You better not pout, you better not cry. You better better not doubt cause Intel's going in dry - Another Security Vulnerability Discovered..

5x5
1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

I've got some software that wont launch if I use say, windows 10 1511 but it will with 1709, so you cant disable it forever. Eventually you will have to update it.

Oh that sucks 

I hate that I have to deal with it 

Moving to ryzen pretty soon so I shouldn't worry 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Welp, this sucks. I mean I'm not too concerned with the lab stuff I run but it still sucks to have new server hardware vulnerable from day 1 basically :(

Not going to laugh too much at Intel since I'm sure some day AMD might end up in the same boat if they aren't careful. I hope not but you never know what might pop up on day.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

10 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Not going to laugh too much

"Schadenfreude is the most beautiful thing in the world because it lacks envy..." (I hope i didnt borked the translation.)

Just now, GoodBytes said:

A month is never complete without a new Intel vulnerability.

2020 is truly a great year 

Fun for everyone

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

WHERE IS INTEL 10NM TO SAVE US ?

I miss seeing Intel® Core™ already ..

Just now, Jurrunio said:

I've got some software that wont launch if I use say, windows 10 1511 but it will with 1709, so you cant disable it forever. Eventually you will have to update it.

Heck even they released BIOS updates for Intel Desktop motherboards before removing everything a few months later..... 

and for some reason my core 2 duo Intel DG45ID BIOS couldn't update and started acting weird after i updated windows from 1511 to 1803. i wonder why although Intel said that those chips won't be patched,  even Intel ME fan control got screwed up af (which got me to re flash in the first place, fans sometimes would boost to 100% at idle and keep on until i restart).

My i7 4770 performed 15% worse in cinebench after updating my DH87MC BIOS in 2019.

5 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Oh that sucks 

I hate that I have to deal with it 

Moving to ryzen pretty soon so I shouldn't worry 

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Welp, this sucks. I mean I'm not too concerned with the lab stuff I run but it still sucks to have new server hardware vulnerable from day 1 basically :(

Not going to laugh too much at Intel since I'm sure some day AMD might end up in the same boat if they aren't careful. I hope not but you never know what might pop up on day.

AMD will get affected one day, Intel started having security issues after 10 years of improving the same architecture and modifying it again and again. ( From Intel Core 2 till Intel Core i )

AMD is less popular, thus less people trying to find vulnerabilities, and also AMD engineered Zen from scratch.

But i am sure that in 4-5 years from now, if AMD keeps on using ZEN (but with improvements) it will be in the same position as Intel.( if their market share keeps on growing, especially in the server space)

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

1 minute ago, Void Master said:

But i am sure that in 4-5 years from now, if AMD keeps on using ZEN (but with improvements) it will be in the same position as Intel.( if their market share keeps on growing, especially in the server space)

Eventually they will move on so will Intel 

The core i series is coming to an end really 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, Void Master said:

Heck even they released BIOS updates for Intel Desktop motherboards before removing everything a few months later..... 

and for some reason my core 2 duo Intel DG45ID BIOS couldn't update and started acting weird after i updated windows from 1511 to 1803. i wonder why although Intel said that those chips won't be patched,  even Intel ME fan control got screwed up af (which got me to re flash in the first place, fans sometimes would boost to 100% at idle and keep on until i restart).

My i7 4770 performed 15% worse in cinebench after updating my DH87MC BIOS in 2019.

AMD will get affected one day, Intel started having security issues after 10 years of improving the same architecture and modifying it again and again. ( From Intel Core 2 till Intel Core i )

AMD is less popular, thus less people trying to find vulnerabilities, and also AMD engineered Zen from scratch.

That is perhaps true, that AMD will be affected. But, by then CPUs will drop significantly on price thanks to competition and the performance and reduce power usage would make it easier to swallow a CPU upgrade for those affected the most.

48 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Go with a 3300x and a b450 pro 4 

3 stage 4 phase ( I think ) and a great chip with great ipc and imc  should be nice ;)

i do not buy brand new hardware, not worth it to me. i always look used. from the looks of the market right now if i were to buy something it would be a 1700 or 1800x... i'm not a huge gamer, i care more about multithread so it would do me nicely. 

She/Her

16 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Eventually they will move on so will Intel 

The core i series is coming to an end really 

Who knows.

They will start engineering a new architecture one day (they ARE really capable of doing it), but the real question is when and after what ? 

