Just like that 2005 Jet movie - Air Force to develop AI driven drones next year

williamcll

Some generals believe that the future of air combat may be fought once again in numbers using swarms of automated drones.

The dogfight is expected to be held in July 2021, Air Force Lt. Gen. Jack Shanahan, head of the Joint Artificial Intelligence Center, revealed Thursday, Air Force Magazine reported. The event is admittedly aspirational. Speaking at a Mitchell Institute event Thursday, Shanahan acknowledged that there are "lots of autonomous systems in [the Department of Defense] today," but "there are very few, and I would say really no significant, AI-enabled autonomous systems." He said he envisions a future with smaller, cheaper, more disposable, swarming, AI-enabled autonomous systems. Shanahan revealed that work is currently underway, in partnership with the Air Force Research Laboratory, to develop a drone that could challenge a manned fighter.

He said that Rogers and his team will likely "have a hard time" getting to the point where "the machine beats the human" by next year. "This is less about the success of beating a human in 2021," Shanahan said, "but learning about what does it take to build a different kind of system." Rogers first revealed that AFRL's Autonomy Capability Team 3 was working to develop an unmanned, artificially intelligent fighter aircraft in 2018, Inside Defense reported at the time. It is unclear what next year's air-to-air battle will look like, assuming it happens. It is also unclear exactly what the AI-driven autonomous drone might look like, but the aircraft could be optimized for performance without having to take into consideration requirements to protect a human pilot.

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/us-air-force-to-have-drone-dogfight-a-fighter-jet-2020-6
Thoughts: Maybe I've seen too many movies about rampant AIs, but having the battlefield completely replaced with AI doesn't sound like a good prospect. Sure it would save human lives but it dehumanizes war (if there was any in the first place).

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Can you shoot these things down with a shotgun if they get on your property?

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

if a plane gets within visual range to dogfight with a f35 something has gone very wrong. and unless you can basically press a button and have the drone plane dogfight for you they are probably not viable because of the latency with remote control systems. also it would be awkward if your entire airforce becomes useless when enemies use antisat missiles to shoot down all your communication satellites or use jammers

Ahh yes finally drones fighting drones and humans can prosper. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

The under-card aspect to this discussion is some of the war-game dynamics floating around. In limited engagements between the USA, Russia or China, the attacker can, with current tech, normally get the upperhand because you can prevent planes from getting airborne. Would really be surprised if we don't see VTOL drone craft very quickly. Drones also don't need a lot of aspects. A small weapons platform & a lot of radar.

Hey I've seen this one - Album on Imgur

@williamcll

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Almost every single movie with Ai in charge of weapons systems ended badly. I can't think of a single one where it didn't.

12 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Almost every single movie with Ai in charge of weapons systems ended badly. I can't think of a single one where it didn't.

Short Circuit?

18 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

if a plane gets within visual range to dogfight with a f35 something has gone very wrong. and unless you can basically press a button and have the drone plane dogfight for you they are probably not viable because of the latency with remote control systems. also it would be awkward if your entire airforce becomes useless when enemies use antisat missiles to shoot down all your communication satellites or use jammers

Modern jet fights would probably not take place in close dogfights but with rockets over distances many many kilometers 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Yes, lets give Skynet more tools to screw us over in the inevitable technological apocalypse!

8 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

Modern jet fights would probably not take place in close dogfights but with rockets over distances many many kilometers 

Depends on a lot of factors. Stealth aircraft for example pretty much reduce things to a purely visual fight. At least until new detection techniques are developed and brought into service.

5 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

like i said if a f35 is dogfighting something has gone very wrong and that also takes away most of the advantages of drone planes. the main selling point is without a human in it the plane can make more extreme maneuvers well you dont need that in a BVR fight

6 hours ago, CarlBar said:

Short Circuit?

Now that you mentioned it. But only because it malfunctioned because of the lightning. Otherwise it would be a bad deal again.

On 6/9/2020 at 10:06 PM, spartaman64 said:

Fit the drone with some kind of AI then

dun dun dun dun dun Terminator theme plays

On 6/9/2020 at 9:06 AM, Drama Lama said:

Can you shoot these things down with a shotgun if they get on your property?

You reminded me of angle with a

shotgun

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

9 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

like i said if a f35 is dogfighting something has gone very wrong and that also takes away most of the advantages of drone planes. the main selling point is without a human in it the plane can make more extreme maneuvers well you dont need that in a BVR fight

First being able to pull tight maneuvers isn't just a dogfighting thing, it's also used in combination with ECM for breaking missile locks.

Second a drone can be smaller and thus harder to detect. That means the range at which it can be engaged is lower.

Third, and this comes back to the first point somewhat, missiles are not a guaranteed kill when both sides ECM is on par with each other, (they're not even when the ECM isn't on par, but if it is it gets significantly worse). It's entirely possibble for a large multi-aircraft fight to result in all aircraft on both sides expending all of their BVR missiles without killing all opponents. Thats why aircraft still carry guns, and for that matter why non-BVR dogfighting missiles are still a thing.

Still waiting for them to realize the usefulness of a fleet of EV Drones, able to remain aloft almost indefinitely, with a shit ton of high powered rifles mounted on the side, each one independently operated by someone at a desk.

Talk about area denial.

I should charge the military for having thought this up.

Don't Just Invent Something, Fix Something (With images ...

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

48 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

First being able to pull tight maneuvers isn't just a dogfighting thing, it's also used in combination with ECM for breaking missile locks.

Second a drone can be smaller and thus harder to detect. That means the range at which it can be engaged is lower.

Third, and this comes back to the first point somewhat, missiles are not a guaranteed kill when both sides ECM is on par with each other, (they're not even when the ECM isn't on par, but if it is it gets significantly worse). It's entirely possibble for a large multi-aircraft fight to result in all aircraft on both sides expending all of their BVR missiles without killing all opponents. Thats why aircraft still carry guns, and for that matter why non-BVR dogfighting missiles are still a thing.

still this doesnt address the risk that the enemy blowing up your satellites which would probably be one of the first things that happen in a war or using jammers wont take out your entire fleet of drone aircraft before you can even fire one missile. and a smaller plane will also mean less fuel and armaments so im not sure this would significantly shrink the size of planes

10 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

still this doesnt address the risk that the enemy blowing up your satellites which would probably be one of the first things that happen in a war or using jammers wont take out your entire fleet of drone aircraft before you can even fire one missile. and a smaller plane will also mean less fuel and armaments so im not sure this would significantly shrink the size of planes

Nope on the fuel and armament. Fitting a pilot in comes with significant weight, volume, and shape penalties that mean you need a bigger heavier aircraft just because of the pilot.

You're not wrong on the jamming, (although it's a lot harder to jam or shoot down satellites en mass than you'd think), and taking out satellites, but western militaries have pretty much completely given up planning for a war with an equivalent military power these days.