Twitch streamers threatened with channel bans over copyrighted music

TimeOmnivore

is this why my clip of hikaru getting brain damage from watching xqc stalemate got deleted and when i check the clips theres only like 8 clips

rip from now on im uploading all my clips i really want to keep to streamable

43 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

I always hated this crap thqr literally completely can scuff your content be it YT or twitch. This type of copyright is such annoyance. I know number of streamers just playing non copyright music so no issues. Other way, delete all clips and vods hah. 

Until some jackass claims that non-copywritten music as theirs and then the creator has to prove their innocence and fight tooth and nail.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Pretty entitled some streamers. They should be lucky to play copyrighted music on stream without paying

6 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Pretty entitled some streamers. They should be lucky to play copyrighted music on stream without paying

Yeah how entitled some of them are to play a game with licensed music and the streamer does a funny while michael jackson plays in the background and they get banned for the clip haha how entitled

I'm not saying that's every situation here, mind you, but that's now a very distinct possibility of something a streamer could be banned for.

It was never permitted to playback copyrighted music, so they are kinda reaping what they sowed there. It's unfortunate, but it was expected, even if there was nothing being done about it for the longest of time.

(not talking about in-game music here, that SUCKS and frankly shouldn't be. Mostly talking about the streamers who are playing "their own music" in the background while they talk or play a game... There's ton of those, especially in the Just Chatting section on Twitch)

What irks me though, is that they are going after CLIPS (Which are anywhere between 5 seconds to 1 minute... AIN'T NOBODY WATCHING A CLIP TO LISTEN TO PART OF YOUR MUSIC, ridiculous), which are things made by the viewers and on which the streamer barely has any control over if I am to understand what some streamers have said about how even if they are advised to delete clips, the interface is shit and it doesn't work. That they can't mass delete clips or anything like that, it just doesn't work.

Spoiler

jovjjDc.png

And while Twitch would mute part of the VOD before that contained copyrighted stuff, lately even "muted" parts of a VOD are still playing audio just fine for me... Feels like there's more things broken than expected.

Though the fact that unlike Youtube, copyright strikes never expire on Twitch.... Is a sad thing indeed. Because it's like saying "this person will never change", even years from now, that strike will still be on their channel.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

29 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Until some jackass claims that non-copywritten music as theirs and then the creator has to prove their innocence and fight tooth and nail.

No there are actual non-copyright music out there already it's know, depends on user what he uses. Limited yes but yeah..

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 hours ago, porina said:

While not perfect by any means, if Twitch could adopt a Youtube style content identification system ...

Twitch does, how do you think they were able to send so many DMCA's.

The ideal situation, for both Twitch and Youtube is to ID content that contains "claimed" audio and either:

a) withdraw the entire video, no strike given

b) mute the claimed section, no strike given

The point of a strike is to ban users who are willfully violating copyright, eg watching films, or rebroadcasting cable/satellite.

17 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

No there are actual non-copyright music out there already it's know, depends on user what he uses. Limited yes but yeah..

The problem is that even if you use music that is free to use (eg from soundcloud with a PD, royalty-free, or some CC licenses), that doesn't stop some asshat to claim it on youtube and twitch so they can steal the ad revenue.

25 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

As @Kisai said, that won't stop someone from trying. There are many instances of big labels claiming copyright on stuff they don't even own, heck they have automated systems that claim copyright on their own channels from time to time.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

13 minutes ago, Kisai said:

The problem is that even if you use music that is free to use (eg from soundcloud with a PD, royalty-free, or some CC licenses), that doesn't stop some asshat to claim it on youtube and twitch so they can steal the ad revenue.

As far as on twitch from streamers I know that use it for years had no issues though. The systems on both sites should be way better that is true.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

As @Kisai said, that won't stop someone from trying. There are many instances of big labels claiming copyright on stuff they don't even own, heck they have automated systems that claim copyright on their own channels from time to time.

Yeah systems really are lame and it seems those companies don't care enough to fix that. Can't say for everyone or YT user using, their system is trash, though on Twitch I've never heard of such issues from streamers I know for years that use royalty free music.

4 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah systems really are lame and it seems those companies don't care enough to fix that. Can't say for everyone or YT user using, their system is trash, though on Twitch I've never heard of such issues from streamers I know for years that use royalty free music.

That's because reporting systems only really allow you to shotgun DMCA's.

- send a list of URL's, that probably had to be cribbed from google or other search engines. Nobody, read nobody, can review individually 1000's of items, even though there is a requirement to do so.

- YT, Twitch, and thousands of other sites tend to have SEO optimization nonsense that makes multiple url's point to the same content. So shotgunning tends to be the only option for these sites.

Filing a DMCA to google for example, only lets you do it 1000 items at a time, ONLY. Crappier forms like that which cloudflare has, are further designed to make sending DMCA's more fustrating and slower, so even less opportunity to review the content is done.

The thing is, with Youtube, Twitch, Mixer, Facebook, etc, the way things "should" work, is that the copyright owner gets a message that "this video may contain copyright content that you have claimed previously" and they should actually click to review it. However, will lawyers know every single piece of music that a recording studio owns? Unlikely. The artist isn't going to spend time doing it either.

So a lot of DMCA stuff is operating in a vacuum where the people sending the reports don't know if they're wrong, and the people being hit with the reports aren't provided with a way to negotiate, or even show the license they do have.