15 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

That is perhaps true, that AMD will be affected. But, by then CPUs will drop significantly on price thanks to competition and the performance and reduce power usage would make it easier to swallow a CPU upgrade for those affected the most.

Not really, if Intel develops something new and AMD starts suffering from vulnerabilities then Intel and AMD will be just like today but in each other's places, competition will increase and ... the same story.

And about prices it really depends. If AMD dominates Intel then expect the same behavior just like NVIDIA in the GPU segment. (1300$ for the flagship consumer CPU aka something like the 3900x or 3950x), if Intel and AMD keep competitive for several years then yes prices will either stay the same or drop.

TBH I still have faith in people at Intel.

They will develop something to get out of this situation.

What they really need is another core 2 bomb, then stuff will get really interesting. 

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

1 minute ago, Ashley xD said:

if i were to buy something it would be a 1700 or 1800x... i'm not a huge gamer, i care more about multithread so it would do me nicely. 

If you are doing multu threaded things and heavy things like AVX etc still consider zen 2 

Less cores but better ipc and fpu ;)

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

i do not buy brand new hardware, not worth it to me. i always look used. from the looks of the market right now if i were to buy something it would be a 1700 or 1800x... i'm not a huge gamer, i care more about multithread so it would do me nicely. 

Maybe a 2700x ? (better compatibility) 

Those got really cheap before ryzen 3000 released.

47 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

If you are doing multu threaded things and heavy things like AVX etc still consider zen 2 

Less cores but better ipc and fpu ;)

eeeh i don't use AVX but i jsut multitask a LOT and don't really game so... 

45 minutes ago, Void Master said:

Maybe a 2700x ? (better compatibility) 

Those got really cheap before ryzen 3000 released.

those are still a lot more than an 1800x and those aren't really better as they are zen+

She/Her

Just now, Ashley xD said:

and those aren't really better as they are zen+

Trust me they are 

Better ipc 

Small improvement in imc but still an improvement 

Better FFLK

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

eeeh i don't use AVX but i jsut multitask a LOT and don't really game so... 

those are still a lot more than an 1800x and those aren't really better as they are zen+

Yes but memory compatibility is worlds ahead. 

2 hours ago, youngboy said:

The Celeron is my son's chromebook is getting slower and slower by the day. Now, even I am doubting getting intels in laptops. I like Ryzen for building systems, but intel for laptops, and I am doubting my decision now.

That could be dust buildup.  Are there pets that she’d?  Gone after it with some canned air?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 minutes ago, youngboy said:

Intel CPU's at 80% usage perform the same as Ryzens at 40% usage

More cores you have, the lower the percentage will be. You need to look per core.

34 minutes ago, youngboy said:

I don't have any pets in my house and there are litterally no openings or vents in the device. It's an HP chromebook x360 G1 11 EE. Tell me where I can spray canned air into it. 

It’s sealed?  An intel machine with no heat diapation?  If there’s not air movement it can’t be dust.  Gotta wonder what temps are like

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Void Master said:

Yes but memory compatibility is worlds ahead. 

i don't plan on buying new ram, so.... 

She/Her

4 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

I'm staring to hate my kaby lake cpu more and more 

Same.

Seriously considering just switching to Ryzen to be done with it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

4 hours ago, Lurick said:

It's not a question of IF AMD will be hit, but when. Nothing designed by humans is perfect, you throw enough effort at compromising a CPU architecture and you WILL find vulnerabilities. The thing here is partly that intel have been refreshing post Haswell heavily for a while now so people trying to break in have had time to get really familiar with the architecture and how it works, in addition Intel are so much bigger than AMD that they get exponentially more focus and effort applied to them.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s sealed?  An intel machine with no heat diapation?  If there’s not air movement it can’t be dust.  Gotta wonder what temps are like

They use the case probably as a heatsink.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

6 hours ago, williamcll said:

I honestly prefer performance over security. 

you say that until some js on a website installs malware that steels your steam account! 

6 hours ago, Void Master said:

unless amd does something stupid like changing their priorities, zen wont end up where intel is, intel is here because in many cases they have chosen speed over security, its why meltdown and all others can get data, amd says they made zen with security as a top priority, and i think they are saying the truth, as seen by the large amounts of security features they released recently (full ram encryption, per vm encryption key), and not being affected by most vulnerabilities found, and even when intel payed that company to look for one all they found was that in a previous version of the bios with physical access they could breach into another vm's data.