When Herman Miller Goes "Gamer"

jasonvp

Summary

Renown furniture maker Herman Miller, most noteworthy for their chairs like the Embody and Aeron has teamed up with Logitech (editorial: really?!) to release a "gamer" version of the Embody.  This isn't an inexpensive purchase at $1500US.  But good chairs aren't inexpensive.

Quotes

It’s the comfort — and the Embody has that in spades. Comfort in itself won’t exactly make you a better player, but it kept the right kind of pressure on my body so I could relax and be fully invested in what’s on the screen. If your livelihood as a pro gamer, or even your enjoyment as an enthusiast, relies on focus and logging a lot of hours in-game, your investment here will pay off quicker than it will for most other people.

My thoughts

Obviously this isn't directly "tech" related, but more a, "take care of your damned body while using your tech!" sort of thing.  I'm sure HM knows full well that they're not going to saturate the market with these chairs, even with the "gamer, yo!" tag on it.  Given they all come out of the same (small) factory in MI, a mass-market chair would overwhelm them in orders rapidly.  The message, mostly for "gamers" is that it's time to direct your money more appropriately.  $1500US is a fair chunk of coin, specially when the Embody it's based on is a couple of hundred less.  Either way, HM makes very expensive chairs and they're ergonomically perfect.  That's why you buy them.  That's why you stop buying new computers, or new GPUs, or new motherboards, or new... <insert tech toy here> and save your pennies.  Invest in that very expensive chair.

As one of the resident "old men" here, I can say without hesitation that having proper support and posture while seated for long periods of time is invaluable in the long run.  You might not notice it in the short term and that's part of the reason why you might flinch at the cost of entry.  Specially if you're younger and feel invulnerable (I was the same way in my teens and twenties).  You're... not.  And poor posture while you're sitting now will come back and haunt you in twenty years or less.

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/21331603/logitech-herman-miller-embody-gaming-pc-chair-comfort-price-design

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

1 minute ago, IronSoldier said:

Doesn't seem to have any RGB LEDs? 

Yeah.  Read HM's release on it.  Hehe.

https://store.hermanmiller.com/gaming/herman-miller-x-logitech-g-embody-gaming-chair/2517590.html

DOES THE CHAIR SUPPORT LIGHTSYNC?

It doesn't, but we're excited to keep updating our gaming products. Sign up for our newsletter to be the first to hear about future gaming updates.

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Looks like they took an existing chair, slapped some blue accents and a Logitech logo on it, and called it a day.

Hey, good on them I guess. They already make the chairs, they just had to brand it and market it to "gamers" to make some more money.

Honestly I think it is absolutely ridiculous they make "gaming chairs" anyway.

Am I the only one who just wants a chair that doesn't fall apart from nightly usage over the space of a year or two?

If it's not the seat eventually coming apart, it's the arm rests disintegrating, or the mesh back tearing slowly.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

"12 year warranty"  - Im curious what exactly is covered under that warranty, because otherwise I don't think Ive owned a computer/office chair that lasted nearly that long.
But I do agree. Good chairs costs good money, and I can't stand the cheapo $100 office chairs anymore. Granted the only thing holding me back from going with herman miller or such chair is thatI know my cat will destroy it... I mean she already did my Maxnomic chair...

5 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Am I the only one who just wants a chair that doesn't fall apart from nightly usage over the space of a year or two?

If it's not the seat eventually coming apart, it's the arm rests disintegrating, or the mesh back tearing slowly.

My first Aeron: 17 years.  The gas piston finally let go.  Had I brought it to a certified service tech, they probably could have repaired it properly in five minutes.  And I'd still be sitting on it.  But, no, I stupidly tried to fix it myself and destroyed the chair.  Heh.  After 17 years, the chair owed me nothing.

New Aeron just arrived last week.

The price is fine. I mean it is overpriced, but all chair are. 

