People stay home due to COVID-19; Twitch viewership skyrockets

That Franc

As schools shut down and businesses ask their employees to stay at home to limit the spread of the virus, many people are turning to online gaming to pass their time. Sam Reynolds from Wccftech reports that Twitch viewership in particular has almost doubled amid the coronavirus concerns.

According to data from Twitch, aggregated by eSports Charts, viewership for March has nearly doubled compared to the same time last year. During the past week, Twitch had an average concurrent viewership of 2.2 million while during February and March 2018 Twitch averaged around 1.18 million viewers.

Over at TwitchTracker, which reports slightly lower numbers than eSports Charts, the most popular game for Twitch streamers continues to be League of Legends, followed by Fortnite, and Grand Theft Auto V. The site reports that during the past week, viewers spent a collective 28,264,690 hours watching League of Legends.

In Italy, which has shut down schools, and most places of work, for the foreseeable future, Telecom Italia reported to analysts that it had seen an increase of more than 70% of Internet traffic largely thanks to a spike in online gaming according to Bloomberg.

As more people spend their time at home instead of going out, or are forced to do remote work, content delivery network Akamai (NASDAQ:AKAM 80.05 -8.01%) reports that Internet traffic is up by 29% compared to the 60 day-over-day rolling average. Major hotspots of traffic bumps include the United States, up 19%, India, up 13%, Japan, up 7%, and Australia, up 5%.

Although Akamai is down around 11% since its last earnings report it was one of the few stocks to make some positive gains during the Thursday trading session, edging up 1%. In comparison, the S&P 500 posted a loss of 4.89%. While the Dow lost 5.86%, and the NASDAQ, a tech-heavy index, slid by 4.7%. Likely Akamai will continue to buck the market and post gains as companies heavily invest in cloud services to accommodate a workforce that’s stuck at home.

My thoughts went on a weird tangent over this one. 2020 might be a bad year for most businesses, especially in the hospitality sector, and a shockingly good year for developers of remote productivity tools, game development studios, content creators, and internet entertainers. More people staying at home means more people watching Twitch, YouTube, and buying games they never had the time to play before which is an unsurprising but still mildly peculiar development of events.

As productivity tools improve, it might open many businesses' eyes on the benefits of letting people work from home. Perhaps, when the viral storm calms, the practice of remote work will stick, and more employers will be prone to letting more people do that.

How about on microsoft's side?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

According to data from Twitch, aggregated by eSports Charts, viewership for March has nearly doubled compared to the same time last year. During the past week, Twitch had an average concurrent viewership of 2.2 million while during February and March 2018 Twitch averaged around 1.18 million viewers.

February/March 2018 was two years ago, not one. :(

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

February/March 2018 was two years ago, not one. :(

Maybe the first and second sentences are completely unrelated and it is just extremely poorly written?

:)

7 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Maybe the first and second sentences are completely unrelated and it is just extremely poorly written?

Well it is wccftech so either is possible. Though it looks like a typo writing 2018 instead of 2019.
The page they link as the source for the data shows that in Feb/March 2018 twitch had an average of 850k and 900k viewers for the month respectively. For Feb/March 2019 it was an average of 1.2M and 1.16M. Since the article claims an average for the two months of 1.18M it would be for the 2019 monthly data.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 minutes ago, Spotty said:

February/March 2018 was two years ago, not one.

It will take some time for everyone to realise it's already 2020; some still live thinking it's 2019

7 minutes ago, That Franc said:

It will take some time for everyone to realise it's already 2020; some still live thinking it's 2019

*knock knock*

Wake up

It's not 2020, it's 2060

10 minutes ago, Syaoran said:

*knock knock*

Wake up

It's not 2020, it's 2060

wake me up when its 04:20 AM in 2069. i would like a few more years in the roaring 20`s

40 minutes ago, That Franc said:

As schools shut down and businesses ask their employees to stay at home to limit the spread of the virus, many people are turning to online gaming to pass their time. Sam Reynolds from Wccftech reports that Twitch viewership in particular has almost doubled amid the coronavirus concerns.

My thoughts went on a weird tangent over this one. 2020 might be a bad year for most businesses, especially in the hospitality sector, and a shockingly good year for developers of remote productivity tools, game development studios, content creators, and internet entertainers. More people staying at home means more people watching Twitch, YouTube, and buying games they never had the time to play before which is an unsurprising but still mildly peculiar development of events.

As productivity tools improve, it might open many businesses' eyes on the benefits of letting people work from home. Perhaps, when the viral storm calms, the practice of remote work will stick, and more employers will be prone to letting more people do that.

Was joking with a friend to be Long on "work from home" products companies and paper products, today.

Given the upcoming gaming release calendar and the launch of COD:Warzone, looks also like Long Gaming Stocks might be a thing as well. DOOM Eternal and Animal Crossing are going to sell really well.

