My GPU Fans Are Stopping Working While Gaming

Curesto

That card is very dirty and seems it might have some corrosion close to the power connectors. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

16 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Do the fans spin freely when not powered, or do they have some friction?

Yes, they spin perfectly.

14 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

That card is very dirty and seems it might have some corrosion close to the power connectors. 

I'm afraid to damage GPU. That's why i can't change themal paste or clean it.

If all else fails, you can get some cheap heatsink fans that are about the same size and have them run at full blast when cpu temps hit like 55°C. Generally both will be getting hit when gaming and unless you have a really good cooler 55°C on the CPU should be around the temp your gpu needs air desperately. Or just run them balls to the wall all the time and remove the dead fans.

On 2/22/2021 at 8:19 AM, BiotechBen said:

@Curesto is the room you use this in very very humid?

No, not at all.

On 2/22/2021 at 8:22 AM, BiotechBen said:

If all else fails, you can get some cheap heatsink fans that are about the same size and have them run at full blast when cpu temps hit like 55°C. Generally both will be getting hit when gaming and unless you have a really good cooler 55°C on the CPU should be around the temp your gpu needs air desperately. Or just run them balls to the wall all the time and remove the dead fans.

I'm thinking about the replacing them with 120MM X2 or 92MM X3 fans. But, i don't know which one better choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i have an Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit model GPU.

Detailed Explanation:

It has some fan issue that 2 big 90mm fans are not spinning, only middle fan spinning. I've noticed this problem while i was playing Battlefield 1 about 7 months ago.

I've been searching for months for answers but haven't found any solutions yet.

GPU's normal clock speeds are: Core: 1100 MHz Memory:1600MHz (6,4 Gbps)

When i enter an game that cause GPU to high load, the temps are instantly hits 95 degrees and starts to throttling, first thorttling GPU clock downed to 1000 MHz memory speed is same there's only a little performance loss then it still passes 95 degrees after minutes then GPU drops 501 MHz memory speed is still same, there's a serious performance loss, about 40-50 FPS. After that GPU runs around 87-94 degrees of celsius even sometimes passes 95 degrees and drops 150 MHz Clock and 300 MHz clock, then GPU becomes an GT 710. 

Like this:(In World Of Warships, GPU only runs at it's %50 to give stable 60 FPS, when throttling it becomes this)

WorldOfWarships64_2021_03_01_23_37_00_452.thumb.png.d5f2f9187da07884fde4397d344cdc78.png

Weirdest things are;

I thought my GPU fans are dead, but sometimes they start spinning again but stops spinning after running high RPM for about only an minute.

Fans sometimes spins when i start PC, sometimes not spins.

Interestingly, when fans spins while PC's booting, in GPU-Z and MSI Afterburner GPU fan sensor are working and showing RPM, but when starts without spinning, GPU fan sensors are ain't detecting, even they're start spinning when PC is booted.

Like this:

gpu.gif.45fe818c1d7006a27f476af4f812756d.gif

I couldn't get fans to work even with MSI Afterburner. Not matter what i'd do, fans are doesn't spin at all.

111021983_EkranAlnts.PNG.f12aa363b4f36832f8ec312d678bba20.PNG

Are fans are simply dead or there's a different problem?

Thanks.

The issue: (Only middle 80mm fans spinning, 2 90mm fans are ain't spinning)

IMG_20210316_230145_415.thumb.jpg.289601323788529e6040bf8c15aa0610.jpg

Sometimes when the gpu fans don’t spin is because it’s not under too much load. Could be that or that the sensor could be broken.

My Sapphire Tri-X 290X 8GB will only spin the left and right fan up when the GPU reaches 60C. Yours may be the same.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

2 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

My Sapphire Tri-X 290X 8GB will only spin the left and right fan up when the GPU reaches 60C. Yours may be the same.

But, mine never spins, no matter how much temperature the GPU's at.

try reseating the GPU first, it might haver just got a little out of line

2 minutes ago, tdkid said:

try reseating the GPU first, it might haver just got a little out of line

I've tried it 3 times

16 minutes ago, EXEM0N said:

Sometimes when the gpu fans don’t spin is because it’s not under too much load. Could be that or that the sensor could be broken.

