I've never seen ANYTHING like this before...

Terry Davis may not be as well-known as Linus Torvalds, but his open source operating system may be a legacy that will live on forever. What is it, and how do you use it?

Check out TempleOS: https://templeos.org/
Check out Fredrik Knudsen's TempleOS documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCgoxQCf5Jg

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

holy shit they actually did it

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Oh, please , no! I've had several run-ins with the guy and he definitely comes off as batshit insane.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Sometimes the words of a madman might strike true. Especially the fact that I live in a country that the CIA actively hates. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

46 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

What no mention of the Gameboy emulator someone on 4chan made for it? It only plays pokemon I think

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

46 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Oh, please , no! I've had several run-ins with the guy and he definitely comes off as batshit insane.

Online or offline?

In any case, he was a diagnosed Schizophrenic. The tragedy is that if he got the help he needed, he'd probably have continued to be an excellent programmer.
In fact, when it came to programming, he was still lucid well into his illness.

I wonder what the intersection between Catholics and Shakespearean is.

Of all the things I ever thought I'd see on LTT, this wasn't one of them.

About Mount Horeb and Mount Sinai:
"In other biblical passages, these events are described as having transpired at Mount Sinai. Although most scholars consider Sinai and Horeb to have been different names for the same place, there is a minority body of opinion that they may have been different locations."
(Wikipedia)

Trogdor! Hurts to hear you say it's too old, lol.  I still have my Trogdor T-shirt from probably 02-03

image.png.c4f2665414994de4b47a4f941b06e3d6.png

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

yeah i don't envy the situation surrounding his headspace. he got too difficult to receive help, but i kinda wonder how is it like being in his shoes?
(i don't want to demean his person, but i fear for myself succumbing to that amount of paranoia he has (right about as much as any other long-lasting illness or injuries))

Unfortunately he died in 2018 in Oregon, but... yeah, I can't help but feel pity for him. If he could do all this by himself, imagine what he coulda done if he got proper treatment for his schizophrenia and 4chan didn't exacerbate his paranoia...

This is the epitome of what having a real computer allows one to do IF they want.  If I knew more I would blaspheme on this by downloading the source code and changing every bible reference to something from the Quran.  I wonder if that would be as simple as a find and replace.....

If this guy was proficient in C++ he would have had more success programming on the Amiga - there were plenty of oddball software on that platform as well, albeit with hardware more modern and useful than a C64. Nobody in the 90's was using a C64.

Cool. If this were the 80s.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

You guys should take this down soon.

From the link in the video......

Down the rabbit hole @20:20.... 

Spoiler

On 7/14/2020 at 5:45 PM, m4dh4773r said:

You guys should take this down soon.

From the link in the video......

Down the rabbit hole @20:20.... 

Hide contents

There's nothing in your spoiler tag. Did you mean the part in that video where they detail how the schizophrenic creator of the operating system used the N word on online message boards as his grip on reality degraded?

Not really sure what that has to do with LTT's video or why they would pull it down. LTT acknowledged his declining mental state and erratic behaviour, and they're not endorsing the guy or his software. They're covering it as a tech topic because it's something fans had requested they cover.

Terry Davis' comments and opinions are his own and do not represent LTT.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On 7/13/2020 at 12:06 PM, xnamkcor said:

I wonder what the intersection between Catholics and Shakespearean is.

There actually sort of is one.  The Anglican church.  Elisebeth I’s father was Henry VIII who famously broke from Catholicism and founded the Anglican Church then died leaving elisebeth I to run things.  She was a major patron of Shakespeare and he did several plays that specifically ridiculed previous catholic monarchs.  King Edward wasn’t actually a hunchback for example.  The Anglican Church wrote the KJB during the reign of her successor King James.  It’s considered the perfect unaltered word of god amongst a lot of American sects even though the Anglican Church actually stopped using it because they felt it was too inaccurate.  It’s arguably a political control work.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There actually sort of is one.  The Anglican church.  Elisebeth I’s father was Henry VIII who famously broke from Catholicism and founded the Anglican Church then died leaving elisebeth I to run things.  She was a major patron of Shakespeare and he did several plays that specifically ridiculed previous catholic monarchs.  King Edward wasn’t actually a hunchback for example.  The Anglican Church wrote the KJB during the reign of her successor King James.  It’s considered the perfect unaltered word of god amongst a lot of American sects even though the Anglican Church actually stopped using it because they felt it was too inaccurate.  It’s arguably a political control work.

The idea that a Catholic would use Bible quotes and words from the Shakespearean English Language Bible is a bit odd.

1 minute ago, xnamkcor said:

The idea that a Catholic would use Bible quotes and words from the Shakespearean English Language Bible is a bit odd.

