Magisk Unmasked - Android rolling out new hardware based checks for root/unlocked devices, unlikely to be bypassed

rcmaehl

Source:
XDA
FossBytes

AndroidPolice

Summary:
Devices that shipped with Android Oreo and newer will soon likely no longer be able to hide root status due to new TEE firmware checks

Media:

Quotes/Excerpts:

Topjohnwu‘s “Magisk” project has essentially become synonymous with “root”. It can hide the fact that the user has modified their device. Google may be cracking down on the ability of Magisk to hide the bootloader unlock status from applications. In order to root your phone, you usually need to unlock the bootloader, which allows you to flash modified boot images. This is needed because Magisk modifies the boot image to spoof bootloader status and/or the Verified Boot status checks. If the SafetyNet API detects that the bootloader has been unlocked, then it will return a failure status for the “Basic Integrity” check. Devices that fail this check can then be locked out from apps...banking apps, payment apps (like Google Pay), and many online games. However, because the SafetyNet API has thus far only used software checks to determine if the device has been tampered with, Magisk can simply spoof the bootloader and/or Verified Boot status. Recently, though, Google may have implemented hardware-level key attestation to verify that the boot image has not been tampered with. This change to the way that SafetyNet checks the bootloader unlock status comes through a server-side update to the SafetyNet API contained in Google Play Services. However, not every user is failing these updated SafetyNet checks, so the new hardware-level key attestation may not be widely enforced yet. We’ve seen topjohnwu overcome technical hurdles time and time again. The workaround this time would involve hacking the Trusted Execution Environment (TEE) firmware of devices. However, this is incredibly difficult to do as it requires finding a vulnerability in firmware that is designed to be incredibly secure. In fact, many companies offer payments in the hundreds of thousands of dollars if such a vulnerability were to be found. Google, for instance, pays $250,000 for remote code execution vulnerabilities in the Pixel’s Trusted Execution Environment, and up to $1,000,000 for vulnerabilities in the Titan M security chip. Even if a private key were somehow to be leaked, it’s unlikely that it would be of much use since Google can remotely revoke the key. Once hardware-level key attestation is widely enforced for SafetyNet, most devices with unlocked bootloaders running Android 8.0 Oreo or higher will fail to pass SafetyNet’s Basic Integrity check. This is because all devices that launched with Android 8.0 Oreo or higher are required to have a hardware keystore implemented in a TEE. Google has had the ability to harden SafetyNet checks using hardware-backed key attestation for several years now. The fact that they refrained to do so for 3 years has allowed users to enjoy root and Magisk Modules without sacrificing the ability to use banking apps. However, it seems that Magisk’s ability to effectively hide the bootloader unlock status is soon coming to an end.

My Thoughts:

It's finally here. Google has properly patched SafetyNet. Looks like I'll be carrying around two devices whenever Lineage stops supporting my current Motorola device. I don't know if topjohnwu can get past this one...

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Damnit. This doesn't make LineageOS impossible to use. It just means re-locking the bootloader once LineageOS is installed. Thus effectively killing off A) Rooting and B) keeping your bootloader unlocked.

Honestly this feels like such a scummy thing to do. Google shouldn't be trying to make it harder for the custom rom community to use Android.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

18 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Damnit. This doesn't make LineageOS impossible to use. It just means re-locking the bootloader once LineageOS is installed. Thus effectively killing off A) Rooting and B) keeping your bootloader unlocked.

Honestly this feels like such a scummy thing to do. Google shouldn't be trying to make it harder for the custom rom community to use Android.

On the otherhand, Google has realized app developers are shit at security and has decided to take matters into it's own hands, but ow :( 

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

On the otherhand, Google has realized app developers are shit at security and has decided to take matters into it's own hands, but ow :( 

No, Google realized people were using firmwares that don't send shit back to Google. But using rooted firmware or even just unlocked bootloader, many banking apps refuse to work entirely.

Aw man...

I just don't get why they don't like root so much. We just want to take control over our devices, is that just asking for too much?

Heck in my case, 95% of the time I use root to get rid of "system apps" (read: bloatware) that are otherwise irremovable. While the other 5% is to play around with it with Magisk, like installing Youtube Vanced and what not. (Though you can do so without root...)

So really... I wouldn't need root if manufacturers would stop adding junk to their devices and if Google trimmed down the fat/let us choose during setup if we wanted the entire Gapps suite or not. The fewer crap that is running in the background, the longer the battery life.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Can it be possible to modify the integrity checking software itself to just return a A-OK regardless of the hardware state?

3 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Aw man...

I just don't get why they don't like root so much. We just want to take control over our devices, is that just asking for too much?

Heck in my case, 95% of the time I use root to get rid of "system apps" (read: bloatware) that are otherwise irremovable. While the other 5% is to play around with it with Magisk, like installing Youtube Vanced and what not. (Though you can do so without root...)

So really... I wouldn't need root if manufacturers would stop adding junk to their devices and if Google trimmed down the fat/let us choose during setup if we wanted the entire Gapps suite or not. The fewer crap that is running in the background, the longer the battery life.

They don't want to be responsible for damaged phones from rooted phones.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

It's rather sad they're basically killing what is one of the main reasons many choose Android over iPhones.

Even if it wouldn't direct affect them in that the apps they use would still on the whole work normally, there will be a lot of people who just seeing/hearing that 'google is blocking rooted phones' will be immediately turned away and just head in the direction of an iPhone without bothering to look further into the matter, as digging deeper is too much hassle for them.

