Is YouTube starting to crack down on Adblock users?

VOTE ONLY IF YOU USE AN ADBLOCKER ON YOUTUBE  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following have you experienced?

• White screen with "skip ads" button before video
    • Browser tab going unresponsive during the white screen
    • Quality being limited to 144p and no other options displayed
    • None of the above
  2. 2. If you checked any of 1-3 on the first question, does this happen 100% of the time?

• It happens 100% of the time.
    • It happens at random.
    • It happens specifically after I've streamed several videos in a row.
    • Will explain in comments.
  3. 3. If you checked any of 1-3 on the first question, what browser are you using?

• Google Chrome
    • Firefox
    • Opera
    • Safari
    • Other

3 minutes ago, gloop said:

Why should YT just go around randomly handing out money to people with little to no views?

People that are monetized also have gone through that stage of no monetization, and have put in the time and effort to get monetized, and IMO deserve to get paid for that.

The point was that people create content and don't get paid, which negates your point that people who create content are somehow deserving of payment for it.

If they are deserving, then they are all deserving, what does it matter the amount of views? Wouldn't a better metric be time you spent working on the video?  Why should some young idiot or some thot earn thousands for sitting at a desk 'reacting' to crap, and spending no time creating anything, whilst other creators who spend hours researching, drafting scripts, setting up B-Roll and presenting well documented content get nothing?

That is a crap model. I won't support it through adverts.  I would rather subscribe and allow that content creator to demonstrate to sponsors that they have a viewership.  I don't mind baked in adverts.

Question 2 needs a response that fits 'none of the above' in Question 1.

Firefox using ublock works just fine for me. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Also find that Premium is a great value. Was already using Google Play music before YT Premium became available in my region so upgrading was a no brainer, $5 per month extra to have both video and music for just $15.

Replaces a TV subscription for me too, which would cost more and has trash content in comparison to YT.

Personally, I watch far more YT content than I do actual TV so it's been well worth it to me as well.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

creators need to move away from adsense. bake ads into your video in the way of ad reads, i feel those are less disruptive than a shitty ad for something i care nothing about being blasted at the start of the video. Plus Google doesn't get a cut of the revenue.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

i also find youtube premium to be good value i listen to music a lot on youtube (dont crucify me audiophiles) and youtube premium lets your download videos so when im in a place with spotty connection or in an airplane i can still listen to them. i know theres other ways to download them but they are less convenient. 

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

creators need to move away from adsense. bake ads into your video in the way of ad reads, i feel those are less disruptive than a shitty ad for something i care nothing about being blasted at the start of the video. Plus Google doesn't get a cut of the revenue.

I'd hazard a guess and say this is more work for the creator too? Not just the actual filming of the ad but dealing with sponsors etc. Not an easy task for smaller/independent youtubers probably.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Just now, Ezzy-525 said:

I'd hazard a guess and say this is more work for the creator too? Not just the actual filming of the ad but dealing with sponsors etc. Not an easy task for smaller/independent youtubers probably.

of course it is, but it's also more beneficial to the creator. a sponsor spot will always pay more than adsense, generally the sponsor just gives you a script to read, and maybe some b-roll. If speaking to sponsors is too difficult if you're trying to do youtube as a viable source of income or as a business, then sorry, but you will fail. Being successful Youtube is not supposed to be "easy".

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

24 minutes ago, Arika S said:

of course it is, but it's also more beneficial to the creator. a sponsor spot will always pay more than adsense, generally the sponsor just gives you a script to read, and maybe some b-roll. If speaking to sponsors is too difficult if you're trying to do youtube as a viable source of income or as a business, then sorry, but you will fail. Being successful Youtube is not supposed to be "easy".

In principle I'd agree with you, but there's the additional problem that unless you have several thousand subscribers at the very least, sponsors won't even talk to you. It also seems that it's difficult to get sponsored if your content doesn't lend itself to showing your face and using your real name. And even if they will, there's no guarantee that they will be reputable or something that the creator in question wants to personally promote.

It's a lot of responsibility to say "I can get behind this product; this is definitely something you should buy" because if a sponsored product turns out to be a scam, or unreputable, then people are going to be angry at the creator who sponsored it. YouTube Adsense takes that responsibility off the creator.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

16 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

but there's the additional problem that unless you have several thousand subscribers at the very least, sponsors won't even talk to you.

