What would be the optimal way to hide a desktop pc from a 6yr old that wants to play "fotrnitee"

1 minute ago, Nbd508 said:

That is literally what I said, does anybody read anymore?

You're expecting too much from this forum if you're expecting people to read. 

Trust me, almost five years of being here and reading is a difficult thing even for forum veterans.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, handymanshandle said:

Trust me, almost five years of being here and reading is a difficult thing even for forum veterans

err in 6th grade youd be almost double the age of a 6 year old lol

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I had a nephew I vehemently dislike who wouldn't ever shut up about playing my Xbox the entire time he was over. I'm not even kidding, every 5-10 minutes he would ask. I tried hiding it, but he still wouldn't shut up about asking for it. I eventually literally sold it for the explicit purpose of getting him to shut the hell up about it. Even then he still didn't believe I sold it for like the next 4 or 5 visits he had.

I also forgot at some point he did... something... to the back of my PC which killed all my MOBO USB ports or something. I actually had to buy a new MB because of that.

So... Yeah, I don't really have any advice other than just listening to him not shut up about it or just sell your PC.

#Muricaparrotgang

5 hours ago, Berkomeister said:

Passwords will just make him cry about me not giving it to him. Don't know about the guest account thing though. Maybe I could use a VM.

Set up some Linux on a usb stick 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

3 hours ago, CircleTech said:

Why are we just examing the hardware ways to stop yout Cousins? There are other ways to stop him from using your PC without going that far.

1. Use a strong password on your computer - 

Now yes, it's quite easy to bypass this with a bootable drive in linux, or some USB related windows tools, but we're gonna cut those off too with the next move.

2. Password Protect your BIOS. Configure the bios to boot from your hard drive ONLY, and disable every other boot media (flash, CD, other HDD, ect) -

Your Cousin can't overclock anything, boot from a different drive, or mess with your computer in general because he can't access the bios. Yes, you can just open up the PC and remove the CMOS battery, but your cousin may not know how to do these things. Now if you are really concerned this could happen too, do thing number 3:

3. Add a physical lock to your PC:

Some Dell and HP computers have a little loop on them like this:

In-Win BUC PC Gaming Case Review - Page 5 of 7 - Legit ReviewsA ...

Take a standard masterlock Combination lock (so he can't pick it open) and place it in the loop with the Side panel closed. He won't be able to access the computer since he can't get it open.

What if your PC doesn't have a loop?

Cut one. Get a Drill bit, and cut two holes. One in your Side panel, another in the back of the case. Loop the lock around the side panel and back of the case. Remember to drill inside and outwards of the case so all the chips fall outside the case. 

What I have outlined here is the standard practice that Schools, Libraries, Government Agencies, and Universities use to keep their students and Employees from tampering with their computers. If these things can keep out College students with CS degrees, then they can keep out your Cousin.

Everything I have outlined here locks HIM out, but does not lock YOU out. You can continue using your computer as normal, but your cousin just can't use your computer. 

Now what If none of these things work? Maybe your Cousin cuts the lock, and gains access anyway?

In that case, this is vandalism. Destruction of private property. the only way to protect against this is to hide your PC somewhere, get it out of his reach, or give it to a friend temporaraly. I do not think your Cousin will do this, but if he defeats everything else outlined here, then I wouldn't allow such a monster to visit my house anyway. Maybe don't worry about that scenario because it probably won't happen.

EDIT: as @dalekphalm Said, you can install a Guest account and he can use your PC without messing anything else up, even with the current protections I outlined above on place. If he want's to play Fortnite, install Fortnite on the Guest additions account, and he can have his fun without messing any of your stuff up.

Yeah booting from an usb, VM's and a guest account are really good ideas but I think the lock part is a bit extreme. Thank you for your time

23 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I had a nephew I vehemently dislike who wouldn't ever shut up about playing it the entire time he was over. I'm not even kidding, every 5-10 minutes he would ask. I tried hiding it, but he still wouldn't shut up about asking for it. I eventually literally sold it for the explicit purpose of getting him to shut the hell up about it. Even then he still didn't believe I sold it for like the next 4 or 5 visits he had.