After a lot of research and buying different chairs over the years. I say, save you money, and just buy a 1k+ chair. They last 15+ years. The rest, will, at best last 3 years before things starts falling apart (some failed apart after 6 months). That said, depending on where you live, you can find refurbs of these chairs or used one from defunct companies or individuals for a fraction of the price. You can sometimes find under 3-4 years old in excellent conditions and pay half price or even less. These are last longing chairs, so worth considering if you are on a budget. You might need to replace the wheels, which might get damaged during transport, but that is typically not a problem to replace.

Even the Autonomous.ai chair, was overhyped. You can see reports of issues after 3 years of ownership online.

I mean, if you get it at 300$, then compared to all 300-350$ it is good, as those dont' typically last that long. But not, a 5-10 year chair used daily for hours on end.

17 minutes ago, DeScruff said:

"12 year warranty"  - Im curious what exactly is covered under that warranty, because otherwise I don't think Ive owned a computer/office chair that lasted nearly that long.

Not Herman Miller, but I do know that Steelcase specifically lists what their 12 year warranty covers on their site. They also make super high end chairs. 

23 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

At work we have Hermine Miller Aero Chairs that are 20 years old. Feels nearly identical to our new ones. The only thing that broke is the replaceable lumbar support, but the company has improved it in the newer model. 

So it doesn’t have cupholders?

IMO a height adjustable desk and monitor will be better for your posture than a seat, and a better investment.

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

IMO a height adjustable desk and monitor will be better for your posture than a seat, and a better investment.

That's your opinion, but it's not factual.  Certainly, adjustable height desks and display stands are helpful, but how your hips position themselves in relation to your back and shoulders, and how your back is curved while seated is vastly more important.

1 minute ago, jasonvp said:

That's your opinion, but it's not factual.  Certainly, adjustable height desks and display stands are helpful, but how your hips position themselves in relation to your back and shoulders, and how your back is curved while seated is vastly more important.

isnt this kinda ymmv

comfort is different for everyone

1 minute ago, pas008 said:

isnt this kinda ymmv

comfort is different for everyone

Comfort is one thing.  Posture for health is another thing entirely.

1 hour ago, jasonvp said:

Comfort is one thing.  Posture for health is another thing entirely.

just saying still end user thing to adjust it correctly or buy the right size considering everyones body/hands/legs/arms is the same width height etc

ever sat in aeron A when you should be in a C?

just because its ergonomic doesnt mean its going to be right always ymmv on end user

4 minutes ago, pas008 said:

just saying still end user thing to adjust it correctly or buy the right size considering everyones body/hands/legs/arms is the same width height etc

ever sat in aeron A when you should be in a C?

just because its ergonomic doesnt mean its going to be right always ymmv on end user

Now you're moving the goal posts.  First it was comfort, now it's chair size.  I never said you should buy the wrong sized chair and not have a way to adjust that.  Not once.

Try again, please?  Or perhaps stop playing.

2 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

Now you're moving the goal posts.  First it was comfort, now it's chair size.  I never said you should buy the wrong sized chair and not have a way to adjust that.  Not once.

Try again, please?  Or perhaps stop playing.

no I said ymmv because of comfort which is part of ergonomics

just because something is labelled ergonomic doesnt mean its going to be the end all and be all

you brought in posture which has to do with end users,  this becomes ymmv because how they use said product or if they got right product for them

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

At work we have Hermine Miller Aero Chairs that are 20 years old. Feels nearly identical to our new ones. The only thing that broke is the replaceable lumbar support, but the company has improved it in the newer model. 

3 hours ago, jasonvp said:

My first Aeron: 17 years.  The gas piston finally let go.  Had I brought it to a certified service tech, they probably could have repaired it properly in five minutes.  And I'd still be sitting on it.  But, no, I stupidly tried to fix it myself and destroyed the chair.  Heh.  After 17 years, the chair owed me nothing.

New Aeron just arrived last week.

To both of you: But can this sort of longevity be achieved without costing me $1500?

I don't care about fancy features beyond adjusting the armrest height, the height of the chair, and the ability to tilt backwards.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

The price is fine. I mean it is overpriced, but all chair are. 

