My GPU Fans Are Stopping Working While Gaming

Curesto
2 minutes ago, tdkid said:

that is probably going to be your best and only solution as far as i can tell. since you bought it used they are not going to allow you to RMA it especially since the first owner probably didnt get the extended warranty on it.

Thanks. Also, what does RMA mean?

RMA means a variety of different things in the real world depending on the context of the conversation. when it comes to computer parts it means in simple terms to return the part to the manufacturer What is RMA (Return Materials Authorization)? (computerhope.com)

i dont know where you got this one but you could try looking at facebook marketplace. just be warned that some or most might be scammers.

On 3/16/2021 at 9:59 PM, Curesto said:

Is there's a way to force fans to spin?

Yes, of the card supports it. There is many different utilities for that like overclocking utilities etc. google is your best friend 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, my R9 280X's 2 fans aren't spinning. Because of this, GPU instantly hits 98 degrees of celsius in heavy load. Fans sometimes spins, sometimes not or stops spinning.

I have this problem over 10 months and tried everything.

GPU model: Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit

Fan sensor couldn't be detected either GPU-Z or HWinfo. 

t.gif.763e3269a4b455b21185ee7a09c10aaa.gif

1381092519_EkranAlnts.PNG.f0fc5767bcdcda1210fcd2b6769c5776.PNG

(GPU is clean now, photo was taken before the GPU was cleaned)

IMG_20201225_005334_056.jpg

5 minutes ago, Curesto said:

Hi, my R9 280X's 2 fans aren't spinning. Because of this, GPU instantly hits 98 degrees of celsius in heavy load. Fans sometimes spins, sometimes not or stops spinning.

I have this problem over 10 months and tried everything.

Fan sensor couldn't be detected either GPU-Z or HWinfo. 

t.gif.763e3269a4b455b21185ee7a09c10aaa.gif

1381092519_EkranAlnts.PNG.f0fc5767bcdcda1210fcd2b6769c5776.PNG

IMG_20201225_005334_056.jpg

fans often connected to the same cable so it's possible that 2 of them having bearings problem. sensors can withstand a LOT of heat, more that your chipset can. were those two fans noisy weeks before dying?

8 minutes ago, MAXXPRO said:

fans often connected to the same cable so it's possible that 2 of them having bearings problem. sensors can withstand a LOT of heat, more that your chipset can. were those two fans noisy weeks before dying?

They're bit noisy, fan sometimes starts spinning and sensor becomes detected again, but after reaching to %50-60 fan speed, fans are stopping working, and sensor becomes undetected again. This causes overheating and throttling.

7 minutes ago, Curesto said:

and sensor becomes detected again

lol silly me, I though you were talking about GPU sensors, yes.. buy new fans

1 hour ago, MAXXPRO said:

lol silly me, I though you were talking about GPU sensors, yes.. buy new fans

So, the fans are dead then, is there's a way to fix them?

8 minutes ago, Curesto said:

So, the fans are dead then, is there's a way to fix them?

greasing the bearing could help but you will need to remove the sticker, drill a hole to get inside. after application seal again with adhesive.

for me it's not worth di hassle, Just buy the same 3 new fans or 2 standard (silent) fans, attach them with cable ties and power them with molex

1 minute ago, MAXXPRO said:

greasing the bearing could help but you will need to remove the sticker, drill a hole to get inside. after application seal again with adhesive.

for me it's not worth di hassle, Just buy the same 3 new fans or 2 standard (silent) fans, attach them with cable ties and power them with molex

I'm thinking about to add 3 80mm fans to the heatsink.

Hi, i have an Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit GPU.

It has 3 fans and 2 90mm ones are dead, refuses to spin.

That causes overheating and throttling.

I'm thinking about the adding 3X 80mm or 92mm case fans to it, but i don't have any idea how to montage fans to the heatsink.

GPU has fairly large heatsink measures about 307mm..

But the problem is, i'm too afraid to take it apart, as i've never done that before. Because of that, i'm also thinking about adding case fans side of the GPU to hope make it run cooler.

Is 3X80mm fans would fit this heatsink or i need bigger fans?

Thanks.

Here's the pictures of GPU:

2 90mm black ones are dead.

