Modern phones are pathetic

Vishera

Pictures will explain it better than words.

Nowdays:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the past:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Share your thoughts and have a fruitful discussion!

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Yes Phones were a lot better in the old days

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (8GBx2), Gigabyte B550M DS3H, GTX 1050 2GB, 650W Semi-Modular PSU80+ Gold

Phone: Poco F3 8GB + 256GB

Audio: Samson SR850s

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Play 4 USB sound card

IEM: planning to get the KBEAR KS2s
Please be patient with me, I'm fatally dumb and its honestly a miracle I've made it this far

Your arguments are rediculus. If you want a fruitful discussion say something that stands. If you don't like nitch then hide it, you can via software, jack stands exists on most non-flagship, and a few flagships; some have way better drivers for it. And there is no reason to remove battery, maybe after 3-5 years

17 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

If you don't like nitch then hide it

Software isn't as reliable as the real thing:

jack stands exists on most non-flagship

Yeah,using a jack stand on a bus or road trip is totally logical and practical.

And there is no reason to remove battery, maybe after 3-5 years

It's convenient to just swap the battery if you are in a place you can't charge,

Also when the time to replace the battery comes you will have to cut the glue,remove the glass without breaking it,and remove the glued battery without bending it.

Now you have to glue it back together and hope you didn't mess it up.

Seems like phones nowdays are made to be disposable.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

4 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Thing is that y you can use it OR go Bluetooth

I m sorry but your pics point out that jack is a great feture

4 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It's convenient to just swap the battery if you are in a place you can't charge

Instead of carrying a big battery with you that is actually dangerous, buy a power bank that is more practical. I stay away from electricity for days sometimes.

Also it's not a bad thing to give your smartphone to a technician after 3 years to replace battery. So the argument if glass break and glue removal, is a 20$ fix

I missed the headphone jack up until I got into wireless earbuds, which are overall more convenient and good enough audio-wise for when I'm on the go. 

I haven't really missed removable batteries a whole lot. I mean, when I'm at uni or whatever I'll have a powerbank on me, and when I'm just out and about I don't sit on my phone constantly anyway. 

My last phone with a removable battery was a Galaxy S5, and I'd much rather have the more premium and substantial feel in the hand of the phones I've used since (Moto X 2015 and iPhone 7) rather than the flimsy, cheap plastic panel that was on the back of my S5, which felt like a toy. 

just my take on it, it's all subjective after all

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, PeachGr said:

Instead of carrying a big battery with you that is actually dangerous, buy a power bank that is more practical.

Hmm,isn't a power bank a big battery too?...

Just now, PeachGr said:

Thing is that y you can use it OR go Bluetooth

I m sorry but your pics point out that jack is a great feture

And how will i use my studio headphones with that?,They have superior sound quality to any Bluetooth headphones out there.

Also you can use Bluetooth on old phones as well.

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

My last phone with a removable battery was a Galaxy S5, and I'd much rather have the more premium and substantial feel in the hand of the phones I've used since (Moto X 2015 and iPhone 7) rather than the flimsy, cheap plastic panel that was on the back of my S5, which felt like a toy. 

There were phones that felt premium back then but not much,for example the LG V20:

spacer.png

52 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Pictures will explain it better than words.

Nowdays:

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the past:

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Share your thoughts and have a fruitful discussion!

It's called progress? Fewer ports and moving parts are better for longevity and most people use wireless headphones now anyway. Also hardware and software is greatly improved in terms of SoC, Camera, security, usability and features. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Really wish my S4 note wasnt locked to AT&T. I really miss using it as my daily. I would give anything for an unlocked one with a battery expansion case. Would install lineage OS and it would run good as new.

Older phones really were the best.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

Despite all of what was pointed out at the end of the day after all the complaining, im fine with it. Though I wish more smaller phones existed in this sea of 6' flat bricks that barely fit in my pockets.

"In the past", proceeds to show modern high end smartphone. I guess I'm getting old, but not what I was expecting to see in a contrast between "modern" and "back then" lol.

My S10e still feels premium to me. The only thing I would miss is the 3.5mm jack because I like my earbuds wired.

