on these screws.

Ok. 
you see those stickers on the back? The little round ones? Take those off. then remove ll of the screws. they will probably be diffrent so keep track of which goes where.

then remove the bracket, doing only one or two full rotations on each screw before moving on to the next. 

then you can remove the bracket and the backplate. 
Take picture and we can help more from there.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Ok. 
you see those stickers on the back? The little round ones? Take those off. then remove ll of the screws. they will probably be diffrent so keep track of which goes where.

then remove the bracket, doing only one or two full rotations on each screw before moving on to the next. 

then you can remove the bracket and the backplate. 
Take picture and we can help more from there.

Those are not stickers, but brass sockets for the screws. Backplate is screwed from the frond side.

I have 280x Toxic, which uses the same coller. It is held on by 4 main screws around the GPU, and two black ones on the IO. Watch the fan cables as they are bit short.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

30 minutes ago, G27Racer_188 said:

Those are not stickers, but brass sockets for the screws. Backplate is screwed from the frond side.

I have 280x Toxic, which uses the same coller. It is held on by 4 main screws around the GPU, and two black ones on the IO. Watch the fan cables as they are bit short.

Yes, i'm worrying about the fan cables, they are look like they're gonna break off as i remove the heatsink from the PCB.

2 minutes ago, Curesto said:

Yes, i'm worrying about the fan cables, they are look like they're gonna break off as i remove the heatsink from the PCB.

They are not that bad. You just have to be careful if the paste is really sticky and you have to use lot of force to break it off, as then it may be hard to stop before you yank the cables.

IIRC, when I opened mine I tried lift it off so the pivot point is on the edge of the card near the fan connectors (card laying on the backplate) to avoid damaging them. Anyway, after you unstick it from the gpu, unplug the fans (with a flathead screwdriver, both connectors have like "wings" you can use to pry them), and only then can you really remove it fully. Annoying part is that when the cooler is held by only fan wires you can rotate it only about 90 degrees, so you cant really lay it flat to unplug the fans. My recommendation is to get another pair of hands to help you.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

The best thing to do would be to refer to a video teardown for your card. I think this is the same model as yours:

This guy pulled out the fan headers from the wires and it was fine, but I would suggest trying to get a fingernail under the plastic if you can instead (or just leave them plugged in). Those wires can be snapped or yanked out with alarming ease.

I wouldn't expect miracles from this if you're also dealing with some fan issues, but it's an old enough card that a re-paste isn't the worst idea.

55 minutes ago, typographie said:

The best thing to do would be to refer to a video teardown for your card. I think this is the same model as yours:

This guy pulled out the fan headers from the wires and it was fine, but I would suggest trying to get a fingernail under the plastic if you can instead (or just leave them plugged in). Those wires can be snapped or yanked out with alarming ease.

I wouldn't expect miracles from this if you're also dealing with some fan issues, but it's an old enough card that a re-paste isn't the worst idea.

It overheats even fans are spinning(75-80 degrees even at %25 usage), i assume that it's because of thermal paste is dried up.

nevermind, already posted the video

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>