I also forgot at some point he did... something... to the back of my PC which killed all my MOBO USB ports or something. I actually had to buy a new MB because of that.

So... Yeah, I don't really have any advice other than just listening to him not shut up about it or just sell your PC.

Maybe he connected 2 usb ports with a paperclip or something? But listening him until he tires himself out huh? Not that bad of an idea

9 minutes ago, Berkomeister said:

Maybe he connected 2 usb ports with a paperclip or something? But listening him until he tires himself out huh? Not bad idea actually

Oh, he didn't tire himself out. He would only shut up when they left. I would hear they were coming over and I had tried hiding it in my parents room, completely removed everything to do with it, and told him I sold it. He didn't believe me so I told him to go see if he could find it. He still didn't believe me and continued asking, so I eventually sold it entirely for like $12 (It was an OG Xbox.) Of which I failed to mention it was an Xbox in the original post. At the time my PC was not anything special, it checked emails and played videos, that was about it.

My buddy is also my brothers buddy (his first) so my nephew has gone over there and he really doesn't shut up there. My buddy doesn't like him either. Don't think there's much you can do about it. At best find something split screen like a Lego game or something, or just keep telling him no. But if he's anything like my fat useless nephew he'll just get upset and start crying.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

Oh, he didn't tire himself out. He would only shut up when they left. I would hear they were coming over and I had tried hiding it in my parents room, completely removed everything to do with it, and told him I sold it. He didn't believe me so I told him to go see if he could find it. He still didn't believe me and continued asking, so I eventually sold it entirely for like $12 (It was an OG Xbox.)

My buddy is also my brothers buddy (his first) so my nephew has gone over there and he really doesn't shut up there. My buddy doesn't like him either. Don't think there's much you can do about it. At best find something split screen like a Lego game or something, or just keep telling him no. But if he's anything like my fat useless nephew he'll just get upset and start crying.

Will try my luck with lego avengers, thanks

Just now, Berkomeister said:

Will try my luck with lego avengers, thanks

I... yeah. I don't know your nephew, maybe he's not as bad as mine, but I don't like this new thing where the kids just cry because they can't play games or something. I'm far more inclined to tell them no and try to force them to not be useless, but maybe that's just me.

#Muricaparrotgang

Just now, JZStudios said:

I... yeah. I don't know your nephew, maybe he's not as bad as mine, but I don't like this new thing where the kids just cry because they can't play games or something. I'm far more inclined to tell them no and try to force them to not be useless, but maybe that's just me.

Yeah me neither but what can you do about it? 

4 minutes ago, Berkomeister said:

Yeah me neither but what can you do about it? 

Something I can't say on the forum because of "child protection."

You can otherwise try board games or attempt to do something outside if weather isn't awful.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

You can otherwise try board games or attempt to do something outside if weather isn't awful.

good suggestions but I'd reckon he's too.. energetic for board games and he would just go back to the pc asap when we get back home. Probably going to use a VM/boot from usb

Just now, Berkomeister said:

Probably going to use a VM/boot from usb

You don't need to tho 

Tell them no. Simple 

They will learn manners and they will learn boundaries even if they don't like it 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

28 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

You don't need to tho 

Tell them no. Simple 

They will learn manners and they will learn boundaries even if they don't like it 

Yeah. Don't know why I backed out of saying no, you are right. He has to learn boundaries

No and if neeed move it to a locked space.

I swear kids/teens these days don't understand what no means.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

44 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I'm not worried about that personally because it's what I got growing up and I'm glad I did.

A little pain now vs a lifetime of it, I'd rather get it over and done with because once it's done, it's DONE. 

Back on topic:

@Berkomeister If you're always going to back down it's always going to be like that. The situation won't change until you change it.

One sneaky idea would be to actually have it setup to use, let the kid mess with it..... And have it setup to "Die" or "Break" when they do.

Something like an old GPU that's already on it's way out in a very smokey way would instill some fear into the little one.

Press power, get smoke..... 😁

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

6 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

I'm not worried about that personally because it's what I got growing up and I'm glad I did.

