Seasonic Connect - The future of cable management or a weird feature?

LukeSavenije

Source: https://seasonic.com/connect

Seasonic has announced it's Seasonic Connect PSU, first introduced as "SCMD" at Computex 2018. The idea is to make cable management in cases easier by moving the connection points from the PSU itself to a dedicated board that you put further inside the case. 

For now the PSU itself will only come in a 750w model, and is expected to release this month in Europe and USA, together with more content like reviews coming with it. It's for now unknown who's going to review it.

The idea is that the "Connect" device goes into the case like this:

image.png.233bcd8d985a997d03f168d918ba9245.png

from there you have a cable going between the PSU and the device, and connect your 24 pin, 8 pin eps and so on to the connect device itself.

The PSU used here is a modified Prime Gold 750w, as the PSU itself only provides 12v, -12v and 5vsb, while the connect device converts 12v to 3.3v and 5v with the dc-dc modules seen here:

image.thumb.png.d97d7b0557e28905415ff22ef5672410.png

As it has a 5vsb and not a 12vsb, this PSU won't qualify for the ATX 12VO specification found here.

The PSU itself will ship like this:

image.thumb.png.b256a8cd7abc612f8a7704a0fc4d226d.png

and will not work with the current Seasonic PSUs, as they regulate the 3.3v and 5v internally. with that the product will for now only be sold as a complete package.

internals can be seen here:

image.thumb.png.aca26f89d54d1ed49cfd840d7817f48d.png

Otherwise it'll take all features from prime, with a configurable semi-fanless mode, it's protections, rail configuration, temperature rating and so on. Seasonic ships it with a warranty of 10 years, and none of the cables on the connect device will be fixed, making it practically fully modular.

I personally find this an interesting idea, but would love to see this in two other ways in the future as well

• a standalone device, usable with any PSU
  • a smaller version, allowing it to be used in smaller cases, as this looks like it's only going to fit inside ATX midtowers or bigger. 

If you still have any questions or just want to discuss it, feel free to do so below.

Disclaimer: this is volunteered coverage and is in no way sponsored or asked by Seasonic 

Wacky, but modular and even semi modular power supplies offer easy enough cable management for my tastes. Although I expect an absolute nightmare trying to figure out compatibility for this thing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Seems pointless at first, but I guarantee someone like JayzTwoCents will make a custom hardline PC with this and it will be badass.

Not that bad, but I hope they put more force on getting the psu's tiny, with sfx as a maximum.

1 minute ago, Sir0Tek said:

Not that bad, but I hope they put more force on getting the psu's tiny, with sfx as a maximum.

currently the smallest they go are SFX-L with the SGX and they have some flex or TFX psus on the side.

but who knows... for now they don't have anything

Seasonic connect pitch meeting:

Spoiler

image.jpeg.bee3caae47f8a1715b4aa57ccaf6d53b.jpeg

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I'd like to see manufacturers come up with a new standard, where all the power connectors are on the reverse of the board - maybe where the CPU cut-outs are on cases, would make things a lot easier for cable management. you could even have a GPU pass-through or something.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

I personally find this an interesting idea, but would love to see this in two other ways in the future as well

• a standalone device, usable with any PSU
  • a smaller version, allowing it to be used in smaller cases, as this looks like it's only going to fit inside ATX midtowers or bigger.

Yes, seconded!

Any idea if the CONNECT MODULE (why did Seasonic write it in all caps?) would work with dual PSU setups, or if Seasonic would be planning to do a 2-PSU-1-Module thingy? It could make cable management cleaner/more streamlined in that kinda situation, methinks.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

I guess it's a neat way for custom builds that need to be as clean as possible. Though other makers have modular cables beyond what comes with the PSU.

For example, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro that I have came with daisy chained SATA connectors that were attached to cable under weird angles and really ruined my config for ATA fan hub, SSD and HDD. Then I noticed they have sleeved single SATA cables with straight connector arrangement. I now have 3x individual SATA cables leading directly to 1 device. A lot of cables, but at perfect angles, much more flexible and still better looking. They should just standardize all PSU cables and just offer tons of cable variants to be purchased separately. So you'd just pick and choose exactly what you need. And since it would be standardized between all PSU's (at least from one vendor), there would be no waste.

Weird feature, but i like the fact they are trying to innovate. This could be really cool if it was a part of something like the H1 case where it comes with the PSU and already has specific length cables. Cant say it would be super useful everywhere but i like that they are trying more than most companies.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

I'm not sure I like the idea of moving part of the voltage regulation elsewhere. If it was just a PSU with all voltages coming out in a single "hose" to this device, and the device just re-routed as necessary to the separate connections... I guess I still wouldn't see how it helps me :P Although I guess fashion creates its own needs: all this adding PSU covers and stuffing drive cages right in front of it has made our otherwise perfectly comfortable modular PSUs harder to access again, so we need a new device to bring back the accessibility we gave up on purpose... :D

1 hour ago, Eschew said:

Any idea if the CONNECT MODULE (why did Seasonic write it in all caps?) would work with dual PSU setups, or if Seasonic would be planning to do a 2-PSU-1-Module thingy?

by the looks of it, no

but it might be an idea to do in a future version, does sound interesting

even if seasonic has something kinda like this with Phanteks's revolt line

21 minutes ago, silberdrachi said:

This could be really cool if it was a part of something like the H1 case where it comes with the PSU and already has specific length cables.