It was the only English bible translation for a very long time.  Until really recently actually.  The Catholic Church resisted any translation for a very long time because translation has serious problems.  The Muslims still won’t allow the Koran to be translated out of Arabic.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

15 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It was the only English bible translation for a very long time.  Until really recently actually.  The Catholic Church resisted any translation for a very long time because translation has serious problems.  The Muslims still won’t allow the Koran to be translated out of Arabic.

That's what I figured. I'm so glad I didn't have to go to Latin-Only masses.

On 7/14/2020 at 12:35 PM, Bombastinator said:

The Muslims still won’t allow the Koran to be translated out of Arabic.

False.  Translations of the Quran exist.  Even well accepted ones.  However, only the original Quranic Arabic is considered the actual Quran.    (Fun fact ... Quranic Arabic isn't how people in Arabic speaking countries actually speak or write.  Speaking Arabic as found in the Quran might make it really hard to ask for water or directions to a restroom). 

On 7/14/2020 at 12:16 PM, Bombastinator said:

It’s considered the perfect unaltered word of god amongst a lot of American sects even though the Anglican Church actually stopped using it because they felt it was too inaccurate.  It’s arguably a political control work.

Yeah this reflects the time period when Anglo-American culture broke from British culture.  Pretty much as soon as they made landfall  during the reign of King James in 1607.    Maybe even by 1619/20 when John Rolfe (that John Rolfe Pocahontas's widower with whom she domesticated the type of Tobacco we grow and smoke to this day.) recorded the trade of "20 and odd negars" to a Dutch ship for the food and supplies needed to get back to Europe.  Turned out they had take those people off of a Portuguese ship which was bound for their colonies in South America from Angola.  (Another fun fact, the region of Angola they were from is where the Kwanza river is  yeah that Kwanza.) 

Those first black people brought here were treated as indentured servants.  In one court case one person likely in that first group of 20 sued a latter arriving Black indentured servant as well as his white companions who escaped.    The black servant named John Casor was made a servant for life.  The white men he escaped with only had time added.  

Slavery as we thought of it took much longer.  Did not become a racial institution whereby people of one specific race were thought of as fit for slavery until around 1700.   A process that did not complete until the Dredd Scott decision in 1850 which stripped Black people off all human rights.  Even the right to sue their masters.  (Yeah that was a thing). 

Learning about that time explains a lot about America... and connects to the subject because. 

On 7/14/2020 at 4:53 AM, Spotty said:

There's nothing in your spoiler tag. Did you mean the part in that video where they detail how the schizophrenic creator of the operating system used the word "nigger" on online message boards as his grip on reality degraded?

The particular wording of the King James translation, along with a focus on the new testament, woven DEEP into that OS, was used to justify slavery.  https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Verses-About-Slavery/ 

Then there is the history of the guy who created it.  Part of conservative, Baptist/ born again beliefs is that Black people are inherently inferior. (https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/White-Too-Long/Robert-P-Jones/9781982122867)  As that book details.

On 7/14/2020 at 4:53 AM, Spotty said:

Not really sure what that has to do with LTT's video or why they would pull it down. LTT acknowledged his declining mental state and erratic behaviour, and they're not endorsing the guy or his software. They're covering it as a tech topic because it's something fans had requested they cover.

Terry Davis' comments and opinions are his own and do not represent LTT.

Clearly LTT are not endorsing his opinions.  As interesting technology they covered it well.  However, if they had noted that as the creator of it lost his filter his prejudiced beliefs came out.   That might have been nice.  As a Black American that would've made me and those like me watch more.

Avoiding mention of racism is not done for the benefit of the group oppressed, but for the comfort of the group that, at least in the past, did the oppressing In other words, had the addressed it far too many people in the audience would've stopped watching. 

TLDR: Racism is systemic, historical, insidious and nothing illustrates that more literally than the idea of an Operating System coded by someone who has such discriminatory beliefs.   That subtext , if not text, is what allows people to go along with it and not think anything of it.  Indeed it is a perfect allegory for what we mean by systemic racism in the United States of America.   Not unlike our very constitution 🤔

I should look at the source code and see if the N word is in there in some form or fashion.

1 hour ago, Uttamattamakin said:

nothing illustrates that more literally than the idea of an Operating System coded by someone who has such discriminatory beliefs. 

Am I having a stroke?

1 minute ago, xnamkcor said:

Am I having a stroke?

Probably not, but it does illustrate the divide seen in America today.  My sister stated, for example that she feel the Catholic Church is actually a step below Scientology primarily because of their stance on women, with evangelicals below even that.   “They’re good because they’re Christians” as a concept built up over hundreds of years but was more or less destroyed by the Christian Right over the last 30. Mostly by them acting in an evil fashion.  

3 hours ago, xnamkcor said:

Am I having a stroke?

The systems, societies, we build have to run in the machine code of our stone age brain.  A brain for which anyone different was at least suspect.   Let's just say the guy who created Temple OS was running the C++ of American culture on his own buggy compiler and his faulty biological CPU also known as his brain.