Well that's how everything works, not just Youtube... Gotta make a name for yourself before it pays off, and that part of the trip usually costs you lots of time and effort. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

It's not a crackdown. Google's been saying for months, at least back into 2019, that future Chrome updates were going to break compatibility with ad blockers.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I've never actually had issues with the adblocker I use (uBlock Origin) on the browser I use (Vivaldi). However, I do see some slightly strange behavior with YouTube refreshing the page when I scroll to look at comments or on the main page on my laptop, also using uBlock but on Chrome.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I use ABP on Firefox, and I had some robot generated ads that would display some random keyword like "Thinking", then display a URL for skillshare, on a white background.

That soon devolved to just the white background with the skip ads button, and finally it doesn't show me anything at all.

Pizza is the best food group

• 4 weeks later...

Slightly old thread, but ensure that you have your AV1 settings configured to Auto. Often I find that if 'Always prefer AV1' is set, short videos will only display in 144p. You can find the option below https://www.youtube.com/account_playback

I'm quite certain that YouTube is not intentionally going after adblock users, and the 144p setting persists for me regardless of whether I'm using uBlock or not. Just to be clear, I also have a high-end processor (3900x) and reasonably fast internet (130Mbps), so I don't believe it to pertains to some performance related issue for AV1.

I'm using Brave with UBlock Origin and I haven't seen any ads YET.

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

This is why I'm getting 2 unskippable ads per video...

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Use ublock origin, but I disable it for youtube. However still get blank ad spots at start of some vids, sometimes it times out and plays the video automatically other times I have to refresh the page.

I'm pretty sure if you're logged in, google is tracking how many ads you're actually seeing. If you're entire impetus for blocking the ads is because "ohhh ads are baaad", then don't complain when the content you like disappears or the creators resort to patreon unlisted content/sponsors-inside-the-video-itself. I've seen this happen three times, once with web content, once with newspapers and once with tv.

The cycle goes like this:

1. Hot new content 

2. Hot new content wants to be paid

3. Hot new content wants to be paid a lot

4. Consumers get agitated at how the content has gone from 100% to pretty much 30% and block content (garbage ad systems like taboola, outbrain, etc which offer no value, and appear everywhere) 

5. Hot new content becomes irrelevant, original parts are reduced to like 10%, content is essentially nothing but ads (see womens magazines, most 24h news channels, MTV) 

6. Users go elsewhere, go back to 1.

Adblocking web content, is theft, and unless you're subscribing to the creators patreon, don't even pretend it's not. There's this small portion, of typically extremist computer user, that wants everything for free and pay nothing for it, and they won't be stopped by this, but everyone else is just being a dick to the creator by blocking the ads on content they actually like. Eventually the creators just give up and stop updating because it's not worth their time.

Like among content creation, usually only 0.5% or less of the creators make enough money to live off of, the next 9.5% make enough to maybe afford a car payment, the remaining 90% will likely not make enough to have a coffee every week. So when enough people block the ads wholesale, the advertisers just don't see the content as viable and they advertise on different content, thus that creator may go from making $1000's per month to $10's. Paid sponsorships like what you see in LTT videos are basically a permanent way of getting an ad into a piece of content, and the next thing you might see youtube do is make sections of video unskippable. Which means if you want to avoid the ads, you have to rip the stream first.

On 7/13/2020 at 1:27 PM, Arika S said:

I disagree.

At least I can skip or avoid YouTube ADs. It's much harder to skip/much more annoying to skip "baked in" ADs.

And it makes recommending videos with baked in ADs to others I know from IRL impossible.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

44 minutes ago, Kisai said:

I'm pretty sure if you're logged in, google is tracking how many ads you're actually seeing. If you're entire impetus for blocking the ads is because "ohhh ads are baaad", then don't complain when the content you like disappears or the creators resort to patreon unlisted content/sponsors-inside-the-video-itself. I've seen this happen three times, once with web content, once with newspapers and once with tv.

1. Hot new content 

4. Consumers get agitated at how the content has gone from 100% to pretty much 30% and block content (garbage ad systems like taboola, outbrain, etc which offer no value, and appear everywhere) 

5. Hot new content becomes irrelevant, original parts are reduced to like 10%, content is essentially nothing but ads (see womens magazines, most 24h news channels, MTV) 

Adblocking web content, is theft,

In your opinion it might be but legally it's not.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

and unless you're subscribing to the creators patreon, don't even pretend it's not.

There's this small portion, of typically extremist computer user, that wants everything for free and pay nothing for it, and they won't be stopped by this, but everyone else is just being a dick to the creator by blocking the ads on content they actually like. Eventually the creators just give up and stop updating because it's not worth their time.

I cannot tolerate online advertisements or really advertisements of any kind.

I'm not going to watch ADs to support any creator, even my favorite one(s).

If you can't survive with people not watching ADs then that sounds like you need to diversify your revenue streams.