IMG_20210319_224350_461.thumb.jpg.826839a4b5eefdc37fb034cba1e630d9.jpg

IMG_20210319_224326_120.thumb.jpg.2d9b8d8025816af5ca25430d7d562b88.jpg

Literally the same card. Your card is absolutely disgusting, plus whoever installed the middle fan didnt use appropriate one. Replacement fans are available where you live, contact seller if you are not sure if these fans works for your card or not. You also should (probably must by looking at your card) new thermal paste and appropriate thermal pads.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

41 minutes ago, Levent said:

Literally the same card. Your card is absolutely disgusting, plus whoever installed the middle fan didnt use appropriate one. Replacement fans are available where you live, contact seller if you are not sure if these fans works for your card or not. You also should (probably must by looking at your card) new thermal paste and appropriate thermal pads.

Thanks. The fan in the link is way too expensive, you can get 20 80mm fans with total same price.

51 minutes ago, Levent said:

Also, i've never noticed that middle fan isn't orginal one when i got this card from used market.

20 minutes ago, Curesto said:

Thanks. The fan in the link is way too expensive, you can get 20 80mm fans with total same price.

You are getting 3 95mm fans, that are made for your card and will be controlled by your card. I don't know what 80mm fan you are getting but, if you are paying more than 20-30TL for one, to be used for this purpose, you are over paying. Either way, you will need thermal paste and appropriate pads too. You won't be getting out of this project for that cheap.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

19 hours ago, Levent said:

You are getting 3 95mm fans, that are made for your card and will be controlled by your card. I don't know what 80mm fan you are getting but, if you are paying more than 20-30TL for one, to be used for this purpose, you are over paying. Either way, you will need thermal paste and appropriate pads too. You won't be getting out of this project for that cheap.

I have Xigmatek PTI-G3606 thermal paste and thermal pads. I think i will get 3 92mm case fans and mount them to the heatsink with zip ties. I've bought this GPU for 440 TL from used market, if i buy these fans, it will be more expensive than GPU's itself.

3 hours ago, Curesto said:

3 92mm 2000 RPM fans are okay for this GPU?

If you get non-original fans, you CANNOT connect them through the graphic card's on-board controller.

@Levent is recommending you get replacement factory / Sapphire fans, so it can be controlled and monitored through the AMD driver software.

If you want to just fix the two 85mm fans...you can get this:

https://urun.n11.com/sogutucu-ve-fan/sapphire-hd7950-3g-gddr5-extreme-edition-oc-85mm-fan-fd7010h12s-P284439944

Whoever replaced the middle fan....WTF.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1 hour ago, -rascal- said:

If you get non-original fans, you CANNOT connect them through the graphic card's on-board controller.

@Levent is recommending you get replacement factory / Sapphire fans, so it can be controlled and monitored through the AMD driver software.

If you want to just fix the two 85mm fans...you can get this:

https://urun.n11.com/sogutucu-ve-fan/sapphire-hd7950-3g-gddr5-extreme-edition-oc-85mm-fan-fd7010h12s-P284439944

Whoever replaced the middle fan....WTF.

It was an mistake buying this card, i still regret it to this very day, can't play anything higher than Terraria and CS:GO because it's overheating. I'm thinking to connect them into the motherboard and keep them run at maximum speed. Because replacement fans are too expensive for me and i can't afford them.

iirc my fans are 90mm.

Hi, my R9 280X has  too much dust on heatsink.

And it needs new thermal paste as it instantly heats up when in load at around %30-40 usage. I'm not playing much demanding games.

But, i'm too afraid to change thermal paste of the GPU.

What should i do?

I'm thinking about the give GPU to someone to clean it and change thermal paste for me.

I've tried to clean this dust with hair dryer but no success.

Here's the picture of GPU on PCI-E slot. dust can be seen, could this much dust cause GPU to overheat?

IMG_20210419_023256_071.thumb.jpg.5662d0aa24c5aa572a850be1214a47af.jpg

Dust it well and check your temps before jumping to changing your thermal paste.

We been through this many many many times.

And it needs new thermal paste as it instantly heats up when in load at around %30-40 usage. I'm not playing much demanding games.

That is because your card is also missing 2 fans and currently has 1 wrong sized fan trying to cool a 250w card.

What should i do?

Take it apart, clean it, buy appropriate fans, apply fresh thermal paste, apply fresh thermal pads, assemble it, use it.

I'm thinking about the give GPU to someone to clean it and change thermal paste for me.

Waste of money. Get the 3 OEM fans listed instead if you are looking to splurge.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Dust it well and check your temps before jumping to changing your thermal paste.

95 degree around %50-60 usage and starts throttling.

1 minute ago, Curesto said:

95 degree around %50-60 usage and starts throttling.

Dust will do that.

1 minute ago, Levent said:

That is because your card is also missing 2 fans and currently has 1 wrong sized fan trying to cool a 250w card.

I'm sorry what?