A little pain now vs a lifetime of it, I'd rather get it over and done with because once it's done, it's DONE. 

Back on topic:

@Berkomeister If you're always going to back down it's always going to be like that. The situation won't change until you change it.

One sneaky idea would be to actually have it setup to use, let the kid mess with it..... And have it setup to "Die" or "Break" when they do.

You are right. I need to DO what I say and follow through with it. Also I am confused on what you meant it to setup to die,etc. Do you mean I should maybe let him do stuff in afterburner without saving and then just shut the pc down and pretend as if it crashed?

No, literally have it setup to die or something.

Maybe have a drive that's corrupted in place so once they mess with it, it's "Broken" and they'll have to take the blame for it.

Not that they actually did it mind you, just something to make them learn to respect things when told "No" and any consequenses of ignoring it.

Now if it were me I've got a few junker boards and so on I could booby-trap it with and it would literally start to smoke when the power button is pressed.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

6 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

No, literally have it setup to die or something.

Maybe have a drive that's corrupted in place so once they mess with it, it's "Broken" and they'll have to take the blame for it.

Not that they actually did it mind you, just something to make them learn to respect things when told "No" and any consequenses of ignoring it.

Now if it were me I've got a few junker boards and so on I could booby-trap it with and it would literally start to smoke when the power button is pressed.

I see what you mean but wouldn't that scare the kid shitless to the point that he wouldn't touch computers again? I was very sad when I killed my core2duo to the point I stopped tinkering with my pc for a looong time. I don't want to scare him off, I just want to teach him

Assuming your PC Setup is in your Bedroom: Lock the Door (don't forget to close the windows if the room is on ground level so they can't get in from outside) and keep the key with you in your front pocket in your pants just to be safe. If say for example your PC Setup is in a room that doesn't have doors or where you can't lock the door then just simply unplug it from the Wall and turn off the PSU. If your concernend that they're smart enough to find the cord and plug it back in then just take out the SSD and carry that with you too the whole time that they're at your place. 

Also obviously before doing that tell them that your PC is yours and they can't play with it. In such a situation it would be really good to have Boardgames or a UNO set, maybe even an old game console like an N64. We always hock up our N64 to the living room TV when my little cousins come over which they thankfully haven't done in a long time.

Also if you actually don't care about your relatives and actually hate them like I do then just never tell them again that you've got something new like when you upgrade your PC or you otherwise buy new fancy stuff that they might want to play with it.

When my relatives and cousins come over I tend to chill with them a little bit till they get annoying, obviously eat dinner or whatever with them and then just simply go to my room and do whatever I want. They thankfully respect that and don't just come upstairs at random and storm into my room.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

15 minutes ago, Berkomeister said:

I see what you mean but wouldn't that scare the kid shitless to the point that he wouldn't touch computers again? I was very sad when I killed my core2duo to the point I stopped tinkering with my pc for a looong time. I don't want to scare him off, I just want to teach him

That's when you explain that was "Why" he was not to touch it.
Chances are he'll remember it and not be so willing to mess with anything he's told not to.

16 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

That's when you explain that was "Why" he was not to touch it.
Chances are he'll remember it and not be so willing to mess with anything he's told not to.

Hm, will try to find a old office pc then also thank you. Sorry if I complicated things. 

I want to thank everyone who gave advice on this forum. Sorry If I lenghtened the problem for no reason. Also I did not expect to learn life lessons, to not back down in a pc forum. Thanks everyone

6 minutes ago, Berkomeister said:

I want to thank everyone who gave advice on this forum. Sorry If I lenghtened the problem for no reason. Also I did not expect to learn life lessons, to not back down in a pc forum. Thanks everyone

Sure no problem, you're Welcome. Keep us posted if it worked !

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

7 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

That doesn't answer my question 

How can age have to do with anything related to the topic 

It's completely related. I had one answer that was quite obvious, but reading the thread it is quite clear the two individuals are both minors in which case it completely changes the dynamic.

In this case I would have to agree with @Radium_Angel setting up a password would be the strait forward way to go about it, and ya if you wanted setting up a guest account is not a bad idea either.