Also, let's not pretend AD revenue is a lot of money even if we live in a hypothetical world where 100% of all users watch all ADs before a video.

AD revenue is peanuts and YouTube takes 45% of it.

Paid sponsorships like what you see in LTT videos are basically a permanent way of getting an ad into a piece of content, and the next thing you might see youtube do is make sections of video unskippable. Which means if you want to avoid the ads, you have to rip the stream first.

And YouTube would lose a lot of users if they did that.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

47 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Adblocking web content, is theft, and unless you're subscribing to the creators patreon, don't even pretend it's not. There's this small portion, of typically extremist computer user, that wants everything for free and pay nothing for it, and they won't be stopped by this, but everyone else is just being a dick to the creator by blocking the ads on content they actually like. Eventually the creators just give up and stop updating because it's not worth their time.

I don't agree.

If they wanted to, YouTube could, overnight, block almost every adblock user on the platform.

But they don't.

You can speculate about why this is as much as you like, but there's no getting around the fact that YouTube clearly needs these users.

I would gladly pay for YouTube Premium to support creators, but I can't afford it because it's more expensive than other streaming services. And I would have no problem with watching ads which weren't for complete crap that I would never dream of buying, if YouTube weren't trying to track me and watch everything I do.

Besides, it is incredibly irresponsible to rely on a single revenue stream. The creators who couldn't survive without YouTube have baked-in ads (and um no, they're not difficult to skip) and merch, and everybody else is just doing it "on the side"

Finally, if you still, for some reason, think creators are hard-done by this, then look at Linus Media Group. Their audience is the "techy" type which means they know how to block ads (and this is something that they actually admitted in their video about Pi-Hole). Despite this, they can afford a team of dozens of staff and a big studio space. They're fine.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

On 7/13/2020 at 4:41 AM, pythonmegapixel said:

YT Premium is very expensive, even compared to other streaming services. Just because you can afford to pay for it, doesn't mean everyone can. In addition, the ads are periodically getting more and more obnoxious, and I think it's reasonable for people to want to avoid them.

I used to be fine with the ads until they got in the way of the videos. The 5 seconds to skip was okay at first.

Now, it's just absurd & I don't want to deal with it anymore.

11 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Finally, if you still, for some reason, think creators are hard-done by this, then look at Linus Media Group. Their audience is the "techy" type which means they know how to block ads (and this is something that they actually admitted in their video about Pi-Hole). Despite this, they can afford a team of dozens of staff and a big studio space. They're fine.

LTT is actually -the- top hit for tech stuff on youtube, that does not mean youtube doesn't occasionally pay zilch.

image.png.3c76b5c3e1f202cba62e09bac56631f8.png

On the basis of 0.1CPM, that "My most painful PC Build" would have earned them only $560 from youtube if any ads were on it. Assuming every single person who watched it saw one ad. Google pays absolute garbage for ad revenue, so unless you are the 0.5% on top, which LTT is, if there are sponsored ads, usually there are NO google paying ads on it. That video is sponsored by ASUS ROG.

Meanwhile Linus Cat Tips most popular video:

Has 1 million views, and if only one ad at 0.1CPM were shown at google's rubbish cpm rate on it, that video might have earned $100, in it's entire lifetime (5 years.)

External sites often say CPM is is more like $5.00, but to get a CPM like that, you must quite literately be the best channel for that keyword on google. If you're just uploading gaming crap to youtube that everyone and their dog has uploaded before, you're not going to get more than a few pennies in a year. Heck, I uploaded about a dozen Nintendo things via Nintendo's "partnership" lol, during the time it was a thing and earned about 2 cents every month. That's how rubbish ads are on youtube for real.

image.thumb.png.c88ddcd4056375971792ab7f27aa9b3d.png

That's why creators have been doing the sponsorship videos when they are large enough for advertisers to give a care. You're not going to get a sponsorship from anything but rubbish brands if you're not getting like 100k views per video. Those brands will pay you directly to cut out the middlemen (eg youtube/google) so you wind up with more money, but they have no incentive to do this if you aren't worth dropping $1000 on.

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

1. Hot new content 

When you use the "free content" trick to attract users you should expect to lose most of those if you switch to requiring them to pay. If you're not able to raise money without getting in the way of your audience by then... too bad, your problem. 

This also applies to products that use artificially low prices to get an initial following and then expect to raise their prices without also raising the quality enough to keep the value for money that attracted people in the first place. Seen that happen several times, initial product has some flaws but is a great bargain so people join, a few years later the new products have improved a bit but still have flaws and prices have doubled, not interesting or worth dealing with the flaws anymore, seeing the disappointed users someone else comes and takes the place of the low price offering and the cycle repeats.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2