30 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It is, but it has power control circuitry attached and is in an enclosure which prevents stuff from potentially damaging or puncturing the battery, resulting in a nasty fire.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 minute ago, tikker said:

It is, but it has power control circuitry attached and is in an enclosure which prevents stuff from potentially damaging or puncturing the battery, resulting in a nasty fire.

How can you puncture a battery that is shielded with thick plastic layer and has a protective case in addition?

Also i am certain that those older designs of smartphones batteries had power control circuitry attached,because we already carried them around like that at that era.

spacer.png

velvet v60 from LG has enhanced sound quality.
And having a dongle is not a big deal.
its a usb-c to audio jack, you put it in your studio headset bag and you are good to go.
And a power bank is not really the same as a big battery.
It is protected by a hard shell

Just now, PeachGr said:

It is protected by a hard shell

So are removable batteries...

Just now, PeachGr said:

And having a dongle is not a big deal.

Can you charge and use wired headphones at the same time?...

37 minutes ago, Vishera said:

How can you puncture a battery that is shielded with thick plastic layer and has a protective case in addition?

Also i am certain that those older designs of smartphones batteries had power control circuitry attached,because we already carried them around like that at that era.

<photo snip>

Well if you're carrying one around in such a case, then of course there is a lesser chance of puncturing it. I was thinking about carrying aroud a battery by itself. Also, since charging is done with it in the phone, the battery probably doesn't have any control circuitry. If you carry around a bulky plastic case with a battery, you might as well carry a powerbank which is the same except you can charge it separately from your phone as well.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

well yes. For the rare case that you actually need it you can charge and plug the headphones at the same time.

I really don't think you've thought a few of your opinions through.

For example, removable batteries. Sure, they were ok back in the day when screens were small, and we had to have thicker devices. The battery life on phones back then was also pretty bad, so it was handy to have a removable battery. However, fast forward to today. Screens are significantly larger, and the phones are thinner. Phones would have to be significantly thicker to accommodate a replaceable battery; something not many people are willing to trade for. Battery life is also monumentally better than it was back in those days, so the need to replace the battery during the day isn't really there except for the extreme power user. With the very high rate chargers available now, that's a non-issue.

Headphone jacks are becoming more and more obsolescent on mobile devices as BT headphones become cheaper, more compact, and better sounding. If you have a good enough pair of headphones that you want to take with you, you're probably better off using them with either a DAP or a proper AMP/DAC connected to the phone, which, surprise surprise, uses USB C. A phone can't power decent headphones properly, and the DACs are usually shit. Yes, there are very, very uncommon outliers like a couple of phones from LG, however that is the exception, not the norm.

The notch isn't great, but it's really not that bad. It's a stopgap while we wait for under display cameras to become good enough to make it to devices; something which should be happening this year. Apple's is the worse, yes, but phones with hole punches or small notches in the middle really aren't that bad.

Modern phones are pathetic? Right, with their exceptional cameras, 3x improvement to battery life while being smaller in stature, amazing looking, high refresh rate displays, gobs of storage, biometrics, stereo speakers....they're really awful compared to what we had 10 years ago. /s

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

It's convenient to just swap the battery if you are in a place you can't charge,

Also when the time to replace the battery comes you will have to cut the glue,remove the glass without breaking it,and remove the glued battery without bending it.

Now you have to glue it back together and hope you didn't mess it up.

Seems like phones nowdays are made to be disposable.

Most companies offer battery replacement for about $50 - $80, which isn't that far off the price that you would have paid for a replacement battery 10 years ago.

Considering that includes the labor costs, it's really not a bad deal. Want it cheaper? You can likely find a third party that would do it for less.

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

And how will i use my studio headphones with that?,They have superior sound quality to any Bluetooth headphones out there.

Also you can use Bluetooth on old phones as well.

There were phones that felt premium back then but not much,for example the LG V20:

If you have studio headphones your phone isn't going to be a great companion for them anyway.

1 hour ago, seapriestess said:

Really wish my S4 note wasnt locked to AT&T. I really miss using it as my daily. I would give anything for an unlocked one with a battery expansion case. Would install lineage OS and it would run good as new.