And that's the gaping hole in trying to meet everyone in the middle. There's no negotiation, no opportunity to learn and withdraw/mute the item.

Twitch has been a joke for a very long time now. Now people are threatened to get banned over "copyright music"? I call this bullshit move but what do you expect from a streaming service that doesn't ban THOTS.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

While I feel for the twitch streamers…I also don't.  Suck it up and go through your content to edit out or take down music you don't own, or go pay for a license of it if the non-edited clip is important.

Streamers are in a content production and distribution business…and in these cases are using other people's copyrighted content without permission (it has been argued in the past that this can legally apply to their game content as well, though it would be suicidal for a game developer to try and enforce at this point).  If somebody were to take a popular streamer's stream and start re-using it continually for profit without paying the streamer, they'd be upset too.

While I agree with the many many calls of complete copyright/patent/trademark reform, easier methods of licensing economically, etc...that has not happened yet.  So play by the rules until you can change them.

3 minutes ago, Kisai said:

That's because reporting systems only really allow you to shotgun DMCA's.

- send a list of URL's, that probably had to be cribbed from google or other search engines. Nobody, read nobody, can review individually 1000's of items, even though there is a requirement to do so.

- YT, Twitch, and thousands of other sites tend to have SEO optimization nonsense that makes multiple url's point to the same content. So shotgunning tends to be the only option for these sites.

Filing a DMCA to google for example, only lets you do it 1000 items at a time, ONLY. Crappier forms like that which cloudflare has, are further designed to make sending DMCA's more fustrating and slower, so even less opportunity to review the content is done.

The thing is, with Youtube, Twitch, Mixer, Facebook, etc, the way things "should" work, is that the copyright owner gets a message that "this video may contain copyright content that you have claimed previously" and they should actually click to review it. However, will lawyers know every single piece of music that a recording studio owns? Unlikely. The artist isn't going to spend time doing it either.

So a lot of DMCA stuff is operating in a vacuum where the people sending the reports don't know if they're wrong, and the people being hit with the reports aren't provided with a way to negotiate, or even show the license they do have.

And that's the gaping hole in trying to meet everyone in the middle. There's no negotiation, no opportunity to learn and withdraw/mute the item.

Yeah an issue indeed, I've heard a talk about this on a stream, it's definitely something that needs to be looked at, especially how well day to day internet and interactivity evolves.

39 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Twitch does, how do you think they were able to send so many DMCA's.

Twitch doesn't initiate the DMCAs. That's the job of the copyright holders. Twitch's role is only to pass it along.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

This really isn't that crazy or outrageous. If you decide to rebroadcast copyrighted material, expect to face consequences. Simple.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

18 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

This really isn't that crazy or outrageous. If you decide to rebroadcast copyrighted material, expect to face consequences. Simple.

me: plays clannad*

key sound labels who made the game music: so you have chosen copyright strike

sorry my bad for not muting the game i guess

1 hour ago, justpoet said:

While I feel for the twitch streamers…I also don't.  Suck it up and go through your content to edit out or take down music you don't own, or go pay for a license of it if the non-edited clip is important

the thing is they don't make the clips it is stuff viewers create and there can been thousands made in a year.

I really want copyright to be shrank to 40 years, I'll accept 50 but nothing longer. both so we can have older music to use without having to worry and so that a full rewrite can happen.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

6 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

the thing is they don't make the clips it is stuff viewers create and there can been thousands made in a year.

This is penance then.  It's arguable that the copyright laws of today are a challenge for the Internet; what isn't arguable is that the aforementioned streamer(s) in this case broke the law.  They broadcasted copyrighted material they didn't own.  Period.  And they, for the most part, got away with it.  The worst thing that might have happened is chunks of their VODs being muted.  Boo hoo.

Penance.  1) Stop broadcasting copyrighted material on your streams, period.  2) Start cleaning up all of those clips and VODs.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

1 minute ago, jasonvp said:

Penance.  1) Stop broadcasting copyrighted material on your streams, period.  2) Start cleaning up all of those clips and VODs.

It ins't always clear what is and isn't. There are way to many games that have copyrighted music. There are those who blatantly use it but not everyone does

if you read above they are trying to clean them up and the site is basically locking up

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

31 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

me: plays clannad*

key sound labels who made the game music: so you have chosen copyright strike

sorry my bad for not muting the game i guess

Publishers have permitted streamers to broadcast their copyrighted material on twitch. That's not the case for music labels.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

im surprised its taken this long before these DMCA companies to start spamming twitch like they do youtube and Facebook videos and live streams. I streamed to youtube once where I got copywrite claimed that my World of Warcraft Night elf area music was owned by some random company and they didnt take the video down. Instead they just took monetization....even though I dont even monetize any of my videos. 

Until other companies come by and create their own music company that allows internet age usage or the laws for copywrite on streams/videos change it will be a warzone of DMCA claims left and right. but thats just IMO.

5 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

Until other companies come by and create their own music company that allows internet age usage or the laws for copywrite on streams/videos change it will be a warzone of DMCA claims left and right. but thats just IMO.

I do know of a site that once you download a song with their subscription you can use it for the rest of your life for any type of work including commercial. I'm not going to advertise them so no name. To say the least many people who pay for the big music services hate how much of a pain they are