I'll just get a secondhand Android One device like the Moto One Action to use it for everything that needs SafetyNet, and keep root with all my mods on my main phone. Problem solved.

Google has no interest in supporting the 3rd party ROM community as it:

1.) It opens up their OS and devices that run their OS to potential security vulnerabilities

2.) Takes away Googles ability to make money off of user data from their apps

3.) Takes away Googles ability to control devices to the level that they want. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Google has no interest in supporting the 3rd party ROM community as it:

1.) It opens up their OS and devices that run their OS to potential security vulnerabilities

2.) Takes away Googles ability to make money off of user data from their apps

3.) Takes away Googles ability to control devices to the level that they want. 

Google has had numerous chances to make their case for unified updates and has never followed through. Many of the Android AND iOS vulnerabilities are hardware-based, so even a 3rd party ROM won't do much to fix or hurt it unless the 3rd party ROM neglects the compromised hardware. 

You paid for the device which means 2 and 3 go away via first-sale doctrine unless they are providing a service within that 3rd party ROM. (hint: they aren't)

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

If google really wanted to kill third-party ROMs as you claim, they could simply just pull their current level of support for AOSP and work on their version of it going forward behind closed doors, with OEM partners being invited to join. Even if the current revision of the source code is left open source and freely accessible, google no longer contributing would kill off the majority of ROMs within a year or so, since having to reverse engineering stuff is too much hassle for most of the ROM makers.

that sucks...

You know what really grinds my gear: corporations who think they still own something after it has been purchased, and reserve themselves full rights to manage it as they see fit

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

The whole point is not to prevent rooting or custom roms, it's to prevent hiding the fact you're rooted or using a custom rom.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

The whole point is not to prevent rooting or custom roms, it's to prevent hiding the fact you're rooted or using a custom rom.

Which then entirely defeats having a custom ROM because then half of the really important shit refuses to work. Which is why people do this in the first place. To hide the fact phone is unlocked so apps even work.

13 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

But what if I like my boot loader unlocked?

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :(.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Which then entirely defeats having a custom ROM because then half of the really important shit refuses to work. Which is why people do this in the first place. To hide the fact phone is unlocked so apps even work.

And that's the whole point of Google doing this, there's a very legitimate reason for some apps to know if they're running on a rooted phone so it's normal for them to make sure this information finally can be trusted.

Anyway, given the usual problem with android devices not getting updates after 2 years it's easy to keep an older device for root. That's what I do, it's been years since I last had my main phone rooted, I have another for that.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

45 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

there's a very legitimate reason for some apps to know if they're running on a rooted phone so it's normal for them to make sure this information finally can be trusted.

no there isn't.

Bank apps shouldn't stop working simply because you decide to root your phone and streaming apps shouldn't behave that way either.

What's next? Bank deciding that you can only access their portals only with Safari if you are on a Mac and Edge/IE if you are on Windows and f-off if you are not on one of those two?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

13 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Bank deciding that you can only access their portals only with Safari if you are on a Mac and Edge/IE if you are on Windows and f-off if you are not on one of those two?

If there were serious security implications with one browser it would be totally normal to exclude it.

F@H

GPD Win 2

There is absolutely no reason to assume if phone has bootloader unlocked that it's automatically insecure, especially if it's just unlocked but not rooted. Not to mention people who do this kind of things have phones probably more secured and monitored than average Joe's.

For example, if bootloader is unlocked, storage encrypted and phone secured with biometrics or password but isn't rooted and has all the USB Debugging disabled, it's no less secure than phone with locked bootloader. You can't access data because it's encrypted, you can't flash anything on it because USB Debugging is off and only way to get debugging ON is to get into phone and enable it in Developer settings. And any other tinkering with it wipes the data, reset erases banking apps too so you can't abuse that, then what?

And if someone somehow managed to get past all these obstacles anyway, some stupid bootloader means nothing if they are already in the device getting past all this. Banking app's lock would mean shit in that case anyway. So, what's the real deal here? I'm not buying into this security bullshit, because it's not making anything actually more secure. Root, fair enough because it affects apps during operation with elevated access to system (even though SU controls prevent unknown apps from just gaining root access by default). Bootloader though, no fucking chance.

Someone can take your phone, turn it off, put it in bootlaoder, flash a new boot image with a backdoor - takes 2 minutes and you've got no idea.

F@H

GPD Win 2

Then the fix for that is to kill all humans, because the weak link isn't the device, it's the owner of said device.

23 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Someone can take your phone, turn it off, put it in bootlaoder, flash a new boot image with a backdoor - takes 2 minutes and you've got no idea.

You literally can't do that if USB Debugging is disabled. And only way to turn it on is to boot into a locked OS and enable it. So, how are you going to just "flash" a new bootloader again?

And this is why the "don't worry about poor OS update policies, you can always root/ROM it" apologists need to check themselves.

All it takes is for Google and OEMs to implement tighter security policies (whether or not they work is another debate) and those claimed advantages blow away in the wind.  You should always buy a device assuming you'll only get the official OS support for it, because that's the only support you can count on.  And if you don't like that support, change vendors or pressure those involved to deliver better support.  Don't just use unofficial software as a crutch.

22 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

You literally can't do that if USB Debugging is disabled. And only way to turn it on is to boot into a locked OS and enable it. So, how are you going to just "flash" a new bootloader again?

You don't need USB debugging to flash a boot image, you don't even need the OS running - just start in bootloader and connect USB. That's the whole point.

F@H

GPD Win 2

Example #132 of why you don't really own your devices anymore...