Older phones really were the best.

You should be able to get it unlocked, if you really want to use something that old.

You can easily get newer phones with better battery life though.

1 hour ago, Murasaki said:

Despite all of what was pointed out at the end of the day after all the complaining, im fine with it. Though I wish more smaller phones existed in this sea of 6' flat bricks that barely fit in my pockets.

You must have some skin tight, oddly proportioned pants.

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

spacer.png

Those were so thick, they'd be an absolute pain to carry around. A battery bank can be a lot slimmer, safer to carry, and if you purchase the right one, can charge the phone pretty quickly. You can also use it while you charge, so the whole "instant swap" argument really doesn't stand up.

37 minutes ago, Vishera said:

With a wireless battery bank, absolutely.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, seapriestess said:

Really wish my S4 note wasnt locked to AT&T

What does that mean?

so you can only use AT&T simcards?

that‘s criminal in my opinion 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

3 hours ago, Murasaki said:

You mean like my Sonim XP8 that weighs in at just under a pound? (A third of that weight is the replaceable 4900mAh Li-Ion battery) 😛

Sonim XP8's size

(Quote)"The Sonim XP8 is 3.1 inches (79.5 mm) wide, 6.0 inches (152 mm) tall, and 0.7 inches (18 mm) thick. The size makes it a bit difficult to use with one hand (If you are a Snowflake or have Linus hands). In the case of the Sonim XP8, it weighs about 335 oz (335 g). The phone feels quite heavy when used one-handed, and it's hard to hold for long periods. The weight isn't so much of a problem when used two-handed, but some people might still have issues when using it for long periods."

Alas.... the phone is nearly bulletproof...

phone.jpg

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

Since retiring a decade ago, i work out of a home office doing some consulting and managing several investment portfolios.  I don't need anything fancy and this phone works well for me:

Oldphoneworks :: Antique Phones :: Colour :: Blue Collection ...The rotary dial is so retro!

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

3 hours ago, PeachGr said:

If you don't like nitch then hide it, you can via software

This is kind of a redicilous argument, as you're still paying for that extra large screen that you're not using. Other than that I'd agree though.

49 minutes ago, dizmo said:

For example, removable batteries. Sure, they were ok back in the day when screens were small, and we had to have thicker devices. The battery life on phones back then was also pretty bad, so it was handy to have a removable battery. However, fast forward to today. Screens are significantly larger, and the phones are thinner. Phones would have to be significantly thicker to accommodate a replaceable battery;

Contradiction:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Headphone jacks are becoming more and more obsolescent on mobile devices as BT headphones become cheaper, more compact, and better sounding.

Bluetooth headphones are pretty expensive,and with the latency of Bluetooth it won't sound better than cable...

A phone can't power decent headphones properly

Citation needed.

The notch isn't great, but it's really not that bad.

Are you sure?:

Spoiler

spacer.png

3x improvement to battery life while being smaller in stature

Citation needed

amazing looking

The LG v20 doesn't look good?,the Note Edge doesn't look good?

Spoiler

spacer.png

gobs of storage

Do you really need 1TB of storage for just a phone?,

Also phones back in the day had Micro SD card slots for storage expansion.

exceptional cameras

Only a few have a good camera,My old Samsung camera from 12 years ago is way better than most of the phones currently in the market.

high refresh rate displays, biometrics

Gimmicks

If you have studio headphones your phone isn't going to be a great companion for them anyway.

It works great

Those were so thick, they'd be an absolute pain to carry around.

They are barely thicker than the batteries we have now.

With a wireless battery bank, absolutely.

The dongle life...no thanks.

52 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You must have some skin tight, oddly proportioned pants.

To be completely fair, larger phones can be a bit of a pain in the ass to keep in a pocket, especially when you're driving. I'd rather not look like I'm a boog larper by wearing cargo pants to carry a phone.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Oh wow... 6 pictures of the Note 4 and all of a sudden all modern phones are pathetic? That's your evidence? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Oh wow... 6 pictures of the Note 4 and all of a sudden all modern phones are pathetic? That's your evidence? 

It showed things that were standard back then,i can show photos of different phones from back then but the message is the same.