Is there's a way to force fans to spin?

that sucks. the only thing i know to do would be to RMA it. but before that, did you recently do a drivers update? 

3 minutes ago, tdkid said:

that sucks. the only thing i know to do would be to RMA it. but before that, did you recently do a drivers update? 

I've been using Adrenalin 2.1.1.1 about  for 1.5 months.

Before that, i've tried 10 different drivers.

Could MSI Afterburner causing this problem? I've been using MSI Afterburner about for 1 years.

2 minutes ago, Curesto said:

I've been using Adrenalin 2.1.1.1 about  for 1.5 months.

Before that, i've tried 10 different drivers.

Could MSI Afterburner causing this problem? I've been using MSI Afterburner about for 1 years.

is there a way to see what the temps are in different sections of the GPU?

Screenshot (144).png

19 minutes ago, tdkid said:

is there a way to see what the temps are in different sections of the GPU?

Screenshot (144).png

I will try to see. Does this software supports Sapphire cards?

4 minutes ago, Curesto said:

I will try to see. Does this software supports Sapphire cards?

as far as i can tell no, its EVGA.

when did you get that GPU?

7 minutes ago, tdkid said:

as far as i can tell no, its EVGA.

when did you get that GPU?

From GPU-Z: VRM temperature says 0 degrees.

vv.gif.3a9227da290a5695f0c11f96fe0324fb.gif

5 minutes ago, Curesto said:

From GPU-Z: VRM temperature says 0 degrees.

vv.gif.3a9227da290a5695f0c11f96fe0324fb.gif

i looked into the release date of the card and it is old, 8-9 years old so as far as i can tell it has reached the end of its life, so you might want to look into getting a replacement for it. and if your VRM temps are showing 0 then its probably a safe bet to say that they have died and are no longer properly working which is why the fans dont spin and your temps get up so high.

1 minute ago, tdkid said:

i looked into the release date of the card and it is old, 8-9 years old so as far as i can tell it has reached the end of its life, so you might want to look into getting a replacement for it. and if your VRM temps are showing 0 then its probably a safe bet to say that they have died and are no longer properly working which is why the fans dont spin and your temps get up so high.

I couldn't afford new one. But gpu works perfectly fine there's no crashes or any gpu problems. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Curesto said:

I couldn't afford new one. But gpu works perfectly fine there's no crashes or any gpu problems. Thanks.

well lets just say you were considering replacing it just for simplicity sake. what would your budget be for a new GPU?

1 hour ago, tdkid said:

well lets just say you were considering replacing it just for simplicity sake. what would your budget be for a new GPU?

Will not exceed 30$. Actually i've bought that GPU from used market in Feb 2020. It was working pretty fine until this problem appeared.

Just now, Curesto said:

Will not exceed 30$. Actually i've bought that GPU from used market in Feb 2020. It was working pretty fine until this problem appeared.

well then that was your issue. you bought a used out of date card that someone decided to get rid of when they bought their new 2000 series or 5500 series GPUs. if you were never going to plan on spending more than $30 for a new or even used GPU then you will not be getting a GPU at all, even without the short supply. a decent GPU would probably cost around $150 new. 

14 minutes ago, tdkid said:

well then that was your issue. you bought a used out of date card that someone decided to get rid of when they bought their new 2000 series or 5500 series GPUs. if you were never going to plan on spending more than $30 for a new or even used GPU then you will not be getting a GPU at all, even without the short supply. a decent GPU would probably cost around $150 new. 

Yes, i'm still regret to getting that GPU. I was only care about peformance, not the card's age and then this happened.

I'm thinking about the zip tie case fans to it.

Also, just checked sensors with HWinfo, it seems like all the sensors works well:

768606509_EkranAlnts.PNG.cd0e08c8532e2a8306dcc80cff6ea831.PNG

10 minutes ago, Curesto said:

Yes, i'm still regret to getting that GPU. I was only care about peformance, not the card's age and then this happened.

I'm thinking about the zip tie case fans to it.

Also, just checked sensors with HWinfo, it seems like all the sensors works well:

768606509_EkranAlnts.PNG.cd0e08c8532e2a8306dcc80cff6ea831.PNG

that is probably going to be your best and only solution as far as i can tell. since you bought it used they are not going to allow you to RMA it especially since the first owner probably didnt get the extended warranty on it.