Great, first they grab all the tuna, then all the toilet paper, now it is all the broadband :D . I wonder what needs to happen to see the first providers having to throttle....

I am halfway jealous, after being on vacation I need to go back into work Monday. 

I was staying at home before the virus. 

Same here.
Never really go anywhere unless I have to and it's almost always a quick trip out when I do.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

I to have been thinking about all the stuff that is going to sell like crazy as this thing passes through my country.

I figure all sorts of online companies will be making record profits during this, especially amazon.

Just from people being bored at home they will probably buy extra stuff online.

Not to mention all the companies who make, ship and sell cleaning products, TP and food must have their employees working constant overtime shifts just to keep up with the demand.

I was in the Walmart yesterday and they can't put the stuff on the shelves fast enough lol.

People are buying like crazy. ?

All that surge in buying has to be good for the US economy.

News people are dooming and glooming here but I think the USA is a economic buying monster and will come out on top. ?

Looking forward to doing more video gaming at home myself with going out of the house less!

This Coronavirus outbreak has really shifted the gears for most industries (upwards or downwards, depends on your mileage). While shill-houses like the stock market (and its brokers) have plummeted through the window, tech and software is seeing a steady rise in sales. I don't know what else to attribute it to, except that people have a lot of home time now - and being at home is synonymous to living around tech now.

The fact that coronavirus (covid-19) has spiked, not only Twitch, but also other streaming sites as well - really isn't as shocking, as much as it is expected. We're about to see a rise in tech related news in the days ahead, my dudes.
~Engineer.AI

Engineer.AI

5 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

Twitch Plays My E-Learning Homework

I would actually unironically be up for this. I'm a self-study student at home and having a livestream of other people studying along to their own thing just so I don't feel lonely would honestly be kind of wholesome.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Hey makes sense, schools and certain work places closed, also tournaments happening and people have more free time. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

Twitch Plays My E-Learning Homework

You say this as a joke, but I know of technical support call centers that have genuinely considered streaming options and discord chat servers as an alternative support method in the event that their call center closes down for this virus. I think we are going to witness some very creative options for businesses that want to support their customers while also keeping the safety of their team in mind. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

5 hours ago, Intergalacticbits said:

I to have been thinking about all the stuff that is going to sell like crazy as this thing passes through my country.

I figure all sorts of online companies will be making record profits during this, especially amazon.

Just from people being bored at home they will probably buy extra stuff online.

Not to mention all the companies who make, ship and sell cleaning products, TP and food must have their employees working constant overtime shifts just to keep up with the demand.

I was in the Walmart yesterday and they can't put the stuff on the shelves fast enough lol.

People are buying like crazy?

All that surge in buying has to be good for the US economy.

News people are dooming and glooming here but I think the USA is a economic buying monster and will come out on top. ?

The local Wal-Mart here is completely blown out, they placed plastic storage totes on the shelves where it was. I heard they were cleaning the shelves and while that may be true, I can promise you the customers will be cleaning them too once restocked.

Paper towels, plates and whatever else is paper related is just selling out. Canned/dry goods haven't really started selling JUST yet but it's coming.

One effect it could have would be cheaper gas prices for a little while, less travelling and so on but still, keep your tanks topped off.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

When you hoped that Twitch would die soon....Coronavirus brings more viewers to that site....le sigh....maybe next time...

This is going to sound fucked up...but people freaking out over this has caused business to boom for me. I am loving it.

Ive extended hours this week and my food order is going to be over double what it normally is this week.

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Hey makes sense, schools and certain work places closed, also tournaments happening and people have more free time. 

Just about every sporting event in the U.S. has been canceled...The NBA, NCAA tournament, NHL, etc...

It's a pretty crappy time.

When Zoom, Skype, and Webex can't handle mass conference and classes/lectures; people can turn to streaming platforms, and MMOs. Those are built to handle the mass load.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

14 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

This is going to sound fucked up...but people freaking out over this has caused business to boom for me. I am loving it.

Ive extended hours this week and my food order is going to be over double what it normally is this week.

I stopped in the local Mcdonalds yesterday on my way home to grab some quick dollar meal supper.

I don't stop there that often but it usually only takes about a minute. 

They were so backed up I had to wait forever to get my food. The place was packed with younger people and kids.  

It is weird how the age groups react differently to this thing.

The old people and some middle aged people are freaking out.

While the younger people and kids are like who cares, whatever.  ? 

Just now, Intergalacticbits said:

I stopped in the local Mcdonalds yesterday on my way home to grab some quick dollar meal supper.

I don't stop there that often but it usually only takes about a minute. 

They were so backed up I had to wait forever to get my food. The place was packed with younger people and kids.  

It is weird how the age groups react differently to this thing.

The old people and some middle aged people are freaking out.

While the younger people and kids are like who cares, whatever.  ? 

Im not even giving it a second tbought tbh. Im not changing anything about my day to day life.