After a lot of research and buying different chairs over the years. I say, save you money, and just buy a 1k+ chair. They last 15+ years. The rest, will, at best last 3 years before things starts falling apart (some failed apart after 6 months). That said, depending on where you live, you can find refurbs of these chairs or used one from defunct companies or individuals for a fraction of the price. You can sometimes find under 3-4 years old in excellent conditions and pay half price or even less. These are last longing chairs, so worth considering if you are on a budget. You might need to replace the wheels, which might get damaged during transport, but that is typically not a problem to replace.

Even the Autonomous.ai chair, was overhyped. You can see reports of issues after 3 years of ownership online.

I mean, if you get it at 300$, then compared to all 300-350$ it is good, as those dont' typically last that long. But not, a 5-10 year chair used daily for hours on end.

I bought a Merax chair for $300 and it literally fell apart and dumped me on the floor, after 6 months.

Yes, I am a bit fat. 5ft. 11in. and about 250lbs, but for that price I would expect FAR more. I could build a better chair out of wood, for that price. (If I had a table saw. Something I had access to in HS, but no longer)

34 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

To both of you: But can this sort of longevity be achieved without costing me $1500?

I don't care about fancy features beyond adjusting the armrest height, the height of the chair, and the ability to tilt backwards.

I have yet to find a chair that cost under 1k that has any reputation to pass 5 year (assuming used heavily daily). Like I said, refurb or used might be an alternative.

Some companies, before this situation, offer new employees who choose to work from home instead of the office a budget for home office. I suspect, after this event, I suspect that such program might be expanded (greater budget) and more companies have it. This might cover you mostly or all a new chair. 

Personally, I suggest a premium height adjustable desk and a good chair. Height adjustable desk allows you to move a bit and stand up here and there. But also have the desk at exactly your height while sitting so that your arms aren't too high or too low for one (which is often the case, but it if already perfect for you, then great!).

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I have yet to find a chair that cost under 1k that has any reputation to pass 5 year (assuming used heavily daily). Like I said, refurb or used might be an alternative.

Some companies, before this situation, offer new employees who choose to work from home instead of the office a budget for home office. I suspect, after this event, I suspect that such program might be expanded (greater budget) and more companies have it. This might cover you mostly or all a new chair. 

If only I had a job that allowed me to work from home. Unfortunately my job is more physical in nature. And essential.

Not essential pay, that's for ****ing sure. They've even put a freeze on wage increases, and I'm 3 months past my yearly review and increase.

Currently looking for any better employer I can find. I make absurd amounts of money for this company and knock deployments out of the park (the customers are always happy) and yet I get treated like that.

*more drunken employment ramblings*

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

If only I had a job that allowed me to work from home. Unfortunately my job is more physical in nature. And essential.

Not essential pay, that's for ****ing sure. They've even put a freeze on wage increases, and I'm 3 months past my yearly review and increase.

Currently looking for any better employer I can find. I make absurd amounts of money for this company and knock deployments out of the park (the customers are always happy) and yet I get treated like that.

*more drunken employment ramblings*

Well such as life... some don't see value in one. They'll see once they go. But then it would be too late.

Greed is also a factor. Why should the company pay you more, if you seem happy to work for the company?

All this will be answered once you find a new job and leave. If there is no counter offer, then you know that the company sees no value in you. Let them suffer finding a replacement like you for years, unless lucky. Let alone the cost of training. You should go where you are needed and that means you are valued.

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

Don't buy that next CPU, that next motherboard, and/or that next GPU.  Keep saving.  As GoodBytes suggest, hunt around on Ebay or other sites for used ones; just be careful of getting ripped off (insert standard CYA statement here).  A good chair will outlast any of the tech you're thinking about buying.  And you're investing in your skeletal and muscular structure.  This isn't an area to cheap out and look for bargain basement deals.

An Aeron will run around $1K depending on the features added.  The Embody chair that this new one is based off of has come down in price a few hundred as well.  But it's still a bit over a grand.  Either of these will be with you for a couple of decades easily.

So besides the G logo what is the purpose of the partnership? Just that Logitech blue color? I do like the chair and this will probably be my first big purchase after the Coronavirus ends.