C-series, E-series and the psu used in H1 all are Seasonic... so it shouldn't be a wide gap to do

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I'm not sure I like the idea of moving part of the voltage regulation elsewhere. If it was just a PSU with all voltages coming out in a single "hose" to this device, and the device just re-routed as necessary to the separate connections...

something like this would actually be done with the new Intel 12vo spec already, just on the motherboard rather than the connect module here. So in theory it shouldn't be a problem, but we'll see in reviews if it impacts anything

Cool. Not sure how I'd feel about introducing another point of possible power failure in my computer, but cool nonetheless.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Definitely an interesting idea. I appreciate Seasonic for trying to innovate in what is largely a stagnate segment of the market. I just feel like this will have too many compatibility issues, due to the vast differences among PC cases. I am sure some YouTuber will make a wild build with this though... Looking forward to that. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Love the idea...Hate if it caught on how big of a nightmare it would be for compatible cabling and could cause confusion if you are using something like cablemod cables or making your own. 

Guess they change out the SCMD name due to some NSFW acronym they never thought about?

4 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

As it has a 5vsb and not a 12vsb, this PSU won't qualify for the ATX 12VO specification found here.

It's a step closer though isn't it? After changing the standby rail, it's a 12VO PSU that could still work with old boards that need the lower voltage rails supplied into it.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

It's a step closer though isn't it? After changing the standby rail, it's a 12VO PSU that could still work with old boards that need the lower voltage rails supplied into it.

except that 12vo uses different connectors for molex (removing the 5v pins) and atx (24 to i recall 12 pins), have a different standby rail which would have to be converted

it is a step closer, but FSP has already made a true 12vo psu, but it's probably not widespread yet because of the lack of boards

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Cool. Not sure how I'd feel about introducing another point of possible power failure in my computer, but cool nonetheless.

Not quite true, the way this unit is designed is that half the PSU is in that strip, I wouldnt say spreading the components over a larger area adds another point of failure? If anything it probably has an opposite effect, reducing power supply temperature and shorter cable runs should result in a better life span and tighter regulation.

2 hours ago, comander said:

You only need to manage one cable. 

false, 12vo still uses eps, pcie and other standards

TBH I'd be better off trying to get a PSU shroud built for my case.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

I wouldnt say spreading the components over a larger area adds another point of failure?

I think about it this way:
A PSU has a single point of failure, itself as a whole. If it fails, it's easy troubleshooting if there's any power issue on your system. You take it out and test a new one.

This thing has the primary PSU box, the Connect device, the connector that links the Connect device to the PSU and the primary power cable itself... If any of these fails by itself, how will you know which to replace? Just take it all out regardless? What a waste.

I could be wrong in my way of thinking and I might be nitpicking as well. But to me, the more points of possible failure you add, the more likely it will fail. And like you've said, yes it takes out some components out of the PSU to spread them out, resulting in a cooler operation... But by separating it instead of having it all in the same place, it still adds extra links in the chain.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I think about it this way:
A PSU has a single point of failure, itself as a whole. If it fails, it's easy troubleshooting if there's any power issue on your system. You take it out and test a new one.

This thing has the primary PSU box, the Connect device, the connector that links the Connect device to the PSU and the primary power cable itself... If any of these fails by itself, how will you know which to replace? Just take it all out regardless? What a waste.

I could be wrong in my way of thinking and I might be nitpicking as well. But to me, the more points of possible failure you add, the more likely it will fail. And like you've said, yes it takes out some components out of the PSU to spread them out, resulting in a cooler operation... But by separating it instead of having it all in the same place, it still adds extra links in the chain.

The seasonic connect is two peices. Which when connected form the power supply as a whole.

With your logic you better not have a modular power supply, wouldnt want to add 15 additional points of failure lol.

I like the concept but I'm not enthused with the implementation. In many ways, it seems too limiting.

7 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

I'd like to see manufacturers come up with a new standard, where all the power connectors are on the reverse of the board - maybe where the CPU cut-outs are on cases, would make things a lot easier for cable management. you could even have a GPU pass-through or something.

Now that would be something! Get rid of all of the power cables on the front side of the MOBO.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

33 minutes ago, comander said:

Depends on your set up.  You could conceivably have only one cable. 

then i suggest you look at the specification... with a relatively low power system this would work, but no further