Is YouTube starting to crack down on Adblock users?

VOTE ONLY IF YOU USE AN ADBLOCKER ON YOUTUBE  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following have you experienced?

• White screen with "skip ads" button before video
    • Browser tab going unresponsive during the white screen
    • Quality being limited to 144p and no other options displayed
    • None of the above
  2. 2. If you checked any of 1-3 on the first question, does this happen 100% of the time?

• It happens 100% of the time.
    • It happens at random.
    • It happens specifically after I've streamed several videos in a row.
    • Will explain in comments.
  3. 3. If you checked any of 1-3 on the first question, what browser are you using?

• Google Chrome
    • Firefox
    • Opera
    • Safari
    • Other

Just now, imreloadin said:

People still use AdBlock Plus? What is this 2014😂

Well... what else do you expect them to use? There's dozens of ad blockers, they all do the same thing.

Incidentally, I put to the people who claim that there is something horrifically immoral about using an ad blocker - apart from the much better user experience, how is it different to me keeping the ads and just never looking at them?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

On 7/13/2020 at 11:49 AM, 5x5 said:

Firefox and waterfox have no issues. Enjoy your "superior" browser chrome users 😁

Some livestreams started freezing on waterfox, but could just be the streamer himself...

I noticed this as well. Chrome with "Adblock" extension. Switched to uBlock Origin and haven't had any further issues.

2 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Well... what else do you expect them to use? There's dozens of ad blockers, they all do the same thing.

Switch to the superior uBlock Origin which doesn't have "acceptable ads" unless you decide to manually whitelist a website.

More default blocking lists, ability to add custom lists, etc etc etc. Zero ads anywhere.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, Joseph K said:

your poll is broken.

Looks fine to me.  What's wrong with it

5 hours ago, imreloadin said:

People still use AdBlock Plus? What is this 2014😂

Been using ABP on Firefox for years now. Never an issue, never an add. It's a very nice "set and forget" kinda thing. Nothing wrong with it.

8 hours ago, TheBritishVillain said:

EDIT: If anyone knows how to get some sort of adblock integrated in the actual YouTube mobile app, hit me up or comment. You would probably save me about 50 hours a year lol.

Switch to Youtube Vanced (not on the playstore). Can be installed with and without root with the help of additional software. Relatively easy to do with the new manager system.

Before, you could get rid of most ads on Android with a HOSTS file that got rid of most of the ad domains, but Google seems to be bypassing it these days. Maybe if it was built-in the router instead it might work, haven't tried

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

12 hours ago, Quinnell said:

Looks fine to me.  What's wrong with it

question 2 and 3 are mandatory

Yeah I've been noticing that every time when I'm on youtube, is youtube doing something with users with adblockers?

3 hours ago, krobushead said:

Yeah I've been noticing that every time when I'm on youtube, is youtube doing something with users with adblockers?

We don't know - different users are reporting different things, which is the premise of this thread.

What adblocker and browser are you using?

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

7 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

We don't know - different users are reporting different things, which is the premise of this thread.

What adblocker and browser are you using?

AdBlocker plus

5 minutes ago, krobushead said:

AdBlocker plus

What browser?

If Firefox or Chrome, maybe try AdGuard? Or UBlock Origin? ABP appears to be pretty bad for this.

pythonmegapixel